Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
1100 Burlingame Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 6503737883x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30AM-3:00PM; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00PM-10:00PM; Friday-Saturday 3:00PM-11:00PM. Bar open until 1:30AM on Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chris Yeo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call the restaurant or visit our website for catering options.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Joanna Rae Tan 4152095577x
- Entertainment: Bay Area Hottest DJs spinning Top 40s, RnB, Mash-ups, Pop and House on Fridays 9:30PM-1:30AM. DJ Nicolo spinning 80's Hits on Saturdays 9:30PM-1:30AM.
- Special Events: Straits Restaurant is available for all your special event and off-site catering needs. Whether it's a business lunch, cocktail reception or full seated dinner, Straits can help create a fantastic and memorable event. Please call for more information.
A word from Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This Asian-Zen inspired Burlingame location opened in August of 2004.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Straits was a fun place butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2008Straits was a fun place but we had a small group and the noise level from the bar became too loud for us to carry on a conversation. We didn't know it was kareoke night. It somehow didn't mix well - it's such a nice place and they didn't need to mix it up with loud DJ and kareoke music. Instead, they should try some nicer music, like jazz, for ambiance. The service was way too slow, but the food was excellent. I think I'd try it again but maybe for lunch instead.Special Features:
- Service was a little too slowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008Service was a little too slow considering it wasn't crowded at all. Music a little too loud for my taste.
- The food was very well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/6/2008The food was very well prepared and interesting combinations of flavors. Wines by the glass were very over priced, although a good pour saved it.Special Features:
- please educate your host staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2008please educate your host staff on opentable and how it works. Especially since you pay opentable per reservation that is made through them. Your staff should also be more aware of opentalbe VIP's and pick better table than the only one next to the kitchen for them. I doubt I'll be back to Straights anytime soon. Oh and also tell your hostess that was working on Saturday Night, April 5th, 2008 that wearing a dress that short is gross and with as many family type parties I saw seated in the restaurant; she should have been fired for even thinking she could wear that! I mean a mini dress is one thing, but she had her hands at the bottom of the dress all night, pulling it down-- just wrong.Special Features:
- The hostess was dressed veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2008The hostess was dressed very inappropriately. Her 'dress' barely covered her ass and she had to walk while holding it to avoid exposing herself. For a moment we thought we had entered a strip club by mistake. Although we had made reservations well in advance, we were seated right by the kitchen. The bathroom's need more attention, they were dirty and the only toilet paper was a role on the floor - gross. We had been to Straits in the past and this experience was completely different, unfortunately not for the better.
- Food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/30/2008Food was excellent. Service was slow and staff a bit forgetful, but they were friendly.Special Features:
- Our waitress was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2008Our waitress was extremely slow plus she was hard to understand. Again, the music was way too loud (it gave me a headache), I could barely hear my dinner companion. I only went back because he wanted to try it. I won't be going back unless someone else really wants to go.Special Features:
- The service was horrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/27/2008The service was horrible. Every time we wanted something we had to call our waiter. We sat for 15 minutes before someone came over, and then 30 minutes before getting the check. Our entres were served 7 minutes appart. The restaurant was also very cold. Finally, while I normally have very good food at Straits the food was only passable. The green been especially tasted odd.
- We had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2008We had a great experience for dinner at Straits. The food was delicious. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- The music was on WAY TOO LOUD.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/25/2008The music was on WAY TOO LOUD. It was hard to have a conversation and I would probably not come back if I was trying to have any interaction with the people I was dining with. The food was great, the service was great - the bar music bouncing off the walls was definitely not a draw to come back.
- Things have gone down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/21/2008Things have gone down hill considerably here. Why are the hostesses walking around with almost no clothes on? The food was brought out so rushed. We didn't get to finish our appetizers before the main courses were finished. At the end of the meal, we asked for a dessert menu, but were told that they "couldn't find one"! So, we did not order dessert.
- Some excellent dishes on theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/21/2008Some excellent dishes on the menu and a great cocktail list. Happening bar scene. Waiters provide good service but the hostesses are neither gracious nor efficient. Extremely loud music with a driving dance beat feels like nightclub and is both detracting to the dining experience and distracting from conversation.Special Features:
- Good food and service. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2008Good food and service. Not outstanding, but nice. Cocktails are blah, but made up for by the food. Worth a repeat visit. A little on the spendy side.Special Features:
- We were about 15 minutes lateOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/14/2008We were about 15 minutes late for our reservation time. It wasn't a problem at all and they seated us at a great table in about 10 minutes. The music was REALLY loud and bass-y in the bar though. I wouldn't recommend eating there - reserve a table in the main dining room. Luckily you can hear music, but it isn't overwhelming, in the dining room but you can talk easily across the table. Our waiter James (with a mohawk) was AWESOME, really nice and attended to every need. We ordered way too much food (we couldn't help it - everything looked so good) and he was really concerned that we didn't like some of the dishes we didn't finish. We assured him that we were only stuffed :) We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- We go to Straits at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/13/2008We go to Straits at least once a month - usually on date night - because we just LOVE their food & the staff! We've had a few instances where our plates have come out a bit cold or the mixed drink doesn't taste quite right - but they have ALWAYS "fixed" things immediately to make sure we are happy! I definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- I found the food good. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/13/2008I found the food good. Not great but good. However, the noise level was extremely loud and the restaurant was not even that crowded. I don't think I would go back unless someone else really wanted to try it. I had to keep asking my dinner companion to repeat what she was saying. I attribute the loudness to the decor which was all brick walls and hard floors.Special Features:
- I always enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/12/2008I always enjoyed the food but the service has always been slow (1 1/2 hours for lunch), if it wasn't for the Murtabak i wouldn't go back:)Special Features:
- The food is uniquely yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/8/2008The food is uniquely yummy and we love the specialized martinis. The only thing is, this place is really loud on Friday and Sat. nights, so if you're looking for a mellow environment, this isn't for you.Special Features:
- There is to much noise. ConcreteOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/8/2008There is to much noise. Concrete floors with no carpets. The music was to loud. Everything else is find.Special Features:
- Unlike the Straits in theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2008Unlike the Straits in the city, this place turned into a wanna-be club for folks who clearly do not live in Burlingame. What a shame that it got so loud and tacky. In addition, when I first booked the reservation I asked that my credit card be held for the special occasion. Upon arrival, I gave them my credit card. However, when we were done with our meal, they allowed another guest in our dining party to pay for the bill. I was very disappointed at how the staff performed.
- Very nice menu of excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/21/2005Very nice menu of excellent flavors, and reasonably priced for the tastes and decadent presentations you get.Special Features: