Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (115)fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (61)romantic (53)notable wine list (45)good for groups (33)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful blend of flavors...SonomaFoodieDined on 7/12/2014As a local, I've enjoyed Harvest Moon for several years. But, lately it seems the food and service have improved to the level of five stars. I trust the chef enough to try some of his more exotic creations, such as the Eggplant stuffed with lamb and pine nuts. I am happy to say my only problem was eating slowly and not gobbling the whole thing down in thirty seconds because it was just so good!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014We were recommended Harvest Moon by a friend who had a friend who worked there. The food was absolutely delicious and the best meal we had in 5 weeks traveling in the US. The food was fresh with interesting combinations and good sized portions. Wish we had more time to go back and try other things. It's a small place but there are seats outside. It was lively and our daughter enjoyed watching the chefs prepare meals out in the open. Would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 7/5/2014We were there on a Saturday at 5:45. Sat up front,inside. Stuffy and warm. Service OK, food so,so. Had the chop, not particularly outstanding. Others had the pasta, not better than average.
- JeffreyDined on 7/3/2014First bottle of wine was corked, 2nd choice not available, 3rd brought to the table was twice the price. Ended up having an open bottle of the 2nd choice by the glass. Strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth time and $MapptDined on 7/3/2014This was a fantastic meal. Every item on the menu ordered by our party of 5 was excellent! This would be a regular spot for us to eat doe special occasions I'd I lived any where near this restaurant. You won't regret a visit to this great restaurant.Special Features:
- AverageFooderVIPDined on 7/2/2014An average plus restaurant. Some good wine selections, food fair but a bit heavy. Attentive service. Not cheap.Special Features:
- Relaxed DiningDavidHDined on 6/27/2014Relaxed place, with great food. Good value for your dollar. Staff were very welcoming and service good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014I was looking for a dining experience a bit nicer for a birthday celebration in my local area. Harvest Moon fit the bill by providing this. The evening was delightful on a beautiful summer evening and this allowed us to enjoy the patio dining. The food selections were unique and they accommodated us even beyond the menu by making a special vegetarian dish. The service by all wait staff was wonderful.Special Features:
- great surpriseCaymanSVIPDined on 6/22/2014After reading all the great reviews on open table I expected a good experience. What we experienced was not good but great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every Bite MarvelousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Harvest Moon serves delicious, fresh, beautiful dishes every time. The menu is innovative, the flavors are perfect. My husband and I ooooh and ahhhh over each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Farm to Market, it's hereTennisGolfLadyDined on 6/21/2014I love that the menu changes regularly based on what is in season. The protein purveyors are vetted and great. I had a mozzarella, eggplant salad that was outstanding. Farm to market really makes a difference in flavor. Our waiter was friendly and fun. You want him as your friend! Great experience. We really loved seeing the herbs planted around the outdoor space. Truly lovely.Special Features:
- Open Table find!DananCherylDined on 6/21/2014We go to Sonoma once every few months, as it's close, has good wine, and good food. As we were heading out for a quick visit, I called to makes reservations at one of our favorite restaurants. It was booked and so was our next favorite. I went to Open Table and used the search feature which gave me a choice of places in Sonoma with open reservations and open times. I found Harvest Moon on the list and made reservations. We have walked by this place many times but had never tried it, what a wonderful surprise! It is now our "go to" place in Sonoma and we highly recommend it.Special Features:
- It's a miss.MuchachaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Lovely outdoor patio. Food was good but not great. I had two appetizers and the salad with fresh beans was the better of the two. The taste and presentation of the rabbit ragu over penne was completely unremarkable. The service was not good - the server forgot to note down no cheese for one dish which had to be remade, the server was not attentive and became snippy when I mentioned the difficulties in getting her attention. I would not recommend this restaurant for other solo diners.Special Features:
- Yum!JCOaklandDined on 6/20/2014After spending the day biking around Sonoma, Harvest Moon was the perfect way to indulge in a fantastic dinner. We brought in a bottle from a winery we had visited, which went very well with the delicious rib eye steak and the venison loin. The salads we had to start were fresh, light, and a perfect way to start. For dessert, the upside-down Bing chocolate cake was delicious. Our only regret was that we didn't order two of the cake. The patio seating was comfortable in the evening warmth. Overall, a great way to end our day in the area.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceTotalFoodGeekDined on 6/19/2014We were visiting Sonoma and ate there based on a recommendation from a local. Both the food and service were top notch. I don't impress easily and I was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience in downtown SonomasfbevsterDined on 6/18/2014Really enjoyed our first visit to Harvest Moon. Chose it because of good Yelp reviews and its pisca-vegetarian-friendly menu. Got seated on the spacious outdoor patio, which can be either communal or private, depending on your mood. The salads were exceptional - every ingredient was fresh and bursting with flavor. I had the beef ragu, which was wonderfully satisfying - rich without being overwhelming. My partner had the tuna, which was fresh and perfectly prepared. They have a very nice, unpretentious wine list with a good selection of half bottles. Try the ginger ice cream for dessert. Service is friendly but relaxed - don't go if you're in a hurry. But to kick back and have a refined rustic Sonoma experience, it was great.Special Features:
- GritsDined on 6/18/2014Excellent food and service. Neat, cosy patio. My husband and I have dined here before but it seems to just get better each time we go.Special Features:
- Food was good, not great.sherrypVIPDined on 6/15/2014Squash soup was very good. Lasagna was pretty good. My husband's shirt ribs were tough. Thought the corkage fee if $18 was ridiculous! My entree was only $21! You are in the wine country, people want to bring their own wine! It's why we are there...to buy wine! Service was slow. Cute restaurant and great outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014We had a lovely time at Harvest Moon. We read about it online as we were vacationing in Sonoma. Our waiter was kind and knowledgable. The food was great and all in season, the wine list was great. Overall a wonderful experience and would go back if we return to the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinner in downtown SonomaSonomalocalVIPDined on 6/12/2014Lovely patio, interior dining is dark and too close for comfort. Dinner options are OK, pork loin recently was tough and too heavily salted. Ono was delicious but kitchen is not very flexible to switch up sides. Limited by glass wine options...desserts not tempting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Great food and great service. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Meal and ExperienceSkyjaxVIPDined on 6/9/2014This was our first visit to Napa, and anyone that has been knows there is no shortage of great and even legendary restaurants. All I can say is that this place has every right to be pretentious, and is far from it. The menu. Limited, fresh, and inventive - the way it should be. I have come to hate looking at multiple page menus. But even with just 5 or 6 entree choices, we really did have a hard time choosing. We each had a different salad, and both were - again - inventive and fresh. For entrees we did the pasta and lamb, and both were amazing. Even better than the menu? The ambiance. 5-star food, but you feel like you are in the chef's own back yard, at his invitation. Perfect in every way. Book it, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply well executedIntoGreatDiningVIPDined on 6/8/2014In a world where things are complicated enough, it's nice to savor a good simple piece of swordfish cooked perfectly. There is not enough good fresh seafood in the town of Sonoma, so we order it when we can. I'm not a great fan of bok choy but it was an appropriate complement and did not distract from the swordfish. The staff is sweet and very attentive with lovely smiles and a great attitude that is oh so pleasantly Sonoma.Special Features:
- Dining AlfrescoRustymom64VIPDined on 6/7/2014We love to dine out on the patio. We had guests for the weekend and everyone enjoyed their meal on the patio.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerHiddenJemDined on 6/4/2014The wait was well worth it to sit outside in the patio. We loved everything we ordered and the waiters were really friendly. If we are ever back in Sonoma, we will certainly eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TopsHardtoplsDined on 6/2/2014Special and creative fare with perfect service on a disappointingly unattractive patio. Interior table would have been a better choice if the night had not been so lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tilltilate Your PalateenigmaVIPDined on 6/1/2014If you crave wonderful tastes from fresh produce and top suppliers in all categories hie yourself and your friends to Harvest Moon Cafe. The food is not precious, it's not cute, it doesn't foam and the ingredients are pronounceable. Servers are caring, helpful and professional. After a meal here you know you have eaten very well, and had an experience that begs to be repeated.Special Features:
- All around wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014First time at this restaurant for myself and my relatives. The food was terrific and our wine pick was perfect. Their menu is small-ish but not a negative at all since the dishes were all seasonal, super fresh, and well-balanced with something great for everyone. Service was fantastic. I got stuck in traffic and was significantly late but my uncle and aunt who had been seated enjoyed a leisurely bottle of wine and appetizer while waiting and were not pressured or rushed by the staff at all. It was a pleasant experience to be greeted warmly when arriving by the staff and to be allowed to take our time with the menu and our meal. Ambiance was also very charming out on the patio. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Nino69NinoDined on 5/29/2014This was my first time to Harvest Moon and it was quite good. The menu we were told by our server always changes and everything is cooked from scratch using ingredients from local farms which is very evident in the taste of mine and my colleagues meal. Wine list is a hidden gem of small wineries that produce some great wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!EarlyLBIVIPDined on 5/21/2014We were only in Sonoma for one night, and there were quite a few good restaurants from which to choose. We were so glad we picked Harvest Moon Cafe. The food was excellent, as was the service. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They were closedRebeccagadDined on 5/21/2014Open Table accepted my reservation so I drove 33 miles only to find the restaurant closed. It looked like an ok restaurant but not the special dining experience I was looking for. If you're looking for something very casual but tasty this might be the place.
- Great food and ambiancekayjaylDined on 5/21/2014We sat outdoors, the ambiance was very pleasant and open..it was enclosed with plastic so it kept it nice and cool instead of cold in the evenings of Sonoma. the food was fabulous and with four people we all enjoyed the freshness of everything. We ordered the bass which was wonderful. I definitely would recommend this to others. The service was very polite but also engaging and informative about any food questions we had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 729 reviews are from the Harvest Moon Cafe reviews archive.
- MnFatsMnFatsDined on 5/18/2014Right off the square in Sonoma. Great food and wine, reasonably priced. patio was quiet even when a good crowd there. Waiter was very helpful and gave good suggestions.Special Features:
- Great restauratAidaDined on 5/16/2014Very nice to have a goo dinner, high quality food and a very kind serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very good but...criscbDined on 5/11/2014As always the food was great but it took forever to come out. We arrived at 5:30 when the restaurant opened. The place never filled up and remained 1/2 full. It took about 20 minutes just to get 1 salad and another 20 minutes to get the entre. Even the dessert took almost 15 minutes and there wasn't much to do with that. Just a quick breeze under the broiler and top with a scoop of ice cream. The second dessert was already made. Nothing to do but serve. I brought my family there for the first time and I was disappointed that they weren't up to snuff this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, noise level terribleWiscmeawayDined on 5/10/2014Unfortunately, several very loud and drunk groups were at the restaurant the evening we were there. This significantly diminished our enjoyment both in terms of the noise level as well as the continuous long line of women outside the bathroom. Keep in mind this is a very small restaurant. We dined on a Saturday night which in retrospect was not a good idea considering the large number of bachelorette parties in the area on the weekends. I realize the restaurant can't control this problem, but diners looking for a quiet, romantic evening should look elsewhere. The food was mostly very good (Caesar salad was just okay). The overall dining experience was fair.Special Features:
- Gift from my daughterkp2sonomaDined on 5/8/2014I am a recent transplant to Sonoma and had not been to Harvest Moon. My friends here recommended sitting outside as indoors is reputedly very noisy. The patio was not particularly charming - certainly not a reflection of the interior or the quality of the food. My salmon was the best!!! It was perfectly prepared and presented. My two dinner companions had the tagliatelle entree which was anticipated with its seasonal asparagus and morels but was surprisingly bland. I would definitely return and enjoy the intimacy of the bar.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food interesting and well-prepared as always. Service relaxed but not overly familiar/intrusive. This is a place we keep coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in SonomaxbekDined on 5/2/2014Amazing, ever changing menu with the freshest produce. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Harvest Moon CafeToadHallDined on 5/1/2014We spent a pleasant evening dining at Harvest Moon Cafe. We received a warm welcome, were offered either an indoor or outdoor table, and were ushered promptly to that table. The wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the food on the menu, which varies nightly and uses locally grown foods where available. Each item we ate was prepared just for us. The manager unobtrusively visited once as an integral part of serving us, just to see that we were enjoying the meal. Having eaten there several times I can say that everything I have eaten there was creatively and deliciously planned and prepared, and Harvest Moon Cafe is a favorite restaurant of ours and of people we have introduced to it. We've found reservations a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.