South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South End Buttery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendbuttery.com/
- Phone: 6174820711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen Rossi, Culinary Director
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater home and office events on weekdays. Check out our web site for our corporate catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss large party reservations. We are a small restaurant, but we will try to accommodate your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Gordon 617-482-1015
- Special Events: Our intimate garden level dining room accommodates 35-40 guests for a private sit-down dinner. Because we are a small restaurant, we require a fixed rate per guest to offer your party our garden level dining space for an entire evening. Rates depend on the day of the week booked and start at $125 per guest for weeknights and $150 per guest for Friday and Saturday nights. Minimum rates will apply. We offer a full bar and customized menus for special events based on our seasonal offerings. We also offer space in our cafe for up to 20 guests for a sit-down dinner. Please call for details.
- Cross Street: Union Park
- Public Transit: Back Bay Orange Line -- 5 minute walk
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Private parking lots are also available one block away at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Waltham Street (next to Gaslight Restaurant) and at 505 Tremont Street, the Calderwood Pavilion.
A word from South End Buttery
South End Buttery is a neighborhood eat-in and take-away bakery/cafe by day and full bar/restaurant by night. The Buttery's award-winning food has a reputation for combining simple and few ingredients to create exceptional everyday food at everyday prices. The Buttery takes casual fine dining to new heights, with classic comfort food as well as dishes for the health and calorie conscious that pair beautifully with the affordable wine and beer selections. You'll feel like you're dining in your own home – but you won’t have to do the dishes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
South End Buttery - Best Restaurants in South End ›
South End Buttery reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)great for brunch (67)romantic (33)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (18)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The food was absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/21/2009The food was absolutely delicious and wonderfully prepared and plated (crispy parmesan french fries with 3 tasty dipping sauces; out-of-this world mussels in a saffron/tomato/wine broth; superb salad with matchstick apples, slivered almonds, golden raisins, and shaved parmesan combined with mesclun and arugula; buttery cream of mushroom soup; mouth watering pan-seared sea bass with israeli cous cous, grilled asparagus, and roasted tomato puree; melt-in-your mouth braised shortribs over a sweet parnsnip puree; and rich hazelnut semifredo topped with fresh whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel, candied hazlenuts, and a buttery shortbread cookie). The service was impeccable. Top notch dining!Special Features:
- We all enjoyed our food andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2009We all enjoyed our food and the service was good. The bar upstairs was small but cute. The dining room downstairs was nice. The only issue we had was the wine list. The wine was very expensive for what was offered.Special Features:
- We were seated at one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/18/2009We were seated at one of the high top tables in the upstairs section. It was very crowded and uncomfortable. We basically heard every conversation around us. Crowd was a bit nobby. So was the scene.
- If you've ever wondered whatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2009If you've ever wondered what a Hanger steak is, stop wondering and run to The Buttery and order one !! The outside is perfectly seared black but not burned, and the medium-rare inside was a pleasure to experience. This "not usually ordered" cut of meat is notorius for being difficult to cook well and not turn into a piece of rubber, but this plate was superb. If you prefer a quiet meal, get there early as the noise level will increase (a lot) by 7, and the place will be jumpingSpecial Features:
- It was a tasty place, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2009It was a tasty place, but the chicken was a little on the Shake & Bake side. The fish got mixed reviews from the people in my group. The french fries are out of this world. They also make a generous drink. A little cramped for groups larger than 4 and the low ceilings in the dining area doesn't leave anywhere for the noise to go.Special Features:
- A very pleasant suprise! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2009A very pleasant suprise! Very good food and service. The exposed stone foundation and fireplace added a nice touch!Special Features:
- Good food, but the serviceLovetoEatVIPDined on 4/11/2009Good food, but the service was lacking. Our waitress seemed completely disinterested and was hard to find at times. The temperature was also incredibly high.
- The Buttery Bistro was everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2009The Buttery Bistro was everything I expected it to be ... and more! I took my Mom there who was visiting from out of town. My Mom has a gluten allergy and the staff and chef were completely accommodating. Plus, the food and service were fabulous. I'll definitely be going back. I would suggest The Buttery as a place to take friends, a date or your significant other for great food with elegance.Special Features:
- On a busy night the tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/8/2009On a busy night the tables maybe a little too tight for comfort. On the weeknight we tried the Buttery, there was plenty of room between patrons and the experience was excellent.Special Features:
- The food was good, the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2009The food was good, the wine (two different ones) was pretty good, and the price was reasonable. I can only recommend it.
- Great food at SUCH a reasonableGKH910VIPDined on 4/4/2009Great food at SUCH a reasonable price. I would 100% go back.Special Features:
- The South End Buttery is aOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/4/2009The South End Buttery is a restaurant I would gladly return to. The host and our server were attentive and responsive to special dietary requests. Every dish, without exception, was prepared skillfully and with fresh, delectably seasoned ingredients. All in all, a great find!Special Features:
- I love this place, a teenyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2009I love this place, a teeny teeny teeny tiny bit loud... but otherwise cozy, great food and a great place to grab a glass of wine with a friend or share a full dinner with a client. Casual or dress to impress!! I take my clients at least once a month and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- everything on the menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2009everything on the menu was appealing and i thought this was the most value packed meal i've had in boston in many years. great work!Special Features:
- I live in the South End andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2009I live in the South End and had been meaning to try the SE Buttery for quite some time... I wish that I had skipped it. Our waitress was unpleasant and didn't bother mentioning the specials until we asked. She avoided the table and didn't bothers asking if we wanted additional cocktails or wine... she came off as offended when we did ask. The food was mediocre and nothing to remember... even the chocolate layer cake was poor!!! Our dinner was abruptly interrupted by the upstairs neighbors who apparently do not approve of the establishment.... multiple times the were stomping on the floor making a noise that sounded as if the neighborhood was being bombed. I am glad I tried it and know not to come back... Extremely disappointing!
- The Buttery was very quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2009The Buttery was very quaint and romantic. The food was quite good, especiall for the price.Special Features:
- Nice relaxed meal. Can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/2/2009Nice relaxed meal. Can't wait to take friends again.Special Features:
- I really like their set-upChrisVIPDined on 3/31/2009I really like their set-up now that the downstairs eating area is open. The menu is interesting and, with no entree over the $20 mark, a good value in these economic times. Most of the cocktails - which are again creative and interesting - are less than $10. The tables are still jammed together and when packed, it can be a bit confining. However, the fireplace is a nice touch downstairs. I would definitely recommend it as a great place to eat in the SE. The only caveat is that you may want to go during the week when it is less crowded, giving more room to spread out.Special Features:
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2009Our dining experience was equisite. It was a wonderful place for a group to go to spend time and catch up. Our waiter was extremely patient with us - as we took a long time to look over the menus and place our order. It was much appreciated.Special Features:
- I've been there three timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2009I've been there three times and the first 2 times were a little better than this particular time.Special Features:
- Excellent, the lighting wasRJB1215Dined on 3/25/2009Excellent, the lighting was a bit dark but I truly enjoyed the atmosphere and wait staff. My entree was superb. In fact, I went back the second night to the bar and had dessert and a late night martini! Awesome spot to meet a friend for a quiet drink and dinner.Special Features:
- Love this spot -- it's a greatLTC123Dined on 3/16/2009Love this spot -- it's a great spot and the BEST french fries!!!Special Features:
- I have enjoyed The ButteryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009I have enjoyed The Buttery for coffee and lunch, but this was my first try at their dinner menu. We ate in the upstairs bar area - great people watching in a comfortable room. Our server was more than helpful and pleasant. Try the Earl Grey's Suite, an unusual and delicious twist on the martini, and at only $8 each, you can enjoy two. We started with the mussels, served with a paper cone of delicious, and not greasy fries - plenty for two to share. I had a half order of penne with pumpkin seed pesto - good size and very tasty. My friend had the chicken with risotto and broccoli rabe - also a nice size and delicious. A great place for a casual dinner - good food, excellent and very pleasant service, and very moderate prices.Special Features:
- The food was great, but portionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/13/2009The food was great, but portion sizes very small. The atmosphere and ambiance were the highlight--it somehow managed to be cozy yet elegant. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the drinks on the menu, but wasn't as friendly (overall) as you'd expect. We waited an extremely long time for our food to come out, although we didn't mind as much because of the ambiance and great cocktails!Special Features:
- They forgot half of our orderJoshuaJonesDined on 3/13/2009They forgot half of our order but still billed us for it. They mixed our drinks in the same mixer but didn't wash it out in between so our different drinks didn't end up so different. My food was so burnt that it was difficult to eat. I was surprised because the first time we went there the food and service were great.
- We've enjoyed eating upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/7/2009We've enjoyed eating upstairs at the Buttery several times: good food, leisurely but attentive service, decent prices. But Saturday night downstairs was disappointing. The small room was sweltering. There was one waiter for the whole room--maybe the whole restaurant. Not sure if he was forgetful, overwhelmed, or (probably) both. He offered us a cooler for the white wine bottle; we accepted, due to the temperature of the room. The cooler never showed up. We asked for more bread when the wine came. The bread didn't show up till 30 minutes and 2 requests later. Between the salad and the mussels appetizer, 50 minutes passed, with scant bread. We canceled the pasta, ran for the cool outside air. Food was still good. Service was true chaos.Special Features:
- Im really disappointed. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/6/2009Im really disappointed. The service was terrible. They run out of a lot of the items in the menu and we were there at 8:30pm. I would be OK with that if it was 10pm but at 8:30pm on a Friday night, you would think that they still have all the items in the menu. The worst thing is that they served 3 out of 4 people in my party half the portion of short ribs because they were running out of them (we still got charged full price). Unfortunately, none of the 4 people in my party have any desire to go back even though the quality of the food was excellent.
- Very well prepared items atBostonguyVIPDined on 3/6/2009Very well prepared items at reasonable prices, downstairs was warm and intimate and very quiet. Waiter was the usual south end friendly and quite knowledgeble about food.Special Features:
- The South End Buttery wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/6/2009The South End Buttery was great! I had been there for coffee in the morning. The dinner there was great, although not too many vegetarian entres. Loved the ambiance, cozy in the "celler" kind of feel. Definitely recommend it. Great date spot or just dinner with friends!Special Features: