Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: 2125792300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email@example.com for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (128)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (72)great for outdoor dining (66)great for brunch (54)great for lunch (49)good for groups (44)romantic (32)notable wine list (27)kid-friendly (24)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)Show More
- Good Food and Great ServiceJanDVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a lovely birthday celebration this was very much appreciated as we wanted to be able to enjoy the food and have a conversation. Our waiter, Julian, was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold Pan-Seared Salmon, Anyone?MICKEYMICHAELSDined on 8/20/2014Second visit this season after an earlier disastrous lunch experience; two-for-lunch; no improvement. Outside table service very slow; our entrees--pan seared salmon--arrived cold!!!! I had even cautioned the (one) waiter that we wanted the entrees served piping hot, right off the grill. STILL, both our entrees came less than lukewarm, indeed cold. Waiter darted off, MIA. I had to summon the mgr. We waited for freshly made entrees. 2nd try: OK. The dessert did not come as I had ordered mine; the gelato and sorbet combo was tasteless and tiny. The chocolate tart disappointing, with a teensy ice cream scoop. Has this place lost its chef? Under new management??! What? Once always crowded, it was easy to grab an o/s table on a nice summer day.Special Features:
- Wonderful birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2014The staff was very accomodating and remembered our special occation. We don't live in town but this is our third year in a row with Ocean Grill as our destination for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bland dinnerNancyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Dinner at Ocean Grill was pretty predictable. The menu was fairly uninspired and then my husband asked to have his salmon cooked all the way through but that didn't happen so I actually finished my meal way before he even got started. Kind of disappointing. The wait staff did not seem to be on the ball.
- excellentsaraAKDined on 8/16/2014The waiters were nice and hospitable and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- MehSeafoodLvr88Dined on 8/15/2014Made a res here for the last night of restaurant week. They sat a group of 5 at a tiny round table with barely enough room for our plates. We had to ask for bread after being seated for over 30 minutes; the basket they brought had 4 pieces (for 5), so had to request more. Two of us ordered from the rest week menu. I had the gazpacho app & salmon entree; my friend had the tuna roll app & pea ravioli entree & we both got the chocolate tart dessert. Dessert was good, but the rest of our meals were disappointing. The rest of the group ordered from the regular menu & were also disappointed;portions were small for the $ and nothing was great. Service was unattentive; had to ask for wine refills twice.Nice location, but wouldn't eat here again.
- Great DinnerRalphlili4182Dined on 8/12/2014It was a windy rainy night when my fiancee and I arrived to this restaurant. Its Restaurant Week, we were seated by a host and was served our food. Great Restaurant and service. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchVitodnyDined on 8/10/2014Waited for cream and sugar for tea for 5 minutes. They served 3 of 4 entrees together, we waited over 5 minutes before the 4th entree was served.
- Lovely brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014I have been to Ocean Grill many times and this time came for brunch with aunt/cousins....4 women including me. I appreciated that we could talk without screaming to be heard, and I really appreciated that we stayed for a long time without the waiter presenting us with the check or trying to move us along in any way. The brunch rush had died down, so we weren't taking a spot from anyone waiting, but that doesn't stop some places from scooting you out the door. We were left alone with no pressure and it was perfect for our mini reunion. Thanks. Food for brunch was fine, not outstanding, but good. I think I've enjoyed the food at dinner even more. Nice, comfortable decor. A step above most of the neighborhood brunches. All enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great brunch in a great setting in location convenient to terrific sightsSpecial Features:
- Fun night outJessluvs2eatDined on 8/8/2014Brought my sisters here before they head off to college in the fall. The food is delicious! We cleaned off all our plates and had dessert as well. The waitress was very nice and patient especially with my very indecisive little sister. It was a beautiful night and we were able to enjoy sitting outside. My cocktail was a little weak but it was very refreshing nonetheless. I will definitely be coming back with some friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaciVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff was fabulous and very attentive to my guests who are disabled. They are often maginalized and made to feel unwelcome. The staff went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. Thank you very much.Special Features:
- Digging for Scottish SalmonHot2eatDined on 8/8/2014Had the Restaurant Week Scottish Salmon entrée, atop German Potato salad -- and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and flavors of the dish. The dessert -- a yogurt cake, was splendidly presented as well. Outdoor seating in pleasant sunny weather was a bonus to our experience. Recommended. Just make sure you give the waitperson the correct credit card so as to avoid any embarrassment unless you like washing dishes.Special Features:
- Superior all around!joniarcher999Dined on 8/6/2014Welcoming, beautiful restaurant. Exceptional quality food and selection. Skilled wait staff. What else can I say? It's my favorite place for any special occasion, or to make an every day special.Special Features:
- A good place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food. Nice atmosphere. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingdeejDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant was practically empty. No noise problem here, but for the wrong reasons. The food was average at best, the dessert disappointing. All in all a ho-hum experience--except for the service. Our waitress had a real attitude and not a good one.
- Service,Selection, and SavoryBertVIPDined on 8/5/2014It's not the first time that I had the privilege of eating at this wonderful seafood establishment. The waitstaff are extremely accommodating and attentive. The meal is served in a timely manner-not rushed and not too slow. I could order either from the special pre-fixed menu or the ala carte menu that features a sushi selection, specially prepared seafood dishes or just plain grilled fresh fish. If you like fish, like attention to detail, and like good service, then Ocean Grill is just perfect for an evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningToomadDined on 8/2/2014Great evening at Ocean Grill. Simply prepared, very fresh seafood. Good vine selection.
- Such a great experience!LoLoDined on 8/1/2014From the food to the wine, and the service, our girls' night out experience was amazing. We were all first-time diners and came for the Restaurant Week menu, but we would all gladly return anytime of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeggeDined on 7/31/2014Food was good and service was great ... But the tables were too close together and the noise level too high to want to return.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiswivyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Fresh fish, the sushi is wonderful. Attentive and friendly service. Pleasantly quiet at lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FavMarisaBDined on 7/29/2014I did a restaurant week pick to Ocean Grill and it was the best decision. The seafood options were on point along with the wine selection. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very pleasant dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2014The fish was really excellent. Other things, like bread, salad, beverages were all good. The service was prompt without getting in the way. Another good thing is the space between tables is sufficient to allow a semi-private conversation.Special Features:
- Skate was spoiledGreg98Dined on 7/28/2014Raw tower was excellent, gf's skate a special for restaurant week was not edible, it tasted of ammonia which is a sure sign of old fish. Up side is they did not charge us for her "meal"Special Features:
- Ensure They Understand GF PrepGlutenFreeDinersDined on 7/26/2014The food was well prepared with fresh ingredients. The kale caesar salad was flavorful and not overly dressed- I personally would have preferred more anchovy. The California and Spider rolls were pleasant; however, my wife who requires a gluten-free accommodation, did not get rice with her raw bar sampling nor did she get feta cheese with her watermelon and cucumber salad. She did request the feta again and it was provided without a problem. Although the food was good and well prepared, it would seem that the staff should be better trained on special diets related to medical conditions. I would imagine requests for such accommodations are not uncommon on the Upper West Side of NYC. Service was otherwise friendly and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice and steady for meeting friendsLFPAVIPDined on 7/25/2014Except for the size of the check $150 for 2 persons with one glass of wine and a shared desert, it was a pleasant experience....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood.robcurtrossDined on 7/24/2014The seafood tower for two was perfectly adequate with a small starter salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunchjdnycVIPDined on 7/23/2014Had lunch there during restaurant week. RW menu was rather succinct, but adequate and we had no issue making our picks. There were no misses in the food. Salmon was fresh and perfectly cooked, the grilled shrimp plump, plentiful, and nicely charred with no trace of dryness, and both desserts (choice of 2...) quite tasty. Service was both attentive and laid back, and we lingered a bit over coffee to finish off a leisurely lunch on a hot summer day.Special Features:
- sea foodcocotteDined on 7/22/2014Very good sea shells tower to share. Excellent ceviche. Good wine. Good atmosphere. Nice place were your dad is taking you for your birthdaySpecial Features:
- Food good but,markDined on 7/22/2014Staff is great, always a warm and friendly atmosphere. The food is good but has become a little too "cookie cutter" (to use a food related term). Kitchen needs a little excitement boost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium mediumLouiseDined on 7/20/2014Really excellent service, very Ho-hum food. My ravioli were good, but drowned in a thick, sugary sauce. The best thing we ate were the French fries! My friend ordered salmon well done--it came slimy and undercooked. The waitress was great about it. Offered to make a new piece of fish. After a very long wait, the plate came back with the old piece of fish, now over cooked. Probably they just stuck it back into a microwave! For a place specialized in fish, you would expect much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The staff and manager were kind and accommodating, but I was disappointed in my food. The chicken in the grilled chicken salad wasn't cooked well enough and there was a visible piece of fat on the chicken, which I didn't like. Also they need more than 1 waiter for the outside tables. This was Sunday brunch and it was full.Special Features:
- lovegoodfoodDined on 7/17/2014considerate service, food delicious, not too loud to prevent conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUB-PARFIFIDined on 7/13/2014This is on my regular brunch short-list but this experience was sub-par. The waitstaff are always stellar but our waiter was barely audible to the point that when he approached the table no-one realized he had spoken and rather than repeating the question he just stood there staring at us, which was awkward. He mentioned he usually works night-shift and it showed. I ordered Eggs Benedict- the ham was stone cold and the fries were lukewarm. We sent it back and the replacement was much better. The waiter didn't apologize and seemed generally irritated. He gave us the wrong bill and when we go the right one they comped us some drinks and gave us a discount, which I appreciate but overall this was not my best experience at Ocean Grill.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!NYCfoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere, food and service. If you love seafood and sushi, you'll love this place. Highly recommend the spring roll, yellowtail sushi roll and ravioli appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2014As usual the food was simply delicious! And we could actually converse with our friends without shouting... A rarity at a lot ofNYC restaurants! But I must say the service was not up to the usual standards. Our waiter had too many tables to serve. Maybe they're cutting back on staff? And the fellow who served appetizers which in our case was sushi either couldn't find chopsticks and soy sauce or was too hassled to bring them in a timely manner so we all sat there staring at our beautiful plates with our tongues hanging out! When he finally did bring them he kind of threw them at us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointuingBobFDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten here many times before. The food was good but the menu changes were disappointing. Other then in sushi, they removed tuna from the menu. They removed my favorite, Sesame Crusted Tuna, and they also removed tuna from the Simply Grilled menu. Since the only fish I eat is tuna and swordfish (which they don't offer), I ended up eating veal which was good but not why I would go to a seafood restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Very attractive place for lunch. Good food and service.Special Features:
- On the AvenueJohnnCDined on 7/1/2014Columbus Avenue has become a foodie magnet near the Museum of Natural History. In that sense my wife, her business partner and I had a wonderful dinner. It is someplace we will go again. We ate indoors, though there is al fresco dining. Staff was friendly and knowledgable. Portions were generous.Special Features:
- SolidUWSerDined on 6/30/2014Just another solid experience...as usual, shellfish was perfectly chilled and obviously fresh, timely and courteous service throughout, as reliable as a fine restaurant can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.