Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
40 Bowery Beach Road
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.innbythesea.com/
- Phone: 2077993134x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Kaldrovich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Misty Beaulieu 207-799-3134x
A word from Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea offers an unsurpassed Maine dining experience with spectacular ocean views from its intimate dining room or al fresco deck. The freshest local ingredients form the basis of our authentic Maine menu featuring the finest examples of classic regional fare prepared with Chef Mitchell Kaldrovich's international flare. Sea Glass serves breakfast, lunch and dinner year-round and an all-day snack menu. Hours vary by season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea - Best Restaurants in Cape Elizabeth ›
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (63)great for outdoor dining (47)special occasion (43)fit for foodies (34)romantic (31)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (21)neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (17)good for groups (8)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- just okayourbrunchoutDined on 5/30/2014The restaurant was okay, but we expected a bit more flare and imagination in the food for the price of around $100 per person. The view was disappointing, just a view of the marshland and no view of the sea except way in the distance. No rocks or crashing surf could be seen from the restaurant.
- Great nightslp2Dined on 5/24/2014Always pleased with the food and service we receive here.Special Features:
- ConsistencyJosephDined on 5/24/2014The setting is beautiful but the food could be better. Some dishes are either too salty or not salty enough and the quality of the focaccia should be higher. On one occasion the chef forgot to use one of the menu highlighted ingredients of the dish. And that was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Best Eggs BenedictWallyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Lovely restaurant overlooking the lawn, garden and the distance ocean with good food and service. Our request to move to the opposite side of the dining room was promptly accommodated due to loud conversations next to us. The food was scrumptious and special praise should go to the hollandaise sauce of my classic Eggs Benedict. The pancake with the blueberries packing the underside also deserve honorable mention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable experiencefrangieDined on 5/17/2014great food by a talented chef. The indoor dining room decor is disappointing not up to the food. But the terrace is great as weel as the menu. Nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Mom and Step DadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Fantastic night. Great service. Great food. Great atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoy Sea Glass and will be back for a third time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentdrzomsDined on 5/11/2014We love dining here, as it's close to home and always excellent, albeit pricey. The service is always warm and gracious, the food fantastic and consistent, and creative. Not the best value on the planet, but perfect for special occasions and a lovely view, or even just cocktails and apps in the bar!Special Features:
- dinner at sea glassdineoutDined on 5/9/2014Food was very good, small dining room, more intimate. Ate breakfast here also. very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, views to matchkenessDined on 5/6/2014Sea Glass restaurant presents you with a lovely ocean view (patio if weather permits) & elegantly executed dishes that are beyond ordinary. Appetizers, an extraordinary wine cellar and you're set up for the entrees. Everybody raves about the paella, so I will too. Their Argentine-trained chef adds a few touches of local Maine seafood to a classic paella, and you'll be happy with the outcome. Other seafood dishes, such as the very fresh pan-roasted pollock, were also tasty and imaginatively presented. Yes, of course the dessert menu has more than meets the eye. You choose your favorites, but you won't be disappointed. We had the Warm Callebaut Chocolate Cake (think molten lava) offset by a scoop or raspberry sorbet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationRoxBDined on 4/9/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Sea Glass and it was a meal to remember. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and was super friendly. We started with an amuse bouche of crostini with goat cheese and beets...nice little nibble. We both had the lobster bisque as a starter...it was creamy and was not overpowered by sherry as some bisques tend to be. My husband had the salmon with root vegetable hash...I didn't taste it but he said it was good. I had the braised lamb shank and although they gave me a knife it was totally unnecessary as the meat melted off the bone and was incredibly moist and delicous. For dessert we shared a cheese plate and had plenty left over to take back to our room for the next day. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't Go BackOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014Stayed at the Inn for my anniversary weekend. Had a Sunday 8pm dinner and we were the only couple in the entire restaurant. The waitress literally had only our table to deal with. Took forever to get water, drinks, bread and our food. When the food did come, it wasn't that great at all. I don't think we saw the waitress after our dinner was served. Waitress blew her chance to get a few more drinks on the bill. We asked for dessert to go, and she came back with 3 scoops of ice cream in a dixie cup. Just not what we were expecting at all for a hotel restaurant. Wouldn't go back. Worth the drive into Portland or down the road to eat anywhere else.Special Features:
- Great view with some vegan optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014The two plant-based entrees, "Ultimate Vegan Quinoa" and "Vegan Pasta", were delicious, although a bit pricey. The vegan soup of the day was also very good. The sorbet was ok, but at $6 for two very small scoops, was not a good value and we would not order it again. The service staff were all fantastic. It would be great if the restaurant offered more plant-based optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With an almost emty spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2014With an almost emty space (4 tables,incl. ours were occupie), had to wait too long for our dinner, The atmosphere is 'too clubby'--fit more for a city restaurant. Would like a lighter, seaside look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We must try this place again,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/10/2014We must try this place again, having come for lunch during the slow season on coastal Maine. Many places were still closed up for the winter between Portsmouth NH and Portland ME. So the Seagrass welcome was wonderful. The small dining room overlooked the hotel's broad lawn which led to a wonderful view of the ocean. My husband's salad with chicken was great. I got the cheese platter which was okay. The goat cheese was very dry, crumbly, without much taste, and virtually unspreadable, and the toasted French bread was overdone and dry. Next time, I'll get the salad! But the service was pleasant and kind. We will try this place again, for sure, in another season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied menu selection andJanefrommaineVIPDined on 3/8/2014Varied menu selection and good food. Two of us had the paella and it was quite good with the right balance of flavor. The steak frites was great too as was the pasta bolognese. We managed to try dessert as well and the creme brûlée was one of the best I've had. This was our third visit since the current chef started and it's never disappointed. It was very busy the night we were there and the staff was a bit stretched. Others pitched in eventually and that helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNomorechickenDined on 3/7/2014Reservations were made here as we were staying at the inn and felt it would be convenient. After checking online and reading the menu, we thought it would be a good choice. Little did we know how wonderful the entire dining experience would be. The food was amazing, fresh, new and delicious. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgable. We will definitely make another trip north to enjoy this resturant experience again. Oh...and brunch was perfect, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDotarSojatDined on 3/1/2014The Sea Glass is our go-to place for special occasions. Excellent all around, and consistent. When there's a special time or event in our life and we want a great meal and atmosphere without doubt the Sea Glass is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yearly RetreatJakeDined on 2/20/2014Every year my husband and I make the trip from Boston to rest and relaxation Cape Elizabeth can offer this time of year. Well..o.k...and for the annual Argentinean Wine Dinner at Sea Glass at the Inn by the Sea. Both the restaurant and the Inn are spectacular. Sunday brunch overlooking the grounds and the ocean is the most amazing way to begin your day. Any time of year the service and attention to detail is superb but there's something extra special about the calm, serene atmosphere of winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaglass is top notchsjnemommaDined on 2/15/2014We found Inn by the Sea last year when we were looking for a nice place nearby Portland so the kids could visit their grandparents and we could not have been more pleased, so we decided to go again this year. We were not disappointed. Its so rare to find a great inn with an amazing restaurant too. I love the fact that they use locally grown natural foods and have unique entree items with interesting grains and varied selections. The staff is great though we miss Misty from last year. My only comment would be to make the portions a tiny bit bigger. Don't need mega portions of such fine food but just a smidge larger would be perfect.Special Features:
- thank yoummandaDined on 2/15/2014our second dining experience at Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea - and again it was wonderful. our server (Jennifer, I believe) was wonderful. Food outstanding as always. would highly recommend. we will be back. We truly enjoyed our dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with a beautiful view!mattlDined on 2/15/2014I can only comment on the two breakfast brunches I had here, they were delicious. This place sits inside this luxurious inn that we stayed for two days and it is small and intimate in the main building. It overlooks the grounds and the views are tremendous. The menu contains breakfast and lunch style options but we opted for the delectable corn beef hash, french toast and blueberry pancakes as well as eggs benedict. The homemade english muffins were delightful and both meals were equally stunning. The staff was friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this place especially if you are staying here but be sure to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food with a gorgeous viewJeepstahDined on 2/14/2014Fresh, flavorful food in an intimate setting with a gorgeous view.Special Features:
- DelightfulDorindaDined on 2/8/2014We found Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea to be perfect from start to finish. In fact, what began as dinner out ended up as a weekend get-away! The doorman and front desk workers were chatty and pleasant. The servers were attentive, and we were very impressed with the eclectic menu with such attention to the environment and various dietary needs. The vegan garlic soup was amazing, and the Pollock (catch of the day) was done to perfection. We would return in a heartbeat! Sea Glass is connected with the inn, and based on our dining experience, we checked into a beautiful suite and stayed two nights. Tremendous hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just ok sad to sayDaveDined on 1/25/2014We have been coming here for years and this last time was a disappointment. The menu is so-so. My wife indicated that the lobster pot pie was much much better at Jay's in Portland (go figure) and my choice of the rice and seafood dish was equally underwhelming. The wait staff were great and the restaurant is quite nice. The kitchen needs new energy. .Special Features:
- Cozy winter mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2014My husband and I went to Sea Glass to celebrate his birthday. Since it was mid winter and mid-week we were the only ones in the dining room. Our server was attentive but also gave us time to relax etcSpecial Features:
- New Years EveoceanloverDined on 12/31/2013We had a lovely evening. The food was excellent, especially the lobster bisque. We ordered the wine pairings and were really happy. We asked the server to slow the pace a bit and it was perfect. We were not rushed at all. Lovely place, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinner- again!jipgsdDined on 12/28/2013We have come to Inn by the Sea for several years now, in the off season and each time we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay and especially our dinner here. It is a lovely dining room facing the lawn and has a nice view of the water. The food is creative and is excellent and relatively reasonably priced. There are lots of vegetarian and vegan choices, and choices for us omnivores too! It is so nice to have such a great restaurant right where you are staying!Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013We have enjoyed Seaglass at both Sunday brunch for dinner.Special Features:
- Tremendous with Excellent Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/25/2013My husband and I went there for a Christmas Dinner at 7 pm. We were warmly welcomed as we entered the Inn! The environment was warm and cozy with a holiday intimate spirit that was relaxing! The food as always was excellent. They also had very good Christmas beverages including Poinsettias and a White Godiva Winter Martini. This is always the place to go for a wonderful meal! Hats off to all! Thank you for an excellent Christmas Dinner. We will most definitely be back as this is very close to our home!Special Features:
- Christmas Dinner on the Oceanwally711Dined on 12/25/2013Quaint restaurant, nice atomsphere, with very good food and great service.Special Features:
- Holiday Dinner DisappointmentJustineDined on 12/25/2013We had expected a special menu, and there was displayed in the lobby as we waited a special holiday menu - but that was for dinner. Our dining time was 2pm, during their brunch hours, and the menu was an ordinary brunch menu. The 'special' was steak and eggs - not too special for a holiday dinner. We almost decided to leave and come back for dinner, but the only open time was 9pm - too late. The food we had was adequate for a regular Sunday brunch, but quite disappointing for a holiday meal. The servers were wonderful, but the maître d was a bit sullen and not too helpful.Special Features:
- A gem found in Cape Elizabethlikes2eatDined on 12/15/2013We sometimes forget about Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea, but we shouldn't because it is well worth it. Don't go to Kennebunkport stay on your home turf and visit the Sea Glass - you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular, as alwaysjeninmaineDined on 12/14/2013We visit Seaglass on a fairly regular basis. It's always such a treat. The menu varies slightly from visit to visit, but it always offers both decadent and healthy options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of missing piecesFineFoodFanaticDined on 12/14/2013The dining room was very cold - my guess would be around 60 degrees and very drafty. Other guests wore their coats (one woman asked for a hot glass of water to hold). I knew this because you could hear everyone's conversations in the restaurant due to zero ambient noise - no music, no air moving, nothing. Our server was friendly and attentive. A pet peeve of mine though is when ordering wine by the glass I believe a restaurant should present the bottle at the table and pour (a lot of restaurants don't do this, but should). I ordered the special which was the filet (maybe 6oz.) asked for medium rear and got medium well and served on a massive plate with a very small amount of food. My wife's pasta dish was bland and uninspiring.
- Always A treatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2013We always eat here when are visiting Maine and it is never disappointing. Everything from the friendly service to the wine list to every yummy bite is a treat! An added bonus is that our daughter with Celiac's can easily find many choices! Thanks for another memorable family dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanksgivingfoodieDined on 11/28/2013We were seated in an overflow banquet room even though there were empty tables for 2 in the main dining room both before we were seated and after we finished. Food was exceloent but special touches were absent. Cold packaged rolls that were brought after the appetizer. Uncomfortable banquet table and chairs and large groups next to us with loud children. Harsh lighting. Dessert was good. Chocolate bread pudding with bananas and caramel sauce should have been served warm, nut was clearly mass produced for the holiday crowd and was cold right from the fridge. Whole dinner was done in one hour. Not the romantic, relaxed thanksgiving dinner we expected from The Inn By the Sea. Especially for the $62.50 per person fixed price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my local favoritesGerigoDined on 11/28/2013My favorite for showing off our wonderful local cuisine without the hassle of driving into Portland. Even in a foodie town this place stands out for its quiet elegance, great service & delicious food. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heartbroken Then Patched17venusDined on 11/28/2013The hostess confirmed our reservation and then instead of seating us in the restaurant lead us down a back hallway to a banquet room. When we said that we made reservations for the restaurant not a banquet hall we were told that there was nothing that could be done and that there were instructions not to reseat people. The hostess, despite what she said, must have made a request on our behalf with the food and drink manager who soon came to our table. She said she would change our seating to the restaurant if she could exact a promise from us to be gone before the next seating's appointment-- an hour and a half later. We hadn't intended to linger so chose to take the offer and were seated in the restaurant with a view.
- Wow!foodiesDined on 11/22/2013The food as always was amazing, mouthwatering. The service is exceptional. Very attentive staff throughout the dining experience. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerTravelForDummiesDined on 11/21/2013It was my birthday, and I wanted to have a nice dinner somewhere close to home. I had eaten here once before. I reviewed the menu at Open Table, and I saw numerous vegan and gluten free options. There was only one server which slowed down the service. Luckily she made up for this by being attentive when she did come to the table. They have a nice cocktail list, and nice small batch bourbon selection. The lounge menu is incredible, by the way. We have such a great selection of restaurants in the Portland area, so I am not sure I would rush back. But if I were a guest at the Inn by the Sea OR had friends staying there, I would welcome dining with them. Nice that they feature local farm and fish selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.