Café on the Green
100 Aunt Hack Road
Danbury, CT 06811Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Café on the Green
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeonthegreenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2037910369
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tracey Kydes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Tracey Kydes for details from a private dinner for two to a grand reception of 200 all privately catered to your specific tailored menu. http://www.cafeonthegreenrestaurant.com/private-parties/
- Private Party Facilities: Accommodates 12 to 200 guests, we create custom designed menus for all events of all budgets, making each event very special and unique. Our delicious, quality food and professional, experienced service ensures that every guest has an amazing time.
- Private Party Contact: Luis Lopez 2037910369
- Entertainment: Every Friday and Saturday night we have live guitar, or piano playing for the restaurant.
- Special Events: Please go to our website to find out the latest holiday, and special event menus.
A word from Café on the Green
An easy to reach hidden treasure. The upscale decor and table settings along with attentive and gracious service are enhanced by the sweeping views provided by huge active windows that encompass three sides of the restaurant. All of this is surpassed by Authentic Italian Cuisine delicately prepared with the freshest local ingredients. Zagat Rated Excellent 2013, Zagat's top 1000 Italian restaurants in US. Wine Spectators Award of Excellence 2013. We promise dining out will be unforgettable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Café on the Green - Best Restaurants in Danbury ›
Café on the Green reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (32)special occasion (27)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (13)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Restaurant is outstandingRickDined on 12/31/2013Restaurant is outstanding in every way. Wine list is best in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Previous visits were betterWoodyDined on 12/31/2013This has always been a very good restaurant, with top notch entrees . This time the New Years Eve fixed price venue was not worth the money with a couple of drinks and tip, My rack of lamb was undercooked, though medium was requested.Special Features:
- Great for Holiday/Special OccasionJanWVIPDined on 12/29/2013Once again, Cafe on the Green afforded a terrific dining experience. The holiday decorations provided an extra touch of warmth and elegance to the dining room. The entrees were delicious as usual and the wait staff are excellent. We always order the Bananas Foster for dessert and they don't disappoint! This is one of our favorite restaurants in the Danbury area and as Manhattan residents, we am comparing to some of NYC's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunch!danburydivaDined on 12/28/2013Enjoyed a lovely lunch with a good friend. We relaxed for a good long time and enjoyed a delicious meal along with attentive, yet unintrusive service. Great place for meaningful conversation and inspiring view. Owner exemplifies hospitality. Decor is elegant, comforting, and especially opulent during the holiday season. Can't wait to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FavoritesTwoGolfersDined on 12/24/2013We love to come to Café on the Green. The menu and preparation are outstanding. The wines are always novel and of fine quality. This is our choice for a romantic evening dining by the window overlooking the golf course. It is also our choice for a sandwich and beer on the outdoor patio after playing eighteen holes. Family celebrations and lunch with friends finds us here as well. It is truly a restaurant for all seasons and reasons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent gemTonyMDined on 12/24/2013Always a favorite. Never disappoints, we tend to head there with visitors and for special occasions. Good value, tasty food.Special Features:
- A small disappointmentJanaDined on 12/23/2013App previously requested was unavailable. Head chef never mentioned it to the chef apparently. I was disappointed. Got over it after a while.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Holiday VenueMAMNYDined on 11/28/2013On the holidays which our sons and their families spend with their in-laws, my husband and I look forward to dining out together at Cafe on the Green. The food and service has been consistently excellent since we first discovered the restaurant in 2007. Whether for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it is always festively decorated. We credit their success to the top notch management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving dinner / 30th Birthdaychocolate30bdayDined on 11/28/2013It was a pleasant experience with wonderful choices for entrée's and desserts. The quiet atmosphere was great for us to catch up on events and happening in our lives. We wished the there was a lounge to spend more time with each other and wished that the fall leaves were still on the trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I had our ThanksgiviDorothyDined on 11/28/2013My husband and I had our Thanksgiving dinner at Cafe on the Green and it was excellent. The food was cooked to perfection, flavorfull, and served hot. We couldn't stop sharining with others how excellent the service was as well. We did not have to wait for anything and they noticed quickly when we were done with that serving, they quickly came and removed the empty dish. It was the best service we have ever had at a restaurant - great staff!Special Features:
