Girasole - Philadelphia
1410 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Girasole - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.girasolephilly.com/
- Phone: 2157322728
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Angela Iovino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: There's something special about entertaining in your home. Hosting guests at home - be the family, close friends, or business associates - can make for a memorable and especially convivial gathering. At Girasole, we ensure that home entertaining is an enjoyable and carefree event for hosts. We interpret your personal view and feel because It's your party and you should enjoy and savor it as much as your company. That's why we take special care when creating at-home events - they are often the most personal statement a host can make.
- Private Party Facilities: Girasole Restaurant & Bar offers private dining for any occasion. Business breakfast and meetings, luncheons, dinners, celebrations & wedding. We have 2 distinct private rooms, including our of-the-art Private Dining Suite that can accommodate up to 100 guests for casuals gathering & up to 60 for seat down dinners. We also offer cozier semi-private dining for more intimate groups. Menus, wine and other offerings can be customized to create a perfect event for your guests, whether it is for business or celebration.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle 2157322728
A word from Girasole - Philadelphia
Boutique authentic Italian Mediterranean restaurant & bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Girasole - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (24)romantic (21)special occasion (19)good for groups (11)notable wine list (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Unfortunately I have to givegrpof7VIPDined on 10/4/2013Unfortunately I have to give the overall experience only 2* as we were going for the pre-fix dinner as advertised on the website. We had a reservation at 6pm but when we arrived they told us it is not available! and we wound up spending a lot more money then intended.
- Great Menu OptionsDavePVIPDined on 9/25/2013There is a Prix fixe menu with plenty of great options to choose from. The service and food was outstanding, check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian FareAndrewVIPDined on 9/21/2013Solid Italian fare for a reasonable price, particularly during Restaurant Week. The carpaccio is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinner OfferingmissestheolddaysVIPDined on 9/21/2013We were lucky to hit their Restaurant Dinner Week, so their menu was special for that. They listed a large selection for the $35.00 dinner. The food was nice, but not memorable .
- Exceptional Food and Service!DinesalotVIPDined on 9/10/2013I dine and entertain for a living all over the US. Girasole has just registered my loyalties for anytime I am in/near Philly. I took a true Italian and lifelong Philiadelphian business associate who could not get over the fact that he has somehow missed this petite restaurant in the theater district. Food, 10 stars, service, 10 stars. When the item I saw on line was not listed on the menu, the great server got the owner to come out, he explained why it was not on the menu, then spoke with his wife in the back... They both insisted I should have it... And it was some of the best seafood I have ever eaten. Truly, a family run, authentic coastal Italian restaurant, that tops any I have ever eaten at. Go...and be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but expensiveXeatDined on 9/10/2013The food here is good but very expensive. It is like paying B+ price for B- food.
- True Tuscan cuisine in PhiladelphiaCenterCityFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2013Some restaurants say they are "Northern Italian." I am invariably disappointed. I don't think they have a clue what the difference is between the cooking of the different regions in Italy. Usually they are Italian-American. Il Girasole is a rarity -- a northern Italian restaurant of the type one finds in Modena. Such a restaurant has a short menu with recognizable dishes -- nothing exotic. Why? Because the focus is on fine ingredients (fresh fish, ripe tomatoes, etc.) excellently prepared. To give one example: the carpaccio parmigiano here is the best I have had in Philadelphia, sliced so thin, with olive oil and lemon, slivers of parmigiano cheese and of course, arugula. Great, attentive, discreet servivce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inside, Outside, At the BarTJMoirVIPDined on 8/7/2013In the summer we like to drop by Girasole to eat dinner on the sidewalk, or just have a drink or dessert. Sometimes we like to drop in and eat at the bar and chat with the owners, staff, and neighbors. On this trip we made an Open Table reservation and the whole seated dining experience. All are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time there and I likeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2013Second time there and I like the restaurant unfortunately my girlfriends steak was overcookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013We dined before theatre, my server Michelle was fabulous, she helped us choose our dinner and her choices were perfect almost as if she knew us personally. Very happy and will return many timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really italian tasteDiegoleVIPDined on 7/30/2013This restaurant was absolutely outstanding. I'm italian and I live in US since 2005. Girasole was a trip in Italy, a dream trip. The executive Chefs Angela and Michele were amazing. Fantastic experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kimmel Center optionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2013We enjoyed a lovely post matinee early dinner with young nieces. The service was friendly and accommodating for a young picky eater and the food was interesting enough for her more adventurous sister. The menu is limited with only @ 5 choices for each course but all were very good. We especially enjoyed the housemade pastas and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Swordfish Special Was AmazingTJMoirVIPDined on 7/9/2013We both got the Swordfish special – and it was incredible: fresh, high quality, and perfectly prepared. Thank you to Cameron for suggesting the perfect after-dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two of the four diners eachOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2013Two of the four diners each had a spectacular fish dish (baked in salt crust, which retained incredible moisture while not making it 'salty'), the other two had pasta dishes, also very good. This was our first time, we will happily recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceRosebud305Dined on 7/3/2013Went there last week Ordered a pasta dish. It was good not great. Portion was very small, the size of a large orange and they charged $19. I will never go back. As for atmosphere, the banquets are in need of upholstering. The silk fabric was worn away and it looks awful. Actually they seated us at a banquet and I took one look at it and refused so we sat at a small wood table and chairs.
- Great for Lunch TooTJMoirVIPDined on 6/20/2013We've had many wonderful dinners and events at Girasole, but until now, never lunch. We had a great lunch with a full menu celebrating my partner's mother's 87th birthday. The food was wonderful. Great service from TJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, service, andColleenDined on 6/7/2013Wonderful food, service, and very welcoming staff. We felt very special, and look froward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointmnetherdocoDined on 6/6/2013This is the second time I have been disappointed. The first was their failure to honor a 6:30 reservation in anticiipation of going to the theater at 8:00 and remaining unseated at 6:40. So we left. The next was for a 6:00 resevation for the same reason, a theater date @8:00. The restaurant was nearly empty when we were seated. I ordered one of the specials veal Piccante and was given the wrong veal dish and we were still in the reetaurant at 7:45 when we were able to leave.This has not been my prior experiences with this particular Girasole, but I will think twicw before returning there again.
- Family night outChrisVIPDined on 6/1/2013We were a group of 9 with a couple children. Restaurant did a fairly good job of taking care of us. The waitress did disappear for long periods of time. We had starters and mostly pastas. The salad was over salted. Others really liked the barata salad, beef carpacio. The pastas lacked seasoning, but sauces were fresh.Special Features:
- Always a good dinner.KittyKatDined on 5/25/2013We always enjoy going to Girasole. The food is reliably good, the service is well done and the servers are knowledgable. people seem genuinely concerned that their patrons get value for money. Fresh food, well prepared and quiet so that conversation at the table is possible. Close to the Kimmel Center so nice before the concerts.Special Features:
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2013We were quite disappointed - the service was really slow; the booth we sat in was falling apart and uncomfortable. They do not have a real full service bar - a simple vodka, 7-up, with splash of cranberry was terrible; i.e the soda was flat - they only had one bottle!!! The food was decent but the service and length of time our food took to come out would make us not go back!!!
- Great Meal with FriendsTJMoirVIPDined on 5/19/2013We took friends who had whole fish baked in a salt crust while in Europe. The were curious to see how it was done at Girasole. They were very happy with Bronzino. The wine, the service, and the ambiance were also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular new menuBuonaCenaVIPDined on 5/4/2013Girasole's new menu features beloved dishes from Angela Iovino's remarkable repertoire, as well as new interpretations of Italian standards. Meatballs in tomato sauce were a featured appetizer on my last visit; a standard that was truly memorable. The first noticeable difference is the sauce: it is made from fresh tomatoes and bursts with tomato flavor. And the meatballs were perfect: nicely textured, and carefully flavored, yet so light they nearly floated from the dish; the work of the hand of a master, not iron, chef. This was followed by farfalle in pesto sauce: pasta cooked to the exact point of 'doneness' and cloaked the freshest basil and pine nut pesto. A dinner that nicely complimented a fine spring evening. Bravissima Angela.Special Features:
- food was good but they advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2013food was good but they advertised on Open Table that they take the dinning card which offers a 25% discount but when we presented it they said they had a problem with it and wouldn't accept it. Disappointing!Special Features:
- Seating needs improvementmyselfVIPDined on 4/13/2013Seating needs improvement - one falls into banquettes, flimsy chairs are uncomfortable. Rosemary chicken was so tough it fought a serrated knife!Special Features:
- The pasta was absolutely delicious.centercityresidentDined on 4/12/2013The pasta was absolutely delicious. Everyone seemed to enjoy their dinners. We all ordered appetizers and pasta main courses. A definite recommend.Special Features:
- A wonderful evening at Girasole.TJMoirVIPDined on 4/5/2013A wonderful evening at Girasole. Everything was perfect for our Friday night dinner. The lamb and tuna specials were very tasty. The wine recommendation was spot-on. The service was great. (Welcome back Cameron)Special Features:
- We had a good meal and willOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2013We had a good meal and will return to Girasole. Homemade pasta was excellent. Cooked perfectly and great comination of flavor with sausage, mushrooms and oil and spices. Salad was plentiful, fresh and tasty. Would skip the tunat tartare. Lacked fresheness and tastieness and stuck to plate. Atmosphere is pleasant and service was good - attentive but not over bearing.
- Everything was good. However,howard2VIPDined on 4/5/2013Everything was good. However, if I had been asked again how everything was, I would have complained. At least two waitpeople and another person (manager?) kept asking...probably 3 or 4 times with EACH course.
- I love Girasole's food. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/2/2013I love Girasole's food. I think it is well executed and delicious. Sometimes the service is a little slow.Special Features:
- Girasole ReviewMarTom32VIPDined on 3/30/2013The positives: 1) Great location near the Avenue of the Arts and all its entertainment venues; 2) the staff was very welcoming and attentive; 3) background noise was minimal so you could have a good conversation with your dining partner; 4) decent wine list; 5) the pasta dish I ordered was excellent - homemade gnocchi. The negatives: 1) Limited menu which is surprising for an Italian eatery (no specials); the place needs a serious makeover; 3) the bread offering is terrible - skimpy, cold, just a few slices of bread. Girasole needs to step it up a bit and present itself like a Center City dining establishment, not a small neighborhood joint. There's a lot of competition in the area.
- Had a great meal. The homemadeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/8/2013Had a great meal. The homemade pasta was delicious as well as the cheese plate and entree. My only complaint was the warm apple tart was not warm when it got to the table.Special Features:
- I beleive the food was mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/2/2013I beleive the food was mediocre and over priced. The menu was not very inspiring and in fact my wife ordered one thing and got something totally different. It would have taken more time than it was worth to send it back. I would not go back as there are many other restaurants in the area that I would prefer to dine in.
- I've been to Girasole before;OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2013I've been to Girasole before; sometimes just for a drink and have had some delicious meals. Their wine-by-the-glass list, has been very interesting, but this visit they were in the middle of a transition (according to our server) so the list was sparce. My date and I each had delicious homemade pasta entrees. Dessert was a dense, rich chocolate mousse.Special Features:
- Appetizers, salads & entreesshowgirlDined on 3/1/2013Appetizers, salads & entrees were excellent, the specials were awesome. Pretty place but a little too dim, service was terrible, waitress had attitude from the start as if we were a bother to her. Then because they were not busy, the hostess, waitress & bar person stood together, arms folded and just stared at us, making us uncomfortable. No water refill when asked. Dessert menu was weak, we were told they only had full dessert menu during the summer. 7:30pm on a friday night only 3 tables of people had been in so I suppose we were not the first to have bad service there. We are generally 20-25% tippers and very agreeable, but not this time. There are too many choices in Philadelphia to try there again.
- Very Nice ExperiencelilbenVIPDined on 2/17/2013Very good experience all around. Food quality and service were excellent- delicious homemade gnocchi, pastas. Wine list was limited, but fine for accompaniment with the dishes. They were out of some seafood items I wished to order, but the server and hostess were very apologetic, and circled back twice to be sure I was satisfied with my meal (which I was). Ambiance was cozy, although it was not very crowded on this Sunday evening. A bit on the chilly side, although they had some large space heaters in the dining room.Special Features:
- Truly decent.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/16/2013It's been a long time since I ate at Girasole, which I had loved at its old location. Though it's still decent, the Philadelphia restaurant scene has improved to the point where my expectations have changed. The new place is lovely, the service is pleasant if not entirely professional (trying to bring us wine while we were still drinking cocktails). Fresh pasta is very good -- light and not oversauced. Nothing here is bad, it's just cuisine that feels a little tired. Compared to some of the truly wonderful Italian restaurants we have around town now, Amis, Melagrano, Osteria, etc. with their ethereal pastas and sharp flavors, it's an also-ran. But it's just fine for a night out when you can't get in anywhere else.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and wellMaestraBDined on 2/16/2013Food was excellent and well prepared -- we arrived a bit late and had to make an 8 pm curtain and they were great about making sure that happened.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal there.SuzeDined on 2/16/2013We enjoyed our meal there. All was great except for the bread. It was very poor. When other Italian establishments such as La Viola, bring out fresh baked bread, one wonders why Girasole did not offer the same. Otherwise, absolutely no complaints except that not all the service staff knew what Bourbons they had and of course, the one my husband wanted, they were out of. But we left them with our recommendations. It is a wonderful place. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Went to Girasole for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2013Went to Girasole for Valentine's Day. They only had a fixed menu for that day. Food was tasty and the service was great. I will go back during a non holiday day to try dishes from the regular menu.Special Features: