Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (116)fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (61)romantic (54)notable wine list (45)good for groups (34)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2009The food and service were both excellent. We'll certainly be back and will be suggesting Harvest Moon to others visiting the area.Special Features:
- First and foremost, food isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2009First and foremost, food is terrific. Then service is outstanding!Special Features:
- Ate outside in beautiful weather...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2009Ate outside in beautiful weather.... Very nice experience...
- Yummy food in one of favoriteSylviaVIPDined on 6/12/2009Yummy food in one of favorite Sonoma Cafes. We really like this place!Special Features:
- Confined dining space. DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2009Confined dining space. Disappointed with wine list. Wouldn't be in rush to return.
- Best place for dinner in thefm88Dined on 6/6/2009Best place for dinner in the town of Sonoma. Casual, warm, incredible food.Special Features:
- The seafood stew with cod,94920Dined on 5/30/2009The seafood stew with cod, clams, mussells and shrimp was delicious, as was the brownie dessert with coffee ice cream!
- The food was fantastic! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009The food was fantastic! Service was great. We all ordered desserts, and each one was very good.Special Features:
- Love this this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/30/2009Love this this restaurant! Don't want it to be too well-known or we'll never get in! Much better than the over rated restaurants that everyone else thinks are great in the Sonoma Square. Love this family run and fine dining establishment!Special Features:
- Food consistently delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/30/2009Food consistently delicious. One of my favorite places!Special Features:
- Amazing and very fresh food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2009Amazing and very fresh food, great service, a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was good, but not theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2009Food was good, but not the great. Prices are reasonable, and the service was very good and attentive.
- both the menu and wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2009both the menu and wine list are small but well-thought out. Food was very good, and well-presented. Friendly and knowledgable staff. Outside dining a plus during the warm weather. Would definitely go back!!!Special Features:
- We had a great time. The staffLuvTravelandFoodVIPDined on 5/27/2009We had a great time. The staff was very accommodating since our group grew from 5 to 14 in a matter of minutes. Thank you Harvest Moon Cafe!Special Features:
- Incredibly disappointing experienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2009Incredibly disappointing experience, in complete contrast to my first visit there shortly after they had opened 2-3 years or so ago. The staff was rude, unfriendly, uninterested, complaining about the previous nights' guests and their special menu requests--overall in a very bad mood. Then the food came--the grilled shrimp appetizer: cold and almost tasteless; the swordfish entree: undercooked with a strong "fishy", muddy taste. I'd asked for a small change to the vegetable accompanying the fish when I ordered--the server said that the chef doesn't like that, probably wouldn't do it, and he questions why anybody would dare to mess with his creations. Unbelievable. Must be a Top Chef ego complex here. Just an awful experience.
- As always, a great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/24/2009As always, a great dining experience. A hidden gem in Sonoma, this restaurant doesn't get its fair due as one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in town. While Cafe La Haye and the girl and the fig properties get most of the press, Harvest Moon Cafe has been consistent since it opened and has a strong and growing local fan base that spreads the good word to everyone they can.Special Features:
- they made a special menu forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2009they made a special menu for our vegans and it was great. The food was good the screaming kids were not but that was not their doing and they sat us as far away as possible. Very accomadating place would return.Special Features:
- Our dinner was uniformly delicious-OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2009Our dinner was uniformly delicious--from the entrees (ravioli and rabbit) to the desserts. My dessert: lemon ice cream sandwich between ginger snaps with fresh strawberries was inspired and excellent.Special Features:
- There weren't many peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2009There weren't many people so that the noise level is hard to rate. My husbands dinner was only good but the other 5 meals were great.Special Features:
- We had an absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2009We had an absolutely wonderful dining experience, from beginning to end. The food was amazing, both my lamb stew on soft polenta, and my wife's steak were delicious. The desserts were out of this world as well, especially the ginger snap and lemon verbena ice cream sandwich. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- Harvest Moon has a friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2009Harvest Moon has a friendly vibe and wonderful food. It's the little things like the pickled onions in the BLT or the fragrant broth that holds the clams with chorizo that makes their food stand out. Try to get a table outside when the weather is nice. And definitely save room for dessert. They're some of the best in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- My 11 year wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2009My 11 year wedding anniversary dinner was less than desired. We were initially greeted and taken to ur seat outside on the patio. We had checked out the menu and wine list online and were excited to have a glass of Roederer Sparkling to start our evening (it was listed online) We were very surprised when it was not available, replaced by a New Mexico Gruet! (Come on, we are in the California Wine Country, home of some of the greatest wines in the world) The rest of the wine list was less than desired as well. After finishing our salads, it took 30 minutes for our ravioli to arrive and the service was awful. The ravioli was very good, but the complete dining experience was a disaster and I would not recommend Harvest Moon Cafe.
- Black cod with harissa great.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/16/2009Black cod with harissa great. Salads great. All four of us thought it was over the top.Special Features:
- Fresh menu everyday. StartedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2009Fresh menu everyday. Started with grilled shrimp with chickpeas and aioli, and two other appes. Easy to share and very tasty. Main courses were the Ravioli, duck and porkchop. All were excellent. The hot fudge sundae was a nice bit of sweet to end the meal. Sat outside in a very cozy courtyard in the back, so no street noise or having to deal with people walking by your table on the sidewalk. Tables far enough apart (outside) so as area filled up noise level stayed low. Servers are very friendly and helpful with menu and wine selection. Will definitely return and recommend to others. Minor complaint: little metal chairs in the outside area are not very comfortable & are quick to pick off buttons that get caught easily in the slatsSpecial Features:
- Harvest Moon has one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2009Harvest Moon has one of the nicest outdoor patios in Sonoma. With decomposed granite surface and string lights overhead, it feels very European. Tables are far enough away from each other that you have privacy and quiet. We've been here several times and always have a good experience.Special Features:
- Service lacked. We sat outside,RalphTVIPDined on 5/13/2009Service lacked. We sat outside, which was nice but they could level the dirt so you do not lean to one side. They had a large group/wedding and service lacked with only two waitstaff for the dining area. Food selection was limited to one item each, i.e. one chicken dish, one meat dish etc. Would not return
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2009Food was very good. Service was very bad. Only about 50% of the tables were filled, so I don't know why the service wasn't better. Water wasn't refilled, sugar wasn't brought to the table for coffee (after asking), coffee wasn't refilled, it took nearly an hour to get our brunch items (and others who arrived after us received their meals before us), and it took over 10 minutes to get the check after we had already indicated that we were done and needed to go.Special Features:
- This was a great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2009This was a great dining experience. The food and wine were very good and the service was outstanding. Very nice ambiance as well!Special Features:
- Jen Demerest was behind thebabsVIPDined on 4/28/2009Jen Demerest was behind the stove and did a fabulous job! (Owner/chef Nick Demerest was camping....). Service has improved dramatically since our last visit.Special Features:
- Incredible food. Don't missOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2009Incredible food. Don't miss if you're visiting Sonoma. Casual, healthy, great relaxing vibe. Did I mention the incredible food?? GO!Special Features:
- Food and service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/25/2009Food and service was great. The wait staff accomodated half of the party for 30 minutes while the rest of the group straggled in.Special Features:
- They were understaffed, IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/17/2009They were understaffed, I think, so the first few minutes after arrival and seating at the bar were sketchy; we almost left because it was clear everyone was hustling and they seemed overwhelmed. However, once we were seated outside, the experience went way up. Service was attentive and not too much, and the food was incredible. A truly lovely evening and I'm glad we gave them a chance.Special Features:
- Fantastic mussels and clamsOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/11/2009Fantastic mussels and clams appetizer, followed by some beautiful black fettucine with favas and shrimp...top notch! And a reasonable corkage at $18, so a great place to bring your bounty from a full day of wine tasting in Sonoma...Special Features:
- We loved it...the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2009We loved it...the food was complimented with subtle flavors to enhance the best part of the fish and short ribs (in our case) and the desserts; the pudding cake and banana tartlett made our tummies only beg for more! Jason was not only "on it" as far as service goes but he was not in our face...that's a true gentleman's touch. The only challenge we had was portion sizes on the appetizers. Theire could have been a wee bit more on the plates for the price. We'll be back on our next date night out!Special Features:
- We visited the Harvest MoonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2009We visited the Harvest Moon Cafe on our honeymoon. We received excellent service and both of our meals were exquisite. We each had an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert, as well as drinks. Everything was great. The kicker was that I had emailed the owners a few weeks before our visit to mention that my wife's favorite dessert was banana cream pie...low and behold, on the night of our visit, a banana cream tartlette was on the menu. It was excellent, and both Harvest Moon and I scored a few points with my new wife that night! Thanks Jen!Special Features:
- Great food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2009Great food and great service. The recommended wine and entree were both excellent choices. Would highly recommend to those visiting Sonoma.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2009The food was excellent. I had the short rib stew over rissoto and my sister have the rib eye steak with garlic mashed potatoes. They were generous with the bread. The deserts were out of this world -- we each ordered a different one and all were outstanding. The ambiance is very plain--almost like picnic tables and wooden chairs. It's more rustic. I would recommend this place highly. I just glad the Harvest Moon Cafe isn't in my hometown or I would be their every night!!
- We had to wait 2 hours beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/12/2009We had to wait 2 hours before our entree arrived. Once it did arrive it wasn't very good. The salads we ordered to start with were excellent. Our reservation was for 7:30 but our entrees didn't arrive until 9:30. Three of us wanted to order the sole that was on the menu but they were out. We had one bottle of wine from their list Roche which was very good but when we asked to order another they were out. All the other wines we tried were not good at all so we had to bring in our bottle we luckily had in the car. We were entertaining guests from NYC so it's too bad.
- Our dinner was just fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/7/2009Our dinner was just fantastic! I love nothing more than a meal which surprises me. Harvest Moon did just that---I had trouble choosing between such a succinct and great menu because every starter and entree sounded so appealing. The flavours were perfectly integrated with texture and fresh ingredients. The intimate atmosphere was buzzing and so pleasant. The wine list showed careful selection from around the region and world and was both interesting and well-priced. Prepare to be delighted!Special Features:
- Arugula salad, sturgeon, steak,LisaDined on 3/6/2009Arugula salad, sturgeon, steak, butterscotch pot de creme, banana tart, were all perfect. The bread was Della Fattoria, but was cold and soft-could have been warmed. They seem to have something against good chardonnay with oak-not one by the glass.Special Features: