Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: 2125792300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email@example.com for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (128)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (72)great for outdoor dining (67)great for brunch (53)great for lunch (48)good for groups (44)romantic (32)notable wine list (27)kid-friendly (24)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)Show More
- Very well prepared and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2009Very well prepared and delicious food. Good desserts. Sidewalk tables a plus. Service was pleasant but slow, and wine service was below average.Special Features:
- We had a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2009We had a great dining experience at Ocean Grill. The service & food was excellent. We are never afraid to order fish here.
- Outside dining was most enjoyable.borntoeatDined on 5/23/2009Outside dining was most enjoyable. Service was very good. Food preparation was mediocre. Seafood salad was lackluster. Rhubarb berry crisp was heavy duty on the crisp and low on the fruit. Dessert was too heavy-Special Features:
- Recent new GM, Ricardo, hasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/22/2009Recent new GM, Ricardo, has upgraded this old favorite to a foodie favorite. He and his top brass understands client relations. No need to decide on Sushi or Continental. Ocean Grill can compete with the NYC sushi restaurants. The pre-fixed menus are delicious and economically appropriate. After meeting Ricardo, my husband and I can't remember ever seeing the other GMs in the restaurant before Ricardo.Special Features:
- I am a repeat customer. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/21/2009I am a repeat customer. My evening on May 21st was outstanding. Cold Veuve Cliquot and a tremendously fresh shellfish stack were a great start. Excellent dinners (soft shells prepared perfectly and scallops and bass that were fresh and cooked just right) and the desserts were delicious. We received a complimentary chocolate fondue which was fun. The staff was supremely friendly and attentive and each course was served promptly and with a smile.
- Unfortunately the serviceTomcatVIPDined on 5/20/2009Unfortunately the service was very poor. It took us almost 30 min (!) to get the water, our oyster order was lost, so it took another 15 min to have them served. The waitress repeatedly apologized for all the delays and mishapps; the service was obviously overwhelmed by the customer volume, unfortunately this made the dining experience a poor one. The food was great though.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful after-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2009We had a wonderful after-theater dinner. Sitting outside opposite the Museum of Natural History was delightful. The food was delicious and the staff attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Another B-R Guest gem! AsCather123VIPDined on 5/19/2009Another B-R Guest gem! As a big fan of Primehouse NY, but not so crazy about Dos Caminos and Blue Water Grill, I was not sure how I would find the Ocean Grill. I was really happy with the whole experience and will return soon. And I was particularly delighted because it was my mom's 90th birthday lunch, and they treated her like a queen.Special Features:
- It's great to still have aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2009It's great to still have a romantic restaurant in the neighborhood that stands out. Great location and would have enjoyed eating out if it was a bit warmer. Food was very good - portion size was not overwhelming. The wait staff was turning over @ the time of our dinner so that was the only negative part of the dinner. Would definitely come back for a family affair.Special Features:
- I enjoyed Ocean Grill veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2009I enjoyed Ocean Grill very much. The spicy crunchy shrimp sandwich was amazing! I will definitely go back to Ocean Grill!Special Features:
- Fantastic brunch. Had theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2009Fantastic brunch. Had the crabcake benedict; the home fries came out a little burnt, but the whole meal was very tasty. Brunch came with coffee/tea + juice/bellini/mimosa, etc. Would definitely go again for brunch.Special Features:
- Went there for my birthday.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2009Went there for my birthday. The food was fabulous and the service great. I had a wonderful birthday.
- My family has been to OceanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2009My family has been to Ocean Grill four times since early April. We're almost reluctant to try another restaurant on the UWS. Among the best raw bars and seafood entrees in New York. Wine list offers very good choices under $60.00. The deserts, fantastic, all of them. The wait staff get's it done just right everytime. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Food was great and well price.AnitaVIPDined on 5/12/2009Food was great and well price. Didn't enjoy the sushi, but everything else was delicious. Service was good and professional. Everyone was very gracious.Special Features:
- The seafood was excellentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2009The seafood was excellently prepared and nothing left on the plate. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- It was very crowded and chilly,SWABBYDined on 5/10/2009It was very crowded and chilly, however, the mgr. made up for the shortcomings. Would definitely return on a not so busy day.Special Features:
- This is our Favorite RestaurantCindyVIPDined on 5/10/2009This is our Favorite Restaurant in NYC.Love the decor nice & relaxing Fantastic wines The food is always cooked to perfection I love their Tuna And their home made dessert's The service just doesn't get any better from the host Ricardo to our favorite waiter John They truly make you feel at homeSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/9/2009The food was excellent, but the waitress was absolutely horrible. I would expect more for this type of establishment. When we told the manager, he told the waitress while we were still there which made it even more uncomfortable as she came to the table and said something. Manager should have bought us dessert b/c of this, especially when he knew it was our anniversary.Special Features:
- we sat outside. I had beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2009we sat outside. I had been inside previously and enjoyed a lot more.Special Features:
- The place was so dark I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2009The place was so dark I had to get a flashlight to read the menu. I will never go there again despite the great food.
- As I live in the UK, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2009As I live in the UK, this is only the third time I have visited this restaurant. That said I always try to get up there when on vacation in New York. I have always found the fish to be excellent. This is complemented by comprehensive (but not overlong) wine list that includes both new and old world quality at prices to suit all pockets. Service was very good too. My wife and I had a great evening. All the more important for me, as I only arrived that afternoon. Though our table was booked for 8 p.m., my body clock was at 1 a.m. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:
- To celebrate the birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2009To celebrate the birthday of a special friend, I wanted to dine at a restaurant that offered excellent food in a lively yet non-frenetic environment, and where the decible level easily enabled normal conversation across the table. I found it all at the Ocean Grill on the night! Moreover, the service was helpful, knowledgeable, crisp and timely and I didn't have to mimic a Bermudian traffic officer to get the staff's attention. I chose scollops from among the four specials offered and found it prepared to perfection in a sauce that was exquisite both in flavor and texture. I didn't get away without some injury although it was self inflicted. I decided to break my diet and have the cheesecake dessert. It was worth it!Special Features:
- I hadn't been to Ocean GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2009I hadn't been to Ocean Grill in over a year; and I had forgotten what a wonderful dining experience it is at this restaurant. We shared a tuna/salmon tartare that was wonderful. Then I had the tuna...It was pure perfection! OUr dinner was completed with an incredible chocolate dessert. Just a fabulous evening. And the piece de resistance was a little goody bag with an homemade pastry that made a wonderful breakfast treat. Ocean Grill is tops on my list!Special Features:
- We came 15 minutes earlierOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2009We came 15 minutes earlier than our reservation but we were seated within minutes -- that was good. However, the service needs to be more "on the ball". For example, we ordered raw oysters and when they came, they were just plopped down with no explanation of which was which. Additionally, we ordered lobsters -- no finger bowl, extra napkin or bib was offered (this should be standard especially since it IS a seafood restaurant)
- This is a very enjoyable restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/1/2009This is a very enjoyable restaurant when you want seafood. They have a good selection among the raw bar, and their menu is varied and interesting. We tend to go on more special occasions, because we really rack up a big bill when we go. It could be enjoyed on a cheaper budget, but we enjoy everything their too much and become gluttonous. The wait staff is very well trained and knowledgeable. BR Guest does a good job in that regard. My great complaint is that it is too noisy. It is very bothersome to me.Special Features:
- The food to value ratio isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/1/2009The food to value ratio is not very good. Unfortunately, this is one of the few B.R. Guest misses
- Just adore the seafood cobbOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/27/2009Just adore the seafood cobb salad - even though it wasn't on the prix fixe menu, which is a REAL bargain.Special Features:
- delic-e-so!!! The food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2009delic-e-so!!! The food was wonderful and the weather was perfect for outside dining. Always a favorite. I prefer outside or eating in the bar room. I do not care for the restaurant ambience.Special Features:
- This restaurant was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2009This restaurant was great! The waitress was so sweet and very knowledgeable of the menu! The food was excellent and I would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- We enjoyed our last eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2009We enjoyed our last evening in NYC with dinner at Ocean Grill. Plenty of choices for our 2 kids, delicious appys, entrees and wine for my husband and me. The shrimp dumplings were nicely prepared and flavorful, and the oven-roasted Chilean Sea Bass was delicious. My husband raved about the rich lobster bisque. Molten chocolate was the perfect ending. Service was abundant and attentive. We came on Earth Day, and came home to Massachusetts with some wildflower cards to plant; a nice touch, as a favor of sorts.Special Features:
- Everything about the restaurantemmaVIPDined on 4/19/2009Everything about the restaurant is great but it was very noisy. I could hardly hear my friends.Special Features:
- went for brunch, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2009went for brunch, excellent value and very good food, they didnt rush us even though it was very crowdedSpecial Features:
- 4 of us had brunch at OceanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/20094 of us had brunch at Ocean Grill on Sunday and except for the noise-it was very busy- it was great. The food was excellent, the prices very reasonable and the service was very good. Bruch for 4 with drinks, entree and cofee was $85. For NYC that's a bargain.Special Features:
- Ocean Grill never disappoints.fit2eatVIPDined on 4/18/2009Ocean Grill never disappoints. The food, especially the seafood, is always good.Special Features:
- The dinner was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2009The dinner was wonderful. I had the scottish salmon w/bok choi and my wife had the seared tuna w/brussels sprouts - the tuna was better IMHO but both were good. Tim S. was an outstanding attentive waiter. We will come again. Thanks.Special Features:
- While the meals my companionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/17/2009While the meals my companions and I had were very well prepared and served, I would not return as it was difficult to make conversation with the thump, thump, thump of the 'music' emanating from too many speakers, eight by my count. Rather than turn the volume down, the manager suggested we should speak louder! One does not expect a cathedral-like quiet in any restaurant, but one-size-fits-all music to which no one is really listening is an abomination.
- This was our fifth visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/15/2009This was our fifth visit to Ocean Grill. We come into town from New Haven, CT and love to lunch there. This time we were joined by friends visiting from England. We chose the restaurant because we were sure it would be a good experience for them too and it was!Special Features:
- First time at the Ocean Grill,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/14/2009First time at the Ocean Grill, based on recommendations from OpenTable Diners. We found the seafood menu diverse but selective,local and international; and the preparation careful, simple, hearty and catch-of-the day fresh in the best Mediterranean and American shore traditions. Presentations were beautiful with contrasts in color and texture. My companion declared the plateau of cherry stone clams perfect. We both found the dorade delicately grilled and generously portioned. The quality/price ratio cannot be beat, especially in a stylish ship-meets-grill ambiance that is architecturally sweeping, yet intimate and amazingly quiet for private conversation.Special Features:
- This was at least my 7th orbfracDined on 4/11/2009This was at least my 7th or 8th time dining at the Ocean Grill. The food and service are excellent and I will continue to come back when in NY. I have dined with friends, with my husband, and alone and it has always been excellent, whatever the occasion.Special Features:
- Very good food and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/7/2009Very good food and excellent service, nice decor and atmopshere. The Hazelnut Banana Mousse on the dessert menu turns out to be a trio that was excellent. Also important in New York was the ease of obtaining a cab outside.Special Features: