525 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 2132369577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 12:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Shigefumi Tachibe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Chaya Downtown offers a private dining room which can accomodate up to 36 guests. The Covered Patio can also be reserved for private parties up to 60 guests. For more information regarding all your private events contact Elaine Asada at 213-236-9577, Ext. 19. Or directly at 310-508-5356
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th
- Public Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located in the City National Parking Plaza garage on level A. The private elevator will take you directly to Chaya on the ground level. For lunch the first Three Hours are a flat rate of $5.00 with validation, and anything beyond will be charged at the normal rate. Parking for dinner is free for the first Four Hours and a flat rate of $7.00 for anything beyond.
A word from Chaya Downtown
CHAYA Downtown, the newest member of the CHAYA family of restaurants, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, combining urban chic and European sensibility with Japanese hospitality. The menu plays off its French Japanese culinary tradition as it takes diner on an epicurean journey. The modern, chic ambiance sets the mood as diners enter the lively bar and lounge. The spacious dining room is lined with intimate booths that open to the outdoor patio surrounded by lush landscaping. The garden patio is available for bar seating and full dining. A 12-seat sushi bar features a full view of CHAYA sushi chefs at work. CHAYA Downtown offers convenient lunch menu options Monday through Friday for professionals looking to grab a quick bite. Guests can enjoy dinner seven nights a week. Happy Hour at CHAYA is a popular time for downtown dwellers and professionals to enjoy savory small plates and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine and sake list perfectly complements the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chaya Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chaya Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (67)great for outdoor dining (62)great for lunch (51)good for groups (43)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (31)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (19)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful dining experience!DeesFriendsDined on 4/3/2014Ours was a party of 4 for dinner at 5:30pm (the time the restaurant opened for dinner)after an Ahmanson theater date. We arrived at 5:15 and were able to be seated at the bar where we enjoyed happy hour cocktails before being seated at our table. Two of us shared the bento box special and the other two ordered separate entrees. One of my friends ordered the steak, but the sauce on top of the steak was too spicy for her. The waiter replaced the steak without the sauce. We loved the ambience, the helpful and friendly staff, and the delicious food preparations. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the BentojdpsDined on 4/2/2014The bento was terrific. I would visit again just to see when surprises were in store for that day.Special Features:
- Fine restaurantdowntownsteveDined on 3/28/2014Delicious food, though we liked the salmon, chicken, and appetizers more than the paella. Good specialty cocktails too. Wine list fine, though heavy on expensive items. Service competent, room inviting, atmosphere fine if slightly corporate feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a good place toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2014Definitely a good place to go before theatre or concert downtown. very pretty room, good menu and easy parking with a shuttle option for music center or disney hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Score a Huge Hit!GreensmarkVIPDined on 3/23/2014I am so happy to once again have the most beautiful Sunday Supper at Chaya Downtown! This weeks ingredient was strawberries! Let me just say not once did they lose sight of that. Flavour in every bite. This is the place to go on Sunday night when you want something low key, elegant, easy on the wallet (did I mention 50% off a bottle of wine?) and a really nice way to have a "date nite" with my husband! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya is terrificRegularVIPDined on 3/22/2014This was an incredible dining experience. Appetizers, entrees and dessert were all perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always a consistent favoriteatrisktravelerVIPDined on 3/20/2014Food has always been good and very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening on the patioFromtherockVIPDined on 3/15/2014We ate outside under the heater. Had the seafood, cooked to perfection with great service and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the Paella which wasShowbizLizVIPDined on 3/15/2014I had the Paella which was one of the best I ever had - including in Spain. Drinks were great, too. Only the waiter was a doofus. Forgot an order, had no idea how to split the bill between us and misspelled the food names. If you work at an upscale restayrant like this, learn to pronounce the dishes, please. Otherwise go flip burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sea Bass EverCharmboyDined on 3/11/2014The main course sea bass I had was literally the best fish entree I have ever had. Excellent piece of light white fish, with a delicious sauce, and deliciouso bok choy, rice-like product, and another vegetable. We were a group of 5, and I had a client who "followed my lead" in ordering, and he too really enjoyed the main course. We totally cleaned our plates. My salad with seaweed was not so great, but maybe I did not like seaweed, and I was being adventurous. Service was good, the maitre d was particularly helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, generous portionsFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 3/10/2014The Chaya downtown location is always a great spot for a business lunch meeting, with nice ambiance, great service and convenient parking. The bento boxes are always a good mix of a bit of everything and everything is always tasty and consistent. Fresh and satisfying.Special Features:
- A Downtown Must!AnluVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food is always great. Loved the Ricotta CheesecakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRE-THEATRE DINNER GEMmindexpanderDined on 3/8/2014Perfect for Music Center patrons. Free parking(4hrs). Free shuttle. If you go over 4 hrs, a $7 charge ($9 at M.C). The Bento (6 course) was very good, bread pudding outstanding (extra & worth it, even shared) Enough food, but not so much that one would fall asleep during the performance. Order the steak rare since it is not very thick, however a very nice taste and tender. We had the 6 course Bento. Worth returning for downtown pre theatre events.Special Features:
- The Chaya concept is far fromChasVIPDined on 3/3/2014The Chaya concept is far from new but continues to keep fresh, consistently interesting and is always good. This restaurant group is especially well run. The downtown location may not have the ambiance as the original west side or beach locations but is nice non the less and the service particularly good. You cannot go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Theatre Dining4FOODVIPDined on 3/1/2014Nice coctktails and good wine selection. Fresh delicious bread with olive tapenade. Appetizers were OK(tuna tartare and beef salad). Entrees excellent. Whole Branzino and Sea Bass with Miso were light and delicate. Desert of Apple Tartan also very good. Requested a decaf cappucino and was told out of beans. Have eaten at Chaya Beverly Hills which that particular dining experience was better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fairSaddllpVIPDined on 2/26/2014Catering to those without a pallet these days. Too bad.Special Features:
- Sunday specialHalpVIPDined on 2/23/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday themed dinner. Great value.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceRobinVIPDined on 2/22/2014Chaya has always been one of our favorite places. The food and service is consistently good, the atmosphere is great, and we've always been pleased with the experience. Since we visited last, we have switched to a largely vegan diet and were very pleased to find we can still have a wonderful meal at Chaya. The food we selected was outstanding as always and our waitress helped guide our choices. We left feeling very satisfied and especially happy that we can still have the same outstanding experience at Chaya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service good, food unimpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/19/2014My group arrived late and we were graciously seated. Attentive and friendly staff helped us throughout dinner on the inviting patio. Ordered a series of shared dishes. Sushi was mediocre, paella tasted like not-so-fresh fish over soupy rice. Branzino was best option, though its accompaniments too tasted off. Space itself is great.
- Excellent RestaurantnewbyDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I and our friends really enjoyed the food and the service at this restaurant. We would definitely return and bring our guests along with us.Special Features:
- Beautiful presentation of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Drinks and appetizers were beautifully decorated with edible flowersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day SurpriseTioBoniVIPDined on 2/14/2014I normally hate going out to dinner on Valentine's Day because the food is usually mediocre, it's crowded and the service is frequently abysmal. But we had theater tickets and had to eat so we made reservations at Chaya Downtown. There was a limited prix fixe menu with choices of red meat, fish or vegetable, soup or salad, etc. And to my surprise it was all delicious. I had soup and my date had salad. Both were very good. She had sea bass and I had steak and both were excellent. A very good desert was included and at the end of the meal we received a split of domestic sparkling wine and a couple of truffles to take home.. Service throughout the evening was excellent; attentive but not intrusive. A very fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya - Great Downtown LA SpotLordginVIPDined on 2/14/2014Chaya is a vibrant, hip restaurant in the heart of Downtown LA. The food is amazing and filled with flavor. The Tuna Tartar melts in your mouth. The Grilled Sea Bass is the best I've ever had, both tender and flavorful! The Lamb shank also falls off the bone and is not too dry as Lamb can be. The service is very attentive but not overbearing but the highlight is the beautiful modern, Asian inspired decor. Very Hollywood Shiek. Would definitely revisit and must mention the Sea Bass Again!Special Features:
- Nice Valentine's Day dinnertinylibrarianVIPDined on 2/14/2014Convenient and romantic place for a weeknight Valentine's Day dinner. The prix fixe menu made everything easy peasy. They also have a great happy hour and free valet parking with validation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great servicejdalocaDined on 2/11/2014I've been to Chaya Downtown several times before, and the food is always good. The service is usually excellent. Great spot if you have an expense account and want to take clients to an upscale eatery, which is basically the only times I ever go.Special Features:
- Had the salmon for lunch.LynneVIPDined on 2/11/2014Had the salmon for lunch. It was fantastic! Great presentation, and one of the tastiest salmon dishes I have ever had.Special Features:
- Amazing meal after a long hiatusOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/8/2014We hadn't been to Chaya downtown for quite some time. Going back made us remember how good it can be. They had a special salad that was wonderful, and both of our meals were terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRljcsVIPDined on 2/7/2014The sushi was not fresh. It tasted as though it had been pre-made several hours prior in preparation for the lunch rush. Usually not an issue with most dishes, however when it come to sushi freshness is critical.
- business lunchlove2chowDined on 2/5/2014nice downtown version of perennial favorite Chaya westside. good fish special, competent waiter, good service. would go backSpecial Features:
- Good food & convenientAngelicaVIPDined on 2/1/2014It was very nice to see that they offer a vegan choice, though not shown on the menu. My fish dish was light and tasteful, but too salty. The vegan dish was plentiful, innovative and filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Business LunchGriz60DinerDined on 1/31/2014If you are not a member of one of the downtown business clubs, or you are and just want a change of pace, and desire a good quality meal, environment, location in the financial district, this is a top choice. The food is excellent, the service team well trained and friendly. The price point is above the typical daily lunch venue, yet a very fair value for the dining experience. It is a step up from most of the other nice local deli and sit down restaurants, and just bit below the top tier most expensive ones. It is always busy during the weekday lunch time, so a lot of other people would appear to agree that they have positioned themselves well in the market for the customer base.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lack of choice in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014The lack of choice in downtown restaurants has lead to a steady stream of business for Chaya and a steady decline in food quality and service. The salmon I had recently was smothered with a mustard based sauce that was overwhelming and inedible.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014Made a reservation. Arrived 5 mins early. Still ended up waiting 25 mins to be seated and honestly it could have been longer if I didn't go back to the host and ask for the 3rd time to be seated. Waiter was not very attentive. Possibly the staffing was too thin. Either way, slow service and lack of attention all around.
- We had a really fabulous dinnerreviewVIPDined on 1/25/2014We had a really fabulous dinner here. We tried the DineLA menu and was so happy with our selections. The one thing we have not stopped talking about was the filet with sukiyaki glaze. That was the best filet mignon we have eaten, so buttery soft. I have looked on the website to see if that was on the regular menu but sadly it is not. The other entree we picked was the Shio Koji Black Cod, very delicate but such powerful tasting flavors. The broth with the fish was so delicious. We did missthe yuzu miso oyster, it is on the Dine LA website but not on the menu for us to try. Our wait staff was Amelia, wow how wonderful it was to have her as our server. She was very polite, very helpful and very personable to make our meal even better.Special Features:
- Asian flareFoodie0910Dined on 1/24/2014Very friendly staff working together as a team to give the best dining experience. Food and presentation was awesome. Veggies cooked perfectly. Bread and Tapenade is a staple to get every time. DineLA menu limited to three great choices showcasing the restaurants variety and skill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable serviceFlacaDined on 1/24/2014Having dined her for lunch on several occasions, dinner once and happy hour many times, I find the service to be extremely reliable. The business lunch offers excellent up-to-date choices for a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient, tasty, free valet!tinylibrarianVIPDined on 1/21/2014Glad that Dine LA gave my friends and I the opportunity to try a restaurant that I had heard so much about!Special Features:
- Very GoodBernieDined on 1/21/2014Had a good experience. made a reservation and there was no wait when we arrived. The food was black cod and paella were delicious. Loved the bread and they had a good wine selection. Server did an outstanding job.Special Features:
- Great value for the $27 SundayibbyDined on 1/19/2014Great value for the $27 Sunday night dinner - all food was great except for the main chicken dish which was uninspired. Wine service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceRazmatazDined on 1/18/2014Admittedly I was a bit concerned about the three and half star rating on Yelp, but our group of six ended having a great time. The ambience, the service and the food were all very good. We ordered a variety of appetizers and main dishes including some sushi. Everything was very good. The prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.