The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781)780-5722 x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (147)neighborhood gem (143)special occasion (98)vibrant bar scene (87)hot spot (84)good for groups (67)notable wine list (57)romantic (38)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (10)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- One of my Favorite RestaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Everything on the menu is great...from the starters (Tuna Tartare and Lobster Tacos to die for) to the entrees (Cod is a favorite), burgers, and desserts (Sticky Toffee Pudding!!). The cocktail list...featuring locally produced and housemade products...rivals any NYC or Boston bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014If your looking for a quieter dining experience request a table in the room away from the bar. Bar room too noisy to hold a comfortable conversation.Special Features:
- Nice week night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Went late on a Thursday evening. Place was busy. Creative cocktail list - excellent use of local artisans liquor. Wine list was good, but not a lot of choices for glasses. Food was cooked really well, nice presentation, and prompt service. Had the lobster scampi special and asked for light garlic. They did a great job keeping the sauce flavorful with lemon and other seasonings. Partner has the steak frites. Spot on cooking for the meat and the fired were crisp with a nice rosemary scent. Dessert was am awesome toffee pudding. Sat by the door and it was a little cool - but other than that the experience was great.Special Features:
- A perfect night....LJKHDined on 5/28/2014We go on a regular basis because the food and service are excellent. Every experience has exceeded out expectations. The food is exceptional! You must go to see this local gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodEnjoying2dayDined on 5/25/2014We had heard about this restaurant many times and finally put it on our schedule to go. After tasting the appetizers salads and main course we were amazed we hadn't tried this sooner. The food is phenomenal! Starting with the sweet butter for the bread all the way through the main course it was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014Many of my friends raved about The Blue Ox so we finally went. Everything was delicious from the lobster tacos to a duck special appetizer to the main courses of steak, chicken and mine which was seared tuna served over a delicious risotto with pistachios. Also, the drinks were very good! I would definitely go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too busy too fastChefjimmiejimDined on 5/25/2014this was my second trip to Blue Ox. The first was spectacular, food, service everything was great. I left thinking that Blue Ox had to be one of the best restaurants in the Boston area. This last visit sort of cooled my opinion a little. Perhaps they are getting too busy too fast (a common problem for good restaurants) or perhaps it was just an "off day" but the experience though still good was not "knock your socks off" good like my first visit. I would still recommend it to friends but before I go over the top about it, I will have to go back again to see which Blue Ox is the real Blue Ox.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthshoremanDined on 5/20/2014If not for the prices being too high I would've given this a 5 star review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1548 reviews are from the The Blue Ox reviews archive.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014Our second visit to the Blue Ox was just as great as our first. The Crab Cake and the Tuna Tartare apps are amazing. The Pork Tenderloin and the Salmon were both cooked to perfection. We will continue to visit, it is highly recommended.Special Features:
- never disappoints123tDined on 5/18/2014Always a great meal.we are spoiled coming here and compare all other places to this standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat!JeanDined on 5/18/2014You don't have to go to Boston to find a great restaurant! The Blue Ox is a happening! I have been several times now, and each time the meal has been outstanding! Try the lobster tacos! Delicious!Special Features:
- BLUE OX GREAT AS ALWAYSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014Always a great meal at Blue Ox started with Tuna Tartare, then the Goat cheese ravioli, finished with cheese cake for dessert. Matt, Charlie and the rest of staff all do a great job!!! Cant wait to go back !!!Special Features:
- Too much noiseWorldlyDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014When you have to shout across the table to your dinnermates, a restaurant has crossed the line from an "energetic" noise level to just too much noise to have an enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, that's the Blue Ox these days. Combined with notably skimpy drink pours and spotty service, it's just not worth the food here anymore.Special Features:
- Lobster Taco craving, but...SMacDined on 5/16/2014I saw a great review of this restaurant and their lobster tacos on a daytime morning show while visiting Boston and decided to dine here. However, when I arrived, they were sold out of the tacos and burgers O_O. It was most likely a result of the daytime shout out, but I was disappointed as I drove 30 minutes for the tacos. I chose the chowder and wings instead, both of which were great. Maybe next time I can give a higher rating as I feel they should have planned accordingly for the extra business. Service was good and the manager gave me his name so the next time I visited I could call ahead and he'd put some lobster aside for me. Hope he'll remember my name. ;)Special Features:
- Blue Ox ExperiencekitkatDined on 5/16/2014Our table was ready upon arrival. Wait staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. Our waitress Dawn was an absolute doll! Funny, knowledgeable, quick and attentive without being intrusive! Food is fabulous and cooked to perfection! We will continue to frequent the Blue Ox!Special Features:
- Great food.StellaDined on 5/15/2014Great food. The only thing I would change is the seating arrangements. Very odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good serviceEDevoDined on 5/13/2014Love the food offerings at the Blue Ox and the wait staff services excellent. Love that I can ask the waitress to pick the wine that will go best with my meal, and then get a great selection. Now that's a great service and a great experineceSpecial Features:
- Disappointing!mytymomDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I took my 90 year old mother to the Blue Ox on Mother's Day. I requested a quiet booth and told them we would be celebrating her birthday. We were escorted to a very NOISY TABLE in the bar, and were squished into a corner. It took about 10 minutes for anyone to come over and acknowledge us. I ordered a crabcake, which was grossly overpriced, and inedible. It was filled with a small amount of flked crab, and extremely spicey. I rated the food good because my mother and husband enjoyed their meals. They had the chicken and salmon. For the amount of money you pay at the Blue Ox you could go to any fine restaurant and have a classy, pleasant experience, and not feel as if you paid double for an average meal.
- Mother's DayjoeydDined on 5/11/2014The food, as always, is wonderful and our server Matthew is a gem! The young woman who seated us, lovely, and dressed so nicely. The only negative is the noise level. It was particularly troublesome on Mother's Day. We were at a table for two, in front of the door in the side room, where it was really difficult to hear each other. The acoustics at the Blue Ox are not great, but when it is full to capacity, it is especially troublesome. I had wanted to be seated in one of the windows two seaters, but understand the need to join them to enable larger parties for that day. Love the food and the service, just difficult to have a conversation especially if seated in the middle of the room where the sound is not buffered/absorbed by the walls....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful surpriseporkchopDined on 5/2/2014Food, atmosphere, and service were wonderful. Everyone had a great meal. Definitely get an order of the spicy pickles to take home. Can't wait to get back and try some more things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SprinkleCakeDined on 5/2/2014Delicious cuisine (filet, scallops & cod), nice vibe, extremely noisy, exceedingly long wait for entrees, only one restroom and it's unisex. Meals were so good we may give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food in LynnAmicaDined on 4/30/2014Highly recommended by my associate, this was our second time back. The food was ample, beautifully presented and creative. The pork tenderloin was outstanding and we substituted The Blue Ox Fries in place of the sweet potato. Their fries are crisp and the herbs that garnish the fries make them irresistable! The evening special of seared scallops over risotto did not disappoint. Service was casual, friendly and impeccable. Definitely a place to return to time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at the OxOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014The Ox came highly recommended by some friends and we were very happy overall. The bar staff were very friendly and accommodating and took time to answer any questions about the various drinks that were available. Our waiter was very attentive and quick to answer questions and offer suggestions. The food, overall was good. I had the special ribeye and it was a bit fattier than expected but still quite tasty. Wife had the pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe and it too was very good. All in all, a great experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hype to horror!ChewandreviewDined on 4/26/2014It's been two days...I still hear myself think! The noise level was off the carts! The chart above would not correctly tke my input. My wife and I met old friends for dinner. Barely talked to each other. Went to Blue Ox to try their famous hamburgers everyone was talking about...7:45, waiter says "we are our of chicken wings...and hamburgers!" Really? Was this their first Saturday night in business? Forced then to order over priced entrees. To sum it up...noisy, tightly packed, over priced, and over rated!Special Features:
- Oysters and Burgers!CarinDined on 4/26/2014The Blue Ox always delivers! The Duxbury oysters were perfect! The Sin Burger was decadent and still great the next day!Special Features:
- Nicce Time Great FoodToftheyearDined on 4/24/2014It was great getting together with friends. Long overdue get together.\ The scallop special was fabulous. Had to have the waiter take the leftovers away before I put myself in a food coma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue OxSpiceboyDined on 4/23/2014(4.5) ~ Very Good Food & Service. We Love that you get Great Food in a casual atmosphere...meaning you can wear nice jeans!;)Special Features:
- Disappointing againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/20141 out of 3 visits have been good. When we went this time we were really looking forward to having the Sin Burger again. When we tried to place our order the server told us that he was out of regular sized burgers. We told him our whole reason for coming was to have this burger. He did not apologize or offer us anything. He did tell us they did have the sliders (2 mini burgers), so I went with that. They did not compare. We did get some delicious chicken wings for an appetizer, but I was surprised when I got the bill and they were $12 for just 5 wings. My wife ended up with a bland pear salad which I thought was also overpriced at $12. Our bill ended up being $70 for two sliders, 5 wings, a salad, one beer, and a glass of Sangria.
- City of Sin's Sinfully Good EatsawaciDined on 4/16/2014I don't know the origins of "Lynn, Lynn City of Sin" (it's really a diamond in the rough city), but Lynn certainly has a sinfully good restaurant in The Blue Ox Restaurant. On a quiet street with really nothing much else on it, it's the kind of place you have to KNOW to go to. Based on guest traffic on any given evening, it's clear those in the know are never disappointed. High points: interesting wine list and nice bar; Island Creek oysters; a creative menu offering that changes often and gives folks the opportunity to go for a higher-end entree or a reasonably priced (with no sacrifice on taste) burger; consistently OUTSTANDING dishes no matter what you order. Downsides: ALMOST, but they didn't quite nail the overall ambience.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/16/2014No other restaurant around even come close to the Blue Ox. The food and service are fantastic- absolute top quality provisions are used and it shows! We look forward to going every time and rave about it the whole way home- love it!Special Features:
- Always greatPaulVIPDined on 4/15/2014Had another fabulous meal. Congrats on the Ox's fifth anniversary.Special Features:
- Burgers to die for!CouplereviewersDined on 4/13/2014Went twice in 1 week. food is delicious, waitress was good. I felt bad she had to recite a 8 minute list of specials, but she did a good job remembering all of them by hart! Will definitely be returning for a 3rd time!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014The food was exceptional. We had the tuna, oysters and calamari for apps, the pork dinner was so delicious I had to try and recreate it the next night at home. Our server Effie, I believe was her name, was exceptional. She was professional, real, and friendly and everyone enjoyed her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerkoalaloverDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I heard about the great steaks at The Blue Ox from a newspaper review. I ordered the cold smoked and whiskey barrel soaked sirloin; my husband got the rib eye. Both were cooked to perfection as we had ordered them and the service was exceptional. Great selection of beer on tap and an above average wine list. Their chocolate mousse dessert was wonderful as well. We will be back! We heard they have some of the best burgers around too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat PerformanceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014We always enjoy the food here. However, this time my meal was not quite as enjoyable. I had the Lobster Scampi special. In addition to being bland, it was too "lemony". Everyone else enjoyed their dinners. Clearly, this will not stop me from returning but will go back to ordering my old faves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at the Blue Oxatt71Dined on 4/12/2014Delicious and unique cocktails - especially the Friar's Vow with egg whites. Super fresh oysters. Fabulous pork tenderloin. The service is attentive and professional. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner for a smallsosoDined on 4/11/2014Great for dinner for a small group. The food was very good - Local and creative. The service was amazing. Bartender was very knowledgable and helpful. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceBfly86Dined on 4/11/2014My second experience at the Blue Ox was wonderful! The service was great, the food was divine and the drinks were delicious. We even got serenaded with some opera, when one of the servers sang Happy Birthday to a fellow guest! What a treat! I would definitely recommend the Blue Ox to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great Service!!VermonterDined on 4/11/2014Definitely request a table in the side room...a bit less noisy. There were a number of large parties: one had 17!! We noticed a lot of children! The bar was packed. The oysters were amazing!! And the frites were the best I'd ever had!!! I also was impressed with the dessert wine list!! I'd definitely go back! The restaurant uses the banks parking lot next door...which was full! So we parked in the mall parking lot across the street. I suggest getting a bit more creative with your desserts. I'm always looking forward to something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impression...alimarqDined on 4/10/2014Server Dawn is a pro. Helpful with answers to questions and personal recommendations based on our tastes. Food was superb. Crab cake app. was outstanding. Crusty bread with whipped maple butter was to die for. Absolutely will return to Blue Ox!Special Features: