94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
8885 Balboa Ave
San Diego, CA 92123Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.94thaerosquadron.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: (858) 560-6771
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - FRiday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: D.J. & Dancing on Fridays from 6:00 pm until 1:30 am. Singles Night with D.J. & Dancing on Tuesdays from 7:00 pm until 11:00 pm. Live Band July through October, every Thursday on the patios, 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm.
A word from 94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
For over 30 years, one of San Diego's landmark dining destinations and one of the most unique and memorable restaurants you will ever find. Located inside a replica of a World War I French farmhouse decorated with fascinating military memorabilia, antiques, and aviation relics, the restaurant overlooks Montgomery Field Airport, and has a cozy and romantic ambiance, with large stone fireplaces intimate booths, and beautiful views. The extensive menu features mid-western aged beef and the freshest seafood. Here you will find USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, slow-roasted Angus prime rib, succulent lobster tail, fresh fish, rack of lamb, veal, chicken, pasta dishes, and fabulous desserts. Their famous Champagne Brunch is currently the #1 Sunday Brunch in the city on AOL's CityGuide poll and is not to be missed. Beautiful outdoor patios, a very popular Happy Hour, and excellent banquet facilities help make the 94th Aero Squadron one of the great dining experiences in all of San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Kearny Mesa ›
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)great for brunch (50)scenic view (46)great for outdoor dining (43)romantic (37)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (18)kid-friendly (16)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- ReceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Our reservation was for 4:30pm and we checked in at 4:15. While waiting to be seated we noticed people being seated who had checked in after our party. One group was greeted by the server as a friend and seated immediately. Other groups were being seated when I approached the hostess and mentioned that we had already checked in and were still waiting to be seated. She and another woman found our group in the computer and had us escorted to a table. I don't know if our name was called since a PA system wasn't being used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerGeneDined on 4/19/2014Best French Onion soup around! A must-have on every visitSpecial Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2014The ambiance, food and service were great. Enjoyed items on the menu that we wouldn't have ordinarily tried.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014My wife and I dined at the 94th aero had a wonderful time, the food was great and the staff was great. Would recommend this restaurant to every one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday wiith friendscharlieDined on 4/17/2014Everything went well until Dinner was served our baked potatoes were bad, my wife's was immediately replaced. I was not able to discover mine was rotted on the end, until I had eaten half of it. The potato was immediately replaced. Problems happen at times. The rest of the evening went very well, service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are on vacation as a familygtwinsDined on 4/13/2014We are on vacation as a family of 5, with a couple of picky eaters, makes it difficult to find the perfect place to go that has a variety to make all happy. 94th aero squadron did just that. The food was delicious and no complaints from the picky eaters. The kids loved watching the air strip with the different planes that took off and landed. I thought at first it would be loud with the planes, and was pleasantly suprised to find it quiet that you could have a nice family conversation. All the little nick naks in the restaurant added to the Ambience. Our waiter, George, was great. Very friendly,even helped us located a spot to visit that we could not remember the name . We went after eating, thanks George!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sunday brunch is to die formzmooreDined on 4/6/2014If you are looking for great food in a casual atmospher, this is the place for you. With so much to choose from, you will leave there with the itis!! LOLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPudnickDined on 4/5/2014I proposed to my wife here 32 years ago and it is still great. I am not going to wait for another 32 years to go back. The food was excellent, the service was top notch and the ambience was perfect. Now I know why I chose this place to propose to my wife. I will recommend this location to all my friends and family. It would be a great place to have a wedding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic diningtappingtothestarsDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I both enjoy the Aero Sqaudon as it maintains the atmosphere and standing missing in today's society of fast-food/generic theme park establishments. It is a restaraunt for a higher class evening out and practical as well. I don't know how they retainthe professional level staff, but I'm always happy to see the folks with whom I've become familiar. I'm always impressed with the staff whether it is the host, waiter, server or cook, who has sometimes demonstarted interest by visiting the table. The restaraunt is excellant, the food is consistantly good and an excellant value in the Early-Flight offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dining experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2014Our dining experience overall was OK, but not quite as good as usual. The service seemed a little rushed, and the food just wasn't quite as good as in past visits. The prime rib was less tender, and the mashed potatoes were dry. We have enjoyed celebrating special occasions there in the past, but our anniversary dinner this time didn't completely live up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an unusual scenic view.PennyVIPDined on 4/2/2014It's an unusual scenic view. It's of Montgomery Field airport. It's fun to watch planes takeoff and land without all the noise. The restaurant is decorated inside and out to look like a WWI French farm house. It's lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to returning soontime4sunsetDined on 3/31/2014Great food, service and ambiance. Menu offers a variety of appetizers , salads and entrees at reasonable prices. Our group of 7 adults had nothing but positive comments about the food and the charming atmosphere. We ordered from the Early Flight menu that is available from 4 pm - 6 pm. It included Soup or salad, coffee or tea and a dessert. Four of us ordered prime rib, and the others had steak, fish or chicken. . All were very pleased with everything ordered.. Great margaritas, too! We appreciated the attentive but not overbearing service. Another plus--the noise level was low and we could easily converse during dinner. We plan to return soon. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Service againRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 3/29/2014Always have a great meal at the Aero. Tonight was perfect in all respects. The early flight menu is still a great value.Special Features:
- Lots of fun!vivnessDined on 3/27/2014Great for airplane fans, we could even listen to real time flight recordings. We had a great time with terrific food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We, again, enjoyed a deliciousdiningouterDined on 3/23/2014We, again, enjoyed a delicious brunch at 94th. The selection of items is endless and they are alwys watchful, keeping the buffet stocked! Everything is fresh and beautifully displayed. The wait staff is attentive and the champagne flows. Your glass is never empty! Top the food and service with the interesting outside decor and the view of the airport and it's a great experience. Lots of parking and an early brunch deal that can't be beat in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchsdnativeDined on 3/23/2014Although we've been to 94th Aero Squadron in the past for lunch, we were pleasantly surprised that they serve brunch on Sundays. It was a perfect locale for gathering our family who live in every corner of the county and their food selection included something for everyone - even the kids were happy both with the food and the opportunity to walk around outside. Although it worked well for our purposes, be aware that it is really crowded, busy, and noisy for brunch (we were there around noon). Great for families, but not so great if you are looking for a quiet, more relaxed place to enjoy your weekend morning. That being said, we'll be back. You can't beat a nicer restaurant that offers a full brunch buffet at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for relaxingSusan1484VIPDined on 3/18/2014Always enjoy a meal here because of its unique setting; across from the air field with a great ambience from a World War I French Farmhouse. To make it even more realistic, try the French onion soup as you gaze out at the planes landing and taking off and listen to the tower on headphones as they direct the air traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Sunday BrunchwannabfoodieDined on 3/16/2014The champagne brunch buffet here is one of the best in San Diego that I've been to. I'm talking really great price for quality food, I would definitely come back. Also, it's a super cute place, my friend and I had a lot of fun taking pictures outdoors and around the restaurant after our meals. Totally recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014The chairs wobbled and it seemed like they needed to tighten screws or get new chairs. From our window view there were umbrellas placed over the outside tables which were in the way of Montgomery field. I wanted to see some planes land or take off. All of the staff were very accommodating and friendly. The salmon was the best we ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningBrunchingDined on 3/9/2014Great WWI memorabilia, fun watching the small planes and helicopters taking off and landing, great service, great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rotten place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014we were met at the door by a person named Vince. he told us not to make reservations and refused to seat us. he then moved on to the next victim. we seated ourselves and waited in line for the buffet for 15 minutes to arrive at empty food containers. Vince refused to acknowledge that we had a complaint at all. we will not be returning to this place with the HORRIBLE little man named Vince. the only good part was the bartender named Andrea. she apologized continually for the rudeness of Vince and did everything she could to make our short visit a little better. if i can make a suggestion, do not ever go to this place!!!!! i can not recommend this restaurant for anything except an expensive bad time!!!
- Jessica was our server andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Jessica was our server and we were there for our anniversary and a birthday and we wanted to enjoy our dinning experience and she did not push us to get the dinner over with and on to the next table.Special Features:
- Great place for a nice dinnerhowelnDined on 3/8/2014We have been coming to place for years and is a great place for a really good relaxing meal where you can enjoy the company you are with. It is a true sitdown restaurant, where you can take the time to enjoy your meal without one course coming before your previous course isn't done. i.e. your main meal will not come while you are only half way through your soup. The focus is provide you a great experience and great food. Note, occasionally, the service can be a bit out of wack when they have the servers spread out.Special Features:
- 94th Aero SquadronCarolDined on 3/7/2014The relics are extremely interesting, a taste of the war years with all the memorabilia on hand. The detail that is used to preserve the photographs and other authentic items allows one to get a feel for that era. The dining/patio area overlook the landing strip at Montgomery Airport which adds additional charm to the restaurant. The servers are anxious to make the visit just about as good as it gets.Special Features:
- Good food (not great), decent pricecobracatDined on 3/4/2014Overall, an enjoyable evening. My pork chop was overcooked/dry, as were the vegetables, but the others in my party enjoyed their meals (shrimp) very much. Service was attentive, at times overly-attentive; our waiter frequently interrupted our conversation just to chat. Still…I'll go back. It's convenient, with plenty of free parking, and the menu is broad enough and affordable.Special Features:
- Outstanding - AgainRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 3/4/2014Wife, Son and I had a great dinner. Everything was perfect. The pricing for the "early flight" items is such a value. The portion size is the same, the quality is the same, but dine early and save big. The service was exceptional, timing and delivery, refills, wife's special request. . . all completed quickly, professionally with a bit of humor. 94th is quickly becoming a favorite, we drive a good distance to join them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and food werephillygirlDined on 3/3/2014The service and food were fantastic. Great place to take clients for lunch, they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived when it was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014We arrived when it was very busy. Due to weather the restaraunt was packed. However, the staff accommodated us even though we had 4 more people than we expected to arrive (14 total). We did make reservations, and didn't have to wait long despite the rain and bigger group situation. The wait staff was very busy, but was quick to ensure we had everything we needed. Overall a positive experience and I plan on returning. It is good for large groups. We did brunch. Brunch might be a little loud for a romantic option, but other times of day (i.e. dinner) might be a better option. Food was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi my friends and I visitedluv2eatDined on 3/2/2014Hi my friends and I visited on Sunday March 2 we made reservations @ 12:30 and we did not get seated until 1:20 and once we sat down we went right to the food and unfortunately there were no scrambled eggs the eggs Benedict were cold along w a few other items. Also our server was not very attentive. This was our second time there and probably our last per my husband request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why making a reservation?SterkieDined on 3/2/2014We booked a table and still had to wait for 50 min, I was very annoyed about that. We were with a baby and the waiting was just too long. The moment we sat down it was fine.Special Features:
- Another fantastic trip to the 94thJulRDined on 3/1/2014We have taken all of our visitors to the 94th Aero Squadron! What a fantastic restaurant! Great food and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rack of Lamb was ExcellentFtvaducDined on 2/24/2014Served with choice of two side dishes the Rack of Lamb was cooked to perfection and seasoned deliciously. There were six in our party on a Monday night and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Slow down and enjoyStuinSDVIPDined on 2/23/2014We have eaten here many times and the food is always quite good. The restaurant's decor is interesting so it's a fun place to bring visitors. Sometimes the service is a bit rushed so it's a good idea, if you are not in a hurry, to order one course at a time.Special Features:
- Good family dinner placeAlphakgDined on 2/22/2014We went here to celebrate my dads birthday. The decorations were very cool. It has a lot of plane and military/war memorabilia. It is dimly lit inside which was only a bother when trying to put salt my food :-) Our family all ended up with beef (filet, New York, prime rib, top sirloin), and all of it was really good. I was hoping we would see a few planes land at montegomery field while eating, but we were there at dusk so I'm not sure if many planes land there that close to dark. This restaurant is definitely a good quiet place to have a dinner with the parents or grandparents, and they have good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic (except Tues & Fri)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014We love 94th Aero Squadron for romantic dinners and celebrations (i.e. anniversaries and birthdays) but steer clear on Tuesdays and Fridays) as the restaurant has earmarked those nights as night club nights. If clubbing is your thing, it's a nice spot but we could do without the loud noise from music in the bar and the annoying restroom attendants on nightclub nights. Romantic dinners on any other night is aways five star and we are long time patrons...one of our personal favorites for date night or celebrating with family and friends.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Around 10 or so people have suggested going here. All i have to say is that 94th did not dissapoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty & Insipred Night SpotjbortonDined on 2/20/201494th Aero Squadron has quaint charm, great views, wonderful food, outdoor or indoor seating & outstanding service with a special flair. This was my third visit from out of town & I'd STILL keep recommending it to everyone. One of my favorite spots for food, drinks, & taking guests in the San Diego area. Victor the waiter & all the staff made the visit truly a fun experience & we had just a wonderful time choosing, eating, drinking & sharing with our guests. The spot can be romantic for just two, or fun for a group or a business visit as well & the historic aspect & views make it a cut above almost anywhere else I've been. Enjoy! Lots of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable early bird meal at dusk!Susan1484VIPDined on 2/16/2014Loved the view over the airfield as the sun was going down, the food - light for us this evening but tasty, and the fact that I had asked for a quiet table away from service areas and they read and followed my request (giving us a great table and the quiet to talk without constant noise or interruptions). I keep returning for the quality of service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014I received nothing but exceptional service, from the time I had to change my reservation, upon arrival and during brunch. our server Michael was exceptional. the food was delicious the champagne was freely flowing. excellent experienceSpecial Features:
- GreatBrunchDined on 2/16/2014The service was great. Susan was very attentive. The venue was very interesting with lots of memorabilia. It was very crowded in the main serving area, however, I do not know what could be done as it is a very small area. Lots is selections to choose from.Special Features: