94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
8885 Balboa Ave
San Diego, CA 92123Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.94thaerosquadron.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: (858) 560-6771
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - FRiday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: D.J. & Dancing on Fridays from 6:00 pm until 1:30 am. Singles Night with D.J. & Dancing on Tuesdays from 7:00 pm until 11:00 pm. Live Band July through October, every Thursday on the patios, 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm.
A word from 94th Aero Squadron - San Diego
For over 30 years, one of San Diego's landmark dining destinations and one of the most unique and memorable restaurants you will ever find. Located inside a replica of a World War I French farmhouse decorated with fascinating military memorabilia, antiques, and aviation relics, the restaurant overlooks Montgomery Field Airport, and has a cozy and romantic ambiance, with large stone fireplaces intimate booths, and beautiful views. The extensive menu features mid-western aged beef and the freshest seafood. Here you will find USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, slow-roasted Angus prime rib, succulent lobster tail, fresh fish, rack of lamb, veal, chicken, pasta dishes, and fabulous desserts. Their famous Champagne Brunch is currently the #1 Sunday Brunch in the city on AOL's CityGuide poll and is not to be missed. Beautiful outdoor patios, a very popular Happy Hour, and excellent banquet facilities help make the 94th Aero Squadron one of the great dining experiences in all of San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Kearny Mesa ›
94th Aero Squadron - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)great for brunch (67)scenic view (58)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (51)romantic (51)great for lunch (43)good for groups (42)fit for foodies (27)kid-friendly (21)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Husband's birthday dinnerdinnerDined on 5/6/2014We dined here for my husbands birthday. Overall I would say the experience was just okay. Our server, Rebecca, was nice enough, the soup was served lukewarm and there was no soup spoon with it. (I sent it back). She didn't check back with us to see if we wanted another drink, (we did), or bring silverware when she brought out our dessert. In short, she didn't make her call backs. We had to stop her and ask her for more coffee, drinks etc. We have been here many times before and the service was pretty amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedKilikinaDined on 5/4/2014I read the reviews and everyone thought the brunch was great so my family and I tried it. Totally not the case. The "hot food" was cold and dry. The crab legs were old and the cold shrimp was watery. The crepe station used frozen, pre-made creeps. To make matters worse, on the reservation I asked for 2 high chairs. I waited 3 minutes at our taxable and had to go back to the hostess stand to request for them AGAIN. When they did bring 1 high chair, it looked like it it was from 1980. I didn't feel comfortable using it for my 2 year old or my 4 year old.Special Features:
- Great Sunday Brunch SpotTinaDined on 5/4/2014The food is very good. The service is the BEST! Our gal has been there 23 years and she is a gem!Special Features:
- Siblings Birthdaysfunfor4Dined on 5/3/2014My daughter and son enjoyed their birthday dinner with friends. Always have a great meal and time when dining at 94th! Looking forwar to returning soon! Ease of making the reservation on line is a real plus!Special Features:
- 94th Always WonderfulNancyvDined on 4/30/2014Besides good prices, great service and good food, there is a huge outdoor patio area for drinks or eating. There are many specials during the week including bringing your own wine with no corkage and Happy Hour featuring something different each day.Special Features:
- Oldie but GoodiemotoeatsDined on 4/29/2014I love this restaurant, have been coming here for years, over 20 for sure. Still enjoy the food, I had salmon this time, not farm raised. My son had the Boneless Braised Short Ribs and loved it, I tried a bite and i liked it. Overall just a nice comfortable place to have a bite to eat and I still love the decor!! Rebecca, our waitress was outstanding, attentive to all our needs and one of our party was 30 mins late, no problem with Rebecca!!Special Features:
- RedSoxFanVIPDined on 4/28/2014Eddie was our server, and he made the night a really fun time. Very nice chicken dish with spinach, artichoke and cheese filling.
- A little tiredTriptitanDined on 4/28/2014This was my first time at 94th Aero Squadron. Time warp decor that puts you in Europe during the First World War. Plane parts hanging from the ceilings and bunkers outside. I think the theme is cool but dated. You can have a dated look but it just needs to be freshened up. The lunch buffet was $11.99 and sounded good but I don't eat that much anymore especially during lunch when I have to go back to work. If guess this style of restaurant works for them just not for me.Special Features:
- BrunchCbernardDined on 4/27/2014You can smell the ham and bacon in the parking lot. Great variety of food. To hv 4choices at carving station is unusual. Maybe add sone has browns to their menu? Great placeSpecial Features:
- So so great!JanaBDined on 4/27/2014Cheryl was terrific, she kept up on our mimosas and was so wonderfully friendly. Maritza the hostess sat us immediately and was also nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2014Our poor waiter had sooooo many problems.......more interested in his appearance than our service...bus boy excellent.....so many interuptions by our waiter...does not make for a good dining experience.......SADI would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantBaMBaM42Dined on 4/22/2014I first heard about this place from a friend talking and immediately looked it up and made a reservation and I was not disappointed. The food was so good, I had the Salmon and my boyfriend had the swordfish. I love the decor of the restaurant and all of the planes! I definitely want to come back to try the Sunday brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Experience fabulous food!MouseClubDined on 4/20/2014it had been years since anyone in our group of 8 had dined at Aero Squadron, and boy did we miss not visiting this place on a regular basis. we all met at the bar for dinner reservations at 5:00 on Easter. Our bartender was playful and took good care of all of us. We got to experience the ombience of it all. We all were so impressed with the decorations that adorn each room. This place is so cool can't say enough GOOD about it. Our server was so delightful, we interacted with her, she quickly became one of our group. The food was so home-cooked and tasty, this is certain to be one of all our favorites from now on. We all loved the plate each ordered and got to see eight different meals, all so great. Thanks Aero squadron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday dining after buffet can be challenging for any restaurant due to the change between buffet and regular restaurant service. We were seated just a few minutes late. Our server, Kelly, was up to the task but a little harried as lots of customers to handle at 5 pm. Food was well prepared and arrived in a timely manner despite the many diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 4/20/2014A bit longer wait than normal, but we got a table in the bar and just had a pre-dinner drink. Service was outstanding with great timing, refills on drinks and just warm friendly service. We forgot our leftover box on the table, the waitress ran out to the parking lot to catch us, what a sweet heart she was. Food very good, but steaks were a bit over done. The Early Flight dinner is listed as not being available on holidays, but Aero went ahead and gave us the normal lower prices...how nice is that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Our reservation was for 4:30pm and we checked in at 4:15. While waiting to be seated we noticed people being seated who had checked in after our party. One group was greeted by the server as a friend and seated immediately. Other groups were being seated when I approached the hostess and mentioned that we had already checked in and were still waiting to be seated. She and another woman found our group in the computer and had us escorted to a table. I don't know if our name was called since a PA system wasn't being used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerGeneDined on 4/19/2014Best French Onion soup around! A must-have on every visitSpecial Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2014The ambiance, food and service were great. Enjoyed items on the menu that we wouldn't have ordinarily tried.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014My wife and I dined at the 94th aero had a wonderful time, the food was great and the staff was great. Would recommend this restaurant to every one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday wiith friendscharlieDined on 4/17/2014Everything went well until Dinner was served our baked potatoes were bad, my wife's was immediately replaced. I was not able to discover mine was rotted on the end, until I had eaten half of it. The potato was immediately replaced. Problems happen at times. The rest of the evening went very well, service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are on vacation as a familygtwinsDined on 4/13/2014We are on vacation as a family of 5, with a couple of picky eaters, makes it difficult to find the perfect place to go that has a variety to make all happy. 94th aero squadron did just that. The food was delicious and no complaints from the picky eaters. The kids loved watching the air strip with the different planes that took off and landed. I thought at first it would be loud with the planes, and was pleasantly suprised to find it quiet that you could have a nice family conversation. All the little nick naks in the restaurant added to the Ambience. Our waiter, George, was great. Very friendly,even helped us located a spot to visit that we could not remember the name . We went after eating, thanks George!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sunday brunch is to die formzmooreDined on 4/6/2014If you are looking for great food in a casual atmospher, this is the place for you. With so much to choose from, you will leave there with the itis!! LOLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPudnickDined on 4/5/2014I proposed to my wife here 32 years ago and it is still great. I am not going to wait for another 32 years to go back. The food was excellent, the service was top notch and the ambience was perfect. Now I know why I chose this place to propose to my wife. I will recommend this location to all my friends and family. It would be a great place to have a wedding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic diningtappingtothestarsDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I both enjoy the Aero Sqaudon as it maintains the atmosphere and standing missing in today's society of fast-food/generic theme park establishments. It is a restaraunt for a higher class evening out and practical as well. I don't know how they retainthe professional level staff, but I'm always happy to see the folks with whom I've become familiar. I'm always impressed with the staff whether it is the host, waiter, server or cook, who has sometimes demonstarted interest by visiting the table. The restaraunt is excellant, the food is consistantly good and an excellant value in the Early-Flight offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dining experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2014Our dining experience overall was OK, but not quite as good as usual. The service seemed a little rushed, and the food just wasn't quite as good as in past visits. The prime rib was less tender, and the mashed potatoes were dry. We have enjoyed celebrating special occasions there in the past, but our anniversary dinner this time didn't completely live up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an unusual scenic view.PennyVIPDined on 4/2/2014It's an unusual scenic view. It's of Montgomery Field airport. It's fun to watch planes takeoff and land without all the noise. The restaurant is decorated inside and out to look like a WWI French farm house. It's lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to returning soontime4sunsetDined on 3/31/2014Great food, service and ambiance. Menu offers a variety of appetizers , salads and entrees at reasonable prices. Our group of 7 adults had nothing but positive comments about the food and the charming atmosphere. We ordered from the Early Flight menu that is available from 4 pm - 6 pm. It included Soup or salad, coffee or tea and a dessert. Four of us ordered prime rib, and the others had steak, fish or chicken. . All were very pleased with everything ordered.. Great margaritas, too! We appreciated the attentive but not overbearing service. Another plus--the noise level was low and we could easily converse during dinner. We plan to return soon. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Service againRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 3/29/2014Always have a great meal at the Aero. Tonight was perfect in all respects. The early flight menu is still a great value.Special Features:
- Lots of fun!vivnessDined on 3/27/2014Great for airplane fans, we could even listen to real time flight recordings. We had a great time with terrific food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We, again, enjoyed a deliciousdiningouterDined on 3/23/2014We, again, enjoyed a delicious brunch at 94th. The selection of items is endless and they are alwys watchful, keeping the buffet stocked! Everything is fresh and beautifully displayed. The wait staff is attentive and the champagne flows. Your glass is never empty! Top the food and service with the interesting outside decor and the view of the airport and it's a great experience. Lots of parking and an early brunch deal that can't be beat in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchsdnativeDined on 3/23/2014Although we've been to 94th Aero Squadron in the past for lunch, we were pleasantly surprised that they serve brunch on Sundays. It was a perfect locale for gathering our family who live in every corner of the county and their food selection included something for everyone - even the kids were happy both with the food and the opportunity to walk around outside. Although it worked well for our purposes, be aware that it is really crowded, busy, and noisy for brunch (we were there around noon). Great for families, but not so great if you are looking for a quiet, more relaxed place to enjoy your weekend morning. That being said, we'll be back. You can't beat a nicer restaurant that offers a full brunch buffet at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for relaxingSusan1484VIPDined on 3/18/2014Always enjoy a meal here because of its unique setting; across from the air field with a great ambience from a World War I French Farmhouse. To make it even more realistic, try the French onion soup as you gaze out at the planes landing and taking off and listen to the tower on headphones as they direct the air traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Sunday BrunchwannabfoodieDined on 3/16/2014The champagne brunch buffet here is one of the best in San Diego that I've been to. I'm talking really great price for quality food, I would definitely come back. Also, it's a super cute place, my friend and I had a lot of fun taking pictures outdoors and around the restaurant after our meals. Totally recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014The chairs wobbled and it seemed like they needed to tighten screws or get new chairs. From our window view there were umbrellas placed over the outside tables which were in the way of Montgomery field. I wanted to see some planes land or take off. All of the staff were very accommodating and friendly. The salmon was the best we ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningBrunchingDined on 3/9/2014Great WWI memorabilia, fun watching the small planes and helicopters taking off and landing, great service, great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rotten place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014we were met at the door by a person named Vince. he told us not to make reservations and refused to seat us. he then moved on to the next victim. we seated ourselves and waited in line for the buffet for 15 minutes to arrive at empty food containers. Vince refused to acknowledge that we had a complaint at all. we will not be returning to this place with the HORRIBLE little man named Vince. the only good part was the bartender named Andrea. she apologized continually for the rudeness of Vince and did everything she could to make our short visit a little better. if i can make a suggestion, do not ever go to this place!!!!! i can not recommend this restaurant for anything except an expensive bad time!!!
- Jessica was our server andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Jessica was our server and we were there for our anniversary and a birthday and we wanted to enjoy our dinning experience and she did not push us to get the dinner over with and on to the next table.Special Features:
- Great place for a nice dinnerhowelnDined on 3/8/2014We have been coming to place for years and is a great place for a really good relaxing meal where you can enjoy the company you are with. It is a true sitdown restaurant, where you can take the time to enjoy your meal without one course coming before your previous course isn't done. i.e. your main meal will not come while you are only half way through your soup. The focus is provide you a great experience and great food. Note, occasionally, the service can be a bit out of wack when they have the servers spread out.Special Features:
- 94th Aero SquadronCarolDined on 3/7/2014The relics are extremely interesting, a taste of the war years with all the memorabilia on hand. The detail that is used to preserve the photographs and other authentic items allows one to get a feel for that era. The dining/patio area overlook the landing strip at Montgomery Airport which adds additional charm to the restaurant. The servers are anxious to make the visit just about as good as it gets.Special Features:
- Good food (not great), decent pricecobracatDined on 3/4/2014Overall, an enjoyable evening. My pork chop was overcooked/dry, as were the vegetables, but the others in my party enjoyed their meals (shrimp) very much. Service was attentive, at times overly-attentive; our waiter frequently interrupted our conversation just to chat. Still…I'll go back. It's convenient, with plenty of free parking, and the menu is broad enough and affordable.Special Features: