4 Avery Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.blurestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6173758550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm (Lunch) Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10:00pm (Dinner) Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blu to You Catering now available for business or personal events. View our catering menu online or contact, Director of Catering at 617.842.3199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delivery available upon location.
- Special Events: blu Restaurant and Bar is the perfect setting for private events. Host your wedding, rehersal dinner, holiday party, corporate event, business meeting or personal celebration in the warmth of our intimate restaurant. Whether you are dreaming of an intimate wedding or an elaborate evening reception, blu will help you design a personalized and unforgettable experience. Please contact the Special Events Manager at 617.842.3199 or email@example.com
A word from Blu
blu Restaurant and Bar allows you to take in sky-high views while dining on seasonal menus from Executive Chef Kathleen Smith. Feast on Chef Smith's creations for either lunch or dinner while enjoying the view from blu's bar area or dining room. Located on the 4th Floor at The Sports Club/LA, blu is a perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner, special occasions, or hosting an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blu reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (31)special occasion (28)romantic (23)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (7)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- great even on a fast paced nightmikeDined on 12/31/2013Was lucky enough to get a last minute reservation for 4 on new years eve... while I expected the dinner to be nice I have to say the service and food were exceptional even on such a crazy night. Steaks were cooked perfectly. Great scotch list as well. Recommend for a nice night out with friends or even a surprise date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, my girlfriendBassdropDined on 12/31/2013Amazing food, my girlfriend and I went there for new years eve and could not be more pleased with everything. The food was amazing, the staff was attentitive and the vibes were perfect. It is in a great location with good views of boston. We will definetley be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food...alejandraDined on 12/31/2013I went with my husband on New Year's Eve...and it was a nice and romantic restaurant in Boston....the food was amazing, I definitely recommend this restaurant for special occasions. ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance and sensational foodJHBBDined on 12/28/2013Very elegant. Beautiful view for a wintertime dinner. Excellent service--waiter was knowledgable and helpful, but respectful of our own pace for dinner; Party of 4--all 4 entrees were outstanding--swordfish with lobster mashed potatoes--amazing; pork dish was dramatic in presentation and very tasty; gnocci pleased our vegetarian. A very enjoyable pre-theatre dinner for our family gathering. my husband and I would go back for a dinner on our own and would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever time I'll be in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Ever time I'll be in Boston area I'll be stopping bySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!ToastedalmondDined on 12/11/2013Tried Blu for the first before going to the Colonial Theater with my sister. Everything about Blu was first class from our fun attentive waiter to the wonderful food. The Polenta fries were to die for! My meal was the Pappardelle with huge jumbo shrimp....sooooooo delicious. Drinks strong and creative. Will definitely be bringing my husband here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre RestaurantMaxine150Dined on 12/7/2013The food was delicious. We order calamari for an appetizer which was light and very tasty. Our meals were also delicious. Great view. Nice fine for pre-show dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater District standoutChrisDined on 12/7/2013Our delightful evening at Blu for a birthday celebration last Saturday was most memorable. Our table for five was strategically located, affording spectacular views along Washington Street and its theaters, holiday decorations and shoppers. The food was terrific, paired with a nice wine list, and the lighting was conducive to relaxation and enjoyment. But the service was perhaps the most memorable aspect of the evening. We were treated as though we were the only diners in the restaurant! We will return soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013The view from this restaurant is incredible. Te theatre district is all lot up and it's gorgeous. Your tables are all candle lit and the lighting is very romantic. You get good portions for what you pay and it's a mildly exotic menu compared to regular restaurants. We got in right away but I will say it was very loud where I was seated. Request seats away from the bar area unless you don't mind be noise. It was so loud I couldn't even hear my waiter most of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location if you wantpeabodyfoodieDined on 12/6/2013Great location if you want pre- or post-theatre dining. Food was fresh and nicely prepared. Wine selections are also fine, both by the glass and bottle. Servers were friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, but average foodOutoftownerVIPDined on 12/3/2013Checked out Blu prior to a show, and the waitress was very accommodating with our limited time to eat before we had to run out the door, after having wasted 30+minutes hunting for parking (on a weeknight!), and then struggling in their own garage to find anything as well (be warned, the garage that they validate was nearly 100% full on a weeknight, so it took several times through every level to find someone who was leaving so I could steal his spot before anyone else.). The food was okay -- nothing too exciting or memorable, but not horrible either. Had the arugula salad with chicken (which was dry), and the lobster dip (which was also very dry -- I wished for a creamier texture). We did like the more spacious seating, and nice views.Special Features:
- Great food and beautiful viewnicknameDined on 11/30/2013It can be tricky to find but the restaurant is great. The atmosphere and food are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real disappointment!LisaDined on 11/30/2013We received a gift certificate to Blu and decided to use it when our kids came in for a weekend. The service was excellent, the food was very mediocre and the restaurant, on a Saturday night was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop! Not at all our style. Maybe a good choice if you are going to the Opera House and don't want to walk far in the cold weather….that's about it. Sorry.
- We got there late and wereHeidiVIPDined on 11/23/2013We got there late and were pressed for time before theatre. The waiter did not rush or scold us but made the dining a relaxed experience. He was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsjr0705Dined on 11/15/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Blu. We were celebrating our anniversary, and we were not disappointed with the food or service. The calamari was great, the swordfish very good and the diver scallops were awesome. The waiter took a tad long to first approach us, but once contact was made, he was very good. We liked him because he wasn't back too often. They were out of the wine that we originally chose, but they were very kind enough to sub in a similar wine which only came in half bottles. They only charged us what the original wine would cost, and not 2x the price of the half bottles. The one aspect of the meal that left us a bit disappointed was the deserts. They were good, but not outstanding. All in all we like Blu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a very pleasant atmosphereAnniversaryCelebrationDined on 11/9/2013It was a very pleasant atmosphere and very good food. It was somehow quieter considering it was a Saturday night. The view was excellent and the food was very good. Excellent location right next to the theater district and a convenient garage(s) in the area. We would most likely try it again after a theater excursion. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2013The food was absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, the quality of the service did not quite match the quality of the food. For that type of restaurant, and at that price, it was a little disappointing to have to constantly ask for my water glass to be refilled and to have to ask for silverware when my dessert arrived, rather than it being automatically taken care of.
- Great Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013After catching a show at the Boston Opera House, BLu was the perfect choice for dinner and drinks. I highly recommend the Red Sangria, although it is only sold by the glass (pitcher preferred :-)) Favorite appetizers; Thai Shrimp and the Calamari. I love the server did not rush us and left us to really enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experience!jjcjmmDined on 11/2/2013We loved our experience here. A bit upscale without making us feel out of place. Beautiful view and lovely ambiance. The food was delicious, and the staff - very knowledgeable and professional. A bit pricey, but worth it for a special and romantic night. We WILL be back! And suggest it to friends :)Special Features:
- Solid pre-theater choiceShelley1Dined on 11/2/2013The views and ambiance are fantastic at Blu. The food was very good, and the service was quietly excellent. Perfect spot for a tasty meal and good cocktails before our show at the Opera House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blu has a beautiful nighttimedavidw7777VIPDined on 11/1/2013Blu has a beautiful nighttime view and very attractive interior surroundings. The food is excellent, and service is good as well. The only minor downside is that Blu is inside the premises of a Fitness Center - Sports Club type facility, so it may not be the best place to impress a guest and it is somewhat difficult to find. It is located on the fourth floor of the facility, and when you enter the elevator, go up, and exit, you don't feel like you're in a sports club, so it made no difference to my wife and me. We really enjoyed and found the prices to be reasonable also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swordfish was the best I everSpartacusDined on 10/25/2013Swordfish was the best I ever had, melted in my mouth. My bride's steak was supposed to be medium rare but a bit overcooked and nothing special. We were going to a show or would have sent back her steak. All else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair food in a nice placehettyleeVIPDined on 10/24/2013Food was fair, decor was nice and service was pretty good. Polenta fries were interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem in gymBostonRickDined on 10/24/2013Blu is located within Boston's LA Fitness Club and therefore might not get the foot traffic it deserves. But the food is consistently terrific, the small dining room is intimate, and it offers views of Downtown Crossing from its 6th floor floor-to-ceiling windows. A great place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Treat in SportClubLAHilaryDined on 10/21/2013We are staying at the Hyatt Regency on De Lafayette and wanted somewhere close to eat. Blu is a 2 minute walk away. At first I was shocked as it is in the same building as the gym and it feels weird going up in the elevator all dressed for dinner and everyone else is in work out clothes, but once you get past the healthy food counter part of the gym, you are in the restaurant with great views from the 4th flour. The food was excellent, we had the swordfish and the shrimp pappardelle. Great wine and cocktail selection, and really good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous spot. Great foodNinkySDined on 10/18/2013Fabulous spot. Great food and service. Close to the theater. Very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual Location.NancyJDined on 10/12/2013Blu is a hidden gem. It's hidden in a sports club but once you are inside, you can easily forget the entrance. We dined with another couple before heading to the theater. The waiter was very conscious of our timetable and our drinks nod food were served promptly. The view at night is beautiful. The interior of the restaurant is contemporary. The food was delicious. I have Celiac disease and the waiter was very knowledgable of the menu. I had many choices. Everyone enjoyed their experience at Blu and we'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Things aren't always as they appearRandyJDined on 10/12/2013When you get off the elevator, you see two things, the entrance to the sports club and a "deli counter" with seating. "oh my God is that the restaurant?" As it turns out the actual restaurant is a few more feet past the deli counter. The place was empty when we showed up a little early for our 6pm reservations, so finding a nice table was no problem. The exterior wall of the restaurant is all glass structure and provides an interesting view of Washington Street and adjoining buildings. Not romantic, but interesting. The service was excellent. Attentive and helpful. The menu varied with everything from light fare to a full entree. Everything was fresh, nicely presented and tasteful. Great find.Special Features:
- The size of the restaurantKarenHDined on 10/11/2013The size of the restaurant was surprisingly small, however, the food was very good. We had requested a table by the window but we were told that they were all reserved (we did have a reservation to the restuarant). At least 3 tables remained open during the entire 2+ hours that we dined there so we were not sure why we were denied a table by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in the theater districtNailman88Dined on 9/28/2013My wife and I went here to eat and we're very happy with everything. They are located on the 4th floor so you need to know where you're headed. We made a reservation online very easily. We were about 20 minutes early but the seated us right away. The staff was friendly and the service was fast. We started with a salad with Apple smoked bacon and blu cheese and a bottle of German Riesling that was very nice. My wife had scallops that were tender and tasty, I had the swordfish and it was cooked perfectly and had a great sauce. We finished with the Creme brûlée. The seating had a great view of the city and the atmosphere was cozy and quiet. We both recommend this restaurant. If you go there once you will want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The decor at Blu is sleekEatandtellDined on 9/27/2013The decor at Blu is sleek and chic, and the view is great (the theater district). It's kind of odd that it branches off the deli/gift store area of the hotel, but that makes it even more fun - it's like you stumbled into a secret bar, like on a really cool commercial for vodka or something. The food and service were also very good. My husband's pork shank came out a little cold, and they took it right back and warmed it for him. It was tasty and falling off the bone, with a nice gorgonzola mash to accompany it. My scallops with lobster risotto were also very yummy, and the risotto had giant chunks of lobster in it! This seems like a great place to come for after-work drinks, too. Not too raucous, just sleek and chic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellentCuthbert23Dined on 9/14/2013My wife and I went to Blu prior to seeing a show at the Boston Opera House primarily because of its proximity and what looked like a good menu online. We were dissappointed with the quality of the food (especially the over-cooked lamb...twice) but our server was excellent and did everything he could to make our dining experience as pleasant as possible.Special Features:
- Overly pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013The food was overly priced, didn't taste good at all, at least what my boyfriend and I ordered. The menu was very limited, needs to expand and give more options.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2013The restaurant was very nice with food good. We went because it was very convenient to the theatre. They also offered discounted parking. We had very nice time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was great......a littlePamelaDined on 9/3/2013Dinner was great......a little odd to get to, had we turned right instead of left we would have been in a gym and even then walked thru a gym cafeteria to get to Blu but once there it was lovely! Good food, service, atmosphere and view! Will definitely go again:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dining room was quiet,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2013The dining room was quiet, had an attractive asthetic and delicious drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2013We ate at Blu before going to the Boston Opera Company to see Wicked. We were there early, at 6:00pm, and the place was quiet as they were at the beginning of their service. The food was very good (rainbow trout and the Artichoke and Fontina Ravioli). So was the dessert (Belgium Chocolate Cake)! The restaurant overlooks Washington Street at just the right height, so that you feel the activity of the street and the venues below you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view / Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2013Very nice time at Blu - little tough to find in the upstairs in the health club - Lovely view and food / wines were fine. We will return. dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for businessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2013Clean professional and competent. No great wow factor. A safe bet with a good menu and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston theatre dining perfection!jbzturnDined on 8/9/2013Even after getting stuck in Boston traffic, late 45 minutes for our reservation, the staff still held our table for us, we had just enough time to enjoy a cocktail and appetizer before our evening out to see the Musical Wicked at the Boston Opera House! The polenta fries and flat bread w/caramelized onions, asparagus and cheese appetizers were amazing. The wait staff couldn't have been more accommodating, making sure we would not be late for the show. The Panoramic view over looking some of the theatre district including the Paramount sign and the Opera House entrance was beautiful. It really was a perfect beginning to an evening out on the town. We look forward to going back and having dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.