South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South End Buttery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendbuttery.com/
- Phone: 6174820711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen Rossi, Culinary Director
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater home and office events on weekdays. Check out our web site for our corporate catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss large party reservations. We are a small restaurant, but we will try to accommodate your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Gordon 617-482-1015
- Special Events: Our intimate garden level dining room accommodates 35-40 guests for a private sit-down dinner. Because we are a small restaurant, we require a fixed rate per guest to offer your party our garden level dining space for an entire evening. Rates depend on the day of the week booked and start at $125 per guest for weeknights and $150 per guest for Friday and Saturday nights. Minimum rates will apply. We offer a full bar and customized menus for special events based on our seasonal offerings. We also offer space in our cafe for up to 20 guests for a sit-down dinner. Please call for details.
- Cross Street: Union Park
- Public Transit: Back Bay Orange Line -- 5 minute walk
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Private parking lots are also available one block away at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Waltham Street (next to Gaslight Restaurant) and at 505 Tremont Street, the Calderwood Pavilion.
A word from South End Buttery
South End Buttery is a neighborhood eat-in and take-away bakery/cafe by day and full bar/restaurant by night. The Buttery's award-winning food has a reputation for combining simple and few ingredients to create exceptional everyday food at everyday prices. The Buttery takes casual fine dining to new heights, with classic comfort food as well as dishes for the health and calorie conscious that pair beautifully with the affordable wine and beer selections. You'll feel like you're dining in your own home – but you won’t have to do the dishes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
South End Buttery - Best Restaurants in South End ›
South End Buttery reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)great for brunch (67)romantic (40)fit for foodies (40)great for lunch (17)special occasion (15)hot spot (12)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Friendly service, great brunch foodLjbayerDined on 6/15/2014Brunch was great--we had brioche French toast, huevos rancheros, and crab cake sandwiches. All were well prepared and nicely presented. Everyone was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We went for Fathers Day and it did not disappoint!!!Special Features:
- Best brunch in BostonFoodEnthusiastDined on 6/15/2014This is the first place I look to make a reservation for many special occasions (Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, etc). You are guaranteed a delicious meal at the Buttery. The brunch menu rarely changes but they typically have an additional special menu to pick from (at least on Mother's and Father's Day). I almost always order the Buttery Breakfast as their pancakes and eggs are to die for, I don't know how they make something so simple so delicious! This time I ordered an omelet off of the special menu which came with a side salad and home fries, everything about my meal was great. Another member of my party ordered the steak breakfast burrito which looked and smelled fabulous! Needless to say, we left satisfied and full!Special Features:
- Cute place to get togetherLisaVIPDined on 6/8/2014Always wanted to brunch at the buttery. It was a very good choice. Service could have been slightly more attentive, but overal good. We will go back.Special Features:
- Overall Great brunchNHGalDined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing and the surroundings were beautiful; I'd definitely recommend it and go back. That being said, it was crowded and confusing to get seated for my reservation and I didn't feel made comfortable in that situation by the staff. Not that anyone was rude, but also not overly pleasant or helpful. I would guess just overwhelmed by the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambiencelove4food1Dined on 6/5/2014I read about South End Buttery from the internet. When I reach Boston, I google and found my way to the restaurant. The ground floor dining was brighter and can see the road but I chose the basement where a nice fireplace is located. There were lots of chatting from fellow clients but I find the noise level very energetic and lively. The food that I ordered were so yummy that the noise seemed music to my ears. The waiter and chef were very attentive and were always around to see to the needs of clients. Service was excellent. I enjoyed my meal and if I can come back again I will definitely look up this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BrunchSippemomDined on 6/1/2014Brunch food was fresh and tasty. The decaf coffee was sorely deficient, however. I believe it was made from a package of instant Sanka. Everything else was fine. A bit crowded but we liked the buzz.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2014Great brunch! Service was a but slow. And my food wasn't hot hot unfortunately. It was probably sitting waiting for my two friends meals to be ready? Still delicious. Long waits, so make resefvstions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice early dinnerwestenderVIPDined on 5/31/2014We ate here early on a Saturday evening, before a concert. Sat upstairs for a change. The space is airier than downstairs, with its own charm. Friendly service and a visit from the Manager. The high tables are high, and it takes a bit of effort to get to the bench side, but great people-watching. We could not stop eating the amazing rosemary scones! We enjoyed the calamari, and our server provided tartar sauce for the diner who did not care for the excellent tomatillo dip. The salmon entrée was more than enough to share. We did not have time/room for dessert. Next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South end mustBostonAASVIPDined on 5/27/2014So cozy and the food is so good. A great neighborhood restaurant to have a great meal and catch up with friends!Special Features:
- Another delicious dinnerJayPVIPDined on 5/24/2014I dined with my wife, 25 year old daughter and boyfriend. We all enjoyed the variety of menu items. My wife and I split orders of the Hanger Steak and Eggplant Parm. My daughter had the homemade veggie burger, her boyfriend the traditional burger. All was delicious! The only thing off was the timing. The dinners came out before we finished our salads and appetizers. We really enjoy a short break between courses so suggest the restaurant work on this. Otherwise, this is a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Excellent!BiancaneroDined on 5/24/2014Loved my goat cheese and herb omelet and bloody mary. Highly recommend although I did think the music was a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and EnergeticamallatDined on 5/23/2014The downstairs is small, but super cozy. It got kind of loud with the large tables, so maybe not great for a romantic date night, but was great for a girls' night out. Service was great! I got the salmon and it was cooked to perfection and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedVIPDined on 5/18/2014food very bland.. I traded my steak with my friend, because it had no flavor. His chicken parm had even less flavor. This was after we had an app of calimari, that tasted like friend rubbery bread. I used to love this place.. what happened?
- Not so hotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014I have had lots of great experiences in the past, but this one was such a bummer! The service was insanely slow, orders took forever and they delivered the wrong order. I hope this is a temporary fail!!
- Last Minute Reservation...LastMinuteDecisionMakerDined on 5/17/2014...turned into a great decision. The mussels were amazing, very Mediterranean in a spicy (but not too spicy) broth. Also, the meat loaf isn't some smashed together ketchup concoction that your mom used to make. It was delicious, well seasoned, and with a brown gravy. Very nice later-night find on a cool evening. We ate downstairs, in a well decorated area with great candle ambiance, though the pear sidecar may have made the ambiance even better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2014Restaurant was very loud-- hard to hold a conversation. Service was efficient but we felt a bit rushed. Food was good, but portions were tiny for the price.
- Basement is too loudTeachVIPDined on 5/16/2014We like the food and ambiance generally, but we will definitely avoid dining here in the future unless we can be sure not to sit in the basement. It is simply too loud, even when the room is not quite full, to enjoy time together with friends. This is a local place for us and we would come frequently if not for the noise.
- Absolutely fantastic!AJMBostonVIPDined on 5/13/2014We picked South End Buttery on a whim on Tuesday night. We had loved it for brunch, but didn't know too much about their dinner. We were seated downstairs, which was really nice with a gas fireplace and window out to the garden. We started with the calamari with shisito peppers, which was fantastic. Then I had the hanger steak with pommes dauphine and grilled asparagus - SO GOOD...my boyfriend said the pommes dauphine were the "best thing he ever ate". He had the eggplant parm with garlicky spinach, which again was just perfect. Then we finished off with the affogato & seat salt chocolate chip cookies - omg. I will dream of this meal :) Can't wait to go back and have told many friends about it already!Special Features:
- Worst dinner in Boston eververmontgurlDined on 5/11/2014Uncomfortably loud and hot (fireplace was on and it was 80 degrees outside. Out of salmon, tried to get other recommendation waiter had no suggestions or advice. Said the egg parm was a casserole and shrimp fra diavlo was spicy. The 3 shrimp were in a tomato soup with about 10 strands of spaghetti and two complete sprigs of parsley, not spicy. The most unattractive meal I have ever been served. Waiter never checked on us until he asked if I wanted my sauce boxed up. Dropped off 2 decent herbed scones after the meal, I assume there were supposed to come after we had ordered. Wrong wine served. It was truly horrible.
- Delicious food!FrenchFanDined on 5/10/2014Delicious food made up for the not great service and sitting in the basement stairwell. Should request a table by the window next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make it lastFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014This was my fifth visit to Boston and my fifth visit to the South End Buttery. I've loved this restaurant and food for several years. However, the food and service this last visit was not comparable to my previous visits and if not but for the previous great food and service, this last visit would not compel me to return. I sincerely hope this restaurant is not headed downhill, I made memories here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A brunch for everyonekatryan11VIPDined on 5/3/2014I recently are brunch at the Buttery with two close girl friends and one of their boyfriends. They all had different tastes but we were all so satisfied with the presentation and quality of the food. The heuvos rancheros were incredible and adding a little avacado made them that much better. Perfect day time spot for lunch or brunch with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy but a GemJumperDined on 4/26/2014I went there for the brunch menu. While the seating tends to be a little cramped which adds to the noise level, everything there was absolutely outstanding. The food, the drinks, and the service make the buttery a great to go and re-visit. I couldn't recommend it more highly.Special Features:
- Nice food, nice spotCandiceDined on 4/19/2014I met a friend here for dinner. Our dinner was great, food was delicious and a young couple that were dining next to us became very engaged in our conversation.....we all ended up having great fun!Special Features:
- Best Eggs Benedict EverLindaVIPDined on 4/19/2014First of all, thank you Open Table. I called South End Buttery to make a reservation for brunch, but was told that it was completely booked. I made a reservation 5 minutes later through Open Table, and had no issues. I even got a call to confirm my reservation from South End Buttery that night. The very busy café almost steered me away as it seemed a bit chaotic. Dining was in another area though. The eggs benedict were really the best ever. They served it on a buttery biscuit. It was fantastic. The pancakes were great, but not as much of a wow factor as I would have expected. The place is cute. It looks like a little breakfast nook in a home. I would go again.Special Features:
- a pleasant surprise for dinneradamVIPDined on 4/11/2014I have started avoiding this place for coffee and breakfast due to the lines and the slightly entitled vibe of some of the clientele. I had never been for dinner and decided to give it a try since I live nearby. I was very pleasantly surprised! We sat downstairs by the fire place which was nice and cosy. The quality of the food was outstanding. We got beef cheeks, mussels and pork, All were cooked very well and had delicious flavors and seasonings. It far exceeded my expectations.
- Perfect South End Spot!HRGsteinVIPDined on 4/9/2014I highly recommend South End Buttery Dinner: perfect -- not too heavy and over-spiced like so many of the south end places. The scallops were awesome, salad was delightful and the lobster mac 'n cheese can be a perfect main dish. Service was slow but very friendly - we sat upstairs in the bar area. I actually enjoyed that it was slow because we had time in between drinks and the salad to talk and catch up. I've been with larger groups and it was great. Brunch - crowded for a reason. It's popular on the weekends so book a reservation and you'll be all set. Coffee - In the front, there is a coffee shop that is also crowded on the weekends. Great coffee and large tea selection and lots of breakfast options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!PIPERVIPDined on 4/6/2014Outstanding food and service! We loved Maxwell! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I cannot say enough good thingssingergrl628Dined on 3/30/2014I cannot say enough good things about this experience! The food was to die for, I was part of a party of four and each of out meals were fantastic. It has to be the best breakfast I have had in a long time. It is such a quaint spot in Boston's south end, the main dining area is comprised of a few tables on the first floor and the remainder on the lower level. The spacing was tight but you didn't even mind because the mood and ambiance in the room was delightful. Making the reservation on Open Table was definitely a must, we went for brunch around 11 on a Sunday and the place with about 80% full with people coming and going as we ate. The restaurant also includes a bakery/coffee shop which I have been told the cupcakes are also divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable atmosphereMaymeVIPDined on 3/29/2014Food and service were great. The bakery out front was quaint We ate at a high top in the bat which was very comfortable and bright during the daylight. This was my second visit and would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- RelaxingJanieDined on 3/22/2014A very relaxing evening. You are not rushed, but the food--all excellent--comes out promptly. There's no beer on tap but the bottled choices are all good. There's a variety of seating. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy BrunchEmitDined on 3/22/2014I always enjoy brunch at the Buttery. The food is always delicious and the service very friendly. The menu is full of healthy and organic items and the drinks are very creative.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedStefVIPDined on 3/21/2014Crowded, close tables so that you're basically in the next person's conversation throughout your meal. Food was nothing to write home about, although tasty, I expected a more inventive menu. Service was slow and inattentive. This was my first time, so I would go back once more to see if this was just an off night and because I love the South End in general for ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect brunch spotKatrinaDined on 3/15/2014I went to brunch on a Saturday, midday, with 3 girlfriends, and we had an amazing time. It's such a cute spot, great decorations, and the food was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits the spot Everytime!EgganoodleDined on 3/15/2014Every single time I come here the food is excellent. The brunch is always fantastic. I bring anyone who comes To boston here - it's a must!Special Features:
- Food was very good, but thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/13/2014Food was very good, but thought it was too noisy in the downstairs room when filled with people. The noise was distracting and hard to hear the person across from me. (And I was facing the wall).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialvegetablesDined on 3/8/2014The food is decent (fresh, pleasant-tasting), but nothing exceptional, particularly not for the price. There are definitely better brunch options. The seating is a bit crowded and the coffee was not very good.
- Nice brunch placeNShahDined on 3/2/2014Place is little tight but they made it work .. we got a very good vibe .. Service and food was excellent and pretty fast compare to amount of rush. Neighborhood is great and I would def recommend if you are on date or with group of friends. Book in advance as they have online reservation which worked out good for us to avoid waitingSpecial Features:
- I do like the buttery - it'stakoDined on 3/2/2014I do like the buttery - it's a solid and reliable choice, and I highly recommend their breakfast sandwich if you're passing through. There was some confusion with our orders, but everyone was very friendly despite how incredibly busy it was. It took us a long time to find parking, but we were seated immediately when our party was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.