Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2125327600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (35)romantic (31)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (9)scenic view (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)Show More
- I usually love this restaurant,blossomsDined on 4/17/2010I usually love this restaurant, but my waiter was extremely rude. I don't think I should be treated any less courteously just because I'm younger and I didn't order any alcohol.
- The steak was cooked perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/10/2010The steak was cooked perfectly (yum) and the service was great.
- This is not the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2010This is not the first time I have been to Ben & Jack's and each time it is amazing. Steaks are cooked to perfection each and every time. But just as important the service is flawless. No grumpy Peter Luger waiters here, just serice with a smile. I highly recommend this restaurant for all carnivores.Special Features:
- Food was very good. PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2010Food was very good. Presentation was good. Service was good. Nothing bad to say about this restaurant other then I would definitely go back. Food was comparable to other great steaks I had The sauce was exceptionally different but very good. Seafood was only OK, but I would say the Porterhouse steak all the way.Special Features:
- The food was solid: the standardOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2010The food was solid: the standard steak, sides, appetizers that all the nice steakhouses have. The steak fit the order (medium rare) very well although the steak for three was a little small (appetizers are a must). The sides were solid, though not spectacular. The onion rings were particularly good (the batter was nice and light). Dessert was fairly standard, but satisfying. Overall, a very good meal but nothing set it apart from the other high quality steakhouses. The steak itself was a little small, but tasty. The service, however, was top notch--just the right amount of checking up to see how your meal is, while not badgering the table. Also, if the restaurant isn't busy, they'll let you stay and chat even after you've finished
- A friend who moved to NewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2010A friend who moved to New York introduced me to Ben & Jack's, I've been 4 times now and can easily say that its the best steak house in New York and could possibly be the best in the US. I travel for business all over the US and have been to all the great steak places, I absolutely love Ben & Jack's.Special Features:
- it was a quiet Sunday afternoon,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2010it was a quiet Sunday afternoon, and the entire restaurant was empty, except for our table of 2. They put a noisy table of 8 RIGHT next to us. Very poor planning. The food was adequate, but not nearly the calibre of the Palm or Old Homestead. The only ameliorating factor was the handsome, charming waiter. Even so, I can't say I would go back.
- This is an excellent steakhouse.JerZGirlDined on 1/30/2010This is an excellent steakhouse. The steak was superb! cooked to perfection: two of us had steak for 2, rare amd 2 others steak for 2, medium and each order was exact! The service, the ambiance, unmatched. The wine list: very good. Frankly the service was so good it reminded me of my experiences in New Orleans and Houston at high end restaurants(Brennan's, Dicky Brennan's, etc). I forgot I was in NYC:) This has to rank at the top of the steakhouse echelon here in NYC.It's worth the money and a trip out in freezing winter weather!
- This my second time at BenAlexBVIPDined on 1/22/2010This my second time at Ben & Jacks and it was just as good as the first. Given the proliferation of steak houses in NY and the shortage of real prime meat, it's nice to see some consistency.Special Features:
- I went there on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2010I went there on a Saturday afternoon around 2PM. It was empty...
- Best steak in NY. I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2009Best steak in NY. I have been to both locations and neither have disappointed.Special Features:
- I was disappointed with myOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2009I was disappointed with my experience at Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue. The service was atrocious. Our waiter disappeared for long periods and courses took forever to appear. My friend asked about the seafood platter which was listed as 'Market Price' on the menu, but when he asked the waiter what the market price was, the waiter didn't know and would have to ask the chef. 15 minutes later (no exaggeration) he came back with the price. The whole experience was like that. Our appetizer didn't come out for an eternity. The wine list took 20 minutes. The food was adequate, but our waiter made the experience an ordeal. Would not return when there are better options out there.
- Best Porterhouse I've hadAlexBVIPDined on 12/25/2009Best Porterhouse I've had in years and I've been to lots of NYC steakhouses recently. Perfect service. Our party of 6 was very happy.Special Features:
- We went at Ben&Jack in a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2009We went at Ben&Jack in a group of four. We ordered steak for 3 (rare) and one filet mignon (well done). Steak was good and well cooked while filet mignon was not, too overcooked to eat. Beaware that they serve portions of jurassic size, so a steak for two is more than adeguate for 3 people. We think the restaurant is overpriced for the kind of service and quality of food (we spent 50$ each just for the steak and fried potatoes, no wine no anything else).
- I live in Summit NJ I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/21/2009I live in Summit NJ I had 2 people join me for dinner They had said it was the Best Steak they ever had and I had to agree with themSpecial Features:
- Almost as good as Lugers steak.BradDined on 12/18/2009Almost as good as Lugers steak. Much easier to get a reservation and a more diverse menu.Special Features:
- I don't see the difference,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2009I don't see the difference, but the two steakaholics that I dined with swear the Peter Lugers is better. I had the Chilean sea bass which was quite good but not worth the cost. My opinion is that it is highly over rated and much too costly for what it is. Dinner for three with tip was 430.00. We had two (90.00) bottles of wine, tap water and two sides for three people. No apps and no desserts. That comes out to 83.33 per person before wine for just food with no extras.Special Features:
- As a single diner it was niceScurbsDined on 12/10/2009As a single diner it was nice to get the attention that I deserved. The food was OK, this is a second tier steakhouse for NYC. I loved the big steaks, but does the sides have to also be huge? I was a single diner, so a huge plate of sides is not what I wanted.Special Features:
- Ben and Jack's is a solidOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2009Ben and Jack's is a solid but not spectacular New York steakhouse. The porterhouse was excellent but the side dishes were weak. The wine list was decent and not too overpriced for a steakhouse. I'd much rather dine in Del Frisco's, Lugar's or even Smith and Wolensky's. They are all much more fun and exciting. But if you're in the neighborhood and need a place for a business dinner or just feel like a decent steak and a drink, Ben and Jack's will do fine.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprise - goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2009A pleasant surprise - good food; good service; good atmosphere.
- Not a bad place, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/1/2009Not a bad place, but very expensive for the quality and quantity of food!
- i have eaten at the otherOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/29/2009i have eaten at the other ben and jacks and found the food just fine. This was pretty poor - there were 4 of us and the salad was way overdressed and i ordered tuna which was way over cooked and just awful. Unfortunately, none of us plan to return. sorry
- Our waiter was a gem. MadeLadyel1958VIPDined on 11/28/2009Our waiter was a gem. Made our dining experience outstanding. From the martini to the main meal would couldn't have been happier!!
- Excellent dining. Great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2009Excellent dining. Great food, superb service. Will eat here again.Special Features:
- Great experience. Will definitelyLBrownDined on 11/16/2009Great experience. Will definitely go back when I'm in town.Special Features:
- My rib eye was as good a steakPeterVIPDined on 11/13/2009My rib eye was as good a steak as I've had at any steakhouse in town. The salads taste fine but come out ice cold to assure that you know they're prepared in advance and not for this order. The decore (including a foolishly glassed in work station with coffee hub) is pedestrian...feels like a diner with wood paneling. Should put some management effort in because the steak is a top drawer steak.
- We found this place surfingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2009We found this place surfing the web and chose it because the menu looked really attractive. The whole experience exceeded our expectations, we're definetly looking forward to go back on another special ocation.Special Features:
- Absolutley fantastic 14 ounceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2009Absolutley fantastic 14 ounce filet. Dare I say better than Del Friscos? Yes I dare. Worth every penny. Would make it again next time I am on holiday in New York. Thank you.Special Features:
- I loved the service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009I loved the service and food at Ben and Jack's. The steak was definitely one of the best steaks I have had. Our waiter were very attentive. This will definitely be on my top restaurants list.
- The food was amazing. TheRustyDined on 10/17/2009The food was amazing. The place was beautiful. I highly reccomend it to anyone.Special Features:
- We had been to the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009We had been to the original Ben and Jacks location and we preferred the original to the new 5th Avenue location. The ambiance at the original restaurant was better. We tried out the 5th Avenue location because there were things on this new menu that were not on the original menu, but we were not thrilled with our selections. The 'surf' part of the Surf and Turf was very over done and not worth the money at all. The calamari which is only on the Ben and Jacks 5th Avenue menu was not special at all. The steaks and sides were terrific and the service was great. We had asked for a fresh fruit plate for dessert and all we got was some pieces of cantaloupe and pineapple, it was disappointing and boring.Special Features:
- I had a great experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2009I had a great experience at Ben & Jacks. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was top notch. I will definitely be going back and have already started to recommend it to my friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- A first class New York stakehouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2009A first class New York stakehouse. Tried the steak for 3, german potatoes, creamed spinich, tomatoes & onions and the bacon. Better than any I have had. The room is just fine looking and the service could not have been more efficent. These guys know their stuff. Key lime pie is sensational. Pricey but not more so than restaurants of lesser quality.Special Features:
- We had the Porterhouse forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2009We had the Porterhouse for 4. As good a steak as I've had at any of the premium steak houses across the country. The waiter was personable and helpful. We each had an appetizer and they were all excellent. I have already recomended Ben and Jacks to several of my carnivorous friends.Special Features:
- This is my third trip to aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/1/2009This is my third trip to a Ben and Jack's (43rd and 5th avenue locations). It is an average high-end steakhouse. Somewhat inconsistent with both food and service, depends on how lucky you are. I've had one really good experience and two average experiences. Too many options to be inconsistent or average.
- Despite a $27.95 prix fixeJackAGordonVIPDined on 9/18/2009Despite a $27.95 prix fixe lunch special the place was virtually empty. Not surprising. The first bottle of wine I ordered was unavailable in the vintage listed; the second was "out of stock." When I expressed dissatisfaction, Hido, the waiter, got defensive and said it wasn't his fault; its just that the wine list is old. I managed to order an two overpriced bottles of wine and we ate an acceptable meal, but with extras like the water, sides (my companion had a $10 order of twice-frozen french fries) and coffee, the bill came to $300 for two.
- The best dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2009The best dining experience we had while in NYC. By far the best steak I've ever had! The owners are true gentlemen.Special Features:
- This was the best prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2009This was the best prime rib ever! If I could only go to New York every weekend. The service was great. The portions were huge. Amazing!Special Features:
- It was my first time at BenReneeVIPDined on 8/21/2009It was my first time at Ben and Jack's. The food was delicious. I had the Chilean Sea Bass. Highly recommend for non-steak eating patrons.Special Features:
- the food and service at BenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2009the food and service at Ben and Jacks is great! the lunch is fantastic, the portions are properly sized and the service is not overbearing. the canadian bacon is wonderful and they have a strong selection of entree salads, including a fabulous grilled jumbo shrimp over greens or caesar. i highly recommend for either lunch, dinner or drink after work.Special Features: