Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: 2125792300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (135)fit for foodies (83)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (73)great for brunch (56)good for groups (52)great for lunch (51)romantic (38)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (8)Show More
- Such a great experience!LoLoDined on 8/1/2014From the food to the wine, and the service, our girls' night out experience was amazing. We were all first-time diners and came for the Restaurant Week menu, but we would all gladly return anytime of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Food was good and service was great ... But the tables were too close together and the noise level too high to want to return.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiswivyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Fresh fish, the sushi is wonderful. Attentive and friendly service. Pleasantly quiet at lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FavMarisaBDined on 7/29/2014I did a restaurant week pick to Ocean Grill and it was the best decision. The seafood options were on point along with the wine selection. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very pleasant dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2014The fish was really excellent. Other things, like bread, salad, beverages were all good. The service was prompt without getting in the way. Another good thing is the space between tables is sufficient to allow a semi-private conversation.Special Features:
- Skate was spoiledGreg98Dined on 7/28/2014Raw tower was excellent, gf's skate a special for restaurant week was not edible, it tasted of ammonia which is a sure sign of old fish. Up side is they did not charge us for her "meal"Special Features:
- Ensure They Understand GF PrepGlutenFreeDinersDined on 7/26/2014The food was well prepared with fresh ingredients. The kale caesar salad was flavorful and not overly dressed- I personally would have preferred more anchovy. The California and Spider rolls were pleasant; however, my wife who requires a gluten-free accommodation, did not get rice with her raw bar sampling nor did she get feta cheese with her watermelon and cucumber salad. She did request the feta again and it was provided without a problem. Although the food was good and well prepared, it would seem that the staff should be better trained on special diets related to medical conditions. I would imagine requests for such accommodations are not uncommon on the Upper West Side of NYC. Service was otherwise friendly and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice and steady for meeting friendsLFPAVIPDined on 7/25/2014Except for the size of the check $150 for 2 persons with one glass of wine and a shared desert, it was a pleasant experience....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood.robcurtrossDined on 7/24/2014The seafood tower for two was perfectly adequate with a small starter salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunchjdnycVIPDined on 7/23/2014Had lunch there during restaurant week. RW menu was rather succinct, but adequate and we had no issue making our picks. There were no misses in the food. Salmon was fresh and perfectly cooked, the grilled shrimp plump, plentiful, and nicely charred with no trace of dryness, and both desserts (choice of 2...) quite tasty. Service was both attentive and laid back, and we lingered a bit over coffee to finish off a leisurely lunch on a hot summer day.Special Features:
- sea foodcocotteDined on 7/22/2014Very good sea shells tower to share. Excellent ceviche. Good wine. Good atmosphere. Nice place were your dad is taking you for your birthdaySpecial Features:
- Food good but,markDined on 7/22/2014Staff is great, always a warm and friendly atmosphere. The food is good but has become a little too "cookie cutter" (to use a food related term). Kitchen needs a little excitement boost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium mediumLouiseDined on 7/20/2014Really excellent service, very Ho-hum food. My ravioli were good, but drowned in a thick, sugary sauce. The best thing we ate were the French fries! My friend ordered salmon well done--it came slimy and undercooked. The waitress was great about it. Offered to make a new piece of fish. After a very long wait, the plate came back with the old piece of fish, now over cooked. Probably they just stuck it back into a microwave! For a place specialized in fish, you would expect much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The staff and manager were kind and accommodating, but I was disappointed in my food. The chicken in the grilled chicken salad wasn't cooked well enough and there was a visible piece of fat on the chicken, which I didn't like. Also they need more than 1 waiter for the outside tables. This was Sunday brunch and it was full.Special Features:
- lovegoodfoodDined on 7/17/2014considerate service, food delicious, not too loud to prevent conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUB-PARFIFIDined on 7/13/2014This is on my regular brunch short-list but this experience was sub-par. The waitstaff are always stellar but our waiter was barely audible to the point that when he approached the table no-one realized he had spoken and rather than repeating the question he just stood there staring at us, which was awkward. He mentioned he usually works night-shift and it showed. I ordered Eggs Benedict- the ham was stone cold and the fries were lukewarm. We sent it back and the replacement was much better. The waiter didn't apologize and seemed generally irritated. He gave us the wrong bill and when we go the right one they comped us some drinks and gave us a discount, which I appreciate but overall this was not my best experience at Ocean Grill.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!NYCfoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere, food and service. If you love seafood and sushi, you'll love this place. Highly recommend the spring roll, yellowtail sushi roll and ravioli appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2014As usual the food was simply delicious! And we could actually converse with our friends without shouting... A rarity at a lot ofNYC restaurants! But I must say the service was not up to the usual standards. Our waiter had too many tables to serve. Maybe they're cutting back on staff? And the fellow who served appetizers which in our case was sushi either couldn't find chopsticks and soy sauce or was too hassled to bring them in a timely manner so we all sat there staring at our beautiful plates with our tongues hanging out! When he finally did bring them he kind of threw them at us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointuingBobFDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten here many times before. The food was good but the menu changes were disappointing. Other then in sushi, they removed tuna from the menu. They removed my favorite, Sesame Crusted Tuna, and they also removed tuna from the Simply Grilled menu. Since the only fish I eat is tuna and swordfish (which they don't offer), I ended up eating veal which was good but not why I would go to a seafood restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Very attractive place for lunch. Good food and service.Special Features:
- On the AvenueJohnnCDined on 7/1/2014Columbus Avenue has become a foodie magnet near the Museum of Natural History. In that sense my wife, her business partner and I had a wonderful dinner. It is someplace we will go again. We ate indoors, though there is al fresco dining. Staff was friendly and knowledgable. Portions were generous.Special Features:
- SolidUWSerDined on 6/30/2014Just another solid experience...as usual, shellfish was perfectly chilled and obviously fresh, timely and courteous service throughout, as reliable as a fine restaurant can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster out of the shell is kingFoodwomanVIPDined on 6/29/2014It is summer. I wanted simple - steamed lobster with butter. I feared the mess but was ready to suck it in. Ocean Grill accommodated. 2 of us shared a 3 pound lobster, which our server offered to de-shell. Yes, I said..and divine it was. Shrimps cocktail, passable salad, but oh that lobster, in that warm butter. My go to place for this meal whenever the spirit moves me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great quality food and excellent ambience. The appetizers were a bit expensive vis a vis the size of the portions.Special Features:
- Jim BJimBDined on 6/28/2014We have been to the Ocean Grill on several occasions and have always enjoyed the experience. After visiting the New York Histiorical Society, our party of four wanted an early lunch. We were all pleased with the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2014Perfectly prepared tuna. Great desserts. But of all, exceptional service.Special Features:
- Food lover 99OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Food and service were great. Everyone is friendly, pleasant, and helpful. The only minus is the noise level and as a group of five I wish we would have had a larger table. We felt quite crowded and that detracted from the overall enjoyment of the experience. The large room (I call it the photo room) would have been preferable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no longer my go to placethefoodiepatrolVIPDined on 6/20/2014called in advance to order a special dessert we were celebrating two milestones . Made sure it was typed into my reservation on the computer. Our silverwear had dirty rice on it when we sat down. new menu has small plates (at the same prices) that left us hungry. No special dessert served. I checked with the hostess on the way out it was right there on the computer for anyone who looked. When your fav place no longer has outstanding service or food it's time to spend your hard earned money elsewhere. :(Special Features:
- PerfectJayGVIPDined on 6/18/2014Have not been there quite awhile and so happy we returned. Good and service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceBernVIPDined on 6/17/2014Very elegant. pretty restaurant with outside seating - perfect for a special occasion. Attentive service. lobster and shrimp rolls were exceptional.Special Features:
- Seafood delightBertVIPDined on 6/16/2014The menu changed since our last visit but the sushi, sashimi , and fish selections were plentiful and varied. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersDanCVIPDined on 6/15/2014The most consistently excellent oyster experience on the planet.
- Not the sameLovebugDined on 6/15/2014My family and I have dined at Ocean Grill several times for special occasions and we have usually had a great experience. Was disappointed that there was an half hour wait for our table even though we had reservations through Open Table. Staff apologetic but we had rushed to get there early so that there was no waiting involved. No more parting gift of freshly baked muffins...too bad since that was a nice touch to the dining experience. Menu was different and not sure if this was just for Fathers Day or not. Preferred the previous menu. Dessert was delicious and server was attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not anymore:(mimi10019VIPDined on 6/14/2014I loved Ocean Grill in the past. It was my special occasion place to go. 2 birthdays in a row. But.....a friend and I met this past Sat for a nice meal and were disappointed. Food wasn't as good. Service not as good and sadly ambience not as good. Not sure what changed but not planning to come back. For those prices, I expect more
- Great experience!mark2772VIPDined on 6/14/2014I had the most delightful dining experience at the Ocean Grill. We arrived early for our reservation, so my group of 7 had a drink at the bar. The bartender saw we were in a festive mood and asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. We said yes; it was an important graduation. After we ordered, she provided us a complimentary appetizer. We then had dinner, which was great. The bartender must have told the maitre'd about us because after dinner, he sent a complimentary flute of champagne for each of us and came by the table to express his congratulations. It was a lovely gesture and capped a delightful evening. Good job, Ocean Grill!Special Features:
- DisappointedLDS10Dined on 6/13/2014Been coming here for years....always enjoyed it. Shrunken menu, poor presentation on main course...they didn't just lower the prices, they lowered the quality too... Best thing was the lobster/shrimp appetizer roll...but that is not a dinner. Surprised and disappointed
- Never again.StupotDined on 6/13/2014They have changed the menu since my last visit. Menu difficult to read, choices limited and not appetizing. Waitress was overly attentive to the point of being annoying.
- Second lunch in a weekAndyBDined on 6/12/2014Great seafood and sushi! Service in the dining room was much better than the bar area. Managers were noticeably attentive to customers in the dining areas The foodies quality and consistent for many yearsSpecial Features:
- mbfholdingsDined on 6/10/2014The food was cold, plain and simple. I would not go back, expensive and not worth the price.
- Always good food!MargeVIPDined on 6/9/2014Always good food and service, but if you don't want a very noisy place, sit in the photo room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.