5A5 Steak Lounge
244 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
5A5 Steak Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5a5stk.com/
- Phone: 4159892539x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Mon-Thu: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sun: 5:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Chen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 5A5 Steak Lounge offers full catering services and event coordination. Our event team hosts can provide off-site catering and event production at your home, office or other venues of your choice.
From cocktail parties, corporate luncheons to sit down dinners and weddings, we can take care of all your food and beverage event details.
- Entertainment: Tuesday to Saturday: Live Pianist
- Special Events: James Healey
A word from 5A5 Steak Lounge
5A5 Steak Lounge is San Francisco's first 'Steak Lounge' - a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse with the upbeat ambiance of a cocktail lounge. Executive Chef Allen Chen (Alexander's Steakhouse) has developed an outstanding menu which both complements and explores the boundaries of the traditional 'steak & potatoes' fare. Steaks: we serve 100% Japanese Wagyu, US Certified Angus Beef, American and Australian 'Kobe'. A5 is the highest grade of beef in the world. 5A5- 5 senses/the A5 experience. 5A5 Steak Lounge is conveniently located in the northern FiDi, perfect for happy hour, dining, and late night cocktails. Please view our website for happy hour specials and other events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
5A5 Steak Lounge - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
5A5 Steak Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (135)fit for foodies (93)romantic (85)notable wine list (61)good for groups (54)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (38)neighborhood gem (24)late-night find (22)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014This was a wonderful dining experience. Well worth then price. My husband and I think it may have been the best meal we have had in a really long time. Highly recommend this resturant.Special Features:
- Ask for a boothBridgetDined on 8/16/2014We had made early reservations, however, we were given a table in the back where they seated groups with kids. Next time, I'll insist on a booth since we made the reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TahniTahni527Dined on 8/15/2014The service was super awesome! Employees are Very well trained and patienced in despite of my two crazy little munchkins. I would love to come back here. The service over all was great and very professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Probably one of the only SF restaurants that stuck out to me.Special Features:
- Excellent experience 4.5 StarsjjgunnVIPDined on 8/15/2014Excellent value. Took a chance & 5A5 did not disappoint. Had the Maguro bite. Great balance of basil, mint & cilantro w/just the right amount of heat from the jalapeno. Small plate had the U-10 scallops 2 ways. Scallops poached so perfectly, Gordon Ramsay would be proud. The seared scallops were excellent as well, chimichurri & trout roe with pickled carrots really add an interesting flare to the dish For my main I had dry aged bone-in ny 22oz w/bacon jam, sous vide “perfect” egg. Mix the yolk with the bacon jam & take a bite of this perfectly cooked steak. Order medium as they tend to lean to the medium rare side anyway. Finished w/4 oz. 50/50 F1 Tajima Filet. Cooked perfectly medium rare, silky smooth & melts in your mouth. Very richSpecial Features:
- Great dinner date!ngzmnDined on 8/13/2014Went to 5A5 for my birthday, and we chose the perfect place! My husband and I are meat lovers, so 5A5 totally satisfied our happy tummy!Special Features:
- Good foodNibot46Dined on 8/10/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. Everything I hear about it was a good experience for me and my wife. It was our anniversary and the dessert was a nice touch. Thank you to all that served us that nightSpecial Features:
- Superb steaks; very very slowSolsticeVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was really excellent. We had a variety of steaks which ranged from very good to superb. But we waited an hour for a table even with reservations, and they did not offer much of an apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable BirthdayraylightDined on 7/31/2014My partner took me here for my birthday supper. The food was fantastic; the atmosphere was vibrant; the service was exceptional. On top of all that, the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steaks!time2eatDined on 7/29/2014Steak dinners are not a regular choice but when you have a craving for beef there is nothing better than a great cut prepared right. 5A5 did not disappoint. The entire meal from the Wagyu Tartare and beef sashimi to the bone in aged NY to sides and dessert were excellent. Nice wine list too. The service was outstanding from the moment we walked into the restaurant. The atmosphere was very nice and relaxed and made for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Made a reservation the day of and my wife and I arrived an hour early. We decided to relax in the lounge area and order some drinks and appetizers. The Wagyu burgers were delicious. We loved the main dining area and the main course was great. Our personal favorite was the truffle Mac and cheese. Great service!!Special Features:
- Delicious!NewlywedsDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had never tried Wagyu steak before, but it is amazing at 5A5! Definitely worth trying. Even the non-Wagyu steaks are absolutely delicious! Definitely recommend this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak. Lounge. Sazeracs.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Have you ever heard Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing played lounge style on a baby grand? From the pianist up front providing a background to the background noise (which was quite enthusiastic) to the waitstaff who were present without being obtrusive, this place was great. The waiter we had was excellent, going so far as to surreptitiously rearrange our table after food had arrived to ensure we both had access to everything we needed without reaching. The food was decadent, from Wagyu beef to what is basically a Sazerac Affogato. The whole experience was definitely worth it.Special Features:
- eats2welleats2wellVIPDined on 7/20/2014Glacially potent and realistically priced Belvedere straight- up Martini." "Lobster Tempura"starter induced an historic "mouth-feel"for me: First the satisfying crunch of a perfectly crafted panko crust..followed by the explosion of briney lobsterjuice from an unimaginably moist and ample chunk of tail meat! Followed with the 6 oz. Filet Mignon. Tender and well seasoned.Hip restaurant. Intelligent table service. Back in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, NoisyFiveAFiveDined on 7/17/2014The food was very good but there were a couple of things I thought of as kind obnoxious. For example, in between the appetizer and the entree, they bring you this little mint-jelly-jello cube on a spoon as some kind of 'palette neutralizer' - it was stupid. It was also very noisy. But the food was good.
- Excellent steakhouse, sleek+ modernANonyMouseDined on 7/13/2014Very tender beef, excellent meal and service. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion or to impress guests. The ultra modern decor is not to my taste, but then so little is. Go for the food. They import genuine Wagu and Kobe beef, and their domestic beef is Angus. My T-bone was underdone but fine, so order one step more done than you really want. Extra friendly and efficient staff. They called 2 days in advance to confirm our reservation, and asked for any food allergies or sensitivities-- then the waitress repeated back what I told the caller and advised against certain selections. What a great service. I was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and overpricedAliceBTVIPDined on 7/13/2014Well, we didn't pay 138 for 4 oz of Japanese beef, and my spouse enjoyed her roast beef enough. The shrimps should have been thrown out the day before, the lentil soup was the best thing I had. I could go on about how most things were either sub-par or ordinary, despite a too-cheerful waiter trying to upsell us. Won't go back.Special Features:
- 4.9/5.0 OverallBornFoodieDined on 7/12/2014One of the best dining experience I've experienced in San Francisco. Our server was outstanding! She was knowledgeable with the menu, gave great recommendations, and was very welcoming and attentive. Phenomenal service. The only bad part of our dinner was the food runner who took and boxed our food. He tried to carry all the plates, and in doing so, stacked a plate right on top of our creamed spinach that was going to be boxed up! When we got our boxed food back, we realized he had thrown away my bone from my ribeye. There was still meat on the bone and I was looking forward to eating it at home! Also, he threw away what was left of our mac & cheese, which my girlfriend was looking forward to eating too. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all counts.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This was the best dining experience ever for my wife and I. They were informative of the food and drinks, and gave great recommendations on pairing food with wine. We informed them we were seeing a show and they called a taxi for us and had it waiting when we were done with dinner. My wife and I will be back, with friends. They were also very cautious of my wife's food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very vibrantfoodfeenDined on 7/11/2014food was a B+. Service was amazing and there were a lot of chef s complimentry dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceElisabethDined on 7/9/2014The food was Amazonas, and the service even better! If i could, i would bring the waiter back home with me to Norway. Outstanding knowlegde which made our experience top notch.Special Features:
- Awful - I cannot recommendDisappointingVIPDined on 7/8/2014Dinner was a disaster. Lobster Tempura: Lobster was average, cooking in low temperature oil(?) caused it to be oily and unsatisfying. Soup du jour - Carrot and Ginger - was flavorless. The Iceberg Lettuce salad was among the worst I have had in a fine dining establishment. Yellow, almost rotting lettuce. The manager took it away, but the one he brought to replace it was not much better. Brussel Sprouts, which the server recommended, were horrendous. 4 ounce Tajima F1 filet, medium rare, was nearly inedible. Tasted like the fuel that was used to cook it. Aumse Bouche was made with 'stale' prosciutto. Palate cleanser was without taste. I skipped dessert.
- Fantastic and unique steakhouseLinAdlinDined on 7/8/2014Business dinner with two others for an early dinner. Our waiter, Ali, was very thorough and energetic ... he recommended the Wagyu beef. Although it was tempting, we decided to go with their standard steaks. I highly recommend the appetizers including the Malay Satay, Shrimp, Wagyu Slider and the Truffle fries. The Prime Rib was excellent and so was the Ribeye. The restaurant was not too noisey, and we were able to have a nice conversation without being drowned out by the other patrons.Special Features:
- Great experience!DanLandDined on 7/7/2014Best steak I had in San Francisco. Service was great. Great place to have a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Great SteakhouseMemers13VIPDined on 7/5/2014You wont be disappointed coming here. We had the dry aged ribeye and it was amazing!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/4/2014Visited 5A5 Steak Lounge on our first night of a week long trip to San Fran and liked it so much we returned for a second time a few nights later. Loved the diversity of the menu, the care and attention that went into the sauces accompanying the domestic cuts and the waygu??? What can we say -- a little tough on the pocketbook but very much worth it!! Bar far the best part of the experience though was the quality of the staff. Our server Layla was absolutely phenomenal -- extremely friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable -- and interacting with her was certainly one of the highlights of the trip.
- Steaks smothered in sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/4/2014Loved the lobster mash potatoes and really enjoyed the mushroom side plate (great if you enjoy a simply prepared wild assortment of mushrooms). The steak we ordered was smothered in sauce, which may be good for some, but if you're a traditionalist who wants a great steak that stands on its own you will be disappointed. I saw other people ordered a prime rib that looked fantastic, for which I may go back and give it a try.
- Upscale Steak HouseVAexplorerDined on 7/2/2014This is not your average Japanese steak house. Live piano music accented the ambiance of this contemporary, upscale restaurant. The service was first rate. The food was expertly prepared and presented. The lobster appetizer was flavorful as were the sliders. Worth the splurge was the Wagyu beef. Three of us shared an 8 oz. rib-eye. The steak melted in your mouth - a culinary experience! No doubt the American steaks would have been tasty for a fraction of the cost. All in all, a great meal and an enjoyable evening,Special Features:
- Not your typical steak restaurantAl888Dined on 7/1/2014I had a 4 oz A5 wagyu rib eye that was cooked perfectly, melts in your mouth and it was better than Alexander's Australian version. My Son's bone-in rib-eye was huge and cooked just the right way, which is difficult because the thickness of the steak itself! and my wife's three small plates; tuna tataki, wagyu sashimi and lobster tempura was great, especially the lobster tempura that cannot be cooked any better; crunchy on the outside yet juicy on the inside! Aside from the wonderful meal, their dessert was great too! we are coming back for more next month with friends so we can try other dishes as well. Wanted to also mention their excellent services!Special Features:
- Fantastic!AV8ORDined on 6/30/2014First time experiencing Wagyu Beef. Loved it and 5A5! Will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Great SteaktheswamiDined on 6/30/2014I would expect great beef from a Steak House, and 5A5 did not disappoint. The $200 Wagyu steaks were not in the budget, but the "regular" ribeye was among the best I have had - great sear/crust, sauce, sides. Everyone in my party (work colleagues) left happy. Hope to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service I ever had...SamanSimVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is my 1st time to this restaurant and I brought a friend who works for Singapore Airlines. She was very impressed with our waitress, Megan. She's very friendly, efficient, patient, passionate about what she does. She has a great smile all the time. And check on us to make sure we are okay with our food. What a pleasant evening with excellent service and great food. I'll be bringing friends to 5A5 again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Above AverageThor42Dined on 6/24/2014Fine meal, good experience, and a few things for the epicure. There is Wagyu beef on the menu and a fine selection of whiskeys from around the world. My companion and I each ordered a flight (three 1oz shots), one from the US and one from Japan. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly without being overbearing, the ambiance leans towards trendy (flashy lights), and the chef sent out a couple tidbits to whet the appetite. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a Wonderful DinnerWeldonDined on 6/21/2014First time at the restaurant which has been open for five years. The staff was excellent from the front door to the Matre D usering us out and telling us what direction we should take for our walk home. Food was exceptional from the 3 different cuts of beef to the all of the extras. Spinach, Mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and on and on. These were the moderately priced steaks in difference to the 5A steaks on the left side of the menu. Service was the BEST. Jake deserves an award besides his gratuity. The lounge and the Neil Young lookalike piano player was a hit. One glass of port became 3 glasses, and a whole lot of 60 & 70's music leaving just a great spot in our hearts for A5A .Special Features:
- Excellent food at reasonable priceChanDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated belated Father's Day dinner. My father had a great time there with unique and taste Wagyu beef. He had the rib cab and it tasted great. He was very surprised being served with a special dessert at the end for his recognition. A few things to improve. 1) The table is leveled too high at the center section. I felt like a kid, eating with arms held high. 2) The music from the pianist was too loud. I hope softer music was played. Other than that, it was great. I will definitely come back to treat my friends out.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014Friendly ... Romantic ..vibrant... Delicious! You will definitely see me again!! Impecable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall okDnbhennVIPDined on 6/19/2014Excellent and attentive service. Wife's filet outstanding...my ribeye just ok. Ribeye prepared ok, just nit a good cut that night, low marbled. Mac n cheese was excellent.Special Features:
- Food was great!FriedaDined on 6/18/2014Everything we ordered was great. Over server was very attentive, but it was a little loud. But all and all, a great place for steak.Special Features:
- this place is LOUDcharbarmacDined on 6/15/2014The open kitchen is fun to watch, but noisy. The open floor plan makes you feel like you're in a high class lounge, but also adds to overall volume. The food all had great flavor, but our meat and veggies were a bit underdone for our taste (fleshy center for medium rare & al dente brussel sprouts). Since we were incredibly full from our appetizers and other side dishes, we were perfectly content with eating the edges of our filet and ribeye, and took leftovers home. The service was GREAT! From the moment we were greeted, to our servers attention, to the support staff clearing our dishes, filling our water and checking in on us. Don't expect to have an intimate conversation, but do expect to have a fun, lively dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in one weekGoodEats52Dined on 6/12/2014I dined at 5A5 Steak Lounge for my birthday followed by an encore visit several days later. The staff was welcoming and genuine each time. The atmosphere was comfortable and not pretentious. Delicious food, generous portions, appropriate seasoning and just the right temperature. I had a Wagyu steak for my birthday and while it was pricey it was worth cost. $$$ My second visit saw me ordering grilled chicken. The menu is simple and most items are affordable. The staff was very accommodating and even flagged a taxi for me as I hurried to the theater. Give 5A5 a chance, I'm going back soon!Special Features: