Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: 4156730557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)romantic (43)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Except for a tough steak (weTigerVirgoDined on 5/4/2008Except for a tough steak (we did not bring it to our waiter's attention), our meal was superb (especially my filet). Celebrating an anniversary and birthday, we BARTed over from the East Bay, strolled up from a show at the Orpheum Theater and rode the cable car back down to Market Street after dinner. A very romantic day. Not sure we would attempt driving over just for dinner, though. Traffic and parking are a hindrance.Special Features:
- It is an expensive restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/2/2008It is an expensive restaurant. Really for a special occasion.
- The worst dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/1/2008The worst dining experience. The food is extremly overpriced and the service is horrible. I will never never go back the place. The watress named Michell adds unpleasant experience.
- absolutely loved the creamedLyles711Dined on 5/1/2008absolutely loved the creamed spinach. the beef was spectacular... petite filet and shrimp exceptional. great experience!!!Special Features:
- parking sucks, but then again,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008parking sucks, but then again, everywhere in san francisco as far as parking goes sucks. the food was outstanding, probably the best steak ive ever had. i definitely will come back.Special Features:
- someone gave my husband aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008someone gave my husband a gift certificate which is the only reason we went here. it's a chain...there are plenty of superior steak houses in San Francisco that are far better. Harris's, or Izzy's rock!
- We had outstanding serviceKubbydooDined on 4/26/2008We had outstanding service by our attendant. She was very attentive without being oppressive.Special Features:
- Our Server Christy was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/26/2008Our Server Christy was great, everything was perfect.Special Features:
- This place is really slipping...theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/24/2008This place is really slipping...the waitress, while pleasant, was robotic and every time REACHED across us ALL THE TIME until I had to tell her I would hand something to her if she needed it. The third time I had to be stern with her. The $42 T Bone, was a substandard piece of meet. The usual black crust was missing, this had been slow baked. I mean there was NO char compared to my guests filet mignon. Having been to this Ruth Chris over the years, and a steak eater around the world - this Ruth Chris is off my list. Bob's steak house in the Omni is a surer bet. Too bad, but not with my money again.
- The servers were nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2008The servers were nice, but incredibly unorganized, starting with seating us at a table set for 4 (despite our rezzies for 2 & waiting for 10 minutes to be seated in a nearly empty restaurant) then reaching across us to clear the other 2 spots while we sat there. Then it took our server another 20 minutes to take our order. Then they didn't have the ingredients for the drink (from the menu) that my husband ordered. Then the server delivered the wrong food to our table. They ended up taking it away just as we were about to eat...I'd expect this from a lesser restaurant, but when I'm paying $70 for a steak, I'd like the service to stand up to the prices.Special Features:
- This restuarant has a greatRX300Dined on 4/20/2008This restuarant has a great reputation, it is consistently very good, and the same no matter where you dine at Ruth's Chris. Can't go wrong by selecting this steak house and the steaks are succulent. I enjoy the steaks each time I go and have not been disappointed.
- Overall the experience wasRaidersDined on 4/19/2008Overall the experience was very good. I was disappointed that the server did not sing happy birthday to my guest. I had indicated that request on my reservation.Special Features:
- We were there long beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2008We were there long before the rush (it was packed when we left) and were seated at the most awful table right next to the kitchen--and a 4-top although there was two of us. That was really disappointing.
- This was a little pricey forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2008This was a little pricey for steak & french fries! - my husband got french fries and those were fair. Overall the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Gets all the basics down justOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2008Gets all the basics down just fine. Obviously, the focus is on the beef, which is delicious, and the rest is competent to good but limited and pretty much standard fare.Special Features:
- Very good quality meat, dependableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2008Very good quality meat, dependable and consistent dining experience - and much better than for instance Harris'. Ambiance a little too dark and stuffy for our liking (a little more light wouldn't hurt), service overly formal but ok. Although the restaurant was literally empty at 5 PM we were given a table right in the middle of the restaurant, with waiters and guests heading for the restroom constantly rushing by - which wasn't quite cozy. Other than that, we keep coming back for the best steak in San Francisco.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2008The service and food were superb. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best steak in town! OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2008Best steak in town! Outstanding wine list. Superior service.Special Features:
- Jose is really nice and friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2008Jose is really nice and friendly. As always, the steak was amazing. Thanks.Special Features:
- The service was amazing, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/25/2008The service was amazing, really top notch. Our waitress was informed and very attentive to the needs of the table. The food was delicious and I especially enjoyed the buttery smell throughout the whole restaurant. I am a lover of butter. I would recommend this spot to anyone who enjoys steak. Next time I'd like to try a special.Special Features:
- delicious for red meat eaters.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2008delicious for red meat eaters. Much better than I expected.Special Features:
- Why is it that every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2008Why is it that every time I go here, the waiter NEVER repours or "touch up" the wine glass after the first pour? I find this at Ruth Chris's on a cosistent basis.Special Features:
- We were going to a performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/9/2008We were going to a performance in SF and wanted to take my significant other's father to a special restaurant for his 91st birthday. This was an excellent choice. Our only concern with it was that they cook a lot with butter, which was too heavy for his tastes (we had asked for our food to not be cooked in butter, but we forgot to ask the same with Andy's father...his food was very high in the butter count). It was a wonderful restaurant with very good service...the food was extraordinary...we had steaks and they were some of the best steaks that we have had in year.Special Features:
- They kept us waiting 20 minutesGourmetVIPDined on 3/8/2008They kept us waiting 20 minutes despite the fact that we showed up on time per our reservation. Don't order the veal chop but the other food was all excellent. The wait staff was courteous and competent.
- Food and service are fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2008Food and service are fantastic. The only slight bummer is that the other patrons can be loud, obnoxious, and seemingly not aware of the general sharing of common space that happens when dinning out (this comes from many repeat visit experience).Special Features:
- We ordered 4 appetizers andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/2/2008We ordered 4 appetizers and they were all drenched in butter. It smelled great but, I got sick to my stomach after the first few bits. The steak was a bit bland but not bad. The service was excellent though. The appetizers took the place of one entree, so we ordered a large steak and had them split it for us at the table.Special Features:
- Great Service and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2008Great Service and the food was superb! The steaks are pretty good and their side dishes come in big proportions. When making a dinner reservation for two and your celebrating a special occasion request for their booth table.Special Features:
- Excellent meal, and a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/31/2008Excellent meal, and a great time for all. My wife and I were thinking of coming back again during restaurant week to try the different options on the Restaurant Week menu.
- Loved it every time! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/24/2008Loved it every time! Food is always excellent. Though I did notice that one time service was not great because we ordered from the dine-about-town menu. But that was only one time and maybe that server was just having a tough day.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/22/2008The food was delicious, the service was impeccable. I mentioned it was for an anniversary when I made the reservation, and they gave us a complimentary dessert after dinner! This restaurant has fast become one of my all time favorites.Special Features:
- Food was very good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/20/2008Food was very good and service was excellent. One of the best steaks I had in a long time. It was fairly busy though and tables are close together but in the end, it's all about the food....Special Features:
- Harris Steak House is a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/2/2007Harris Steak House is a lot better and cheaper....but the best one in town is Joe DiMaggio...
- when i were there the 1 stOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/23/2007when i were there the 1 st time, i love this place....so i went back on my wife's birthday....end up my wife had the worst birthday dinner ever...: ( never go back again
- ...foor good, serivce, not so much.DaveVIPDined on 11/2/2006...service was too rushed, they were putting entree's in front of us before we were done with appetizers and drinks. Sorry but when your spend several hundred dollars for four people the service needs to be better.