Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedc.com/
- Phone: 2024482300x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - :Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
One of the finest restaurants in the capital and a recipient of five stars from Forbes Travel Guide, Plume serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our culinary team. Choose a cozy nook or a table by our inviting fireplace as you savor classic dishes expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today’s enlightened palates. Plume’s wine list spans more than a dozen nationalities and dates back to a rare 1720 Borges Madeira. Among the more than 50 vintages are those Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (41)romantic (35)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Christmas menulesaDined on 12/25/2013The food choice was superb. The taste and plating was excellent. We were very pleased with the service and the day.Special Features:
- Exquisite Dining RoomDiningbirdVIPDined on 12/24/2013Exquisite Intimate Dining Room with exemplary service, and fabulous cuisine. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 12/20/2013I really wanted to like Plume. I was looking forward to the night and the food. Unfortunately, the only thing Plume really has going for it is the wine list. We did the $95 dollar prix fixe menu, which had some really great options on it. That being said, the food just did not live up to my expectations. I started with the foie gras terrine. It lacked any character or complexity. My husband's seafood starter was ok, but nothing exceptional. My entree of veal breast promised a lot but didn't deliver. My husband had the steak and it was nothing special at all. In regards to ambiance, there was none to speak of. There was absolutely no music, and the service was prompt but impersonal and cold, even pretentious.Special Features:
- Super ServiceFredDined on 12/18/2013We have eaten in fine restaurants for more than 50 years but have never experienced the high level of service we enjoyed at Plume!. Wine and water topped off whenever possible. Someone always at hand to answer a question or provide any service requested. Never intrusive, always helpful. Doormen opened both doors of our car as we arrived at convenient valet parking. Immediately greeted by maitre de and escorted to table. questions about menu and wine list fully answered and requested advice offered. paying the bill automatically brought pr car to the front door waiting for us as we left. Food and wine were excellent but have been equaled elsewhare, but never the service. Yes, you pay for it but it najes fir a truly memorable evening,Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/17/2013My all time favorite restaurant...I think it's even better that the Inn at Little Washington. And i loved that place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Christmas DinnerMikeBDined on 12/14/2013We ordered the chefs tasting menu with the premier wine paring and we were absolutely astounded. All the food was prepared fresh and perfectly. The wine parings were quite special and the sommelier came to explain each one (and made sure to know what we ordered so as to explain how it would pair with the specific food item - he didn't just talk about the wine). It can be a bit expensive but for a Christmas special occasion it was worth every cent.Special Features:
- Everything was a but offPlg817Dined on 12/7/2013Bread was stale, portions were small, food was bland, dessert was too rich. Nice ambiance for Xmas time and a nice excuse to get dressed up but way overpriced and left hungry. If you do decide to go I would recommend you order the heartier food so you don't leave hungry. The duck was very good and the profiteroles were delicious. The ahi tuna tasted good and the presentation was lovely but not the best I've had. My scallops came with half of one Brussels sprout. I wouldn't go back with so many better options in DC.Special Features:
- Fine DiningMarkVIPDined on 12/7/2013Wonderful evening of romantic dining! Wine pairings where excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food with Great PortionsexcellentplumageDined on 12/7/2013My wife and I came here for a romantic, special evening. We found the food to be absolutely delicious. There were a lot of flavors and textures to the dishes. Presentation and service were excellent. We left completely stuffed and delighted. From beginning to end, this was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation and Service over foodFoodieVIPDined on 12/6/2013We did the tasting menu and it was profoundly disappointing. No dishes were bad by any means but nothing was memorable or exciting and as a whole the dishes were all bland. Somehow even a dish with truffles, foie gras, and poached duck egg was rich but uncomplex and bland. We did have fantastic pairings and service but that is not enough to make us go back. Highly recommend Marcel's over Plume or 2941 restaurant out in Northern VA. I assume its service and decor are the reason it is rated so highly.Special Features:
- The Last Great Elegant RestaurantRapidanBearDined on 12/3/2013This was the best restaurant service I have seen in many years. It is classically elegant in both service and setting, with very good food and a very impressive wine list. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Excellent food, exceptionalMonicaVIPDined on 11/16/2013Excellent food, exceptional wine list, outstanding serviceSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent; the servingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Food was excellent; the serving staff was knowledgeable about the dishes; service was attentive and prompt without being intrusive. The wines we had by the glass were not known to us but were very good and complementary to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special timeOct13Dined on 11/16/2013The Plume is a very well appointed and special place. The staff is very attentive to guest needs. Menu is excedllent with presentation spot on. Desserts are exceptional and special requests are taken with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJjofArlingtonDined on 11/15/2013First course was non-memorable. My wife had the dover sole which was a $20 upcharge over the $100 prix fix. The dover sole was great but $120 for Dover Sole is a bit much. I had the beef which was good but again not memorable. The cheese plate was amazing. All in all we felt like it was good but not worth the money.Special Features:
- ExceptionalWillieVIPDined on 11/12/2013One of the best dining experiences we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than StellarunhappyDined on 11/9/2013We were excited to visit Plume which had gotten such great reviews. At first, it was just as we expected--we got the tasting menu and things started off well. Sommelier came over to pour paired wine, explaining why it had been chosen and the amuse bouche was delicious. First course, same. By the second course, we waited an unusually long time. Third course took forever, waiter poured wine, all going downhill. By the end of the evening, we had to grab the water boy to ask that someone please just bring our bill. We had been sitting there after finishing the dessert course while staff went back and forth (our waiter included) and no one even glancing to see how we were doing. The total tab was over $400. Hope we just hit a bad night!
