138 North Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-548-1288x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Prime Rib
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 703-548-1288x
A word from Gadsby's Tavern
Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gadsby's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (56)romantic (53)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (23)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Cool place bad foodcyh111Dined on 6/15/2014The place is historical and the servers even dress up as people from the 1700's. We were so excited. But when we got our food, it was horrible. So not worth any price.Special Features:
- KathVIPDined on 6/14/2014Talk about bringing back good memories Gadsby's does it for me. Eighteen years ago I visited this restaurant with friends while in DC for a meeting and loved the food and the ambiance so much that when my husband and I decided to visit Old Town Alexandria this year I had to visit this place again. From the appetizers to the desserts everything was perfectly prepared. We enjoyed the fried oysters and wedge salad for starters and had the prime rib and lobster, crab, and shrimp risotto entrees. The service was impeccable and the staff was very accommodating The old colonial charm of the establishment intrigued us and took us back to another time. We highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return whenever possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial DaysMarkVIPDined on 6/14/2014Atmosphere is wonderfully colonial. They offer colonial style dinners that offers a taste of the past.Special Features:
- HistorianlovestoeatDined on 6/14/2014We've been going to Gadsby's for thirty years, and I marvel at the presence of John Hall, staff and the great food which is makes it a superb environment!Special Features:
- Taste AlexandreaMTHREHDined on 6/13/2014This little find was Amazing. One block off of King to North, take the tour of Gadsby's Tavern/ Hotel first to set the stage for your meal. Much history of Alexandrea is related to this local tavern/ restaurant. The food was reasonable in price and excellent in taste ( best burgers my kids had while on Vacation) I had the crab cakes which were also excellent.Special Features:
- History with your DinnersunsetdonVIPDined on 6/6/2014This interesting restaurant is actually an original tavern from 1770. It was a favorite of George Washington and Patrick Henry and Washington celebrated many birthdays here. It's very authentic and even has a small museum adjoining the tavern. But I bet Washington and his crowd did not feast on food and wine as good as we had. The wine selection, although small, is very good. And the food was also very good. I had roast beef; she had the jumbo crab cakes. I highly recommend you visit this restaurant. You can find better food in Old Town Alexandria, but it won't have the history to go with it.Special Features:
- Great Historic VenueAMarksDined on 5/29/2014There were many reasons we enjoyed this restaurant. The 18th century early American architecture along with elegantly prepared food made the night pleasurable. Our group had a great time laughing and enjoying the unique food and setting. We had an entire room to ourselves on the Thursday night that we went. Knowing that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both frequented Gadsby's Tavern made the experience that much more special.Special Features:
- Went for the costumes..MousheleDined on 5/29/2014.... But ended up with an inattentive waiter and no costume. Would have rated service lower but waiter from neighboring table made a valiant attempt to both fill in and try to get our waiter to do his job.Special Features:
- Historical dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014We found this restaurant through a reccomendation from a friend who was there before. He said the food was excellent . It was. I had lamb chops that were to die for. Also the service was very good. You could also go to the museum they have which featured things from the 1700's because George Washington stayed there and gave his last military review there also .Special Features:
- Gadsby's TavernQuincyDined on 5/23/2014Very good food - charming and quaint atmosphere Actor who portrayed John Douglas Hall was enjoyable and Made our evening. He made our anniversary even more special by Singing a special song just to us - brought tears to my eyes. Our only complaint was lack of personality of our waitress. Was very cold and only offered us coffee after we had dessert. Would definitely go back and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedFantasticDined on 5/18/2014We had two referrals for Gadsby's Tavern and wanted to give it a try. We had family in from out of town and thought it would be educational and a nice meal. You could tell the floor was old, older table and chairs, servers were in kindof a costume. Nothing on the menu to tell you anything about the place, nothing on the walls except pictures of ducks, flowers, etc. It was fun trying the different beers. Other selections were limited. We went for Sunday lunch - food was good - but not great. There are so many other great places to eat I will probably not be back here.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere wonderful eveningDate4uDined on 5/16/2014Great date night with exceptional food and wonderful staff!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great foodJetJockDined on 5/16/2014We expected a nice meal, but my prime rib and my wife's salmon were both near perfect! We came for the experience and left marveling about the food. A great night altogether.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pye excellent, crab cakes less soCorieDined on 5/13/2014Gentlemen's Pye and bread was absolutely delicious. Ambiance is nice and servers dress in costumes representative of George Washington's time. A little slow to close bill. Lump crab cakes were disappointing, otherwise excellent. Group to a little noisy, not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go back in timeTABXXXXXDined on 5/11/2014I love Gadsby's because the entire experience, take me back in time. I've taken my sweetheart there a couple of times, and we've both loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodsallyDined on 5/11/2014We expected ambience in this historic restaurant, but the excellent food was a great surprise. While the table are VERY close together, we did not feel overly squished. Really enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014This was our first visit and on Mother's day which was very nice. The ambience and charm add to the delicious food making it an all around wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatquiltchickDined on 5/10/2014We were recommended Gadsbys because of the old town colonial feel and the servers being in character - much like the taverns in Williamsburg, which we love. We were somewhat disappointed when our server was not in "character", as we had been told. We even saw one male server who wasn't dressed in colonial style. Although, a man later came in who was very much in character and proceeded to talk with everyone in our room as if is was back in colonial times. Then he went from table to table and carried on a conversation. He was excellent and very entertaining. The food was OK - not worth the price. I got duck with was tough and my husband got salmon, which he said was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like the brunchBeulahBoyDined on 5/10/2014We went there for dinner.The fried oysters and melted brie with raspberry appetizers were excellent. The entres were good(not great) but pricy. The staff was excellent and attentive. We have been there for brunch before and enjoyed that better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Eatery with So-So FoodgjetsonDined on 5/10/2014The main reason to go here is for the history. After all, George Washington ate here, and it's neat to see the 18th century dining rooms and the servers in period costumes. That said, the food and service are only so-so. Our server was pleasant enough, but didn't really say much beyond "are you ready to order?" and "are you done with that?" The food - we tried several appetizers as well as the filet, the prime rib, the medallions of beef, and the duck (Washington's favorite) -- was OK at best. The beef was swimming in brown sauce and the duck was barely warm and quite rubbery. The wine list is short and overpriced. Most guests seemed to be tourists, which is probably just as well as I can't see many people coming back.Special Features:
- Dinner May 9, 2014Kath1154Dined on 5/9/2014Our wait staff verged on being obnoxious. He constantly circled our table very quickly and was over anxious to grab our dishes for each course before we finished eating. The restaurant only had 3 tables filled and no one was waiting. He actually ruined our visit and our meal by rushing us out the door. We felt so uncomfortable we went somewhere else for coffee and dessert. Exact opposite of our last visit to Gadsby's which we enjoyed immensely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lacks in the amenitiesIEatThingsDined on 5/5/2014The food (prime rib) was amazing as was our server. Sitting in the second dining hall at the window was a bitter-sweet experience as it was nice to have a view of the neighborhood, but all the a/c vents are by the windows which caused a chilly draft as we ate. The furniture is meant to look the part of the old tavern, except it plays the part as well. My chair was very worn in and the seat had its center caved in. A quick look around revealed a lot of chairs in the room had the same issue. Additionally, it was fortunate we went on a light evening since there appears to be only one bathroom for a restaurant with 3 dining rooms. And by that I mean a single one person bathroom. There was a line of 4 people waiting when I tried to use it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- history brings us back hereanthony1susanDined on 4/30/2014The history and cozy ambiance of this colonial era tavern makes it ideal for special occasions. The cuisine offers good choices, and the food can be superb. There is unfortunately a lack of consistency when it comes to food and service, so one has to hope it's a good night for the chef and staff.Special Features:
- Screen waiters betterSlowrunnerDined on 4/26/2014Our food was delicious, the setting terrific, strolling character actor lots of fun, but our server seemed to be in the wrong line of work. We and his other tables felt neglected in having our orders taken and any food or beverage served, he over filled and spilled water glasses, dropped utensils on patrons, forgot to put in or deliver drink orders, and made himself scarce and hard to flag down to attend to our concerns. Wanted to order coffee and dessert, but were afraid it would have taken another hour or more to have it served. Seemed such a shame that the management didn't either screen or train their waiter better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good eveningdadsdontroqDined on 4/26/2014Food not worth traveling a great distance for, but good ingredients, superbly prepared. Wine list limited but good selections. Gentleman in period costume and conversation was a great deal of fun. Service needs work.Special Features:
- A bit of a disappointmentSeeTheUSADined on 4/26/2014I have looked forward to visiting Gadsby's for a number of years. This trip to DC offered the opportunity. Our waitress was either inexperienced or disinterested. Service was poor, menu was just okay. A wedding had their services taxed so that they could not adequately handle the dining guests. I did not find the experience at all what I expected. Best part was the historical significance of the building and a stand up colonial comedian who was very quick and funny.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere/limited vegFedTriDinerDined on 4/26/2014Went for lunch. Very nice historic location and basic pub-type food, with a children's menu ("Jefferson Mac & Cheese" and the like). Very limited for vegetarians.Special Features:
- Fun tavern in Old Town AlexandriakallistraDined on 4/24/2014We had a fun visit to Gadsby's Tavern. Our waiter was super top-notch, one of the best, and the acting staff there was great. We also appreciated the birthday wishes for my grandmother there and her new "boyfriend". :) She said it was a memory she'll keep forever and that she's never smiled or laughed so hard.Special Features:
- LuvGoodFoodLuvGoodFoodVIPDined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday crunch was over when we arrived for our 6:00 reservation. Lovely atmosphere. The tavern was frequented by several Presidents over the years. Loved it! Waiters in colonial garb added to the ambiance. Had a fixed price four course meal for Easter. Food was very good. Duck, which is difficult to get just right was just right. Prices were surprisingly reasonable for a downtown Alexandria restaurant. Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on historyBoracayKeithVIPDined on 4/20/2014The location has fantastic history but the food was so bad I thought the British had won the war of independence. The staff could have compensated with love of the building but none of them seem bothered and at times seemed annoyed by having to wear the period. I food was dry and disguised with too much sauce. Recommend a drink to look at the building but not dinner.
- Disappointing Easter Dinnerfamilyof6Dined on 4/20/2014The duck dish was advertised as "half a duckling" but really was two drumsticks covered in so much fat that there was hardly any meat underneath. The fried oysters were 5 deep-fried pieces thrown on a small plate with barely enough cocktail sauce for one piece. We were afraid to move in our chairs, they were so rickety, the roaming musicians that used to be part of the service here has been replaced with piped in music. The walls are stained, the paint is chipping. At $55 a person I would have expected much better. So sad to see such a historic place fall under such bad management. They are clearly cutting corners wherever they can. Do not recommend eating here!
- Gadsby Easter Birthday BrunchNjoylifeDined on 4/20/2014What a nice pleasant dining venue on the occasion of Easter Sunday and my wife's birthday. Our adult children joined us to celebrate their mother's bithday. Our entree choices were all excellent. Thankfully we all choose seperate entrees so that we might share. The food was excellent, the atmosphere relaxed and pleasant and the background noise level was next to nonexistant. It made for a pleasant dining experience in which one could carry on a conversation in normal voice. This was our second visit and certainly not our last.Special Features:
- Nice dinner spot in Old TownRhi21Dined on 4/19/2014My husband and I dinner at Gadsby’s Tavern with another couple. It was our first time eating here and overall everyone was pleased with the experience and enjoyed the food. Some of the items were ordered and liked were the meatloaf, the George Washington Favorite (duck with corn pudding and scalloped potatoes), and the lamb dish. We also enjoyed the peanut soup and the ham biscuits (they were delicious!). The ambiance was lovely and created a feel of dining during the time period of George Washington. The service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Extra SaltyMonicaDined on 4/18/2014The food was mediocre. Our table of four each ordered something different and all dishes had been way over salted. The atmosphere is exceptional, and for that reason, we may bring out of town visitors there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014The atmosphere was fun, the food was great, and the service was friendly.Special Features:
- Bad Service, Great AmbienceDCFoodieDined on 4/13/2014My cousin and I went here, since we knew it was a place that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson frequented while they were alive. The ambience was great, but our server wasn't friendly or very attentive. That was made up by the older gentleman dressed in period clothing who stopped by our table a few times to talk to us and then serenaded us with a song. He was definitely the highlight of the experience!Special Features:
- Colonial charm at its bestGerriDined on 4/12/2014Whenever we visit the Wash DC area, we enjoy staying in Alexandria, VA because of its colonial charm. Gadsby's Tavern is the epitome of colonial charm from the ambiance and period furnishings to the period-dressed waiters. The food was very good especially the grilled shrimp appetizer and the filet mignon. Our only disappointment, however, was the crab cake appetizer which did not taste like crab at all but rather a very bland filler. We chose the crab cakes with the thought of Gadsby's being so close to MD that the crab cakes would surely be superb. Sadly, this wasn't the case. Other than this, however, our dining experience was very pleasant and we will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and historicAzayDined on 4/12/2014Charming, historic, and fun atmosphere. The food was great and service with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experience!lovetoeatDined on 4/12/2014The food at Gadsby's was spectacular. The grilled shrimp were seasoned and cooked perfectly. I ordered the salmon entree and tried my friend's rack of lamb. Both entrees were delicious. I had the Italian Pinot Grigio, which accompanied my seafood meal really well. The ambience, food and service were great. We were lucky to have outdoor seating on their patio. We will definitely go back to Gadsby's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this!WondererDined on 4/10/2014Historic location and great food! Wonderful service! Make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.