- Lovely Luncheon in a Remarkable SetBreezerDined on 11/23/2013As a last-minute decision to have lunch I chose Cafe on the Green as I recalled a wonderful meal there a few years back. I am kicking myself it has been so long since I made my next appearance. This is true 'gem'. It was a cold day, but overlooking the golf course which was so green was beautiful and the restaurant itself is lovely. We both ordered pasta dishes - one with duck and Crimimi mushrooms and the other with Italian sausage and onions and they were divine! We shared a Chocolate Lava Cake and with us both having been in the food industry we decided it was one of the best we have ever had. I must take my husband here this winter! Truly four seasons dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were 6 of us and allwinemanDined on 11/9/2013There were 6 of us and all thought that the entrees were perfectly cooked. Service was exceptional and management was very accommodating. Wine list was varied and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013We love this place--staff is attentive, food is always excellent and prices are fair--it has become our "go-to" place for special occasions as well as a destination for a nice evening out--highly recommend it!Special Features:
- unimpressivesosoDined on 10/11/2013The view overlooking the golf course is great, the wine list is extensive but expensive (3 times retail is gouging). The veal and lobster dish was OK, veal was not tender with very little taste. The garlic mashed potatoes were good but the portion was a dollop. The chicken cacciatore was overcooked (dry and tough), the sauce was good, but the garlic mashed potatoes were almost nonexistent. The salad which everyone received was extremely small. Overall, an expensive meal of very small portions poorly prepared.Special Features:
- ExcellentTXGORADined on 10/11/2013There is nothing not to like about this restaurant. Carlos and Luis are very personable and attentive as is the rest of the staff and the filet mignon is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad meal!!Mom2MMMDined on 10/7/2013Going out to dinner is a special occasion for my husband and I but our pick is always Café on the Green for our special occasions. The food is outstanding, the ambiance is romantic but also perfect for couples in a group or girls-night-out. My friends and I have celebrated many birthdays outside on the patio and we all love it when the suggestion for lunch is at the Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were celebrating Sally'sBobandSallyDined on 9/30/2013We were celebrating Sally's birthday. We enjoy celebrating special occasions at Cafe on the Green. Always an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This lovely spot enhancedKateDined on 9/20/2013This lovely spot enhanced our special event!! Beautiful outlook over the golf course, friendly, experienced waiters and beautifully groomed interior. Never felt rushed, a truly great night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2013We don't have many special occasion restaurants in our area and this one really fits for one of those nights! Great ambience, great food, and very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013Without a doubt the finest fine dining experience in the entire area. Ambiance, service, and food are superb topped off with a thoughtful and versatile wine list. Nothing pretentious or overbearing. Just excellent food graciously served in a pleasing and comfortable setting. It just doesn't get any better than this in western CT. Well worth a drive - you won't regret it.Special Features:
- good wine listlive4wineDined on 9/1/2013I made a reservation based upon a favorable review of the wine list by Wine Spectator. I was not disappointed. The food was delicious too. The staff was polite and professional. No complaints on service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another very bad experience!VinoDined on 9/1/2013I ordered the filet hignon medium rare and requested it be very tender. It was served medium, dry, cold and far from tender. The mashed potatos were also cold. The filett had the appearance of being re-heated. The waiter offered to replace it but I do not like to watch my dinner guests eat and in turn have them watch me. I will not eat in tandum. The sad part about it is that this has happenened in the past on more than one occassion. I told the maitre de of my poor food experience.
- Wait ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013The only thing I would say is that the service staff is too attentive. It almost seems that they have a time limit to get you in and out of the restaurant. It would be more pleasant to me if I didn't feel rushed through my dinner.Special Features:
- Another Great Dining ExperienceJanWVIPDined on 8/24/2013We returned once again to Café on the Green and as usual had a delicious relaxed luncheon with a nicely chilled Pino Grigio. The service is very attentive and accommodating yet not bothersome. The rack of lamb is terrific along with the fish entrée, and pasta is always a good option – all are nicely presented. For dessert, we typically opt for the Bananas Foster prepared tableside – the aroma alone is delectable. The drive up the hill is lovely and the golf course view from the dining area affords a beautiful vista – a great venue for a special event. Of course we look forward to returning to Café on the Green.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a wonderful dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2013My wife and I fdound this little treasure on "Open Table" as we searched for a place for dinner when attending a wedding in Danbury, CT. The four stars hooked us but the experience was exceptional. Great food, simply fantastic service from people who care about their patrons. BRAVO. Dom C. Cincinnati, OhioSpecial Features:
- Return VisitJanWVIPDined on 8/8/2013Our return trip to Café on the Green proved to be as enjoyable as the first. The service was excellent and the staff again were particularly attentive to my 93-year-old mother who is partial to the delicious rack of lamb and bananas Foster prepared tableside. My daughter and I ordered other dishes (fish and pasta entrees) which were equally as good, and being foodies who live in Manhattan, we are comparing to a host of fine restaurants we frequent in NYC. We plan to make this venue a staple on our visits to the Danbury CT area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for her 50th birthdayKenKDined on 7/26/2013The setting is scenically located at the Richter Park golf course. The menu offers a wide range of choices and specials. All 5 of us ordered something different from the menu or the specials and each of us was very happy with our choices. The presentation, taste and temperature of the food was well balanced. One person ordered the Salmon special that was prepared with a bright and refreshing Mango salsa. It was really good. The wine list offers an extensive range of choices. There is a very impressive dessert Flambe Banana Fosters for two that is prepared table side. We chose this place for a 50th birthday party dinner and we were very satisfied with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellent and serviceBpowDined on 7/13/2013food was excellent and service outstanding - very impressed with service - well oiled machine where entire staff knew their roles place was packed and staff never missed a beat while serving excellent foodSpecial Features:
- Great Dining, Service and ViewJanWVIPDined on 7/13/2013Café on the Green is a gem – what a great find in the Danbury hills. Our sauvignon blanc and pinot gris were perfectly chilled and of very good quality. My mother had the lobster ravioli, my daughter had the fish of the day, and I had the rack of lamb. All 3 dishes were excellent and beautifully presented. We loved the dessert specialty of the house – Bananas Foster Flambe done at tableside! The service is terrific and the view of the golf course is beautiful. A group of about 20 people was seated nearby for lunch, all enjoying a baby shower so special events and group parties may be arranged as well. We definitely are looking forward to returning and if the weather permits, we would love to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday, July 12, 2013firebirdDined on 7/12/2013This was our wedding anniversary and was most pleasant and enjoyable. The dinner and dessert was delicious and the service by Luis was exceptional. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsStanGarDined on 7/6/2013Privately run restaurant at a beautiful public golf course. Far exceeded expectations. Interesting Italian specialties, pulled duck bolognese excellent. Very reasonable and extensive wine list. Still serve flaming bananas foster. Can sit outside and listen to live music from the Danbury Summer music presentations while watching golfers come in on the 18th green. A nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wrong night to comeVacationDined on 7/3/2013disappointed that a golfing party was literally happening in the same room with only a curtain as a divider. the LOUDSPEAKER and noise from the rowdy crowd of golfers was annoying and not conducive to a romantic or relaxing dinner, which was what we were hoping to enjoy. Finally, an hour after our arrival, the party disbanded and calm was restored but the evening was not what we had expected or looked forward to.... otherwise, the service was excellent and the food/wine selection was also very good. Would prefer to avoid being on the fringe of loud, raucous parties with A LOUDSPEAKER on the other side of a curtain in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerGrandmaTDined on 6/23/2013We chose to sit outside - the view is beautiful out over the golf course with wildlife. It was a little distracting that they were washing down golf carts just below us, but that is to be expected. The food was great, but wine by the glass was disappointing. I had what was described as a full-bodied red wine, but it was light to my taste. When I mentioned to waiter, he didn't seem to care, didn't offer a different selection. I chose a different wine that I liked better, but I was disappointed in no guidance from waiter. Also, limited list of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation dininggreatdayDined on 6/22/2013We enjoyed our meal but felt the service was very poor. Not much attention given to our table and had the feeling we were a bother. The waiter was not friendly. Too bad because this is a beautiful location but poor service can ruin a meal.Special Features:
- A disappointment againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013Making reservations ahead of time do not seem to guarantee proper seating. SEPERATE the people instead of seating everyone on top of each other!!
- Wonderful Mother's Day BrunchJohnPDined on 5/12/2013Went to Cafe on the Green for Mothers Day Brunch and totally enjoyed the meal. Was a beautiful day with wonderful views and the food and service were great. The Veal Osso Bucco was to die for!Special Features:
- Delicious and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2013Cafe on the Green has been our "special night out" spot for 14 years. They have not disappointed! The service is fabulous, the wine list excellent (and if you can't decide their recommendations are always great) and the food is consistently delicious. If it is a special day, or just a regular night out, you can't go wrong with Cafe on the Green.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is amazing! GreatHappyMomsDayDined on 5/12/2013The food is amazing! Great flavors and well plated. It impressed my relatives and didn't cost me a fortune.I also can't say enough about the service. You never have to look for a waiter. And anyone you ask for something is willing to get it for you. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicelovesitalianDined on 5/11/2013The service was horrible. We only saw our waiter once and ended up ordering from some one else. The bus people were very good. We ordered an appetizer and got it the same time as our salads. The app was was supposed to be quinoa encrusted, there wasn't any. The veal was so tough I could not cut it. The two pasta dinner's were good. We were never asked about dessert and when I made the reservation I let them know it was a birthday celabration.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceCTMNMADined on 5/11/2013Attentive service and excellent food. Six for dinner and everyone around the table raved about their choice as the "best" of the evening. Great spot for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.