The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
120 West 51st Street, Time Life Bldg.
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2122460154x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Peter Menard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today. Can accommodate up to 35 guests per private dining room.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)notable wine list (135)romantic (112)good for groups (106)fit for foodies (105)great for lunch (76)vibrant bar scene (50)neighborhood gem (39)hot spot (29)late-night find (20)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Terrible food and serviceMediocritybewareDined on 8/10/2014The entire meal was mediocre and disappointing. I ordered a cocktail which clearly contained a sparse pour of vodka. The Caesar salad was littered with brown romaine lettuce. The filet was delicious - should you expect anything less from such a prestigious steakhouse?! Oddly, no freshly ground pepper was offered during the meal. The cheesecake had a distinct fuel taste and looked as though someone had attempted to caramelize it like a creme brûlée. I have frequented the Boston location but will now think twice after this meal at their NYC location.
- Fantastic American restaurantUESfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous pre-theatre dinner at Capital Grille. The restaurant is spacious with high ceilings and beautiful décor. The tables were spaced far enough apart so that noise didn't carry over from our neighbors. The wait-staff was friendly, professional and extremely helpful. We loved each of our selections. The Caesar salad and field green salads were light and refreshing. The steak was superb and the flourless chocolate espresso cake and crème brulee were exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent!Cas9VIPDined on 8/9/2014Capitol Grille serves delicious food with great service in a relaxed atmosphere. The proximity of the restaurant to the theater district makes it convenient to all midtown attractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceAlanKVIPDined on 8/9/2014Everything we ordered was amazing! I highly recommend the Alaskan King Crab Legs....awesome. If you decide to go to the bar, ask Jeremy what he recommends...he is always spot on. If you have the opportunity to work with Jenette K. I would, as she is really friendly and attentive. Jenette went above and beyond to ensure our dinner experience was great. Thanks very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Too noise, not a quite place. Maybe not go to there anymoreSpecial Features:
- Best Steak everwenonly1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Love this place, the steak was terrific, great wine choices, the service was spetacular. Will go back in a heart beat, the only problem is that I have hard time going to other steak house...Special Features:
- awesome restaurant week menuhungrynurseDined on 8/8/2014Came for restaurant week. Didn't disappoint at all. Had a great time. Food is consistently good.I would come even though its no restaurant week. Its pricey but they give you quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The service was perfect, the food very good. As we were sitting in a separate room, it was pretty quiet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJudithVIPDined on 8/7/2014The steaks never disappoint and are always done to perfection. Prices are very reasonable for food and wine of this quality.Special Features:
- Bring a flashlightMaryDined on 8/7/2014It was 'ok' but with so many restaurants in NYC, I won't go back. I read personal reviews of this Capital Grille off of the Yelp Ap. I was convinced I would not be disappointed by the sirloin steak! Well I was. When it arrived I thought it was too big but after so much gristle and fat it really wasn't that big but it was tough. Should have gone with the filet. Green beans were string. Mashed potatoes were soupy. We were there for Restaurant Week so thankfully the price was less but still with the addition of coffee and a glass of wine each it came in at around $110 before tip. Also it was way too dark in that restaurant I was forced to feel like an old lady pulling out the iPhone to use the flashlight to read the menu. Oh well.Special Features:
- Pre-theaterNeighborhoodfoodieDined on 8/7/2014Great location if you want a yummy meal before going to the theater. Food was delicious and service was aware of our timing, even when we weren't. It was nice that they were accommodating! Loved the steak and the cheesecake and left happy. I will be going back!Special Features:
- Dependably GoodSparkyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a lovely lunch - our meal was delicious, fast, and the wait staff was attentive without being overbearing - just like always.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitorSloMoDined on 8/6/2014The service is very slow. I noticed that two of the waiters were discussing as to who was going to service our group. We were a table of 9 people and we had to wait 30 minutes before one of the waiters came over to take our drink order. It was another 20 minutes before our food order was taken. The food was good, the waiter was friendly, but the service was too slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!BarbaraBDined on 8/6/2014Took advantage of Restaurant Week menu and CG's Generous Pour event. Both proved to be winners. My husband loved his Kona Sirloin and the wines I sampled from the Generous Pour offerings were all good. Even though the restaurant was packed (early on a Wednesday night), the service was excellent...loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and summer wineCharlieSigVIPDined on 8/6/2014The service was excellent....very attentive. The Restaurant Week menu was terrific...we both had perfectly cooked filet mignons. But the real deal here is the summer wine offering which, according to the staff, is available every year. For $25, you get unlimited pours of seven select wines, all of which were very good. In addition, we were celebrating my birthday, which was acknowledged with a card and a candle on my dessert.Special Features:
- AAAAADined on 8/5/2014totally enjoyable...excellent food and service..waitor totally knolwledgable about food and offered assistance helpful on wine selection.,Special Features:
- Don't have too much expectations...Foodielover14Dined on 8/5/2014This place of course, was beautiful inside and out. With unique and classical kitchen to their large collections of wine, this place makes you feel as if you are a King/queen. Sadly, we went here for restaurant week and the server was snobby. He didn't show much respect for us until we paid for the check and he didn't really make us feel welcomed either. The good however, was something we were highly expecting but the burger I ordered was way too salty. The cheese layered on top was basically coated with salt. The dessert was something good though. As I had the cheesecake, it looked amazing but yet slightly too sweet. Wouldn't really be thrilled in coming again.Special Features:
- Amazing food and ServiceNYwildcritterVIPDined on 8/5/2014This is a restaurant I want to go to every day, if they were closer. Brought a group of 7: first they let me get seated when the other 6 haven't arrived yet. then they served appetizers immediately, and took orders as guests arrived. then they gave us 2 large free cakes for those who had the birthdays, all unexpected. We love the restaurant and their steak and cheesecakes are amazing!Special Features:
- I'm a returning customerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014I really enjoy eating at the Capital Grille. I find that the food and service are always exceptional. We'll be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD!ChelaDined on 8/1/2014First time coming went on my anniversary n they even decorated the table for us ! Not to much the mash n awesome green beans ! Steak well prepared !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014very nice steak and very nice grill- when I cut it up, it was central red medium rare as request! Same to the grill salmon as well. Totally surprised by the wonder cheesecake- with cream burlee like looking and covered, flurry texture and not too greasy, just right about there! also surprised and appreciated by the last minute bday arrangement request with the appt! wonderful restaurant week experience!:)Special Features:
- Generous Wine Pour & Restaurant WkBKDivaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Capital Grille offers top prime cuts cooked to perfection as ordered. Dined during restaurant week and the Generous Pour event. The best of both worlds offering a 3-course meal and seven flights of red/white wines. From past dining, I noticed that servings are generous depending on your waiter as some can be a little heavy handed and THAT'S always welcomed. My 8oz filet mignon was tender as expected and well seasoned topped with five jumbo grilled shrimp.The macaroni with lobster is an added indulgence to sample filled with creamy cheese sauce and topped with buttery bread crumbs. Dinner was capped with their rich and dense flourless chocolate cake accompanied with fresh berries. An epicurean feast indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodBob1VIPDined on 8/1/2014We have eaten here several times, always during restaurant week, other times it is too pricey. Food and service have always been Outstanding. The sommer wine tasting for $25 is a real treat.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dinner.ElizabethDined on 8/1/2014Restaurant Week dinner: The main dining room was dark and crowded. I asked for a table in a quiet, well-lighted area and was brought to the wine room.. It was quiet, with one table occupied by a couple, and only a dozen tables in the wood-paneled, softly lit room. A large framed portrait of Ethel Merman was centered on a wall of paintings with a 19th century English feel to them. The waiter was attentive and friendly, but not obtrusive. The $38 pre-fixe Restaurant Week menu offered several good choices in each category. We ordered a green salad to start, then the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and green beans served for the table. Desserts were a divine cheesecake and a chocolate mousse, which we shared. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BooWhoDined on 8/1/2014the bar is a nice place for a relaxed lunch, however, running out of cheesecake at 200pm? strange.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Awesome lunch. NYC week was a great way to try this restaurant. Will go backSpecial Features:
- I'll come back againdesignsDined on 8/1/2014I came here for NYC Restaurant Week. The quality of food and desert is awesome and unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerYveeeDined on 7/31/2014This place was in a good location. Food was very good. Service was excellent and the waiter was very friendly and help us pick bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST TRY!!missnickiDined on 7/31/2014This restaurant had a very fancy feel to it and it made me feel like I was important or something! The food was amazing. I had the "14 oz. bone-in dry aged sirloin" and it was the juiciest steak I ever had since I asked for it to be "medium"! I also had the clam chowder which was to die for and had the cheesecake for dessert! The dessert was my favorite part! Our waitress, Lauren, was AWESOME! I thought maybe we'd get a waiter with a dry personality, but she made the experience even better than I had expected!Special Features:
- Delish!NYCfoodieDined on 7/31/2014I took my mom out for her first #NYCrestaurantweek dining experience at the Capital Grille. She absolutely loved it. She is still raving about how wonderful her meal and the service was. The shrimps melted in our mouths were scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale SteakhouseCarmelDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I were impressed by the ambiance. Great food. Steak was delicious. Service was great. When we left the bar and after work crowd was boisterous! Bar was small but packed with the afterwork crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceNYMAMADined on 7/31/2014We picked Capital Grill for restaurant week lunch because it's across the street from our office and we often use this place for business lunch/dinner for executives. So we want to try this time for ourselves. They put us in very nice classic decor small room with oil portraiture where is very quiet and cozy, it felt private. Usually the selection and quality of food for restaurant week is not so great but their food was excellent. I ordered cheese burger and my friends got the steak salad for entree. Both were high quality and pretty big portion. All staff were very friendly and professional. All of us really had a good lunch time and so satisfied. We will definitely come back here for dinner next time.Special Features:
- Flgirl14Dined on 7/30/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner with free champagne and very attentive service. We even got a free photo from our server at the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant week a successeatsoutalotVIPDined on 7/30/2014Visited during resturant week for the special menu. Everything was great, service efficient and out the door. I know we came on a promotional menu but when serving desert, you could inquire if we wanted coffee or something else. We had to flag the server down since desert came and no one asked if we need anything else. Overall a good experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Deedine1130Dined on 7/30/2014The food was amazing, our server Julien was great and very knowledgeable. The rest of the staff made us feel like celebrities. Kudos to Capital Grille and I will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre Dining a Real TreatrevelDined on 7/29/2014The Capital Grille outpost at the Time Life Building is an impressive place, and we -- having dined there several times -- have certainly not seen the entire space. Our favorite is the early seating for the Pre-Theatre menu, which we consider a delicious and affordable treat. Just misses Outstanding rating (barely) because, as the space fill up, the noise level increases until communication with tablemates -- and even the server --becomes difficult. Otherwise it is a meal we look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NycJKVIPDined on 7/29/2014Already a big fan of Capital Grille; this location went right to the bottom of my list. Our waiter was fantastic and food was what is to be expected. Front of the house is the problem; even when calling me to confirm the reservation, the woman was quite curt; we had to wait for our table, although not that long, it was past our reservation time and no apologies offered. No smiles. Not courteous at all. And called me by my last name first, 2 times, quite loudly though we were standing right in front of her the entire time with no one else waiting, this all in front of 4 of our clients. If you're going to cater to biz professionals; please make sure to train your staff on how to be the same.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I had a wonderful experience and enjoyed excellent food.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2014I've been to all 3 capital grille locations and service each time was phenomenal. Very friendly and knowledgeable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week tripTime4teaDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant was recommended, and we went as a group of 3 during restaurant week following this recommendation. The wine menu is fairly extensive with a good range of prices. The food was excellent although pricy if not on a deal. The waitress was a little over attentive, bordering on intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.