722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: 7035480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)special occasion (65)romantic (64)fit for foodies (54)notable wine list (35)good for groups (30)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Quite an experienceJosephDined on 4/7/2014Had a prime table at the front window. Every course was outstanding! Services was delightful and friendly. We live in Arkansas, but when we come to this area on business or pleasure, we always try to have another outstanding dining experience here. Highly recommend you can also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/6/2014They were still on the winter menu, I was looking for something lighter but still good. Overall a nice restaurant with efficient staff.Special Features:
- ExcellentLouwhoDined on 4/5/2014Stopped in again while in town for the long weekend visiting a friend. Made a reservation, got a nice table, had an excellent meal and a great bottle of wine. Service was top notch. We usually split a dinner and salad and it is never an issue and the kitchen does it for us which is great. We always get a bottle of wine and then treat ourselves to deserts and coffee. Was a really nice dinner out. I'm in town every month and we try to hit Geranio at least every other time. It's a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots going on in this twoLeahVIPDined on 4/5/2014Lots going on in this two story converted townhouse/resto. Normally we've had great food but the linguine with mussels and clams had no flavor whatsoever. Stick to their risotto or entrees, not the pastas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot the musselsdoc200Dined on 4/4/2014The wait staff forgot our mussels appetizer, so they brought it late and didn't charge. Thank you. Then, the head waiter brought us all (party of four) an extra glass of wine, no charge. They turned a mistake into an opportunity for good service, and we appreciated it. Thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Client LunchAshleydDined on 4/2/2014I chose this restaurant for a lunch where we were taking clients out, and it was beyond perfect. Everyone loved their food and our server was great. Everyone gave great feedback, and I get to choose the restaurants from now on. The lobster risotto was perfect, and it was a good amount of lobster. The butternut squash soup is very trendy right now, but also deliciously smooth and well seasoned. Portion sizes were enough to be full but didn't seem outrageous. It's definitely a finish your plate and still have just enough room for a bite of an appetizer or dessert. I will definitely be coming back, both with clients and by myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 17th Wedding AnniversaryNYQbanDined on 3/29/2014For the past few years, we've been celebrating our wedding anniversary dinner with Geranio. The waiters know us. The food is great and we never leave disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place You Can Always Count On2winersVIPDined on 3/28/2014What a consistently excellent neighborhood dining experience. The trendy spots might come and go, but Geranio goes on being a wonderful spot for outstanding service, excellent food and cozy ambience. The food ranges from outstanding steak (with truffle mashed potatoes) to brilliant mushroom risotto - something for everyone. They have an excellent wine list, but also a wonderful corkage program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableMaryRDined on 3/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Geranios. The waiter was very polite and attentive. The meal was delicious. This was our favorite restaurant during our stay in Alexandria and we definitely will return when we are in town in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday disappointmentHankDined on 3/27/2014We received a twenty percent birthday discount for an entrée by email. There were no complaints with our garden salads. My wife's ribeye steak had the taste and texture of a much cheaper cut of beef. It was dense and chewy. I tried a couple of pieces and it was very tough and tasteless. However, my shrimp and risotto were good even though the shrimp was somewhat overcooked. We both had berries for desert which were fresh and tasty. The atmosphere is very romantic and the service was good. The house Chianti was excellent. We have eaten in this restaurant several times over the last few years and this is the first time we have been disappointed.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner for 10GKellyDined on 3/22/2014All of our food was fantastic and the service was great. Geranio's is a consistently great place to eat. The service was great even though they were full. Thanks for a great birthday dinner!
- Dining at GeranioEatsinotDined on 3/21/2014The salmon was good not outstanding and my date's tuna steak was extremely fishy-not good . Salads were ok, dessert and coffee and service very good. Wine selection and cost very reasonable. All in all a rather average meal at an above average price. Value and quality of meal a little disappointing.Special Features:
- Weekend DinnerKingsFanDined on 3/15/2014We had a fabulous time our first two visits to Geranio. This past weekend, March 15, we had a reservations for four. I was so disappointed, where do I start... (1) We had to ask for drinks after waiting for 30 minutes; (2) the gentleman came to our table to sit down our bread basket, then changed his mind. It took us 40 minutes from the time we sat down to get our bread basket; (3) We had to ask for an appetizer after 40 minutes, keeping in mind that our food order still had/has not been taken; and (4) it took the waiter almost 60 minutes to take our order. This was after I had to ask him to take our order. Very disappointed in the service, and let the manager know on our way out the door.Special Features:
- Good to Very GoodLarsDined on 3/13/2014Good service, food good to excellent, and atmosphere wonderful, especially in front of the fireplace!Special Features:
- Order the lobster risottoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014And the shrimp linguini. A great find that we wish we had found sooner! Certainly will be making reservations for special nights in the future. Great service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Food MissOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Generally, food here is very good ; however I ordered the nightly special "Short Ribs" and they were more like well done meat loaf.. Everything else was up to standard very good but this is a dish best left off their menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningCasseroleDined on 3/4/2014We are from Charleston, SC and were meeting the daughter (and husband) of old friends. We hadn't seen Lizzy since she was a child (25+ years ago!) and Geranio was her choice. It was the perfect choice. The ambience is warm, relaxed. Our waiter was fantastic. We asked him to bring us a selection of appetizers (his choice) for all of us to share and he happily obliged. Our food was excellent (actually, between my husband and me, 4.5 stars). Service was impeccable. We were not rushed, nor did it lag. Elizabeth and her husband had never eaten at Geranio but had heard good things about it. They live in Alexandria and I'm sure will be back.Special Features:
- Really wonderful. Food wasFalconDined on 3/1/2014Really wonderful. Food was great. Service excellent. Dinner by a roaring fireplace on a cold winter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian spotrrr5703Dined on 2/28/2014Good risotto and decent prices. A nice atmosphere and good service. If you are looking for a non-chain Italian restaurant in Old Town, this is a good spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best choice!EnriqueDined on 2/28/2014Geranio is one of my favorite restaurants in Old Town. Food, service, wines, ambiance, everything is excellent. You may think all these good things cost a lot, but not, prices are very very reasonable, and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably nice, great service.LABVDined on 2/26/2014I always have enjoyed this restaurant. The food is reliably good, service is kind and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Risotto Cooked Right!GianniDined on 2/22/2014The son of a northern Italian mother knows how risotto should be cooked; most restaurants fail the test. Not Geranio. The arborio rice in their lobster risotto was slightly al dente, nicely flavored and most important without added the cream, fillers, etc. that are often added to create the (false) impression of creaminess. Cooked right, arborio rice is creamy on its own; Geranio's chef understands that. That, along with my wife's nicely cooked salmon entree and the two fruity, affordable Sangiovese selections at the top of the wine-by-the-glass red wine list, are the elements of the "Outstanding" score I give to Geranio's food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereDrjaneDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant is know for their risotto and it did not disappoint. The lobster and salmon risotto entries were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seated against a wall withMABandelDined on 2/20/2014Seated against a wall with no view of fireplace and behind a group that included a retired Congressman that encroached on our having traveled all day, we decided to finish okay meal (so so wine by the glass, good salmon and oddly sliced after cooking pork loin over good risotto, and than passable strawberries and zabayon) and move on for after dinner drinks. There was another large group (with a fireplace view) across the room. The large groups seemed to be having a fine time. This restaurant may be best for local, repeat customers, rather than out-of-towners looking for a one time experience.
- Always OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2014We have been going to Geranio for years and are never disappointed by the food or service. Always an outstanding dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fair with mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Food was fair with mediocre service. Expensive with small portions.
- Meh to PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's Day dinner. Menu was prix fixe. Food okay, but not great. Wifey's steak was tough and she gave up after a couple of bites. Note to self: don't order steak at an Italian restaurant. Server nearly insisted on giving us dessert before our entrees. I actually had to raise my voice to get the server to not give us dessert and to bring our entrees instead. Table rocked back and forth due and needed bracing. Getting the bill then took a lifetime. Too many other much better places to eat in this area than to ever go here again.
- The perfect place for dinnerJandMDined on 2/14/2014The perfect place for dinner for two trying to escape a busy day and enjoy a quiet, romantic evening. The food was fabulous. The wine list was extensive, but we stuck to the house wine which was excellent. The wait staff was attentive without being underfoot. We plan on going back soon.Special Features:
- Great dinnerAlbertDined on 2/7/2014Wonderful experience from the moment my wife and I walked in the door. Attentive wait staff food/drinks were brought out quickly. Food was delicious. Wonderful place that never disappoints. Main place to go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrific-- relaxingPattyDined on 2/1/2014Always terrific-- relaxing and not overly noisy-- I can actually talk to my husband! We love the food the fireplace and fact we can walk there. Great experience!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.RollieDined on 2/1/2014Excellent food and service. Only problem was the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Town FavoriteCherylDined on 2/1/2014We go here often and never have been disappointed in either the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our book group meets hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/28/2014Our book group meets here about 6 times a year. They are always welcoming and attentive enough to meet our needs but also allow us time to talk. Food is delicious - free range chicken breast on porcini mushroom risotto was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Italian restaurant.HollyNoelleVIPDined on 1/26/2014My good friends and I came in for Restaurant Week and were not disappointed! This place has a beautiful menu and wonderful service. We especially loved the risotto and bruschetta. Great wine, excellent service - don't miss Geranio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service lacking...KknitzDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I enjoyed all of the dishes during our Restaurant Week experience at Geranio, however, the service left something to be desired. It is not that the service was bad, it was more or less uninformative. Our waiter did not welcome us, tell us his name, make any comments about food or wine suggetions, etc. He more or less just came to our table to take our order and clear plates. He even droppped the check off without asking if we would like an after dinner drink or more wine. Even with the food being good, I would most likely not return here (to spend well over $100) due to the service.Special Features:
- Amazing risotto by the fireplaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2014I had the wild mushroom risotto and my date had the lobster risotto - both were absolutely amazing! Friendly service at a great table right by the fireplace and with a view of King Street. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Very classy place.TCoBarbadosDined on 1/25/2014We went on a Saturday evening for the restraurant week 4-course pre-fix menu, which had three to four generous options per course. Wait staff: very professional. The food was very tasty. An impressive extensive wine list with a great assortment of affordable imported bottles (we enjoyed an excelled Italian red that was under $30) as well as the more pricey onces. We ate upstairs, which was pretty quiet and private at 6:15, until the tables filled up around 7pm, and there was more of a buzz. Located across from some very posh boutiques on the busy King street - very nice. We left our date night supper very happy and full.Special Features:
- Great spot in Old Town AlexandriaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/23/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Old Town. It's got a wonderful cozy atmostphere with a fireplace and lots of brick. They always serve warm fresh bread to start your meal. The food is wonderful, and the service is always great. I took my team to lunch there to thank them for their hard work for last year, and as usual, the food and service didn't disappoint. The calamari appetizer was crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. The oven roasted free range chicken has a delicious crisyp skin and the mushroom risotto that accompanied was great. My teammates all enjoyed their food as well. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTataDined on 1/22/2014Atmosphere was pretty nice, right on King St and food/wine was spectacular and pretty good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Folta Family celebrates a BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/21/2014Great seats next to the fireplace with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.