Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
1100 Burlingame Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 6503737883x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30AM-3:00PM; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00PM-10:00PM; Friday-Saturday 3:00PM-11:00PM. Bar open until 1:30AM on Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chris Yeo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call the restaurant or visit our website for catering options.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Joanna Rae Tan 4152095577x
- Entertainment: Bay Area Hottest DJs spinning Top 40s, RnB, Mash-ups, Pop and House on Fridays 9:30PM-1:30AM. DJ Nicolo spinning 80's Hits on Saturdays 9:30PM-1:30AM.
- Special Events: Straits Restaurant is available for all your special event and off-site catering needs. Whether it's a business lunch, cocktail reception or full seated dinner, Straits can help create a fantastic and memorable event. Please call for more information.
A word from Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This Asian-Zen inspired Burlingame location opened in August of 2004.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Major problem is pricing:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2013Major problem is pricing: I had filet sea bass. It was excellent. However, it came in a small box, not on a plate, with nothing else—no rice, vegetables—and it was a relatively small portion for $35.00. Way overpriced considering for 1/2 the price most restaurants could accomodate a larger portion, along with vegetables and rice. I ordered the caesar salad which came on a flat dish wish uncut lettuce, making it difficult to eat. Better to serve it in a bowl with more salad, as well. Ambience, service and food were good. If they could greatly reduce their prices, it would be a 5 star restaurant experience, and learn to accomodate customers with ample servings. Entrees should not look like a la carte samples.
- This place was awesome. ReallyScooterDined on 2/22/2013This place was awesome. Really creative, interesting dishes like banana flower salad. Really interesting hot/cool play in everything. Lemongrass/mint ade was so good. Staff was hip and fast. You could talk over the music but it had some great ecclectic tracks.Special Features:
- Great food and service. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2013Great food and service. Only negative was that the music got louder as the meal continued - hard to even hear the other person at the table and we were at the farthest table from the lounge area. Will definitely go back and try different items but probably earlier in the evening, hopefully before the loud music starts...We'll need to figure out when that is. Black pepper lobster was excellent, loved the carpaccio and butter chicken also.
- Delicious lunch!!! LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/21/2013Delicious lunch!!! Loved it! Amazing flavor in all the dishes.Special Features:
- Excellent Food but expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/17/2013Food was excellent. Server very attentive. We went very early so the restaurant was almost empty. Very expensive. Just one beer. Two people, Over $100.00Special Features:
- The waitress never broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/15/2013The waitress never brought my paper napkins. Had to get them myself.Special Features:
- Nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/12/2013I like Straits and particularly enjoy the sangria and appetizers. Always packed thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food at Straits was verySusanLVIPDined on 2/9/2013The food at Straits was very good, as expected. With two couples at the table, even at 5:30, it was impossible to hear the conversation. The noise was at the unbearable level!
- Straits is perfectly locatedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/8/2013Straits is perfectly located in the downtown area of Burlingame. This is the only restaurant with a good and vibrant bar scene. I like their happy hour however, they changed their menus to cheaper options. They used to have better happy hour options but since changed. Although this is the only place that is happening, I wouldn't necessarily choose to go here because I'd rather have better happy hour options and pay a little more than drink cheap alcohol that gives you headaches.Special Features:
- Our server was awesome! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Our server was awesome! Food is consistent. Always great! I've been to straits many times and I will keep going back!Special Features:
- I was kind of sad to see thatPatlovesEVOOVIPDined on 1/17/2013I was kind of sad to see that the food was so mediocre - I used to go to Straits in PA and it was very different (location has closed) - was so good and innovative, delicious. I ordered classic dish "butter chicken" and it was very bland and the chicken was tired. The nam tasted really greasy. I brought my relatives from Boston, and they were too impressed either.
- Wonderful brunchNapastyleVIPDined on 1/13/2013We love this restaurant as a special occasion for evenings but it was our first brunch visit. The food was innovative and fresh. Pricing was reasonable for the quality and the service always shines. The Asian fusion style applied to brunch food, eggs, French toast, etc. was delicious.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. They explainOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/12/2013Food was excellent. They explain that the plates are served family style but we have ordered individually in the past. If you do order individually, order some starters as the entrees are served as they are done which means some people will be waiting to eat while others have their dish. Also order rice (the coconut is great) to accompany your meat dishes. One of our dishes was very slow to come out (we were eating family style). Our waiter and the manager came over to apologize and let us know what happened - the dish went to a different table. I was impressed that they were aware of the issue without us having to ask. They also compensated our bill for the delay again without any request from us.
- Loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/10/2013Wow. Too noisy. We had a group dinner planned since we like the variety on the menu. But it was packed and the warehouse acoustics made it so we had to yell to be heard. We all had soar throats!
- Food is tasty, but many ofCathySaratogaDined on 1/6/2013Food is tasty, but many of them are sweet. Service was great. We stayed there for a long time to chat, and there was no problem at all.
- I'd reccommend this highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012While entertaining friends in from out-of town, we had a terrific meal at Straits. The food was excellent and plentiful. The service was excellent. The atmosphere is grand- table not too close - high ceiling. Great oval table for 7 of us- easy to visit.Special Features:
- Decent place - quite spaciousAlexInWilderlandDined on 12/17/2012We had a large group which is always challenging. 16 people at two long tables, so as usual, it is hard for folks at the ends to converse. But the restaurant was very spacious with good space between tables, and comfortable bench seating at many perimeter tables, which is nice. Food was ok, not stellar. Would like to see more vegetarian options, but that could be just me. :-) Wine list was somewhat limited. Service was good. The overall experience was not bad at all, but I expected the food to be a little more 'wow'. I had the garlic noodle bowl, and I love garlic, but it was overwhelming with large chunks of garlic throughout. Parking was a bit challenging, though we arrived at 6pm. Maybe the locals know where to park! I'll ask next ti
- Appetizers were not freshlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Appetizers were not freshly made to order. Tasted like it was under a heat lamp.
- We had a gift card to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2012We had a gift card to this restaurant and were really looking forward to trying it. We've been to Singapore and enjoyed the food there, but this place fell far short of our prior experience. Though the service was great and the appetizers good, the entrees were horrible and it was so noisy we could barely scream a conversation. Overall, a disappointing experience. We won't be going back.
- Food a bit bland for curry.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/5/2012Food a bit bland for curry. Extremely noisy. Very hard to talk. Expensive for quality.
- Good, efficient service.johnandpopDined on 12/2/2012Good, efficient service. Food in ample proportions and well seasoned. I usually want a bottle of soy sauce at an Asian-style restaurant. Here there are no bottles on the table and I had no need to ask for one. Half off wine bottles on Sunday night is a real plus. We will return.Special Features:
- The atmosphere at StraitschocloveVIPDined on 11/30/2012The atmosphere at Straits is great, but in general I find the food doesn't live up to my expectations. The roti appetizer was fantastic, and our salmon entree was great, but our three other entrees were kind of mediocre.
- Fresh but needing a kickDavidVIPDined on 11/28/2012For an Asian fusion menu there is a noticable lack of spice and seasoning. The grilled shrimp and julienned salad was fresh but bland. The tuna tartar was very fresh - just tuna and some horseradish sauce. The entre sea bass in parchment (oragami) was heavily flavored of soy and the fish a little too fishy. The cubed filet mingon was probably the best dish of the evening, well seasoned and cooked rare as requested.Special Features:
- first time to Straits forEarlysipperDined on 11/25/2012first time to Straits for lunch - we usually go for dinner. the food was delicious and nicely presented as always. wait staff very courteous and attentive. Straits Burlingame continues to be one of our favorite restaurants on the peninsula.Special Features:
- Delicious food, but smallOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/24/2012Delicious food, but small portions for what you pay.Special Features:
- I love eating at Straits (onlyFrenchIsaDined on 11/17/2012I love eating at Straits (only the one in Burlingame - the Palo Alto is not as good). The food is very tasty and original. My favorites are the chili crab, the grilled grape leaf beef, the chicken rice and the Whole Striped Bass. The later is a whole fish fried, very moist inside and very fresh. The problem is the noise level. It feels like you are in a club and can barely hear the discussions at your table...Special Features:
- I've enjoyed visiting Straits,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2012I've enjoyed visiting Straits, and will be back, though service was painfully slow and inattentive during this particular Sunday evening visit (result being dinner that took nearly 2hrs instead of 1hr).
- Meh. Won't be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2012Nothing like food in Singapore. Great for posers but not for real foodies. Taste and favors are really muted and the kitchen is churning out fast food dressed up as gourmet. Waste of time and money with so many other great options close by. Service is ok but is flaky and disorganized.
- Overall okay...but lots of misses.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/3/2012Food was okay overall..but Straits Burlingame had a lot of misses. We had a group of 6 that came at 5pm on a Saturday night ...to beat the crowd. Service: It was little embarrassing in the beginning as 3 of the menus our table had partial missing pages, completely missing pages of the menu, or discrepant menu from another. Later on around peak hours, we couldn't find our waiter and our bill was incorrect 2x. Food: Overall, the food was good. We had the Roti Prata, ph pia, wok fried mussels for appetizers. We had the coconut rice, the garlic noodles, the thai basil chicken, the shaking beef, the eggplant, and Singapore Chili Lobster. We were a little disappointed as the crab was unavailableSpecial Features:
- Quite noisy. Better for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2012Quite noisy. Better for groups for fun rather than a couple or group that want to talk to each other. I was at a table for two and we had to shout to have a conversation. That said, the food is wonderful and the staff is very attentive.Special Features:
- The presentation is attractiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012The presentation is attractive but the taste has tendency to be too salty! Perhaps it is the native culture that the food should be eaten with rice to dilute the taste of saltiness. Now that Americans are eating low carbs,so the taste becomes too intense. The Tuna tower looks good but it is bad because of the sweetness of Tuna!!! From using of Thai chili sauce? It should be just slightly salty and perhaps some sourness or tanginess like Yuzu sauce. That is my opinion,I left it after 2 bites! The black peppered crab is good but the tase is also too intense. We enjoy the Singapore sling that is similar to the one in Long Bar at the Raffles hotel in Singapore but there is no roasted peanut to peel and then toss the shell on the floor!Special Features:
- Food and service was goodDinersaurusDined on 10/13/2012Food and service was good except for the 1 hour wait for the Lemongrass Beef. Didnt receive updates on the delay until the last 15 minutes. Wouldve been nice to give us the option to change order after 30 minutes. To their credit they did deduct the cost of one appetizer.Special Features:
- Straits Restaurant is a fun,LaineyVIPDined on 10/5/2012Straits Restaurant is a fun, high-energy spot in the long stretch of suburbia south of San Francisco. The wide of variety of food satisfies groups with many different food particularities, and their family-style way let's you try all their scrumptious dishes. I can't help but order my long-time favorites, such as the origami seabass. I brought a friend visiting from the midwest, and we were not disappointed. Our waiter was especially great, giving us many helpful suggestions at each stage and accommodating us in the friendliest of ways. We'll be back.Special Features:
- very good food, drinks andluvsgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2012very good food, drinks and friendly service. A bit noisy for my taste but worth the experience. One of our favorites
- Bold, delicious, flavors.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012Bold, delicious, flavors. Get the Indian street noodles; they're amazing.
- Great food, very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Great food, very good service and ambiance. Not sure how authentic the food is to Singapore. I lived there and although Singapore's food is culturally diverse I don't remember seeing a number of the items from the menu. However, the food was wonderful so who cares.Special Features:
- Overall food was good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2012Overall food was good, service was good. I didn't particularly like the loud noise.
- Great place, yummy food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Great place, yummy food and good attentive servers.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the meal but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012I enjoyed the meal but the music playing was too loud...you could not enjoy a conversation at the table as you had to speak above the music.Special Features:
- great if you love sweet foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/25/20123rd time to Straits. I love the ambiance but we were seated in the bar adjacent to the hall and cash register so saw little of it. Asked to move away from a very "energetic" large (loud) group of people and got this spot near hall/cash register in the bar area, despite openings in dinning room. After flagging down the very nice bartender to get order taken we started with the special salad (horrible, cold potatoes and green beans.) Enjoyed a great garlic noodles with crab though (had to order twice as it was forgotten.) Also liked the crab stuffed mini buns. Unfortunately sugar is the predominate seasoning at Straits. Everything is very sweet and cloying. Ambiance A or F. Food C. Hostess D. Bartender A. Overall D.