Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
3201 New Mexico Avenue
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2022377800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerome Sharpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Think of a reason to party and we can make it happen. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our private dining room has its own bar and seats 65. Our patio offers unique outdoor space for entertaining groups up to 200 in the spring, summer, and fall. Please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster, at firstname.lastname@example.org for menus and details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts a variety of wine dinners, beer dinners, an annual Oktoberfest, and more. We can offer the perfect venue for either personal or corporate entertaining, and accommodate groups of all sizes. For more private party information contact our events team at 202.706.7326 or email our Event Director Amy Foster at email@example.com.
Sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
A word from Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
Come enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine, casual sophistication, and generous hospitality! For over ten years we have been the quintessential neighborhood restaurant in Washington DC. Chef Geoff’s offers everything from fresh day boat scallops, seared tuna and steaks to great burgers, pizza pies, salads and sandwiches in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Chef Geoff's also features some of DC's best outdoor dining. Enjoy our phenomenal happy hour specials like 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizzas or celebrate Half Price Wine Night every Monday. Enjoy Sunday Brunch with classics like Eggs Chesapeake or Steak and Eggs. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.) reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (164)great for outdoor dining (159)great for lunch (99)great for brunch (91)fit for foodies (73)good for groups (61)kid-friendly (54)vibrant bar scene (37)special occasion (35)notable wine list (20)hot spot (16)romantic (13)scenic view (10)late-night find (7)Show More
- We had the "hot potato chip"OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/2/2008We had the "hot potato chip" appetizer, which was served cold. This was a bit of a disappointment. Our waiter basically abandoned us after dropping off the entrees, and we had to wait forever for the check.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/1/2008The food was fantastic and they have a great drink/bar selection. Its nice to have a range of dinner options. Our service was sub par but I don't think it reflects poorly on the restaurant. Just on our server.Special Features:
- It was extremely noisy atOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/28/2008It was extremely noisy at our original table, but the waitstaff was very friendly and quickly moved us to another table even though things were very busy in the restaurant and there were several people waiting. Our second table was quieter and much more pleasant. My fiance ordered the Tuna entree and found it too spicy.Special Features:
- We had reservation for 2 atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008We had reservation for 2 at 7 pm (Friday, 03/28/08). We get there 6.50 pm. The hostess told us to wait couple more minutes because she said they had to set the table. We've been waited for 15 minutes, and all three parties came behind us (about 3 minutes, 5 minutes and 10 minutes behind us) all got sit. We asked again the hostess, we came earlier than them ( two of them were couple and the other one was group) why they got sit first. She said because the parties made 6.45 pm reservation. Is that your restaurant policy, to sit people who made reservation earlier get sit first eventhough they come late ???? and we have to wait until they all get sit ???? Overall, food was good, service was great.Special Features:
- could not honor rez on time;OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2008could not honor rez on time; kept waiting over half hour for tableSpecial Features:
- More than 1/2 hour late inDavidDined on 3/28/2008More than 1/2 hour late in seating 7 pm reservation. Staff had a great attitude and communicated to us about delays. Server was very pleasant but weeded. Bar took waaaay too long to get drinks. Something like 15 minutes for the first drink to come to the table. Second round was only slightly faster. Caesar salad apps were swimming in dressing. Entrees were all good. It's a nice place, in the neighborhood and always a good buzz. We've had better success with food and service at Lia's, though.Special Features:
- Food was excellent, drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008Food was excellent, drinks were tasty, server Stephanie was awesome! My one disapointment was my seating arrangement. I was at your restaurant at 7:00p on a Friday night with a friend, I did not expect to be completely surrounded by couples/families with children. I am not exaggerating, we were at a two-person table against the wall, and the tables on both sides, and the two behind us all had loud noisy children. Unfortunately, when I go out to un-wind from a long week at work, I do not expect that type of atmosphere at this type of restaurant. I will not be back. Sorry.
- Nice surprise! Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/28/2008Nice surprise! Food and service were great with good suggestions by the staff for choices. Bar side was busy on Friday night-noisy but nut overpowering . Disappointed happy hour drink prices did not apply in dining room. Have recommended this restaurant to friends already.Special Features:
- Service was very uninspiredOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/27/2008Service was very uninspired including one stop at the table to inquire about the meal, but leaving before getting an answer. BBQ chicken pizza was awful; ate two pieces hoping the second would be better than the first (It wasn't!). Waiter never asked why 80% of the pizza was still on the plate. We frequently visit this restaurant, but are unlikely to continue given this experience. Open Table records will reflect multiple visits in the past year or so, but there has been a general decline in what once was one of our favorite establishments.
- live in the neighborhood -OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/26/2008live in the neighborhood - Chef Geoff's is always a great place to grab a bite - good food and half price wine on mondays!Special Features:
- We were met by the hostessesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/23/2008We were met by the hostesses who were very pleasant, they even sat us early as we arrived about 50 minutes early for our reservation. Our waiter was a disappointment in the fact that as soon as we arrived at our table, he came to take our drink order and we were not quite ready, so he stated that he would get our water as he had a large order at another table to attend to. My first impression was not good. We have eaten at other Chef Geoff restaurants and always had a pleasant experience. Also, you should note that Opentable lists this restaurant as Chef Geoff's Georgetown and it is not located near Georgetown at all but near American University/Tenley Town. This should be corrected as it is misleading when making reservations.
- The restaurant was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008The restaurant was very good. The food was great, we visited during Sunday Brunch. A Jazz ensemble played romantic music as we ate. Brunch included a coffee cake with a serving of straberries, pineapples,and a slice of Kiwi fruit. The main fare was very good and the portions were large. No skimpy sized servings here. The staff was courteous and promt, from the hostess at the front,to the waiter,and the buss boy. This was my first visit to Cher Geoff's and it shall be my Sunday Brunch location for a long time.Special Features:
- Very busy night and 20 minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2008Very busy night and 20 minute wait for table. But the hostess was very pleasant and the seating seemed orderly. The food was exceptional. The wine list was above average with good selections at different price points. Our server was very busy, but her 'second' picked up the slack and we felt the overall service was professional, and attentive in a minimalist sort of way (which worked out quite well for us that night). This restaurant was what we were hoping for when we found it on OpenTable, and exceeded our expectations. It was our first visit and I expect to be back soon.Special Features:
- We arrived 5 mins before ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008We arrived 5 mins before our reservation and had to wait 30 mins before being seated. The portion of the salmon entree was ubelievably small, considering my husband was expecting a reasonable slice. My scallops were too salty, "the serrano wrap" was too overbearing you can hardly taste the dish. The tables were on top of each other and we were stuck in a corner for two and had to strategically squeeze around our side of our table so as not to intrude the next table while they were dining. We are not coming back to this location, however we are curious and might try Brunch at the Capitol Hill location, or Lia's at Chevy Chase for a final rating.Special Features:
- The food was great, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008The food was great, but the restaurant is way too loud. I had to keep leaning in and aksing my husband to repeat himself. I think they most have it packed to the legal limit in there. Too many tables. Too tight -- not enough room.Special Features:
- We had to wait about halfOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2008We had to wait about half an hour for a table despite having a reservation. The menu has been updated and reorganized a bit, and I liked the old one better. Nevertheless, Chef Geoff's is always a great dining experience -- creative, delicious food with an ambiance that is elegant yet casual.Special Features:
- Chef Geoff's is always a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2008Chef Geoff's is always a nice experience. This place is a favorite of my entire family.Special Features:
- Consistently great place toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2008Consistently great place to dine. Menu changes through the year. Wonderful outdoor dining. Off the beaten path. Easy parking. Comfortable to eat at bar.Special Features:
- Great American food. GoodFirozeVIPDined on 3/21/2008Great American food. Good service and unpretentious food. Have eaten there often. There need to have more tables to eliminate the wait for a table when taking fixed price reservations.Special Features:
- Our waitress was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2008Our waitress was fantastic! Her name was Stephanie -- we came in Friday, March 21st at 6:30.Special Features:
- Wine list tends to be somewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/21/2008Wine list tends to be somewhat esoteric and some are considerably overpriced (three times retail!); more wines could be on the by the glass list. Menu has nice variety of choices.Special Features:
- We are regulars at Chef Geoff'sKateInDCVIPDined on 3/19/2008We are regulars at Chef Geoff's because it is a friendly neighborhood restaurant with tasty food, some good wine selections and cheerful servers. My husband loves the burgers! We run into friends there and I like that it is a mix of AU students, seniors who come by for dinner regularly, couples on dates and families (though occasionally there is the small child noise problem!). Periodic menu changes keep things fresh for us regulars and some of the specials have been terrific.Special Features:
- It is what it is. You canOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/19/2008It is what it is. You can get reliably good and tasty food at a reasonable price. A "neighborhood gem" might be a reach, but it is reliable and good. Ambiance is fine, not amazing. Service is usually good, the occasion you are asking about the waiter lost our order and someone else came over to admit this and ask us for it again. They didn't offer a free drink or anything on account of this, as I thought they might, but ok. Sometimes the bar is way too crowded and too noisy for old fogies like me. (Apparently Geoff's fears about the end to smoking being the end of his profitable bar were misplaced. I am so glad the smoke is gone.)Special Features:
- My favorite on a regular basis.SuduVIPDined on 3/18/2008My favorite on a regular basis. I only wish they would open one in Potomac Village!Special Features:
- I really enjoy Chef Geoff'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/17/2008I really enjoy Chef Geoff's but this wasn't the best visit there. We were seated at a small table right along a wall on the other side of tables in the bar. It feels too close to the people sitting at the bar tables. As it turns out, it was St Patrick's Day and the people at the bar table were pretty rowdy and disruptive. Might be good to try to move the tables somehow so you aren't right on top of the other people. Food and service was great though.Special Features:
- A very good restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/16/2008A very good restaurant with a very nice beer menu. It is local so we go several times a year.Special Features:
- This was the first time ILoodaVIPDined on 3/16/2008This was the first time I was some what disappointed in the menu. I thought the brunch menu was a little too fancy - maybe one plain thing needed to be added - like an omlette. My niece had scrambled eggs, potatoes and toast from the ala carte menu and her meal was more expensive than ours, from the menu. Liked the complimentary first course of fruit and homemade bread. Love the jazz, and always enjoy the environment whether I am eating outdoors on the patio or indoors.Special Features:
- My husband and I dine at ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2008My husband and I dine at Chef Geoff's (both locations) more often than any other restaurant. We always enjoy it. The food is very good and quite reasonably priced. The service is attentive and efficient without being overly solicitous. I love the selection of wines by the glass and their selection of beers is also very wide. We are still depressed that Nichole Ferrigno has left Chef Geoff's (although we certainly understand why), because we adored her gingerbread and miss tasting it! I have recommended Chef Geoff's to many friends and colleagues, and even did a review for our company newsletter. We are planning a return to Lia's very soon, and look forward to many more visits to Chef Geoff's.Special Features:
- I'd been to the downtown locationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/15/2008I'd been to the downtown location many times before, but this was my first visit to the uptown location. The service was lovely and I really enjoyed my meal. (Roasted salmon on a bed of lentils was even better than it sounded in the description.) I had a very early reservation (5:30pm) and the place was already starting to fill up. The "Sunset Special" price fixe menu might have something to do with that - it's an amazing deal. By the time I left, it was packed, and service had slowed down somewhat, but still good.Special Features:
- Made the reservation underOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008Made the reservation under the impression that they served brunch on Saturdays - unfortunately that was not the case. The lunch menu is good but I would recommend that they offer the brunch menu. A large table of people made the same mistake I did and actually left when they saw there was not any brunch being served.
- A very cute place with niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2008A very cute place with nice outdoor seating. Food is good, but a little pricey.Special Features:
- Too close to other customersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2008Too close to other customers when the restaurant is busy.
- Expect innovation in the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/20/2007Expect innovation in the food here. It's imaginitive and creative - I had a great time here. Even something like a BLT, you've never had one as amazing as this.Special Features:
- Sit at the bar - the drinkslindseybear31Dined on 11/28/2007Sit at the bar - the drinks are great and the bar food is the best in DC. Go for Mon/ Tues all-night happy hours, they may have changed, but that's what is was last I visited - cheap(er) beer/ wine, delicious burgers w/ fries for $5, and artisan pizzas ($7) that are perfect for sharing. The bar area will be rowdy and crowded as this is the closest and best area bar for AU students, but there are tables if the bar area isn't your thing. We've noticed that service is sometimes slower at the tables, but the food is great. Enjoy!Special Features: