722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: 7035480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)romantic (66)special occasion (65)fit for foodies (54)notable wine list (35)good for groups (31)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- LandLDined on 7/31/2014Our first time there in several years. Happy to see the standards still are high - a fine meal.Special Features:
- Geranio....mehOldTownEatsDined on 7/28/2014Had a group of seven. It was one of the only places where I could get a reservation. Waiter was brusque and rude and difficult to understand. Appetizer salads extremely small and nothing special. Food was just okay - nothing special. Rockfish was a bit fishy but cooked to the right temperature; made me think it wasn't super fresh. Risotto was a pile of gummy mush. Desserts overpriced and not special. They need to do better with all the food competition. Stuck in the 80s. It took a long time for the waiter to bring back our credit cards. Ambience is fine, food came out on time and the group had a good time, but I would have gone to Taverna Cretekou in a minute if it were open (closed on Mondays).Special Features:
- YummyKingStreetDuoDined on 7/18/2014I don't get out for lunch as often as I'd like, and when I do, I prefer a place like Geranio's --- nice menu selections and a quiet environment so I can hear my lunch partner without anyone raising their voices. I recommend this place often. It has never disappointed!Special Features:
- Alwys a perfect experienceOldTownOfficiandoDined on 7/14/2014My husband and I have enjoyed Geranio's for years. We took our children (10 and 12) with us to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We also had been there on Christmas Eve with our boys. The staff as always, were incredibly attentive and the food was perfect. I had the lobster risotto (my favorite) and my husband enjoyed the veal scallopini. We have yet to enjoy a less than impeccable experience at Geranio's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014This is a wonderful place for a romantic dinner for two who enjoy great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rissotto - Ooo La LaCaptainYumDined on 7/9/2014Found this on tripadvisor. What a fantastic meal. I had the crab lump pasta with asparagus, which was very good. But my wife had scallops and risotto which blew us away. Fantastic. My only regret of the evening is not ordering what she did! Great wine selection and excellent and happy service. Bread was warm too, which is a nice touch. Highly recommend. And they give you 10% discount if you get there and order before 7pm, which is nice for a premium meal like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only averageDinnerDowntownDCDined on 7/2/2014We were in a lovely quite spot by the window, and the wait staff was very nice. However, annoyed by a fly throughout the meal. Ribs, crab ravioli and lamb osso bucco all were good. However, bruchetta was like a small pizza with lots of cheese and no diced tomatoes; salad (too much vinegar in dressing) and risotto not very good. Disappointing overall.
- Nice meal in Old Town AlexandriaSophdineDined on 6/20/2014We chose Geranio as we had eaten there many years ago, but have since moved out of the area. We were not disappointed on our return. We were seated promptly, and we liked the many choices in each category on the menu. Our food was quite good and the service was excellent. The timing between courses was perfect and our wine was replenished accordingly.Special Features:
- Interesting Italian menuRosereviewDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant had a rustic, homely feel. What initially attracted us was the interesting menu which was not your typical run-of-the-mill Italian fare. We wanted to take our time and the waiter was very accommodating. One negative was that both of the ports that my husband ordered tasted like the bottles had been open a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ItalianwhockDined on 6/12/2014This is a very pleasant restaurant with just above average Italian food. Very attentive but not overbearing service.
- Spot on for the 4 of us !2AlexandriaDined on 6/11/2014From getting the reservation right (for a specific table) to the service of a great lunch meal, they did things right. I had told them that the 4 of us wanted to discuss some business and they were not intrusive but attentative. We had 3 kinds of risotto meals and the scallop dish and they were perfect. Easy to make this a come back place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming AtmosphereAYDRunnerDined on 6/8/2014I've been three times with a group of 6 or more and have always had a very nice meal and time with friends. My family took me there for my birthday this year and I was pleasantly surprised that even the kids ages 10-12-13 enjoyed it too. There were six of us and we had really good services and food. The Risotto was awesome and so was everything else. Highly Recommended.Special Features:
- Great RisottoBowieBillVIPDined on 6/6/2014We love Geranio! It is reasonably priced and you receive a great value. We go here especially for the risotto and we have never been disappointed. On our visit on June 6 we had salmon risotto and lobster risotto. Yum! Service is always great too.
- New items, same great tastefoodloversDined on 5/29/2014My wife had the rockfish special and it was delicious! My veal over spatzel was a treat as well. Couple these with a bottle of fairly priced wine from their quality list and you have a meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good execuation2AlexandriaDined on 5/29/2014Service was attentative and the 2 lunch dishes were great. I like the wine list as there is something for everyone. The warm spinach salad was very good. Both of our entrees were served piping hot as they should be. Good for locals and visitors. Cheers !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/27/2014Good setting, great service, and superb food -- all at a very reasonable value including the wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuceeDined on 5/24/2014Great food -mnwe arrived about a half hour earlier than our reservation and were seated immediately. prices were good - food was very good...servie was excellent. It is aloud in the restaurant as the dining area is small - but I will definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for leisurely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We went early so we could catch an 8pm show. Had a lovely dinner & conversation with friends. Not rushed out after coffee. I'll go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious; great serviceHodgepodgeDined on 5/20/2014This was my group's first visit. We were seated on the lower level. Everyone commented that their meals were delicious. The service was prompt and attentive. The only slight negative was the tight squeeze of the space and the noise level. When I discovered there was an upstairs, I wished I had asked for a seat up there as it was very quiet due to the fact that only a couple tables are up there. Since we had a table for 10, the table configuration probably caused the tight squeeze and caused the waiters to squeeze between chairs at our table and another table across the path from us. Probably under normal arrangements, this is not an issue. Back to the food....we all enjoyed things and will be back. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/19/2014Our book group comes here once a month. They are always so accommodating to our needs, like separate checks. I had the seafood linguine special – it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1074 reviews are from the Geranio reviews archive.
- DisappointingDisappointedduoDined on 5/16/2014We specifically asked if the seafood was fresh and was assured it was, however , in our opinion it was not at all. The risotto was very good. The osso buco was good but the portion small. The overall restaurant needed a good cleaning and had a musty smell possibly from water infiltration.
- Great graduation dinnerCJfromBedfordDined on 5/16/2014We just celebrated our daughter's MBA graduation at Geronio's, and it was great. Gnocchi and warm spinach salad appetizers were great, the bruschetta appetizer ok. All dinners were great--veal scallopini, tuna, and crab pasta. Very filling, but still had room for berries & cream and sorbet. Third time here, and we'll keep going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special night outKssdocVIPDined on 5/11/2014This is my favorite restaurant for romantic dinners. Cozy and charming. The wild mushroom risotto is amazing-and addictive!Special Features:
- Never AgainreallyDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and kids here for Mother's Day. The menus were filthy to start out with; they alienated us from the rest of the customers and sat us right under the air condition vent. Then I ordered the Lobster Bisque it was not at all what it should have looked or tasted like. It was brown like gravy and it tasted like gravy. My daughter found a hair on her bruschetta the waiter stood there for 10 minutes debating where the hair was, then he took it back to the back came out and said, “No one in back could find the hair I swear to God." How unprofessional to come back to the table to still argue over a piece of bread with cheese on it. That is not good customer service at all. I would never take my family back there.
- Great foodRonCDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyable...great for a special occasion. Italian trained chef with great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice But Not GreatThadVIPDined on 5/10/2014We were able to secure a 6 PM Saturday evening reservation with only one hour's notice. The room was empty until after 7 PM. It is an attractive, warm room with brick walls. Most of the tables-for-two are very small but we were able to switch to a bigger one. The service was fine. The food took a while to come out even though the kitchen was not taxed. And the food was tasty - but not spectacular. We both had a veal scallopine dish which was presented nicely but too complicated with several stacked elements, and under seasoned. Our tab, with tax & tip included, plus two glasses of wine and no dessert was $85. There are several better choices for Italian food within just a few blocks.Special Features:
- Old World Italian ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014We've dined at Genario's several times and every time the food has been extremely good. The atmosphere is very warm and the service very good. Great value for your money.Special Features:
- PerrDined on 5/3/2014Fabulous experience - one of my favorite places to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May 2ndBellaDined on 5/2/2014We had a wonderful time and never felt rushed. The food was superb and the wine was excellent. The waiter was friendly and helpful. It was everything you want from a restaurant.Special Features:
- Yummo!thePrinceOfTheUniverseDined on 4/27/2014I had the scallops and they were perfectly cooked. The desserts were amazing! The dark chocolate mousse was my favorite. I would eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paint by numbers "Italian" foodHernanDined on 4/26/2014The food does not even sort of begin to warrant the prices. The chicken strips on my linguini could have literally come from one of those Perdue pre-made chicken strips in a bag things that you buy when you're feeling lazy and making quesadillas. The sauce tasted like Alfredo from a jar. There was zero complexity, nothing to tell you anything other than this was cooked by a twenty something in his first apartment. Even the bread was meh. This would be excusable at Panera, but the prices were decidedly not Panera levels. My wife's food was also mediocre. Just because the waiter asks you whether your food is 'bene' it doesn't mean they serve good Italian. I will never return. It's like one of those Ramsey's kitchen nightmares, pre-makeover.
- GeranioOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/26/2014ask to be seated downstairs. Upstairs is either too cold or too hot.Special Features:
- Very nicebaileyDined on 4/25/2014We were entertaining out-of-town guests, and we were trying Geranio for the first time. The restaurant was accessible by Metro, and street parking was available even on a Friday night. The food, service and ambience were all good, which means that we could not have done better. The Lobster Risotto was a hit, and the Osso Bucco was good; the wine was just right, and the price for the dinner was reasonable. It was a great evening.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2014We returned to Geranio for our wedding anniversary, having been there last at Christmas. Our food was excellent and the service was, too. We had joined the Geranio mailing list and got 20% off our meal, which would have been well worth the full price. Many diners arrived shortly after their 6 p.m.opening and enjoyed a 10% discount if they ordered before 7 p.m. A couple with a baby was seated in a quiet alcove. All in all, the staff worked hard to satisfy everyone, and certainly did an excellent job.Special Features:
- Wonderful!DianaDined on 4/19/2014We come here for special occasions and always enjoy the food and service.Special Features:
- Amazing RisottoOhio2DCVIPDined on 4/19/2014I made a reservation based on positive Open Table and Yelp reviews, and I wasn't disappointed. The lobster risotto was incredible - the pieces of lobster on top were just a bonus, the risotto by itself was flavorful. The tables were a bit close together (when someone at the next table stood up to leave, their chair ran into my friend's) and it's a little noisy. But not unbearable. Definitely worth it for the food.Special Features:
- SubparChrisDined on 4/12/2014We entered the restaurant and upon saying I had a reservation they did not even look to see instead I was shown the table by some gentleman who could not even speak English when I tried talking to him. We were seated at the most skyward table in front of a fireplace that wasn't even going connected to another table. It was extremely awkward and there were several tables available. Finally someone comes to fill our water and while doing so he pours water all over my foot and leg. When I say something to him he just laughed at me while looking at it then walked away! After 10 minutes of clearly waiting a server comes over and in all honesty he was very generous and knowledgable. Food was ok but not worth going back for by any means!Special Features:
- Another wonderful eveningStitchDined on 4/12/2014Geranio's remain's one of our favorite restaurants that we save for special occasions, e.g., anniversary, birthday, etc. We love the romantic feel and decor, the wait staff is very attentive, and the food is always top notch. On a crowded evening the noise level can be a little high, but that's largely because the tables are somewhat close - a necessary evil for a very popular restaurant. For my wife's birthday we ordered the special, a mussel/shrimp/lobster & pasta dish, and it was most tasty. We have been there several times, and have always been very pleased with food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite an experienceJosephDined on 4/7/2014Had a prime table at the front window. Every course was outstanding! Services was delightful and friendly. We live in Arkansas, but when we come to this area on business or pleasure, we always try to have another outstanding dining experience here. Highly recommend you can also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/6/2014They were still on the winter menu, I was looking for something lighter but still good. Overall a nice restaurant with efficient staff.Special Features: