Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (112)fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (79)romantic (57)special occasion (55)good for groups (43)notable wine list (39)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- considering the accolades3dogapeVIPDined on 8/4/2009considering the accolades on the open page site we expected an out of the ordinary experience. Perhaps, as New Yorkers we are a little spoiled. The food was good but not memorable. The menu is changed often and it is probably not fair to judge a restaurant by the results of a single visit. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
- Food was great but the waiter/chefOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2009Food was great but the waiter/chef forgot us and our order 45 min after the salad we had to ask about our food only to find out the "ticket" was still sitting ignored in the kitchen. We got a minimal apology and then they pretended like nothing happened. No accommodation. Still charged full price for coffee and dessert. Too bad. Food was good, just wish there was more concern about a major screw up.
- We really enjoyed the outdoorMamaBenVIPDined on 8/2/2009We really enjoyed the outdoor backyard dining and the food was fabulous. This was a celebration dinner for four friends coming from Alaska and Virginia and meeting in California for a vacation. The Nieman ranch beef served with pat of melting butter on top were almost tender enough not to need a knife. The garlic sausage with polenta was a soft low fat meaty sausage with wonderful flavor. The seared rock cod had a tasty top crust and was perfectly flaky. The soup of roasted tomato and chick peas was a nice start, as was the roasted beet salad. Wines are all from Sonoma area. The sign of a great meal--we recounted several times the next day how wonderful last night's dinner was.Special Features:
- Everything was fine exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2009Everything was fine except that the kitchen obviously was stressed and could not cope with a fairly full house. Our food took an eternity tom arrive which unfortunately gave us a bad impression. Food was good but the entree (main course ) was a pasta which was appetiser (entree) sized- ie rather small after the appetisers which were nice- especially carpaccio of tuna.
- The menu was good as was theBernerMomDined on 7/31/2009The menu was good as was the wine list. We dined outside, and it was a pleasant setting (though not scenic). The food was good, not outstanding and memorable, but good and well presented. The ravioli was good, the meringue dessert was average. The wine list was outdated (2 wines we wanted were not available), but they do have a decent selection. I'd go back.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andTxDinerVIPDined on 7/25/2009The food was delicious and although service at times was a bit slow it was great because it gave us time to relax. The ice cream sandwich dessert was absolutely awesome. We sat outside and it was a beautiful setting for us. Highly recommend this restaurant when you are in Sonoma. The inside restaurant looked interesting but we did opt to sit outside due to the fantastic weather.Special Features:
- Inspired food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2009Inspired food, attentive service and a wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food was AMAZING! Both myOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2009Food was AMAZING! Both my husband and I enjoyed what we had... from salads to soups to steak and Halibut, and then the ginger nectarine frozen dessert! However, the service was way below standard. Our waters were never full, the waitress didn't introduce herself, she forgot about our wine order, didn't ask how I like my steak cooked, and when I asked her what cheese was in the absolutely fabulous green bean casserole, she said she would ask the cook and we never saw her again. We would definitely dine here again, as the menu is constantly changing; but we will not tip well for "whats-her-names" service. Truly a gem though. Try it.Special Features:
- My wife and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2009My wife and I had a great dinner at the Harvest Moon Cafe. The food was tasty and well prepared; specifically, we had a charcuterie plate and a main dish with duck confit that were interesting and satisfying. For dessert, some of the dishes were accompanied by homemade ice cream with unique flavors such as lemon verbena or Earl grey tea. Service was attentive and fun.Special Features:
- This remains one of our favoriteFoodWallahDined on 7/20/2009This remains one of our favorite restaurants in the Sonoma Valley. The squash soup was outstanding but the duck "two ways" that was one of our main courses was not as memorable as the quail preparations that are usually on the menu(and which are BRILLIANT).Special Features:
- The patio dining is the highlightGinnyVIPDined on 7/12/2009The patio dining is the highlight of this restaurant. Plus the sustainably produced food and wonderful preparation. A local gemSpecial Features:
- Harvest Moon Cafe is rightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2009Harvest Moon Cafe is right on the square. Everything was relaxed and easy just what I needed. Food was delicious and the service great. I love the patio area. Great place to have brunch!Special Features:
- Dinner was fabulous-pastacherie123Dined on 7/10/2009Dinner was fabulous-pasta delicious as was steak. The desserts are fabulous, better then most restaurants.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant thatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2009Wonderful restaurant that serves fresh, local food in a great outdoor patio setting. This is a 'must visit' if you are in the Sonoma area. Portions are perfect for a full three course dinner with no guilt! Great wine list as well (consider the area)!Special Features:
- Food was very good. The flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2009Food was very good. The flavors of the dishes were fabulous. They change the menu daily, so I would love to go again and try something else. Our waitress was very sweet, but seemed busy. If you can ask to sit outside, the ambiance is a lot nicer.
- Food was excellent...but hasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2009Food was excellent...but has become a bit pricey for style of restaurant.Special Features:
- Our waitress was a tremendousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2009Our waitress was a tremendous disappointment. She was completely indifferent all evening long. The food was good and the atmosphere extremely good. I know on a different night it would have gone better, but as we all know, a poor, snotty waitress (or waiter) can destroy an otherwise good or great evening. We went on a Sunday night so it may not have been the "a team", I sure hope it wasn't.
- Harvest Moon Cafe is now ourFoodWallahDined on 6/28/2009Harvest Moon Cafe is now our favorite restaurant in Sonoma. The food offered inventive combinations (such as roasted quail with sauteed fennel) that worked superbly and was meticulously prepared and presented. Prices are quite reasonable, making Harvest Moon an excellent value. The menu changes daily and is small, but there should be something for most tastes, including vegetarians. One caveat: Although my wife and I live in the wine country part-time and are reasonably knowledgeable about California wines, we didn't recognize most (!) of the wines on the wine list. That's neither good nor bad, I guess, but we thought it odd. In any case, as usual we had brought wines from our cellar.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2009The food and service were both excellent. We'll certainly be back and will be suggesting Harvest Moon to others visiting the area.Special Features:
- First and foremost, food isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2009First and foremost, food is terrific. Then service is outstanding!Special Features:
- Ate outside in beautiful weather...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2009Ate outside in beautiful weather.... Very nice experience...
- Yummy food in one of favoriteSylviaVIPDined on 6/12/2009Yummy food in one of favorite Sonoma Cafes. We really like this place!Special Features:
- Confined dining space. DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2009Confined dining space. Disappointed with wine list. Wouldn't be in rush to return.
- Best place for dinner in thefm88Dined on 6/6/2009Best place for dinner in the town of Sonoma. Casual, warm, incredible food.Special Features:
- The seafood stew with cod,94920Dined on 5/30/2009The seafood stew with cod, clams, mussells and shrimp was delicious, as was the brownie dessert with coffee ice cream!
- The food was fantastic! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009The food was fantastic! Service was great. We all ordered desserts, and each one was very good.Special Features:
- Love this this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/30/2009Love this this restaurant! Don't want it to be too well-known or we'll never get in! Much better than the over rated restaurants that everyone else thinks are great in the Sonoma Square. Love this family run and fine dining establishment!Special Features:
- Food consistently delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/30/2009Food consistently delicious. One of my favorite places!Special Features:
- Amazing and very fresh food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2009Amazing and very fresh food, great service, a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was good, but not theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2009Food was good, but not the great. Prices are reasonable, and the service was very good and attentive.
- both the menu and wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2009both the menu and wine list are small but well-thought out. Food was very good, and well-presented. Friendly and knowledgable staff. Outside dining a plus during the warm weather. Would definitely go back!!!Special Features:
- We had a great time. The staffLuvTravelandFoodVIPDined on 5/27/2009We had a great time. The staff was very accommodating since our group grew from 5 to 14 in a matter of minutes. Thank you Harvest Moon Cafe!Special Features:
- Incredibly disappointing experienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2009Incredibly disappointing experience, in complete contrast to my first visit there shortly after they had opened 2-3 years or so ago. The staff was rude, unfriendly, uninterested, complaining about the previous nights' guests and their special menu requests--overall in a very bad mood. Then the food came--the grilled shrimp appetizer: cold and almost tasteless; the swordfish entree: undercooked with a strong "fishy", muddy taste. I'd asked for a small change to the vegetable accompanying the fish when I ordered--the server said that the chef doesn't like that, probably wouldn't do it, and he questions why anybody would dare to mess with his creations. Unbelievable. Must be a Top Chef ego complex here. Just an awful experience.
- As always, a great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/24/2009As always, a great dining experience. A hidden gem in Sonoma, this restaurant doesn't get its fair due as one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in town. While Cafe La Haye and the girl and the fig properties get most of the press, Harvest Moon Cafe has been consistent since it opened and has a strong and growing local fan base that spreads the good word to everyone they can.Special Features:
- they made a special menu forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2009they made a special menu for our vegans and it was great. The food was good the screaming kids were not but that was not their doing and they sat us as far away as possible. Very accomadating place would return.Special Features:
- Our dinner was uniformly delicious-OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2009Our dinner was uniformly delicious--from the entrees (ravioli and rabbit) to the desserts. My dessert: lemon ice cream sandwich between ginger snaps with fresh strawberries was inspired and excellent.Special Features:
- There weren't many peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2009There weren't many people so that the noise level is hard to rate. My husbands dinner was only good but the other 5 meals were great.Special Features:
- We had an absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2009We had an absolutely wonderful dining experience, from beginning to end. The food was amazing, both my lamb stew on soft polenta, and my wife's steak were delicious. The desserts were out of this world as well, especially the ginger snap and lemon verbena ice cream sandwich. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- Harvest Moon has a friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2009Harvest Moon has a friendly vibe and wonderful food. It's the little things like the pickled onions in the BLT or the fragrant broth that holds the clams with chorizo that makes their food stand out. Try to get a table outside when the weather is nice. And definitely save room for dessert. They're some of the best in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- My 11 year wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2009My 11 year wedding anniversary dinner was less than desired. We were initially greeted and taken to ur seat outside on the patio. We had checked out the menu and wine list online and were excited to have a glass of Roederer Sparkling to start our evening (it was listed online) We were very surprised when it was not available, replaced by a New Mexico Gruet! (Come on, we are in the California Wine Country, home of some of the greatest wines in the world) The rest of the wine list was less than desired as well. After finishing our salads, it took 30 minutes for our ravioli to arrive and the service was awful. The ravioli was very good, but the complete dining experience was a disaster and I would not recommend Harvest Moon Cafe.