Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: 4156730557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)romantic (42)notable wine list (33)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Ruth Chris is...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014Ruth Chris is a great place for high quality food and a fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love ruth chris!ahlexzisDined on 4/12/2014Our server steve was amazing. He was right on time w everything from water to the food. We ended up taking out dessert to go because the food was so good we were full. All in all had another great experience here. The cauliflower is my ffavorite side dish there. And the sides are big enough to share w one person. Its a must try if you havnt been yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second place steak in S FkenBVIPDined on 4/11/2014Nice bar and restaurant atmosphere area, service was very pleasant and fast. But the treu heart of it is that the steaks are not as good as Morton's. Prices seen equal, but if you are going to charge what they do for a steak it should be assume, and it just isn't.Special Features:
- DeliciousjcalDined on 4/7/2014My husband and I went here for a birthday dinner, just us. Unbelievably good food. The ribeye was tastier than the filet. We split the chocolate molten explosion cake for desert. So good. ... yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightkbarzegarVIPDined on 4/5/2014I took my wife here for our date night, and we really enjoyed it. The food was great, the service was wonderful, and the time was enjoyed. I recommend this to any steak lover. The steaks were great and when I said medium rare, boy was it medium rare! Great spot, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!SashaDined on 4/5/2014We always go to Ruth ' s Chris when we want a great steak. So far I haven't had a better steak anywhere else. The side dishes are great as well.Special Features:
- Overall, this is a fantasticMog123Dined on 4/5/2014Overall, this is a fantastic place for steak. We especially love their side dishes, too. The Blue Cheese dressing and Creamed Spinach are fantastic. The whiskey drenched bread pudding-delicious!Special Features:
- Good but not perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Had slightly higher expectations. Service was a bit less than expected, beef a bit burnt and not perfectly tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014The waitress was wonderful. The guy at the front door who greets you was rude and very unpleasant.
- Best Filet in the city!!!AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 3/28/2014Bar none-the best filet in the city. Sizzling in butter, no one beats!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm...steak!luvs2eatDined on 3/27/2014I ordered the Filet and my boyfriend ordered the 16 ounce Rib-eye. My steak just melted in my mouth. I love that they drench the steaks in butter. My boyfriend liked that his steak remained hot with every bite. If you love steaks, I highly recommend this place as you definitely get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2014This is a great place if your craving some good ol fashion steak. Main menu is ordered la carte but you can also get a pre-fixed menu. Love this restaurant for those special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great, but Check Your SteakQuikgrass7Dined on 3/21/2014Ruth's Chris is always a great place to dine, but on this occasion my steak was a little undercooked. I ordered medium, but got medium rare. I probably should have sent it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic!egalvanVIPDined on 3/21/2014Ruth & Chris is a classic on my list. Always great service but best of all great streak! !Special Features:
- Everything excellent!NetcatAsycDined on 3/19/2014Really enjoyed the food and service. The steaks were awesome. My friends (2 guys) had a Porterhouse to share and I had the Fillet. It was sooooo delicious. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their cocktail! BestFat2naDined on 3/17/2014Love their cocktail! Best side car I ever drink at any restaurant in the bay area. The 16oz prime rib was juicy and flavorful, so were all the side such as lobster mac & cheese, cream spanish, and the bake potato. It was a very satisfying steak dinner. Food has always been consistent at Ruth Chris, and the service was great as usual. We sure will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Consistent Special OccasionBacktosf4meDined on 3/16/2014Another home run! Molly was the perfect server. Timing was impeccable and courteous! The filets were done perfectly (even allowed us to order individual scallops as an accompaniment. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome beef!MoMoDined on 3/15/2014Me & my husband enjoyed this place! We went for our anniversary and must I say, EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING was awesome! The steaks was out of this world, every bite was seasoned well, very juicy. It's not like other steaks where it's only the top or bottom is seasoned, it was thru out every chew/bite. Becareful when you order your sides, me and my husband chosed one side each because the portions was good for 2-3 ppl. The only thing it would complain about is the steak knife. But other then that it was good! They also gave us a complimentary dessert for our anniversary and it was yummy! Very romantic or good for adults parties. We would defineltly do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedMarieDined on 3/15/2014Our waiter Robin was fantastic. He was on top of everything, very professional. The filet was very good, the New York was tough. For $47, you should expect a quality piece of meat. It's not the first time I was disappointed with my meal there. It was probably my 10th time dining there; the first 5 were perfect, the last 5 forgettable. If not for Robin our waiter, the meal would have been totally disappointing for the price you pay for your meal.
- Carol's birthday celebrationck94112VIPDined on 3/12/2014I enjoy this restaurant before with friends, and will continue. Many thanks for making my birthday a nice dinner event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Not GreatronmartiDined on 3/11/2014I've eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak Houses all over the United States, including two Hawaii locations. I continue to go there when I am looking for a great steak, great service and great ambience, because I feel I can always count on them for consistently high quality food and service. This was my first visit to the San Francisco location and given my past experiences, this one did not live up. The food was good but not great. I had the filet and it was a little spongy and not as firm as I would normally expect. The service, was good but not great. I was seated in the bar area and it was expectedly noisy. The person seated next to me had to ask the waiter to check on his meal as he had waited longer than normal to receive his food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealSMEChristyDined on 3/10/2014Solid service, great steaks. Super bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014We came here for our wedding anniversary dinner. This is the first time we had dined here while we are naive San Franciscans. It was a great experience ! My hisband's steak was flavorful, tender, and stayed hot on the plate. Love the cream of spinach and show string fries . I had the crab cakes which were good but Alittle oily but it was flavorful. I also ordered the blueberry mojito and first time trying this drink. Our server, Jordan, was terrific! Our food was ordered and served fast with hardly any waiting, and she was very friendly providing above and beyond customer service! She was very attentive and checked on her customers regularly!Special Features:
- Management been changed?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014it was the second time there in SF. We really enjoyed their foods and services last year so we always wanted go back there and we finally made it but we were very disappointed . We ordered filet and bone ribeye both were very bad. I mean very dry. Last time it was very tender and moistures but not this time. It was loud because of our next table. I wanted to have some romantic dinner for celebrating my hubby's birthday. We ordered a wine but they didn't have it and food wasn't good at all. We didn't see what was difference than Outback's steaks... We will not go back. we didn't like the area neither but we liked the food so we went there again but not anymore. Hopefully they found out what it was and keep in business. Thanks.
- Yum..!DollDined on 3/5/2014Went here with a small group for my birthday. The table had Happy Birthday confetti on each, which I appreciated. They do have a kids menu, but this place is too pricey to bring kids. Much better for a romantic date, group setting for special occasions, and even happy hour would be nice. I will definitely return. I enjoyed the dessert that had a candle in the ice cream and Happy Birthday written in edible chocolate on the place. I watch a lot of food network stuff, so I loved seeing the way my food was plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nephew's Birthdaymy2cents4diningDined on 3/2/2014We brought our hungry nephew & his partner to this steak house & watched the two of them devour a huge T-bone steak cooked to perfection. The salads were delicious & the sides we ordered with our dinner (creamed spinach, mashed potatoes & sauteed mushrooms) were full of flavor, brought to us nice and hot, and plentiful. Two of us had the house red wine; it was very reasonably priced & went well with our steaks. We returned to the restaurant hoping they would have lamb chops on the menu as they were out of them the last time, and they still did not have them. Apparently, they are trying to source high quality lamb for all of their restaurants. You'd think they'd just go up north to Petaluma,CA and find a new source of great lamb up there.Special Features:
- Special Date NightarbitroazDined on 3/1/2014It was a special date night for my girlfriend and I, we were celebrating her birthday. Every staff member was polite and friendly. The food was delicious. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth's Chris SteaksGFOODVIPDined on 3/1/2014Ruth's Chris is a national chain for steaks. It is fine dining. And overall it's very good. The crab cakes were super good. The chopped salad is always one of my favorites. And their seared ahi is always a wonderful dish with the Japanese influenced sauce with the wasabi spices. The creamed spinach is probably the best I've had along with the mushrooms. And those sliced potatoes were tremendous. But I felt the ribeye was different this time. The cut was thinner than I remember, not the thick meaty steak that I'm used to seeing. Sure, it was very tasty. But not so meaty. I wonder what has changed? They still say that their steaks are the top 2%. And that must be true. But the steak ribeye cut looked rather thin on the plate.Special Features:
- Loved it!AngieDined on 2/28/2014This was our first time at Ruth Chris' Steakhouse in San Francisco and we absolutely loved it! The porterhouse steak for two was so tender that it melted in your mouth. The service was great, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceEvelynDined on 2/28/2014First I had mentioned in the reservations that this was to celebrate my daughters Birthday, when they showed us to the table there were Happy Birthday cuttings all over the table, she really lived that, everyone that passed by wished her Happy Birthday, and then the desert was delicious! This is a very pricy restaurant, but its worth it for the food, it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they are usually pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/27/2014they are usually pretty good, but this time i got medium instead of meduim rare and my husband was vice versa. they gave us one desert upgrade to compensate.Special Features:
- Reservation? Waste of TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014Nothing like making a reservation for a nice steak house on a Saturday night, right? Beat the crowds, good for me! Until you show up for your 7:30 reservation and be told that its a 45 minute wait for a table. Great service guys, great service.
- always greatBigmoDined on 2/22/2014Ruth Chris never fails and always delivers a great dining experience. The steak were cooked to perfection and the sides were very tasty as usaul. I have eaten at many Ruth Chris around the country and the service has always been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night4foodVIPDined on 2/22/2014Another wonderful meal at Ruth's Chris. It's a favorite place for a small group or to go on a date. Food was perfectly prepared. It was a busy night and I saw the hostess stroll by our table at least 6 times to figure out when our table might be available.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ruth'sdavyDined on 2/20/2014always excellent but to pricey for everyday dining. wines are almost tripled to muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddbenjaminDined on 2/16/2014GrEAT for a date. Plan on spending $100 each for food and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines dinnerSuzieDined on 2/14/2014We came here for Valentines and really loved it. We arrived and were seated early which was nice. The waiter was super friendly made us feel like we were his friends! And the food was amazing of course ! We decided on the porterhouse for two, crab cakes, lobster Mac and cheese and broccoli. I received a rose as well which was a cute detail! Thank you Ruth's Chris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V-DayAnzuDined on 2/14/2014The place was packed for Valentine's Day and the room in the back was crammed with table to seat 2. We still had a fun timeSpecial Features:
- Love For Good SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014As always, Ruth's Chris never disappoints. On this excursion to out favorite steak house, we celebrated Valentine's Day doing what we love the most, eating and drinking! I ordered from the Classic menu this time, having the 16 oz. Ribeye, with a ceasar salad, creamed spinach and a baked potato. My steak was a tad undercooked (I order it medium), but I usually can't eat the whole thing, so it's perfect the next day. Overall the meal was great, along with the wine and cocktails we had as well. Ryan, our server was adorable and took good care of us. He was very personable and patient with us. We can be a little rowdy sometimes :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy stuck in casualWineNdineDined on 2/14/2014I really enjoyed our dining experience at Ruth Chris on valentines day, however I did not enjoy seeing individuals wearing sweatpants, and sweatshirts while dining. I was under the impression that it was a fine dining establishment but was disappointed to have to view individuals whom looked as if they just rolled out of bed while I dined. If I am going to pay the price I payed for food I expect not to have to see that,at all. Our server Jesse was great though ! Major kuddos for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.