Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
728 Pine Street
Herndon, VA 20170Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zeffirelliristorante.com/
- Phone: 7033187000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
Since opening in 1991, Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano has been established as a fine tradition in historic Herndon. The 100 year old building adds character and ambiance to Zeffirelli’s dining experience. Our formal service, candlelit tables, exquisite Tuscan cuisine, and fine wines set an incomparable atmosphere for our patrons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Herndon ›
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (50)romantic (45)notable wine list (25)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (17)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good dinerluvfoodforeverDined on 2/19/2014We had a good time but we felt rushed when a large group of at least 15 people came in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice In a WeekJoeMDined on 2/19/2014Loved the food so came back twice within 4 days. Tried two different veal and pasta dishes. All were wonderfully presented and tasty - cleaned our plates. Service was good and not rushed but was missing the warmth you might expect at a local eatery. Would recommend portobello mushroom appetizer. Overall -cost was reasonable; quality of food high - worth the visit. Will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Valentines Day Fixed MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014The Valentines Day Fixed Menu was quite a surprise-not in a good way. My wife & I are vegetarians & had identified menu items we wanted to order. Upon arrival, we were forced to order from a special Valentines Day menu, which we weren't informed about & had a few vegetarian options. Our waiter did not appear thrilled when he found out we were vegetarian. I asked for an entrée portion of the agnolotti on the appetizer menu. They still gave me an appetizer portion for my entrée. My wife ordered a glass of Moscato. The waiter tried to push a cheaper glass of Prosecco on her saying that it tasted the same as Moscato & there was no Moscato left-both lies, as the table behind us received Moscato. This wasn't worth $65 per head. No more business.
- DisappointingNB440Dined on 2/14/2014We haven't been there for a long time, so we decided to go there for Valentine's Day. It used to be one of favorite restaurants to go 12 years ago. Should have known that we would limited to a fixed priced Valentine's menu. I would prefer to see the regular menu. Initially we were served with burned bread until we send it back and got some better ones. My meal was good and my husband liked his. The food was good but not great. The service was very lacking. I think we saw or waiter 3 times for the 2 hours we were there. I doubt that we would return there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic flavorsEvilGMDined on 2/10/2014Third time eating here. Each time has been a great experience. Would eat here more often if prices were lower. Definitely worth a visit and great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always charming!EnzoDined on 2/7/2014If you enjoy chain restaurants where the hostess hands you a buzzer for a 90 minute wait and the noise level is similar to a Caps game, then this place is not for you. On the other hand, if you want to pull directly into a parking spot, walk 60 seconds to the front door of a charming one-off building, be seated almost immediately by the host at a white tablecloth intimate table, enjoy excellent, attentive friendly service, converse with your date at a normal speaking level, and appreciate very good food and wine, then Zeffirelli is the place. But don't tell anybody, or else it will get too crowded!Special Features:
- Neighborhood StapleecrutleDined on 2/4/2014Welcoming staff greets repeat customers with warmth and courtesy. Visiting Zeffirelli is like visiting family. The specials are always delightful and the veal chop is my favorite...anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cuisinefrequentvisitorDined on 2/4/2014Loved the salmon on the menu. Very flaky and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyablefussyfoodieDined on 1/30/2014Chilean Sea Bass with a citrus sauce was a special along with the Lobster Bisque and both were delicious. The server recommended a wine that was just right. I keep returning here with friends and I am always pleased.Special Features:
- Over ServedTakenCareVIPDined on 1/19/2014We love Zefferreli's and will always go back. The food is awesome and the price point exceptional. We went Sunday night during the playoff's and we were actually over-served. There were 2X servers to tables. It's OK to just match ambiance with service and not clear the table every 4 minutesSpecial Features:
- Food was excellentfrequentvisitorDined on 1/14/2014My salmon was cooked to perfection. Loved the quiet lunch so that we could visit with friends. Be very careful when you exit. The steps are hazardous. I don't see well and after a glass of wine, it would be an easy place for me to fall. The maître' d usually warns me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely outstandingJasonDined on 1/10/2014The service and ambiance were very nice, but about what you would expect and a nicer and small-ish restaurant. What really makes this establishment stand out in my mind is the unbelievable food. For me, Italian food tends to range somewhere between "fairly good" and "pretty good" with the quality of restaurant, wine, etc making it a nice choice for a date and an overall enjoyable experience. While none of those things are lacking here, the food makes this place. Zeffirelli's moved the bar for me, and may have ruined my ability to enjoy "pretty good" Italian food elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Baby FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/10/2014Even though my reservation specifically noted a baby was part of the dinning party the restaurant's only highchair was taken earlier by another table. A restaurant with only one highchair is not baby friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm reception on a cold nightHerndoniteDined on 1/1/2014There was a storm outside and only one other couple besides us decided to brave the elements to dine at Zefferelli's. But the wait staff never made us feel rushed and simply acted as if it was a normal night. Our veal chop and chicken parm were delicious, the wine by the glass very good and the scene outside the window provided a winter wonderland. I will say that although I noted in my reservation that this dinner was to celebrate my husband's birthday, nothing special was done for us to celebrate the occasion. But otherwise it was a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Years's Eve MenuLawmanpiDined on 12/31/2013We hadn't been to Zeffirelli's in about 20 years. The food and service were exceptional. It won't be another 20 until we return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the FoodNotaFoodSnobDined on 12/31/2013The food was fantastic, the pace was appropriate, the restaurant was full and the service was impeccable. i would recommend this restaurant to anyone, Fine Dining at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good DinningtakemeoutDined on 12/31/2013this is a nice restaurant for couples and small groups, easy to hold conversation, the food is good, service is very good, and price is moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chop choplandjjDined on 12/31/2013Had dinner with friends on New years eve and it was delightful. Menu was great, wine list excellent but he best of the evening was the dinner. The lamb chops were by far the best that I have ever had.salute to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyVAFoodieMomVIPDined on 12/31/2013The service is always impeccable at Zeffirelli but it doesn't quite make up for the watered down cocktails and average food. We always try to go to neighborhood, mom and pop restaurants to support local businesses but the food is over priced for the quality that you get. We may not return unfortunately.Special Features:
- Zeffirelli's always has excellentshadowDined on 12/28/2013Zeffirelli's always has excellent selections, well prepared and served. The small size gives a feeling of intimacy w/o being crowed. Staff is helpful w/o being intrusive AND the veal chop is the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2013food used to be better.. very pricey for what you get.Special Features:
- Christmas Evestephun05Dined on 12/24/2013What better place to celebrate Christmas Eve than an Italian restaurant? The appetizer (calimari) was out surprisingly fast. The entrees paled in comparison, notably late. The seafood dish was excellent with perfectly prepared scallops and mussels. The accompanying pasta was flavorful and winey. My companions were similarly pleased with their choices. Zefirrelis was a good choice for an Italian holiday meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only offering a special ChristmasElizDined on 12/24/2013Only offering a special Christmas menu. Would have chosen another time to dine there. The portions reasonable, but the prices are too high. The pasta not even fresh/homemade. Special menu entrees were priced higher ones on the regular menu. For that price, pasta should be fresh! My loster ravioli thick/chewy. The waiter was extremely attentive though place was packed. We waited a long time while others seated after us got their food.Our waiter noticed, as we did not complain, he brought another glass of wine on the house and apologized. Nice.The bread was delicious. Our table was situated poorly, directly at the end of the path from the kitchen to main dining area. Other waiters kept kicking my chair as they passed to get to tables past us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An impressive findNewlocalVIPDined on 12/20/2013We recently moved to the area and have been trying several restaurants. This was quite a find. Roberto was fantastic on his recommendations. Even though they didn't have a kids menu they were kid friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zeffirelli'sFFDHJZDined on 12/18/2013Zeffirelli's is a great little restauraunt in the historic area of Herndon. It is warm, cozy and the food has always been delicious. The staff is welcoming and provides excellent service. I'm not a wine drinker but I have hear it has a great selection. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- foodyodanabiDined on 12/4/2013We are living near Carabba's and Zeffirelli so we've been these two Italian restaurant often. Zeffirelli has a quiet atmosphere but Carabba's has better food. My wife had ravioli dish but but it's shell was very hard and thick. MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRosieDined on 11/23/2013Very nice find. Just wish the server would have told us that the veal chop special was $48. A little sticker shock at the end.Special Features:
- Good food. Entrees start fromKAshDined on 11/23/2013Good food. Entrees start from $18. Variety of wines. Reservations definitely needed. Very crowded at dinner so that makes it very hard to hear. Tables are too close together so you feel a bit cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Like this RestaurantDavidVIPDined on 11/22/2013Love the homemade pastas, specials and flexibility in ordering and switching ingredients. A bit pricey in spots, but generally solid food, service and excellent ambience. Very good wine list...many bottles very reasonably priced under $45. I can't understand why it isn't typically more crowded than it usually is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent ItalianJerseyJazzDined on 11/21/2013After traveling twice in this area on business in the past month, Zerffirelli is the only restaurant I chose to return to. Great food that goes beyond the usual Italian menu, courteous service, good lighting, and a sound level that allows conversations -- all these are positive factors. I ate there once by myself and also enjoyed it; they didn't rush me, the way other area eateries did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sporadic Service!MaggiVIPDined on 11/20/2013The food was very good. Service was sporadic – never quite knew who was our server. We asked that the check be split 1/3 and 2/3 and they could not do it – we had to do the math for them. That was surprising!!!!
- Birthday DinnerGreenpointGusDined on 11/18/2013We visited Zeffirelli's for my birthday after having visited another Italian restaurant in Herndon the past two years. It was a wise decision. The menu at Zeffirelli's is more ambitious and better executed. They did an Italian take on snails that was less garlicky than the standard escargot appetizer, resulting in a delightfully delicate flavor. Ditto the tomato-based sauce on the Linguine San Remo, which did not overpower the shellfish and pasta the way most marinaras would. While the wine list was not extensive, it did offer good variety. We shared a bottle of nebbiolo, with strong cherry and floral notes, an unusual find in a neighborhood Italian place. We plan to return to Zeffirelli's again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have spent all our specialYumbumsDined on 11/16/2013Have spent all our special occasions in past couple years at this restaurant. Feel so comfortable and well taken care of when we are there.Special Features:
- FantasticBestRealtorDined on 11/14/2013Everything about this restaurant was fantastic. It started with a warm greeting, followed by a excellent service. Our waitress was very attentive, friendly, and helpful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zeffirewow!Diner1Dined on 11/14/2013This is some ofthe best Italian cuisine and service I have had the pleasure to experience. The food is fresh and excellent. The restaurant has old town charm and is great for special occasions. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an eclectic experienceTheBossDined on 11/14/2013Unique interior contributes to the overall charm of the dining experience. When close to full, however, it is difficult to have quiet conversations. While not high-end italian gourmet, the food is bountiful, flavorsome and presented well. I have yet to have a bad, even average meal at Ziffirelli's - a solid 8 to 8.5 on a 10 point scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming & relaxedVetteGalVIPDined on 11/9/2013Last minute plan and not disappointed. Quite relaxed meal, and the service as always was excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another superb experience!bandJDined on 11/2/2013out 4th time there, dinner was superb -- always some great special dinner options from chef, great service also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zefferelli's still very good!Walker707Dined on 11/2/2013We had not dined at Zefferelli's in quite a while, but we were pleased by our experience there on Saturday evening. My husband and I each enjoyed a veal entre, salad and dessert. The food was well-prepared, nicely presented, and very tasty. Service was fine, although the waiter forgot to ask if we wanted coffee and we had to call him back to order it. We had a pleasant dinner and left the restaurant comfortably satisfied. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMartyDined on 11/2/2013The mussels were fantastic. I got the leg of lamb special. Perfectly cooked and flavored!Special Features: