525 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 2132369577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 12:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Shigefumi Tachibe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Chaya Downtown offers a private dining room which can accomodate up to 36 guests. The Covered Patio can also be reserved for private parties up to 60 guests. For more information regarding all your private events contact Elaine Asada at 213-236-9577, Ext. 19. Or directly at 310-508-5356
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th
- Public Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located in the City National Parking Plaza garage on level A. The private elevator will take you directly to Chaya on the ground level. For lunch the first Three Hours are a flat rate of $5.00 with validation, and anything beyond will be charged at the normal rate. Parking for dinner is free for the first Four Hours and a flat rate of $7.00 for anything beyond.
A word from Chaya Downtown
CHAYA Downtown, the newest member of the CHAYA family of restaurants, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, combining urban chic and European sensibility with Japanese hospitality. The menu plays off its French Japanese culinary tradition as it takes diner on an epicurean journey. The modern, chic ambiance sets the mood as diners enter the lively bar and lounge. The spacious dining room is lined with intimate booths that open to the outdoor patio surrounded by lush landscaping. The garden patio is available for bar seating and full dining. A 12-seat sushi bar features a full view of CHAYA sushi chefs at work. CHAYA Downtown offers convenient lunch menu options Monday through Friday for professionals looking to grab a quick bite. Guests can enjoy dinner seven nights a week. Happy Hour at CHAYA is a popular time for downtown dwellers and professionals to enjoy savory small plates and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine and sake list perfectly complements the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chaya Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chaya Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)great for lunch (59)special occasion (59)great for outdoor dining (58)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (26)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Never a disappointmentYummmmDined on 5/31/2014Great food always! We had a party of 40 people last month and it was amazing. Took my in-laws for a dinner for 4 on a Saturday night and it was just as amazing! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great place!DowntownDinerDined on 5/29/2014This is my second time at Chaya and I LOVE it! Food is awesome and so is the staff. Will def visit again soon!Special Features:
- The following 976 reviews are from the Chaya Downtown reviews archive.
- Best Steak I've Had in YEARSPrettyDarnPickyDined on 5/24/2014First, our waiter Dan, was fabulous. He was personable, asked about our activities following dinner and it happened that we were going to see a show at the Ahmenson. It was then that we found out about the shuttle that takes you from the restaurant to and from the Music Center so that's a plus. Parked downstairs and everything worked like clockwork. OK that said, I have special dietary needs at present. He was very accommodating and worked with me and the chef (It wasn't too busy at 6:00 so it was possible to do some substituting). He had a good sense of humor, suggested good cocktails with our meals. Only thing: my husband's salmon looked picture perfect but tasted too fishy. The specialty salad with peaches was unique and just delicious!Special Features:
- Hello! I'm here too . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014Sadly, the food wasn't that great. I was there for a business lunch with a male business partner of mine and the waiter directed all of his energy to my partner and have me gratuitous nods. I found that to be rude and unacceptable. A waiter/waitress should address all parties they are serving.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014We had a good lunch however I felt being rushed at the end. The waiter was anxious to take the plates away and the waitress was anxious to take the bill before our desert was even served! Despite that I still gave them a generous tip. I think they can be TRAINED better. Please do not rush the customers to pay when the food has not been completely brought to the table.Special Features:
- Awesome!GreensmarkVIPDined on 5/18/2014This weeks Sunday menu was a Taste of Spain! It was excellent! The flavours of this menu were superb, mixing fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables into something that I can still taste. Chaya did a Taste of Spain some years ago that was fantastic; this menu has the same flair. One of Downtown LA's best (and still little known) gem for a Sunday night. Great pre-fix menu and half price bottles of wine. You can't beat it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeingVIPDined on 5/17/2014Good food. Waiter wanted to please. He was attentive. But he should study to know his menu better. The hostess seemed disorganized and her attention was elsewhere chatting when we approached the front desk. The 2 Hispanic helpers need to be better trained. They approached and poured wine into used glasses, for the wrong person. They could have asked who ordered the wine and if we wanted them to pour, which would have given us a chance to say these were used glasses from another type of wine. I wish they would not lock us out of the parking lot after theater on a Saturday eve.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoying their foodGM0408VIPDined on 5/11/2014Never a disappointment.... we are regular there and always getting great food, outstanding services and great time!Special Features:
- Always exceeds expectationHoppywifeDined on 5/11/2014Service oriented, consistently good food, consummate professionals, always exceeds expectation.Special Features:
- Excellent Mothers Day BrunchCharmboyDined on 5/11/2014We went on Mothers Day to what they called brunch, but it was like a solid lunch or dinner menu. Very beautriful, with bottomless champagne and mimoas. For $45, a very nice and delicious salad-Kale for my wife, and beets and Oranges for me. Then main course of a unique sushi platter for my wife, and a great chicekent dish for me. Two wonderful desserts. Not hurried, very relaxed, and a small jazz combo playing at just the right volume.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014The bento box had a great assortment of delicious tasting tapas style. The strawberry arugula salad, soft shell crab rolls, egg rolls, sea bass, yellowtail sashimi and NY strip steak were all delcious & perfectly cooked. The mascarpone blueberry compote cheesecake with espresso sauce was very light and a great way to finish the meal.Special Features:
- menu was not what wasnothanksDined on 5/9/2014the menu line vs. the menu once we got there, would have sent me out of there if they hadn't written 'happy birthday' on the menu already. this was my first time at the downtown chaya, venice and beverly hills have been my experience, downtown chaya menu is awful.
- after5Dined on 5/9/2014Always enjoyable to visit Chaya. Brian takes great care of special requests and the food is fab. Chaya has an interesting personality as it walks a fine line between special occasion and favorite hangout - what's wrong with that? I often recommend for lunch and dinner but the hidden gem is the patio in the middle of downtown that makes it so enjoyable. You and/or your guests will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Chaya always deliversFoodieVivVIPDined on 5/3/2014This is a very beautiful restaurant. I am a fan of Chaya in Beverly Hills and it´s gone through many trasformation. Hot spot or not, it has always delivered delicious food. The restaurant downtown has a completely different feel is big, open and modern. It doesn´t look as if they were related, not that it matters, because the food is 100% Chaya.Special Features:
- accommodating servicePasadenaDined on 5/2/2014We were on our way to the theater and had only an hour to eat and catch the shuttle. Our server brought out our dinner quickly, let us pay right away, alerted us to the trolly, and we had a great meal in plenty of time with no worries. She was very nice and didn't act like we were bothering her with our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One GREAT mealTheOspreyDined on 4/26/2014Three of us had the Bento Box. Our fourth had the paella. NOONE was unsatisfied. Portions, quality, unique blending of flavors and textures were outstanding. We will make it back soonSpecial Features:
- bentotarlaVIPDined on 4/26/2014Chaya has great food and is a perfect dinner stop before going to the music center. I especially love the prix fixe bento box dinner -Special Features:
- Great dinning experienceCafegirlDined on 4/22/2014Lunch was super busy and the waiter was slow in coming around to take our order but a funny thing happened which was that our order was expedited in a flash as we picked up someone else's meal who apparently ordered the same menu items. The waiter apologized but we were happy campers, however the other party had a longer wait I'm sure.Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/21/2014One of us had the bento box and the other had the steak salad. Both were great and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Jazz - Take Parents to Sun BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014EuroAsian - This is where Growing Pains meets The Cosby's for Sunday brunch. Perfect "vibe" for brunch with visiting parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Had a business partner staying at the Westin and the location was great.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2014Great restaurant for lunch with vendors and occassional personal visitors. Menu items for lunch are excellent. There is something for everyone. Location is great, food is excellent and sevice has been very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants....CafegirlDined on 4/12/2014For starters, the parking is underground and a quick elevator ride leaves you at the doorstep of Chaya. And parking in the evening is free, can't believe still:-)). The restaurant's interior and patio area is beautiful so it's worth dressing up if that is your thing, ladies!! But best of all the food is an experience, quality and presentation, first rate. In case something doesn't suit your expectations , the General Manager, Zovig Sarkissian, will attend to you. I eat out often, and this is one of my favorites!!!Special Features:
- Great food, excellent locationFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 4/8/2014Always reliable with great consistency with quality and flavor of food and good service.Special Features:
- Great and consistentMoodyDined on 4/5/2014This is a great place for lunch or dinner.. Food is consistently goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average nightRB36VIPDined on 4/5/2014Wanted to do a little date night with a great dinner, ended up being a very average dinner. Best part was the dessert and it was just okSpecial Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!DeesFriendsDined on 4/3/2014Ours was a party of 4 for dinner at 5:30pm (the time the restaurant opened for dinner)after an Ahmanson theater date. We arrived at 5:15 and were able to be seated at the bar where we enjoyed happy hour cocktails before being seated at our table. Two of us shared the bento box special and the other two ordered separate entrees. One of my friends ordered the steak, but the sauce on top of the steak was too spicy for her. The waiter replaced the steak without the sauce. We loved the ambience, the helpful and friendly staff, and the delicious food preparations. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the BentojdpsDined on 4/2/2014The bento was terrific. I would visit again just to see when surprises were in store for that day.Special Features:
- Fine restaurantdowntownsteveDined on 3/28/2014Delicious food, though we liked the salmon, chicken, and appetizers more than the paella. Good specialty cocktails too. Wine list fine, though heavy on expensive items. Service competent, room inviting, atmosphere fine if slightly corporate feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a good place toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2014Definitely a good place to go before theatre or concert downtown. very pretty room, good menu and easy parking with a shuttle option for music center or disney hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Score a Huge Hit!GreensmarkVIPDined on 3/23/2014I am so happy to once again have the most beautiful Sunday Supper at Chaya Downtown! This weeks ingredient was strawberries! Let me just say not once did they lose sight of that. Flavour in every bite. This is the place to go on Sunday night when you want something low key, elegant, easy on the wallet (did I mention 50% off a bottle of wine?) and a really nice way to have a "date nite" with my husband! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya is terrificRegularVIPDined on 3/22/2014This was an incredible dining experience. Appetizers, entrees and dessert were all perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always a consistent favoriteatrisktravelerVIPDined on 3/20/2014Food has always been good and very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening on the patioFromtherockVIPDined on 3/15/2014We ate outside under the heater. Had the seafood, cooked to perfection with great service and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the Paella which wasShowbizLizDined on 3/15/2014I had the Paella which was one of the best I ever had - including in Spain. Drinks were great, too. Only the waiter was a doofus. Forgot an order, had no idea how to split the bill between us and misspelled the food names. If you work at an upscale restayrant like this, learn to pronounce the dishes, please. Otherwise go flip burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sea Bass EverCharmboyDined on 3/11/2014The main course sea bass I had was literally the best fish entree I have ever had. