Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2125327600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)good for groups (51)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (29)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (22)great for outdoor dining (20)scenic view (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- The 3 dishes are in largeFuntoeatDined on 3/6/2014The 3 dishes are in large portion. The Mushroom Filet Mignon is really good.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2014The staff's attention to detail and quality of the food were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An overall great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2014Food was prepared as requested. Filet mignon was excellent. Broccoli was cooked just right. Waiter was very polite and made you feel welcome. An overal great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallAlexDined on 3/4/2014This was my first time there. It was part of NYC restaurant week lunch. The portions were actually bigger than expected. The meet was perfectly cooked. People were really nice and respectful since the moment I walked in. Well definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerKellyGDined on 3/3/2014My husband and I was very impress with everything..our waiter was Amazing, friendly and efficient, we had the Porterhouse Steak for two cooked exactly they way we requested. The spinach was cooked just right and the waiter referred the German Potato for Two and the The Jumbo Lump Crabmeat was delicious. I have no compliants...we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dining experienceNYC97Dined on 3/2/2014I've been to this restaurant twice and both times the dining experience was solid. My favorite part is dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive Staff & Amazing SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2014I went to this restaurant to celebrate my birthday and the food and service was amazing. First off, our waiter was very attentive. He made sure who's birthday it was and the name of the person's birthday so they'll know when its time to sing the birthday song. During our meal he occasionally came back to check on us to see if everything is okay. He was well-mannered by saying "thank you" and "my pleasure." He also took the time to serve the appetizer on our plates (not that we couldn't do it ourselves, but he was really nice). The food came at a consistent pace and the interior looked relatively upscale. I had a filet Mignon and it was the first time I had it with some mushroom sauce. It was very tender and cooked to perfection. Must go!Special Features:
- Awsome...Again!MTLfoodieDined on 3/2/2014Every review should be take with a grain of salt, I've see many mediocre reviews of this place. Let me tell you coming from MTL and being a regular visitor to NYC this place is on the top of the list for STEAK and service. The wine list is good, but the food is off the charts! You can't go wrong with the basics; Ben & Jack Salad, steak for two " rare of course) with any dessert + schlog!!! I'd like to thank Ronnie our awsome waiter this time, but everyone there is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great steakhousenewnycVIPDined on 3/2/2014The restaurant week menu was superb! Ben and Jack's is a wonderful steakhouseSpecial Features:
- Cheaped out on restaurant weekEDMARDined on 2/28/2014All i really have to say is that during restaurant week my dish did not look fresh. It seemed that I had my pasta reheated in he microwave and served it to me. nothing really special of this restaurants' atmosphere either.Special Features:
- Great time at Ben and JacksAlciritaDined on 2/28/2014Food is delicious. Good portions. They are very friendly. Service is great. I recommend it for any occasion. The only thing that I would like them to improve is their desert menu. Or perhaps, what I had was not what I was expecting. I had the chocolate mouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ben and Jacks seems to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Ben and Jacks seems to be a typical steak house. Service was good as you would expect but nothing too extravagant. The steak was ok but I've had better. Came for restaurant week but on normal days, I probably won't come back.Special Features:
- We had a good time here.TiffanyDined on 2/27/2014We just got in from Charlotte visiting NYC. We didn't eat until 10pm, but we had a good time. I'm not sure I would come back--not because it was a bad experience. Just because we didn't have an AMAZING experience. It was good. It was fine. Just nothing to write home about. I did get the filet with mushrooms and that was good. Mash potatoes were just, eh, mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Great Service, Food Ehh, QuietchelsetechybabyDined on 2/27/2014Maybe it was restaurant week, but the restaurant was empty, almost too awkard. What kind of steakhouse does not have a gg like palms salad. There house salad was lettuce with dressing on it. Steak was decent. Dessert was good. Service was excellent. Would not go back.Special Features:
- There are better steaks jointsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/25/2014I went here for restaurant week and was very disappointed. The steak was just not seared properly. Service was so omnipresent, it was annoying. I almost got ran into by 2 waiters.
- Steaks were perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014We visited the restaurant during restaurant week and we tasted the offered dinner. Meat (we had fillet mignon and sirloin steak) was perfect. We ordered it medium and it was medium. Salad had a very tasty dressing and the dessert (cheesecake) was soft and creamy. I asked for a glass of red wine and the very friendly server brought one in perfect temperature and perfect taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!valeDined on 2/24/2014Everything about the restaurant was great. The servers were very helpful and amicable. The food was delicious and the steak was cooked to perfection. I was expecting small servings like regular manhattan upscale restaurants but the food was definitely filling and amazing.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week delightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014We decided to try Ben & Jack's for our restaurant week outing, preferring steak houses during this time. Received a warm welcome from the host & manager upon arrival. We both had two drinks from the bar which were very well made. Greatly appreciated. Our waiter, Ilron, was terrific. Very attentive and personable. We both had the Steak--prepared to perfection with delightful flavor. The broccoli was steamed perfectly, with that slight bite, not mushy and vibrant green. The mashed potatoes were creamy and full of potato flavor. I fully enjoyed them as I usually don't like restaurant mashed potatoes. Enjoyed the dessert but prefer savory when out. Will absolutely revisit in the future. Hope to have Ilron again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out to dinnerDeeskiDined on 2/21/2014Went there for dinner with my wife for restaurant week, had a great time, the food was excellent, the wait staff was attentive and the atmosphere was really nice. I would go back for a romantic dinner or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for get togetherEvePDined on 2/21/2014good food... good service....good noise level... would go back.Special Features:
- I very much enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014I very much enjoyed the food especially the slab bacon appetizer dipped in a little of the Ben & Jacks steak sauce. I just felt really rushed. Our entrees were bought out as soon as we finished our appetizers and when we asked for a break before they bought out the desert the waiter waited all of two minutes.
- Waiter rushed us.......NYChungryDined on 2/21/2014Waiter rushed us. Presentation of food lacked luster but was delicious and ample.Special Features:
- first time at restaurant justdeliciousVIPDined on 2/21/2014first time at restaurant just went for lunch burgers gr8 service gr8 will return for steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceloveSteakDined on 2/19/2014This was the second time I dined at Ben & Jack's, and both times I was extremely satisfied with the food. Since the restaurant was packed, the waiters were running around, but still, they were really friendly and helpful with any questions. Real 5 star experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Restaurant WeekwineloverVIPDined on 2/17/2014I went here for Restaurant week and enjoyed it. I don't think the food would be worth the prices on a normal day. I had a filet and it was very tender but they smothered it an a terrible sauce. I liked that the steaks came with masked potatoes and veggies as most steakhouses are alla carte. The servers were very nice and did not rush us at all. After being served dessert I sat there for at least 45 minutes having a conversation with my friend and they did not offer to bring the check until I asked for it. I thought that was a nice touch.
- Good Food, Good Atmosphere!xio9VIPDined on 2/17/2014I went to Ben & Jacks during restaurant week and there was a great option of choices for the main meal and the food was very tasty! Services was good and waiters very attentive.Special Features:
- Great SteakhouseknmDEDined on 2/15/2014A really good steak house. Rib eyes ( med-well) were spot on . Creamed spinach was good too. The seafood sampler appetizer was well balanced and fresh. A good dining experience overall; note I am not a wine drinker but they house an extensive selection of wines. Alas after all the good eating in the first and second courses there was no room for dessert though the Holy Bull was tempting . Staff complete the package with very high level , efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak, side orders though...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014The filet mignon and sirloin steak my wife and I shared were delicious but the mashed potatoes were barely warm, the salad was okay and the bread was served cold. While I would definitely return their for the steak, I may forgo the side orders next time.
- Valentine's DinnerIainfromEnglandDined on 2/14/2014As a visitor to New York, Ben and Jack's made a fantastic location for Valentine's Dinner. I was amazed by the food, the breadth of the wine list and the friendliness & helpfullness of the waiter in chosing the right dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakPeta7979Dined on 2/8/2014We had a great meal at Ben and Jack's. Started off with very plump and delicious raw oysters. Had to be near the best oysters I have had. Had two slices of thick cut bacon, also wonderful. Then had a porterhouse for three for the four of us. Was cooked to perfection. A great meal had by everyone. Will certainly be back for more!!! Peter K.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok, no particularBorisNYCVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was ok, no particular complaints, other than nothing really stood out, as you would expect for the money. The service was a bit busy for my taste and a touch disorganized. Overall, the place is fine, just a tad provincial. Not quite stacking up to the rest of the steak house competition in the city. To me, it doesn't quite warrant a second visit, given other choices in the similar price range.
- Bravo for Ben and JacksSteakjunkieDined on 2/4/2014I entertained my boss from Europe this week there. The Double Tree Hotel recommended this as a great place for a steak, close by. It was our first time and the meal and service could not have been better. We selected a "perfect" bottle of wine, and were served one of the best, most flavorful ribeye steaks I have ever tasted. Hot (but not too hot as in some places), juicy and what flavor! What a great meal and a great experience: service, wine, food and decor; everything was excellent! I would highly recommend Ben and Jacks to anyone looking for a great place to dine in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as any of the steakhousesBeeGeeDined on 2/1/2014As good as any of the steakhouses in NYC that I have visited, and better than some of the more notable ones imho. The porterhouse was delicious and PERFECTLY cooked medium rare as requested- slight char on the outside, pink band and then a nice deep pink to red center. Couldn't have asked for a better one ! The bacon appetizer was also a huge hit. Service was excellent. Ben and Jack's is now on my short list of special occasion places to eat in NY.Special Features:
- Never disappointed!DisappointedDined on 2/1/2014We have been dining at Ben and Jack's for several years and have never been disappointed by either the food or service. it is definitely one of our favorite restaurants. Thank you Ben and Jack for making it a pleasure to dine with you.Special Features:
- Steaks were excellent!CarmelaDined on 1/25/2014Great food! Service was also good! Great place for a group to share the steaks.Special Features:
- Illy, the waiter was verybillyDined on 1/11/2014Illy, the waiter was very attentive & the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Food was excellent! Service was great!! Would definitely recommend and return another timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High End DiningGFlyDined on 1/8/2014Professional Service with the private touch and excellent food. How much more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedThePhotographerDined on 1/4/2014The fixed price lunch menu seemed to be a bargain, but it seems that the restaurant is serving its lower quality meat for exactly this low-priced menu. While the salad was ok, the New York sirloin steak was poor - tough, not tender. The Zagat rating of 24 for food is totally overrated.
- DinnerLove2EatDined on 12/25/2013This restaurant had a special atmosphere from the time we arrived. It has a rich, warm ambience. Service was great except one waiter who was rude. He just took our order and was unwilling to explain the menu. We enjoyed the food immensely. The steaks were cooked as we requested and they were delicious. There was a great selection of desserts and drinks were refilled promptly. The wait staff were very attentive. As a group we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.