- No surprisesMLCWVIPDined on 11/9/2013A quality restaurant with service to match. Exceptional service and an overall excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Good, not Great -- DisappointingMattSturDined on 11/8/2013After reading all the reviews, perhaps we had built Plume up too much in our minds. It didn't meet expectations at all, in any category. Contrary to a professional reviewer's opinion, we were not transported to Paris, unless it was Paris, Texas. The service was spotty. When we asked about the crab risotto, the waiter said, "it's risotto," -- no further explanation. When we asked for more coffee for the table, we were brought a small pot with enough for one cup. The cheese tray was the most disappointing. Based on reviews we were expecting to be amazed. We asked for a selection for a table of four. We were given a huge white plate with four small, i.e. tiny, pieces of cheese with no embellishments. At $900 for four, we won't be back.
- Over ratedKitshozDined on 11/2/2013I was really looking forward to our meal at Plume. We were seated in a small area off the main area which was quite chilly - I had to put my pashmina on. We decided to opt for the tasting menu with wine. The food was of a high standard and the wines excellent. The service however let the side down. The sommelier, who we thought would be introducing the wines , only brought 2 of the wines. One of the other 5 staff brought the rest and we couldn't understand what he was saying. Too quietly spoken and obviously recited parrot fashion ! One of the other waiters was foreign and we couldn't understand him because of his heavy accent. I have enjoyed fine dining all over the world but Plume was pretentious.Special Features:
- Great dining experiencejsmeekDined on 11/1/2013My wife and I dined here celebrating her birthday. We had been here before for brunch and tea, but this was our first dinner experience. I feel like there are a lot of mixed reviews about Plume, so my expectations weren't that high. I will say, though, that I was pleasantly surprised. We ordered off the $95 menu each getting an appetizer, main course, and dessert. My wife got the heirloom tomatoes and the thai curry duck, which were delicious. I was expecting the duck to be overwhelmed by the curry, but it was very subtle and what I felt was the right amount. I got the duo of hamachi tataki and tartare and the rabbit tasting both of which were also delicious. For a special occasion, we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and a special treatmikeDined on 10/31/2013The food for every course was outstanding. The service was great. One of the best wine lists anywhere. Knowledgable and friendly staff. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousEverJenDined on 10/29/2013We had the most stunning, romantic meal at Plume. The cheese board was out of this world, and the whole meal was just amazing. To top it off I proposed during dessert to my girlfriend and she said yes! :-) Just a perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2013Beautiful intimate dining room. Perfect for whispered conversations in a setting where you can seriously DINE. with excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant Food, Wine and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2013What a wonderful evening. The Maitre d' Boone was awesome. Christian, the Captain did an amazing job of taking care of all our needs and the Sommelier, Michael paired our food with the most wonderful wines. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to dress upKKAmDined on 10/25/2013This was a great experience for two tourists. It was a lot of fun to go to a traditional French restaurant with top notch food and service. We enjoy everything about our evening and didn't think the $350 tab was too outrageous for such a nice experience (we had 2 glasses of champagne, 1 bottle of wine + 1 dessert). My scallops were so delicious I could've licked the plate clean. The chocolates to take home were the icing on the cake.Special Features:
- Everything you'd expectKaz249VIPDined on 10/24/2013Wonderful dinner. Fancy but approachable. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectfilippo47VIPDined on 10/24/2013I've been to Plume several times and dinner was always great, but this time it was more than that. From the foie gras poele' that the chef agreed to make for us even if it was not on the menu to the Dover sole to the incredible desserts, everything was just perfect. The service, as always, is professional without being neither stuffy nor too friendly, the ambiance warm and soothing. Every time I come to DC I make a point of having dinner at Plume. So should everybody else.Special Features:
- Classy Spot to DineBSmithDined on 10/23/2013If you have a romantic evening you are trying to plan you can't go wrong. Lots of selections to choose from with their prix fixe menu. They include the chef's daily amuse bouche, appetizer, entree, pre-dessert, dessert, and a petit fours on the way out. Very attentive service and they even made my girlfriend's dessert extra special by acknowledging the note I put on the open table reservation that it was her birthday. We were going to walk over to Quill for a few cocktails (that was the plan) but my girl was full and getting tired so we left. We did walk over to see the lounge and bar area at Quill which looked very cozy would have been nice to enjoy a few drinks and a cigar. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant venueEddyDined on 10/22/2013A delightful venue with outstanding good and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Dining Experience In D.C.enjoygoodfoodDined on 10/19/2013My family and I enjoyed a very good meal at Plume Restaurant this past week-end. Initially, we were seated in a remote alcove in the restaurant but felt "too" secluded and asked to be relocated which the staff did without hesitation. The food was tasty and given in generous portion size. They offered a vegetarian entree which my daughter ordered and found delicious. The wine list was complete in both wines by the glass and full bottles. We were especially impressed by the desserts. We were more than satisfied after our entrees but completely finished all the selections we made. This was the best meal I have eaten in the Washington D.C. area and recommend it be tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious!PeterDined on 10/11/2013It seems to be imitating the Del Posto approach in NYC, but doesn't come close. Everything about this restaurant was average, except its pretension which is very high. A real disappointment for such a highly rated restaurant.
- Good but not great as "advertised."NYCfoodiesDined on 10/5/2013Stayed in the hotel (The Jefferson) three years ago but never got to eat there because of prior commitments. Returned to DC and ate there for a special occasion with others. A beautiful setting, excellent service, fantastic wine list. But the food was far frog spectacular and in particular, the Dover sole we all had as part of the tasting menu was too salty. The other dishes were far from inspiring. Certainly not worth the price and I will not return.Special Features:
- Near perfectionDCVisitorDined on 10/3/2013We stayed at the Jefferson Hotel and wanted to try their highly acclaimed restaurant,The Plume. We were not disapppointed. This is the finest restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of eating in. Everything about the restaurant was excellent. Food, service ambience, you name it, it was first class. I am from San Francisco and I cannot think of any restaurant in the City that would be classierSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience at Plume wasRodZDined on 9/26/2013Our experience at Plume was outstanding. Food was excellent. Service was top notch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready to be pamperedfederalist25VIPDined on 9/20/2013Let me start out by saying this was the best meal we ate in D.C. If you plan a trip then make sure you save up some extra cash to come here. The service was phenomenal and the food even better. From the appetizers-foie gras terrine for me and and heirloom tomatoes for my wife to the Dover sole and sea scallop entrees this was awesome. The wine was the best white burgandy I have had in years and even the cheese tasting paired with the extensive selection of madeira was unreal. When my wife tasted her cake I knew the place was special--if she says fantastic (being a trained chef) I know it's true. The price is steep but when you are so satisfied it is worth it. You even get sweets and a personally printed list of the wines you enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to eat in DCGreyhoundjaneVIPDined on 9/20/2013If your looking for a fine dining experience look no further. From the free Valet parking offered on your arrival, to the little goody bag of chocolates offered to lady diners as they leave. The staff at the Plume make the whole experience a special one. The charming dining room is well laid out offering enough space between tables for privacy and it exhudes a quiet ambience, which I love, making it easy to converse with each other. You have the choice of 2 menus a tasting menu or the fixed menu, we went for the fixed meal which came with amuse bouche, appitizer, entree, pre dessert, dessert & petite fours all for just $95 !!! we were amazed. Both the food and the service are fantastic and could not be faulted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night Out!MarylandCrabDined on 9/19/2013My wife and I were celebrating our 21st anniversary by staying at the Jefferson Hotel. We decided to just eat in the hotel. Plume offered a tasting menu and three coarse set menu. We both chose the three course set menu. The service was the best I have ever had. The staff was always present but never intrusive. Each course was perfectly prepared and served promptly. Both my wife and I chose the filet which was expertly prepared, accompanied by truffled potatoes. Plume is not for the frugal but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2013The food and atmosphere was outstanding. Likewise the service was impeccable. I would strongly recommend this location for a business dinner or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tuesday nightsimsDined on 9/17/2013food was good but not as good as it should have been. crab risotto should have crab in it - easily seen crab. the sole was good but only warm - table side presentation would be good idea. my overall thought is this is too nice of a place to not exceed expectations - instead it was just good. i do want to say though that service is particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.