The Inn at Sugar Hill
5704 Mays Landing - Somers Point Rd
Mays Landing, NJ 08330Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Inn at Sugar Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.innatsugarhill.com/
- Phone: (609) 625-2226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Larry Boylan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Inn's off-premise catering company, Carousel Catering has been hosting in home or office parties & hall weddings for the past ten years. Call Donna Kenney at 609-625-2021 for a custom quote & menu choices.
- Private Party Facilities: The main Inn boasts three intimate dining rooms graced with fireplaces, floral wallpaper & linen draped tables that accommodate from 12 to 32 guests. The entire inn can be reserved for 75 guests. Along the 200 foot bulkhead there are brick terraces that when tented can host receptions for up to 100 guests. Call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret Boylan 6096252226
- Entertainment: Live entertainment every Friday in the Sunset Lounge 6:30pm till 10:30pm. Live piano music (standards) on Saturdays 6:30pm till 10:30pm. Live bands every Friday & Saturday nights from May to September, 6:00pm till 10:00pm at the Dockside Grill along the waters' edge.
- Special Events: Call Larry Boylan, owner / chef at 609-625-2226
A word from The Inn at Sugar Hill
The Courier Post recently honored the Inn with three & a half stars boasting, “Owner/chef Larry Boylan has put a kitchen full of thought into his waterside Inn at Sugar Hill.” That “thought” process has been ongoing for Boylan & his Inn for 22 years now, with no signs of letting up. “ I believe a good dining experience has the ability to not only nourish the body, but also nourish a persons’ soul… to be able to reach out & touch someone on that level is a high that gives me a lot of satisfaction & motivates me”, states Boylan. As an authentic Country Inn, the Inn at Sugar Hill has always strives to provide old world hospitality to both its’ dining & bed & breakfast guests. This philosophy has led to creating menus that reflect not only current culinary trends, but also respect the palates of those less adventurous. “Before I print a new menu I always look it over & say… what are my parents going to order & then… what are my teenage daughters going to like!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Inn at Sugar Hill - Best Restaurants in Mays Landing ›
The Inn at Sugar Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (28)special occasion (23)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (11)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (5)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Usually a great place butTracieDined on 3/5/2014Usually a great place but our food was cold service was great as always we chose not to say anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant evening at the Inn.JohnRDined on 3/1/2014My wife, daughter, and I had dinner Sat, 3/1 at the Inn. We were placed at a cozy table by the fireplace. Our server Donna was engaging and made the experience that much more enjoyable. Servers recognized us from past dinners and stays which is always nice. The menu is short and traditional, but everything is good and everyone can find something to enjoy. My daughter, not the most daring of diners, chose the Chicken Picante. She finished it all. My Chicken Pot Pie was tasty and visually enjoyable. They have a early dinner special of three courses for 17 bucks which included coffee. A tasty bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server very friendly and courteous,wocnjDined on 2/22/2014server very friendly and courteous, but slower than I would likeSpecial Features:
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I were looking to try someplace new for a romantic birthday dinner. We were pleased from the moment we sat down. I had requested a table with a view and were seated in a cozy spot with a view of the lake. Sat they had live music which was lovely and unobtrusive. The menu was wonderful and the chef paid attention to detail. Our server was helpful with her knowledge of the food preparation. We pa reticular lay were pleased with the Cape May Salt oysters, fresh and delicious and the Oyster stew was to die for! Our experience was wonderful a me we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerKcd53Dined on 2/15/2014As a group, we were not that pleased with the food. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive, but the menu selections and the preparation left something to be desired. Since it is on the water, a better option may be to dine there in the summer and soak up the view, although the dining room where we sat viewed the parking lot . The room where we were seated was marginal at best, the chair in which I was seated was a bit unstable, the food was not great. However, the drinks were perfect. By making our reservations through Open Table, I believe we not given the choice area in which to dine (eg porch or tavern where the ambiance was better) . The ambiance would have made the dining experience better, but couldn't help the food.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!amkshopperDined on 2/14/2014We loved everything about Sugar Hill: the scenic setting along the river, the wait staff, our table in front of the fireplace, and most of all the excellent food, all prepared fresh and to order.(even the desserts are prepared from scratch, on premises --- the carrot cupcake is to die for. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy by the fireplace!MAL4CherryHillVIPDined on 2/11/2014We have been coming here for years and it keeps getting better! This time we came on a cold snowy day. The food was wonderful as well as the service! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!sueZDined on 2/8/2014Having recently moved into the area, we have been wanting to try The Inn for a few months. I can't believe we waited so long to find a fabulous restaurant right around the corner. The food was amazing, wine delicious....there was nothing I can say that would be bad. The Inn at Sugar Hill may have become my most favorite restaurant, and I think we may become regulars!Special Features:
- Enjoyed Inn Early Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014Great place to enjoy good food and to catch up with friends. We loved having the dining room to ourselves on our weeknight early dining time. The service was wonderful. The wine by the bottle seemed a bit pricey!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerRickDined on 2/1/2014It was my first time back in several years and i was not disappointed with the meal. We all ordered the Chicken Christina and it was just as I had remembered from my last experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had dinner on a cold wintershorejonVIPDined on 1/18/2014We had dinner on a cold winter saturday night; wan't very crowded. Our waitress was delightful. We had salad's that were interesting and very good, but our main courses took a very long time to come out. The veal special, stuffed with crab, was too tough to eat. We don't eat there often, will give it a try from time to time because of the setting and ambiance. That has't changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of plansCherylAnnDined on 1/15/2014Sugar Hill was not our original plan for the evening, but due to bad weather we decided to stay closer to home. The bad weather worked to our advantage because we had never tried this restaurant for dinner only for the outdoor entertainment, but much to our surprise our food and service was excellent!! My only regret is not enjoying this restaurant sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit by the fireplace on a cold eveRedblendDined on 1/7/2014They had a red blend from Sharrott winery that we really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific DinnerKarlDined on 12/26/2013Everything about the Inn at Sugar Hill was very good. Greeted with a friendly "hello." Service was good. Food delicious. Sat on the porch overlooking the water, making the ambience nice.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT EXPERIENCEMargeDined on 12/21/2013My friends and I love coming to the Inn I recommend it to as many people as I can. Our experience is always top notch. Thank you and your staff for making us feel so welcome. For us it is worth the trip 2 of us live in Bellmawr, NJ and 2 live in Clifton Heights, PA We look forward to our next meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchCathyDined on 12/11/2013Our server was friendly and there was a good atmosphere. The food was better last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortablefrank38Dined on 12/5/2013Went into the bar prior to dinner and enjoyed conversation with the bartender and local patrons. Katie, the bartender made an awesome dry martini chilled to perfection. The dinner was delicious and more than adequate as was the ambience and the view overlooking the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendDinnerfor2Dined on 11/22/2013Seafood was great! My husband had the duck. He said it was also very good and a nice amount. It was not crowded this time if the year. But in the summer I always see a nice crowd outside when I drive by. We will definitely be back and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sounded betterGirlsNightDined on 11/7/2013I think the dry scallops were described so deliciously I had very high expectations. They were just OK. We did not follow our servers advise and get some of the items he recommended which we will next time. The roasted pear salad was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for food and service...JeffVIPDined on 11/2/2013Great place for food and service.... Highly recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatfoodfreakDined on 10/4/2013We went for our anniversary dinner in October. Sat on the enclosed porch which was a bit chilly even though it was heated. Our server was polite, and somewhat attentive. The food was delicious. We will go back in the summer for another go at it. It's definitely a place for a special occasion. A bit pricey, but loved the ambiance and view of the harbor.Special Features:
- Oldie Worldie on the LakeTraveleenieDined on 9/28/2013Lovely evening as usual at this restaurant. The music added a special touch to the already beautiful view and charm. We enjoyed the setting sun along with perfectly prepared dinners. Mostly classic foods are served but they are of good quality with a nice presentation. Our server seemed to be "not at the top of her game." We were not offered desert before she brought us our check. The dinners were ample sized so we viewed this as a good opportunity to keep our calorie intake limited. All in all we enjoyed having dinner at the Inn at Sugar Hill and look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- Just okTheresaCVIPDined on 8/24/2013The Inn seems to be better if you are having an event. To go for dinner it is not my favorite to feel like I am at a wedding. The service was slow considering our waitress, however friendly, was very busy servicing a event as well as tables. We also had a problem with a error on the wine list. It was listed as a 2000 wine and it was from 2011. After bringing it to the waitress attention she did replace it with a wine of our choice.
- They have a lovely small veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2013They have a lovely small very friendly bar for a pre dinner drink or after dinner drink. Bar tender was very friendly and warm. Wait staff was perfect. LOVE this place been here many times never disappointsSpecial Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2013We celebrated our anniversary by dining at the Inn at Sugar Hill and it was an excellent choice! The food was delicious, the servers and hostess were friendly and very accommodating, and the view of the lake was just beautiful. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Wonderful place!AdelcasaleDined on 8/9/2013Not certain why it took me so long to go to this place but will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As our first time dining atOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/3/2013As our first time dining at this restaurant our experience could not have been better. The view, service, quality of food, drinks and the night cap in the lounge capped off a wonderful evening for my wife and I and we will be returning in the near future.Special Features:
- The service was poor due toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013The service was poor due to management issues, the servers had to many tables and not enough support staff to assist/ properly trained. you could see others dinning and there frustration for waiting. This also may have had some effect on the quality of the food served. It was very warm outside and the AC/HVAC could not handle cooling the restaurant which hindered the experience, avoid dining in the heat of the summer. Overall there is potential for great improvements.Special Features:
- remarkableNovaDined on 7/20/2013Very quiet atmosphere in the restaurant. Bar outside on the water was a nice touch for before dinner drinks. Food was delicious and staff was remarkable. Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been there twice inFoodFan18VIPDined on 7/19/2013We've been there twice in a month and had the same problems. First, while cordial, the service was again inefficient and slow. The food was spotty...what was good was good, but items were inconsistent. Bread and flatbreads were good and plentiful. However, salad was overloaded on a small plate and hard to eat without everything spilling over. My sauteed vegatables were undercooked, but potato slices were delicious. My husband's meatloaf portion was insulting and looked liked the smaller end of the the loaf that had been just cut off. They should have added a second slice. The lovely room/lounge overlooks the river for a beautiful view, but we will no return.Special Features:
- Slow but goodphilittaDined on 7/13/2013Had reservations for a date night at 7 pm, seated immediately, and ordered by about 10-15 minutes after 7. Wine came quickly, appetizers came quickly, and soup not long after. Dinner arrived closer to 9. What?! If we hadn't been staying at the Inn, we probably would have left. The couple next to us waited even longer. When they questioned the wait, they were told that the Inn was training someone new and they apologized for the wait. At some point during everyone's wait, the staff should have apologized, let us know what was going on, and offered something in return -- food, drink, lower bill, etc. However, I understand this is not the norm, and will probably try it at least once more. Once dinner was received, it was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dinnerToniDined on 6/29/2013This was my first time at Sugar Hill, and I was very impressed. We sat in the bar at a window overlooking the river, and it was beautiful. Food was very good, I substituted chicken for a veal dish, and they were very accommodating. Our server was very helpful in recommending wines and explaining dishes, and was very upbeat and happy, which definitely made our visit much more pleasant. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hadn't been to Sugar HillFoodFan18VIPDined on 6/22/2013I hadn't been to Sugar Hill for years, but heard good things recently. The lovely, quaint Inn overlooks the water. The food was good and reasonably priced. The bar has a good saxophone player on Saturday night. However, the service was too slow. Without appetizers or dessert, dinner took over 2-1/2 hours. Our server was very pleasant, but it took a lot of time to get drinks and take our order. Also, they were out of multiple regular items, including the one special, by 7:30 p.m. Finally, I had requested seating on the porch and the hostess had never read the request, so there was no room once we arrived. However, the bar was fine and the soft music was entertaining. I will go back because we enjoyed the food and wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2013It was a special occasion for us so jeans just wouldn't do. We made exactly the right choice. What an elegant dining room they have. The food was superb and the friendly service could not have been more perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid diningSatisfactionDined on 6/1/2013The food was excellent and so was the service . My wife and I look forward to returning for a wonderful evening of dining. Thank You: Mr and Mrs CookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2013Dinner comes with soup of the day or salad, but I didn't want the soup of the day. Rather, on my first visit to the restaurant I wanted to try the crab soup which they advertise as being very good. Only problem - no upgrades, not even for an up-price. I literally had to pay a la carte for a cup of the crab soup. The soup was great as advertised, but this situation was just plain stupid. I mean for a $5.95 cup of soup you'd think they'd just add a $2.95 upgrade price over the soup of the day. Funny thing is they do upgrade the vegetable for a similar price to get creamed spinach versus the chef's vegetables. To the owner....use your head. This would have been a 4-star rating without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off the main trackeatupDined on 5/25/2013Inn at Sugar Hill is scenic, the food is tasty, and the service was excellent. the space is divided into smaller rooms providing options for quiet dining (although the musician on Sat eve was very good). the food was homey and tasty, there is also an extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it...erncasDined on 5/22/2013The title says it all! We'll be back...Again & again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timecherobrienVIPDined on 5/11/2013This was my first time at the Inn at Sugar Hill and I liked it very much. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- four-season charmerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2013Mary Pat couldn't have been more welcoming, after our ordeal finding the place. We were set on having a leisurely 3 hour lunch, and we got it. Corner table overlooking green lawns down to the River. Perfectly executed martini and an excellent house white. The one disappointment was the pedestrian menu, which didn't at all live up to the enticing photos and hype on the website. The actual menu seemed geared to a no-nonsense. large-crowd approach that probably works well for the Inn's upcoming summer season, and their bottom line. Here again, however, the gracious attitude of the staff (Mary Pat was our one-person host/ bartender/waiter) carried the day and we left feeling we'd come back, with our culinary expectations somewhat lowered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.