Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedc.com/
- Phone: 2024482300x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - :Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
One of the finest restaurants in the capital and a recipient of five stars from Forbes Travel Guide, Plume serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our culinary team. Choose a cozy nook or a table by our inviting fireplace as you savor classic dishes expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today’s enlightened palates. Plume’s wine list spans more than a dozen nationalities and dates back to a rare 1720 Borges Madeira. Among the more than 50 vintages are those Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (41)romantic (36)notable wine list (31)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Too many VISITORSLeahTheSBDined on 5/9/2014Though I enjoyed the food very much, their were too many different people coming to the table. One for water, one for bread, one for changing the plates, one just to check on us. It was too much and they came too frequently. If a patron chooses a quiet place in the restaurant assume they want it to be just that. A quiet evening. I could not even get into my conversation the way I wanted to. Over serving DOES NOT equal exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over AttentiveNeighborDined on 5/9/2014A small dimly light, classy, and well appointed dining room with about a dozen table and feels like a dozen wait staff. It was difficult to have a relaxing dinner with the wait staff buzzing around the tables multiple times per minute. The staff, as nice as they are, would do better if they stand in corner and observe their customers needs, rather than hover around like bees. Food is of high quality but the fare is somewhat predictable. Dessert were definitely the highlight of the evening. Although the palate cleanser was the best item on the prix fix we had!Special Features:
- wonderful experince.woosieDined on 5/1/2014Dinner was good and wine pairings were perfect. We enjoyed dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPlumeDined on 4/26/2014We chose fixed price menu where you get to select an appetizer, entree, & dessert. We had crab risoto & ahi tuni plate for appetizers. Both were fantastic and delicious. The diver scallops came with a side of cauliflower which was very good. The Veal was outstanding that came with wine sauce that I highly recommend. A great surprise came after main entree in what they called pre-dessert which was a chocolate mouse with raspberry sorbet that was just delightful, light, and dreamy. The desserts were good but we were already content from the pre-dessert . The only disappointing dish was at the very beginning with a something called frois de gras or duck liver. But otherwise just an outstanding diner service that would go to again.Special Features:
- Not DissappointedMaryDined on 4/25/2014We went there to celebrate our anniversary. It was everything we expected. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. The pace was perfect. The wine was amazing and the food superb. It is definitely a place for a special occasion or romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/19/2014A unique and sumptuous menu. The sole was the best anywhere. The ram vichyssoise was disappointing but the only mar on delicious food. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Dining for an ExperienceSunMoonDiningDined on 4/12/2014Plume possesses a definitive elegance and an atmosphere where everyone is dedicated to excellence. From the valet, to the greeting at the door, to the service, to the menu & wine list, nothing is left to chance. The reputation of the restaurant is built on anticipating and fulfilling the needs of each individual diner. Chef Chris Jakubiec has created a superb menu of both traditional favorites and seasonal specials. This particular evening we had a foie gras terrine, an octopus carpaccio, and dover sole that was just flown in. We ended with desserts of chocolates and sorbets. The wine list is massive, but there are "Hidden Gems" nestled within each section. I found a Cheveau Pouilly-Fuissé to be an excellent pairing with the sole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyKlapkaDined on 4/8/2014This restaurant aspires to rank with the world's best. It achieves this only in its pricing. We have had the opportunity, just a couple of days later, to compare the kitchen's output with London restaurant with just one Michelin star. The difference was startling. In the simple Amuse Bouche served in London, we found far more complexity and finesse than in any of the dishes we were served in the Plume's Tasting Menu.
- We really enjoyed Plume. TheBobfDined on 4/5/2014We really enjoyed Plume. The food was perfectly prepared, the service was attentive but not intrusive. It was our 30th anniversary which they made special. My wife is gluten free and she was able to enjoy many options. We were really happy with the evening and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious andPescatarianDined on 4/4/2014The food was delicious and the portions were more than ample...if a bit over the top. We were in a side room that had a strong draft which we mentioned, but they were never able to address. The first 20 minutes of the dinner were a bit exhausting as we had a continuous line of staff comiing by: one to welcome us, another to tell us who our server would be, our server, and a wine server. All staff were very polite and courteous.Special Features:
- 5 star fine diningMichaelYDined on 3/29/2014Food of high standard, impeccable service with ambience to match. Fine wine list with rare wines available. Would recommend for a special night out..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ron's Birthday dinnerLoDoggDined on 3/27/2014This was to be a special meal, and boy was it ever! I had arranged for Michael Scaffidi to open a '66 Mouton Rothschild to celebrate Ron's birthday, and not only did he open that wine, but he provided champagne for us to drink, plus a special white wine to pair with my crab risotto. Very memorable indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plume met all expectation!FoodieDined on 3/27/2014"I loved the romantic atmosphere! The food was exceptional and the wine list amazing! I would highly suggest the scallops or filet."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plume is PerfectleniVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had such a sublime evening! My husband and I are "foodies" for many years. We travel the world and find the best restaurants. Plume certainly fits in that category! The food was beautifully presented and exquisitely prepared. we had a wine paring dinner which was very well done. The sommelier was knowledgeable and interesting - he knows his wines! The setting is beautiful - what more can I say except you do have to save up for this special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWorkingmomDined on 3/4/2014Great service, food was amazing. Lots of it, almost too much food. A great special location. Can't wait to go back, and it was a business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel food @ 4x the price!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/26/2014The setting is elegant and service attentive; however, the food is uninspiring. One expects more effort from the chef given the price!Special Features:
- Pairing experience for "pairs"OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2014Went here on a date and it was fabulous. The service was great, they called 2 days ahead of time to confirm and were nothing bu accommodating. One of the only places in DC that the service actually knew something about the wine and champagne and was able to give a GREAT recommendation. Loved the champagne and the food was delicious. All brought out in a very timely fashion, it was an exceptional night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be in Washingtonian Top TengfwareagleVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a simply perfect meal at the Plume. The atmospheric setting, the menu offerings, the execution of the meal itself, and the superb service made it one of the nicest fine dining experiences we have had in quite a while. I had the lamb with a green curry sauce and it was astounding. Wife had the lobster thermador (Plume variation) and it was great. Great selection of wine by the glass for those that don't want an entire bottle before driving home. We have been to 8 of the top ten restaurants on the Washingtonian list, and cannot understand why this gem is not up there. Simply a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014My Fiancé attended the Valentines day pre fox menu and it was fantastic. One of the courses was a scallop and I don't think I will be able to find a scallop that compares in the future. It was cooked to perfection. My only regret was not leaving enough room for the house made chocolates at the end of dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner!!Travellingman48Dined on 2/14/2014The staff provided me and my wife with exceptional service for our anniversary and Valentine's dinner. We were greeted with a courteous smile and welcome from the hostess. Our table was elegant and we were treated like VIPs from beginning to end. Each course was served and the selection was explained in detail; we appreciated that!! Our waiter paid attention to detail to ensure that our needs were met and exceeded; the customer focus and customer service was the best seen to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plume was exceptional. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/14/2014Plume was exceptional. The food and wine were spectacular, absolutely spectacular. The sommelier was also spectacular. The dining room is beautiful and elegant. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant but could use a bit more polish to make the dining experience A+ in every way. But overall the experience is not to be missed. Make sure you are ready to stop some serious money - you certainly pay for this quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was very enjoyable!LexChexVIPDined on 2/8/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our anniversary and I must say, it was quite wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and the staff. The food was pretty good however, not that memorable. I feel like I've had better entrees else wear, but I certainly enjoyed the dessert. One thing that was most certainly memorable, was the price. I think the price pays for the exceptional wait staff and the ambiance. As we left the hotel, we were provided with a parting gift of macaroons with chocolate in the middle which was awesome. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasions!mscott84VIPDined on 2/8/2014I celebrated my 30th birthday here with a loved one and everything was perfect! The restaurant even offers a vegetarian option for the prix fixe menu, and the kitchen took every care to accommodate food allergies at the table. The service was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not fabulousNanaDined on 2/7/2014Great for a private quiet dinner. Service was just outstanding the wine list impressive. The food was good but same traditional dishes. Done just right but nothing innovative. The desserts were presented well tasted good but not divine. Unpretentious place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experience YetAndrianDined on 2/7/2014Had the reservation for 8 PM, came 30 minutes earlier and was seated Promptly. Everyone is very friendly and always happy to answer any question. Food is great. Were celebrating a birthday and put that as a comment in my reservation-the restaurant staff paid attention and treated us accordingly. A bit expensive but surely worth it especially for any special occasion. One thing everyone must know: Parking is complimentary once you dine here.Special Features:
- The Good, Bad, and the BeautifulDoctorDelishDined on 1/31/2014The ambiance of Plume is thrilling, even with the $95 prix fixe menu. But the problems: foie gras terrine had surcharge - and was a bit sour, like refrigerated a bit too long; the Dover Sole had surcharge and, while good, was slightly overcooked; the "Martin's" filet was ordered very rare and came back medium! When sent back they, came out with a rare steak, but the smallest piece imaginable. Not very good for the price, fanfare ("Martin's", after all), or surcharge, making the small piece even more meagre). Two dishes were outstanding: scallops and the crab risotto - both tasty and lovely. The bill was a whopper, multiple surcharges swelling the 190 tab to 240! And that's without ANY drink, tax, or tip.Special Features:
- ExcellencejlomarcialesDined on 1/28/2014I went there for my 8 year anniversary and we were quite impressed not only with the quality of the food but above everything the outstanding service. They made us feel like VIP's but without going over the top. We even got to sit right next to the fire place, which kept us warm from a very chilly day. My evening resulted in much more than what I wanted which was a romantic and intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC Birthday DinnerDocandProfDined on 1/25/2014Was looking for a exceptional restaurant for Amy's birthday and we found it. Incredible evening, down to the Birthday "surprise" for dessert. A dinner we will always remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TOTAL LET-DOWN!scjordiVIPDined on 1/25/2014It is a beautiful space but it goes down from there in our opinion. The 3 course meal is not at all deserving of the prices charged. The only thing I liked was the crab risotto appetizer.....my husbands celery root veloute soup was like dishwater. The main courses were totally awful...the lobster thermadour did not taste fresh and the thai curry duck had no thai flavor to it. To make matters even worse, they messed up the desserts, giving me the Happy Birthday wishes....when it was me treating my husband to celebrate his birthday there. They made no effort to fix the mistake. The only good part of it was the wine. So, for a total of $460, including tip-it was a very expensive birthday let down and major disappointment for me and my husband.
- Elegant Date Nightpingpals22Dined on 1/25/2014My wife and I enjoyed our Birthday dinner celebration and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had! Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food but a Bit PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013If you want to go to a really great place for a special occasion, I would highly recommend Plume. Be prepared for a special experience tasting some unusual food preparation with a wonderful surprise for the pallet. I went there with my fiance for a special New Year's Eve dinner. The price was set for dinner that evening so you had to be prepared to spend a little more than usual to dine there. With tax and tip, the dinner for two came to $533, after enjoying one bottle of moderately-priced wine with the meal. The only complaint I had was that the confirmation email from Plume suggested a parking garage down the street, which we used; then, we found out that they offered free valet parking - something that was not in their email.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayItWasMehVIPDined on 12/28/2013The room is beautiful and very refined. Perfect for a special event, romantic evening, or date night. The food is outstanding. Fresh local ingredients prepared in a straightforward way, but with interesting combinations of ingredients. Nothing too fussy or cute; you won't find silly food towers or "deconstructed" mysteries on your plate. The wine list has great options across a range of prices, including terrific wines by the half bottle. By all means, take advantage of the very friendly and knowledgeable sommelier. I can't recommend Plume highly enough. By comparison, we had dinner the next night at 1789, which is also highly rated, but we found it a trifle disappointing after Plume. (Sloppy service and over-salted food.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2013One has an expectation when dining in a restaurant with this reputation. The food was just good. We expected to be wowed and we weren't. Not worth the money !Special Features:
- Great place for a special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013Although the menu is a bit limited, there is a good range of options and an amazing wine list. My husband's crab risotto appetizer was outstanding; my soup was very good but not special. I had an excellent duck entrée, but the curry sauce lacked character ; my husband really loved his lobster thermador. The lemon profiteroles (and I usually am not a big profiterole fan) were exceptional. The meal was expensive, but a couple of amuse=bouches and chocolates were included. The ambience is lovely, and the service could not be better - friendly but very attentive. (The water glasses never got close to being empty), and the pace of the dinner was perfect. We find that in many restaurants the service is either too slow or too fast. Not here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or Miss, But ExpensiveEricDined on 12/28/2013My wife and I each order from the prix fixe menu with an additional wine pairing. I had octopus carpaccio and sea bass. The carpaccio was thin round slices of the tentacles. There was lots of greens covering the carpaccio. It was just OK, not like a nice beef carpaccio. I made a mistake in ordering sea bass. I was thinking of Chilean sea bass, which is usually light and flakey. This was a thick cut and rather strong tasting. Afterwards, I did some research and discovered that "sea bass" is a term that covers a lot of different species. The next night we ate out at a Greek restaurant in Old Town Alexandria and I ordered barramundi (also called sea bass), which was thin, flakey and declicion. My wife started with a nice meal. No room.Special Features:
- Top Of The ClassNickBDined on 12/27/2013An elegant restaurant in The Jefferson Hotel right down the street from the White House. My spouse and I chose Plume as a "special night out" during a recent stay in DC. Plume should have been excellent, but we were seated at a table for two at the back of the room closest to the kitchen and another door that led into the hotel that had entirely too much commotion and noise coming from the restaurant staff. We felt continuously distracted from the food, which was thoughtfully prepared by Plume's chef. As such, the price of our meal was not commensurate with our overall experience. I think staff and service at restaurants like Plume should be as graceful as they are discreet. BTW, the wine steward knew his stuff and was outstanding!Special Features:
- The service was very poor---weGeorgeDined on 12/25/2013The service was very poor---we waited for over 30 minutes for waitstaff to show up at our table. No recognition given to my food allergy although I had given written notice of such.
- Christmas DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/25/2013Plume's location was conveniently located. We we accommodated despite arriving 30 min before our reservation and greeted by a friendly staff who took our coats. The seating was quiet, intimate, and romantic. The menu was above average for Christmas dinner with a fish, beef, or chicken option. The roasted chicken dinner was outstanding in a truffle mushroom jus. However, I was not impressive with the dessert option which offered apple cobbler which presented more like an apple crisp. The portions were ample leaving a little snack for later. However the staff mixed up the take home bag and I ended up with someone's leftovers. I would go again but I expected more for a Christmas dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2013The Plume and the Jefferson Hotel were both outstanding for our Christmas Dinner...Everything was 5 star and just wonderful. Beautiful place, beautiful service. I think I will make reservations for next year.Special Features:
- DISSAPOINTMENT!DaveDined on 12/25/2013Expected a wonderful XMAS day dinner per all the hype on the internet.....spouse and myself received a poor version of 'local meat' which was fatty and unseasoned......$7 for a cup of dishwater coffee......really poor....grossly overpriced given the quality of the food....a very dissapointing and costly dinner