Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (114)fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (82)romantic (58)special occasion (54)good for groups (43)notable wine list (38)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Incredible Meal and ExperienceSkyjaxVIPDined on 6/9/2014This was our first visit to Napa, and anyone that has been knows there is no shortage of great and even legendary restaurants. All I can say is that this place has every right to be pretentious, and is far from it. The menu. Limited, fresh, and inventive - the way it should be. I have come to hate looking at multiple page menus. But even with just 5 or 6 entree choices, we really did have a hard time choosing. We each had a different salad, and both were - again - inventive and fresh. For entrees we did the pasta and lamb, and both were amazing. Even better than the menu? The ambiance. 5-star food, but you feel like you are in the chef's own back yard, at his invitation. Perfect in every way. Book it, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply well executedIntoGreatDiningVIPDined on 6/8/2014In a world where things are complicated enough, it's nice to savor a good simple piece of swordfish cooked perfectly. There is not enough good fresh seafood in the town of Sonoma, so we order it when we can. I'm not a great fan of bok choy but it was an appropriate complement and did not distract from the swordfish. The staff is sweet and very attentive with lovely smiles and a great attitude that is oh so pleasantly Sonoma.Special Features:
- Dining AlfrescoRustymom64VIPDined on 6/7/2014We love to dine out on the patio. We had guests for the weekend and everyone enjoyed their meal on the patio.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerHiddenJemDined on 6/4/2014The wait was well worth it to sit outside in the patio. We loved everything we ordered and the waiters were really friendly. If we are ever back in Sonoma, we will certainly eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TopsHardtoplsDined on 6/2/2014Special and creative fare with perfect service on a disappointingly unattractive patio. Interior table would have been a better choice if the night had not been so lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tilltilate Your PalateenigmaVIPDined on 6/1/2014If you crave wonderful tastes from fresh produce and top suppliers in all categories hie yourself and your friends to Harvest Moon Cafe. The food is not precious, it's not cute, it doesn't foam and the ingredients are pronounceable. Servers are caring, helpful and professional. After a meal here you know you have eaten very well, and had an experience that begs to be repeated.Special Features:
- All around wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014First time at this restaurant for myself and my relatives. The food was terrific and our wine pick was perfect. Their menu is small-ish but not a negative at all since the dishes were all seasonal, super fresh, and well-balanced with something great for everyone. Service was fantastic. I got stuck in traffic and was significantly late but my uncle and aunt who had been seated enjoyed a leisurely bottle of wine and appetizer while waiting and were not pressured or rushed by the staff at all. It was a pleasant experience to be greeted warmly when arriving by the staff and to be allowed to take our time with the menu and our meal. Ambiance was also very charming out on the patio. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Nino69NinoDined on 5/29/2014This was my first time to Harvest Moon and it was quite good. The menu we were told by our server always changes and everything is cooked from scratch using ingredients from local farms which is very evident in the taste of mine and my colleagues meal. Wine list is a hidden gem of small wineries that produce some great wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!EarlyLBIVIPDined on 5/21/2014We were only in Sonoma for one night, and there were quite a few good restaurants from which to choose. We were so glad we picked Harvest Moon Cafe. The food was excellent, as was the service. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They were closedRebeccagadDined on 5/21/2014Open Table accepted my reservation so I drove 33 miles only to find the restaurant closed. It looked like an ok restaurant but not the special dining experience I was looking for. If you're looking for something very casual but tasty this might be the place.
- Great food and ambiancekayjaylDined on 5/21/2014We sat outdoors, the ambiance was very pleasant and open..it was enclosed with plastic so it kept it nice and cool instead of cold in the evenings of Sonoma. the food was fabulous and with four people we all enjoyed the freshness of everything. We ordered the bass which was wonderful. I definitely would recommend this to others. The service was very polite but also engaging and informative about any food questions we had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MnFatsMnFatsDined on 5/18/2014Right off the square in Sonoma. Great food and wine, reasonably priced. patio was quiet even when a good crowd there. Waiter was very helpful and gave good suggestions.Special Features:
- Great restauratAidaDined on 5/16/2014Very nice to have a goo dinner, high quality food and a very kind serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very good but...criscbDined on 5/11/2014As always the food was great but it took forever to come out. We arrived at 5:30 when the restaurant opened. The place never filled up and remained 1/2 full. It took about 20 minutes just to get 1 salad and another 20 minutes to get the entre. Even the dessert took almost 15 minutes and there wasn't much to do with that. Just a quick breeze under the broiler and top with a scoop of ice cream. The second dessert was already made. Nothing to do but serve. I brought my family there for the first time and I was disappointed that they weren't up to snuff this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, noise level terribleWiscmeawayDined on 5/10/2014Unfortunately, several very loud and drunk groups were at the restaurant the evening we were there. This significantly diminished our enjoyment both in terms of the noise level as well as the continuous long line of women outside the bathroom. Keep in mind this is a very small restaurant. We dined on a Saturday night which in retrospect was not a good idea considering the large number of bachelorette parties in the area on the weekends. I realize the restaurant can't control this problem, but diners looking for a quiet, romantic evening should look elsewhere. The food was mostly very good (Caesar salad was just okay). The overall dining experience was fair.Special Features:
- Gift from my daughterkp2sonomaDined on 5/8/2014I am a recent transplant to Sonoma and had not been to Harvest Moon. My friends here recommended sitting outside as indoors is reputedly very noisy. The patio was not particularly charming - certainly not a reflection of the interior or the quality of the food. My salmon was the best!!! It was perfectly prepared and presented. My two dinner companions had the tagliatelle entree which was anticipated with its seasonal asparagus and morels but was surprisingly bland. I would definitely return and enjoy the intimacy of the bar.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food interesting and well-prepared as always. Service relaxed but not overly familiar/intrusive. This is a place we keep coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in SonomaxbekDined on 5/2/2014Amazing, ever changing menu with the freshest produce. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Harvest Moon CafeToadHallDined on 5/1/2014We spent a pleasant evening dining at Harvest Moon Cafe. We received a warm welcome, were offered either an indoor or outdoor table, and were ushered promptly to that table. The wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the food on the menu, which varies nightly and uses locally grown foods where available. Each item we ate was prepared just for us. The manager unobtrusively visited once as an integral part of serving us, just to see that we were enjoying the meal. Having eaten there several times I can say that everything I have eaten there was creatively and deliciously planned and prepared, and Harvest Moon Cafe is a favorite restaurant of ours and of people we have introduced to it. We've found reservations a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceFunEats1Dined on 4/25/2014The food, from appetizer to dessert was amazing! Our server, Paul, was attentive and accommodating. The menu changes daily since the food is locally sourced, which makes it fresh and delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant for your visit to Sonoma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm Freshlinuspvp25VIPDined on 4/25/2014The food was farm-to-table with menu changing daily. Definitely fresh and abundant in flavor. The wine list could use some assistance. I saw many wines that I've sampled previously but none of them were ones worth purchasing at a restaurant. The by-the-glass options were limited and not anything my husband and I came out wanting more of...the reds were served too cold and just didn't improve as the evening progressed. Not the best local selections of wine but at least their food was delightful. The waiter was friendly and very accommodating when I asked to swap out my first selection of wine for another. The hostess was a little lifeless and seemed put out when we walked in and she was talking with two other restaurant employees.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014Awesome venue, really great good food, awesome and reasonable wine selection!! Loved it. Ate at sante fe night after, harvest moon blows them out of the parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Best food on the Square, and the only place that comes close to it in all of Sonoma is Sante, which is a lot more expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/23/2014The food here is good but not worth what you give up in service and atmosphere. The waitress was very pretentious and went out of her way to make us uncomfortable. When I commented on the French wine on the menu she stated, oh yes, that what the locals like to drink. We are locals. The atmosphere is missing something. It has a quaint patio with a fountain however, they were blasting 80s music. Somehow a Sonoma patio and Duran Duran don't mix. We had to move inside due to a very loud bachelorette party. They accommodated us with this. The inside is small and very cramped. It could be charming but there is no decor and the people working here have no personality.
- Good eats good peepseatthisDined on 4/19/2014Food was awesome, people are awesome!! I had the porterhouse steak and my wife had the pork loin. Both were cooked to perfection and we're delicious! Will return for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014Ate here this week. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is great. We ate near the kitchen counter which was perfect to view and talk with the chef. Definitely need reservations, this place is a favorite of locals and tourists alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the Best Sonoma County restaurant !mariaDined on 4/13/2014..i love this place- romantic setting - love the bar- exotic Euro-California cuisine. The wine list is eccletic, ranging from French to California- and they are quite accomodating to vegetarians !! and price range is amazing..Special Features:
- BeachcomberVIPDined on 4/12/2014On a Saturday night the place was packed and very noisy. The patio seating was very nicely done.Special Features:
- Food never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014The best food in Sonoma. I only wish they would consider updating the depressing and dirty bathroom. It does not leave a good impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/12/2014It was our first day in Sonoma and we had read a lot of great reviews on Harvest Moon and I have to tell you, we were not disappointed at all. The food was super, the service was spot on. The place is very small, warm, and just a nice place to tuck in for a meal. Almost stopped by a 2nd evening but we had so few evenings, felt like we had to try something different just to get a variety. But it was definitely worth a revisit. The only thing that was a distraction was that a group of 4 at another table had a couple of very loud (had a little too much??) and this took away a little from the experience. But, there really was nothing they restaurant could do about that :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food. Limited Menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/12/2014Harvest Moon is no Cafe LaHaye. The food, menu selections, ambiance, and service are all well below that Sonoma spot. The food here is good (not great), albeit the selections are very limited. The setting is intimate indoors and in a plastic bubble outdoors. The bar area looked like an interesting place to eat. Service was painfully slow. Server said she didn't want to interrupt us to offer water or a pre dinner drink. How strange! Apparently she didn't want to interrupt us for taking our dinner or dessert orders either. 3 hours for a party of four. I would pass on Harvest Moon. EDK, Cafe LaHaye, Carneros, and even Hot Box are all better bets from my perspective.
- Excellent mealAKFoodieDined on 4/11/2014The meal was delicious. We had the Neiman Ranch rib eye and it was cooked perfectly. Dessert was a berry cobbler with creme fraiche ice cream and it was delicious. Also enjoyed a great bottle of Zinfandel. Service was excellent and the staff helpful and friendly. We were seated outside however asked to be seated inside due to the noise level. There was a party of approx. 12 people and they were so loud you couldn't hear the waiter. Had we not been able to eat inside we would have left. It was noisy inside as well but not as loud as outside.Special Features:
- Sonoma gourmet dinnerTedbDined on 4/7/2014Visiting my son and daughter in law and granddaughter Ava in Sonoma. They recommended this place. Excellent meal, for the Sonoma square, where prices can be kind of ridiculous, this place has very reasonable prices, nice wine list. We will definitely go back on our next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sonoma Wine Country at it's best!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2014Just seems to scream "wine country". Love the changing menu with local ingredients. Am very happy with the expansion on the back patio (covered for the winter months), but I love eating inside - so warm and cozy. One of my go to places in Sonoma.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2014One of the best restaurants in wine country. Always pleasantly surprised @ the new dishes they come up with. Love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemboobooVIPDined on 3/15/2014One of my favorites in Sonoma! Service was not as amazing as it usually is, but that's not to say it was bad. Food also wasn't quite as on point, but again, it was still delicious. Fennel salad was just ok and the rock shrimp entree was a little flat but desserts were so good!! Still my go to restaurant in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plastic wallsPlainjaneDined on 3/10/2014We were seated outside on a plastic-lined patio with heaters. It was not the best ambiance, but we could have looked past that if everything else had been fantastic, but it wasn't. The service was inconsistent, the food had highs and lows. If this had been my first time at the restaurant, I probably wouldn't have gone back.
- on the square in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2014This little "hole in the wall" cafe right on the square in Sonoma has lovely decor and attentive service. The food was very good, but pricey--$70 for 2 without wine or dessert! For us, it's a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Sonoma crescendoKandCDined on 2/27/2014Great way to end a day of tastings. Fabulous flood, great service and interesting variety. Service was personable, competent, yet not presumptuous. Portions were very generous and I hated to leave a bite, but had to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor In SummerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014We sat outdoors in the winter months when the plastic tent was up. The area was much too loud and the plastic surrounding sort of ruined the ambiance. I bet its lovely in the summer months. The food was delicious.