Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: 2125792300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (136)fit for foodies (84)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (73)great for brunch (57)good for groups (53)great for lunch (51)romantic (38)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (8)Show More
- Always good food!MargeVIPDined on 6/9/2014Always good food and service, but if you don't want a very noisy place, sit in the photo room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar lunchAndyBDined on 6/9/2014Food is consistent and always top quality Price fixe lunch was a great bargain! Service was slow at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 6/9/2014Ocean Grill continues to serve good food with good service.Special Features:
- Food consistentkokiddVIPDined on 6/7/2014Been here a number of times and the food is always consistent. Service was okay, very nice waitress but she seemed a little overwhelmed. Food came out very fast, almost too fast but was very good. Great sushi. Complimentary dessert for my wife's birthday, a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewbypapDined on 6/7/2014The table service was a bit off but the overall experience was positive. This was my second time dining here and I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!DanCVIPDined on 6/4/2014Fantastic, cold, perfect 3 different Eastern oysters. Great meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/3/2014It was a wonderful atmosphere, a local gem, the food was amazing, and the service was great, we were visiting New York, but came to the restaurant on a recommendation from a client that lived there, so glad we did!Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodJanDVIPDined on 6/1/2014As usual, their food was fresh and well-seasoned. Its a bit noisy and crowded, even early on a Sunday evening (5:30) so try to go @ off hours. Its well-located near the Museum of Natural History.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014Great experience over all. The staff was increidbly accomodating and freindly. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- great food, crowded, noisyeastonthewestsideVIPDined on 5/29/2014Been there before many times but not in recent years. The food is still eceptional, the service polite and attentitive, but even in the quieter room (walled with photographs) it is difficult to hear one' companion. Best to go on a quiet afternoon or late evening, for a chance of a less frenetic meal and conversation that a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Sushi oasisPaladin57Dined on 5/28/2014Recently I had a business lunch at Ocean Grill. I've been here many times but never really experienced their sushi. After having a fresh and interesting salad, My colleague and I feasted on their sushi. Not only was it fresh it was truly exceptional . Our server was instrumental in helping us choose rolls that were out of the mainstream yet very tasty. She was also extremely professional and polite. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood, High Noise LevelBobbieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Seafood as always great; service is excellent ( the waitress and maitre d' couldn't have been nicer.) HOwever, the noise level in the front room was unbearable. There were one or two large tables; there were no rugs to deaden the sound . It was crowded & my dining companion and I were almost yelling to be heard for the majority of the meal. We finally sloe to the maitre d' and he was kind enough to give us a table in the other room where we just chilled out. What a relief.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EaterDined on 5/26/2014We celebrated an anniversary and law school graduation andhad a very good dinner. The sushi, in particular, was delicious and creative, and the fish generally was very good. The molten chocolate cake was yummy. Amazingly, knowing about our celebrations, the restaurant started the meal with a complimentary bottle of champagne - which made the entire evening very special. It was done with a very gracious and elegant touch and we loved it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/24/2014Special kudos to our server Jovette for contibuting to an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 1675 reviews are from the Ocean Grill New York reviews archive.
- Good Food and Friendly ServiceOddball2Dined on 5/22/2014Went to Ocean Grill with a colleagues or lunch on a weekend. I ordered the Prix Fixe. The food was excellent although I would have liked to have seen an additional choice of entrée and desert on the Prix Fixe menu. The price was very reasonable and includes coffee or tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeniordinerSeniordinerDined on 5/21/2014We took fussy friends from out-of-town here for dinner. They were over-the-moon about how good the food was. The price/value is outstanding as well. We'll all be back.Special Features:
- What happened to the swordfish ?sunkieDined on 5/18/2014I was rather disappointed in not seeing the blackened swordfish on the menu. It was a favorite of mine. The menu and chef have changed and not for the better. Sadly, the sea bass was bland and I was not thrilled with the entree choices. We have been coming here for a long time and we were always quite satisfied. I must also comment about the fumes from the grill coming out of the kitchen. The air was very strong and had that smokey smell.I t was almost burning my eyes. I t went throughout the restaurant but worse in the back where we were sitting. Unfortunately I was not thrilled with the dining experience and we'll need to look elsewhere for seafood now. Bring back the old chef !Special Features:
- Last minute change of plansOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014We were able to get a quick reservation at Ocean after our other plans changed. We were not disappointed! The maki rolls were terrific and the lobster bisque. The service was a bit brusque, but professional nonetheless. I would return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- WesterfishRonchefdocVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is a very good west side cousin to Atlantic Grill. Very fresh fish and great rolls. Service can be a bit rushed.Special Features:
- Wine washoutchompsRusVIPDined on 5/17/2014First two bottles of wine selected (California Chardonnay, then French white Burgandy) were unavailable. Finally just went with a half bottle of pinot, having missed the appetizer entirely. The pinot was fully room temperature - disappointing.
- Child friendly but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Glad to know that the restaurant has understood that some people do not wish to dine in the presence of cranky children! Although we all love our children, I am amazed at how many restaurants now have young children, even babies, accompanying their parents. What ever happened to an adults only venue? I guess New York is now so filled with young parents, dining out has become a family affair even with infants. SO, if that is the case, at least it is good practice to have a seating area where some who wish to have a more peaceful and quiet dinner/lunch/brunch can do so. I requested that in my reservation and we were spared some very active children in the next room.Special Features:
- Just as good as its sisterMikeVIPDined on 5/16/2014A few years ago my wife and I dined at the Blue Water Grill in New York City for the second time and had a second excellent dinner. So when I noticed the Ocean Grill was owned by the same tiny chain I assumed the experience would be just as good. We weren't disappointed. The salmon and bass were both tender and flavorful and the sauces were just right. The dinner rolls were to die for. Our waiter was very pleasant and helpful and efficient. I'd go back. And I'd recommend trying both restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food-Yes: Service NoElliottDined on 5/13/2014The food was very good as expected but the service was not. The server was asked for drinks, and bread and the wait was long for both. Unacceptable!Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantJenniferDined on 5/11/2014I have been to this restaurant several times, and each time I have enjoyed it. Delicious food, nice atmosphere & good service. Just went here for Mother's Day with my family and was very happy with everything. If you like seafood - this is the place for you.Special Features:
- An old favoritemelaminDined on 5/11/2014My family and i have enjoyed ocean grill for some15years and it seemed the perfect place for a mothers day brunch with my daughter who was visiting nyc. It was as good as remembered and we both enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slight declineFrankVIPDined on 5/9/2014wine list, oysters, fish selection seems to be going down. FH
- Consistently goodUWSrDined on 5/8/2014I have been coming to Ocean Grill for years. Whenever anyone is in from out of town, it is my go to. The oysters are the best on the UWS. The food is always consistently delicious and fresh. The ambience is welcoming and warm.Special Features:
- Ms. RichardsonSeafoodFoodiesDined on 5/2/2014The food was amazing! I personally recommend the Chilean Sea Bass Roll, and the Broiled Lobster. To drink the La Flacarita or Riesling Wine and lastly the vanilla bean crème brulee for dessert.Special Features:
- Not great, but certainly goodV8VCGDined on 4/30/2014We were nicely looked after, and the food was good to good+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and creativelandlockedseafoodloverDined on 4/30/2014The food is cooked to perfection, the service is attentive and not intrusive, the menu offerings are just extensive enough without being overwhelming. Some of the best sushi anywhere. With early reservations, you can make it to 8 PM theatre, no problem. Ocean Grill is our go-to place on the Upper West Side. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- THERE'S A FIRST-TIME FOR EVERYTHINGMICKEYMICHAELSDined on 4/28/2014YIKES! This time Everything was off. Service VERY SLOW; ONE WAITER for the entire SIDEWALK tables. Bread was neither plentiful nor varied; prix fixe lunch (the prix fixe menu is no longer on-line) did not have fish. The appetizers were a cold soup and leafy salad with unappetizing pear slices. We ordered grilled shrimp for entrees, served on a bed of rice--both tepid in temp. not hot. Were there veggies? If so, they were skimpy and also tepid. No sugar/cream on the table for tea/coffee; long wait for everything. Desserts best part--but the apple pastry also arrived cold rather than hot. We got the feeling there's been an unannounced change in management and staff and maybe chef, too. WTF? Overall, very disappointing dining experience.Special Features:
- April suppernorthrngrlDined on 4/27/2014The reviews had been good, so decided to give it a try. I had the cod and my husband had the salmon. Both were cooked to perfection but mine was not really hot enough. I like my fish "just" cooked, still moist but needs to be hot (fresh from the oven). It tasted good and my husband enjoyed his salmon. I would recommend this resto even though I was slightly disappointed with my fish. The recipes were imaginative and well prepared. Good service. Nice ambiance. Near our hotel so convenient location for us.Special Features:
- Great Service Food and ViewMickeyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Lunch or brunch on a beautiful day is great outdoors here. Reasonable and diverse menu, great service and view of the park across the street. I stop here at least twice a year when I visit from Philadelphia. Seafood is delicious !Special Features:
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014We had a very good experience for dinner. The simply grilled shrimp and scallops were very good as were the sides of lightly sautéed vegetables. The service was attentive and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not very goodJulowDined on 4/24/2014I come from a family of NYC foodies which doesn't guarantee a good meal but Ocean Grill was well recommended; this was my second visit in 12 months. I found the best service was offered when we were seated. At any other time we had to seek out the waiter ourselves. The oysters were excellent, the Sea Bas was not known whether it was line caught or not. Finally we got a determination that the consensus (amongst the waitstaff) was "line caught" but it didn't taste that way and there is more to a vinaigrette than a splash of vinegar which permeated the sea bass as it would a sponge. The other diners were surprised at the lack of attention to their orders and two were brought the wrong entrees. The desserts were quite good.Special Features:
- Brunch is the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant has the best value by far in the city for Sunday Brunch. The drinks are great (not watered down) and the entrees are tasty. Can be a bit noisy and crowded but well worth it. Eggs benedict, crab blt and smoked salmon with a bagel are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunch outingphishermanVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our family enjoyed our brunch with a variety of meals ranging from grav lax to baked eggs. We like the ambience of this restaurant for our small group - 5 and we absolutely love their sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014I was hoping that Ocean Grill would be as good as it sounded and it was. It's a beautiful restaurant and the food was amazing! Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014This restaurant is a wonderful restaurant to visit for a special occasion. The food is outstanding and the service prompt and professional. We took our daughter for a birthday celebration and it did not disappoint. It was a little on the noisy side but I would rather sit in a restaurant full of happy talkative customers than in a quiet empty place. My thanks to all the staff.Special Features:
- Ocean grillSirocVIPDined on 4/11/20142nd time dining here! Enjoyed it and plan to go back! Fish fresh, excellent serviceSpecial Features: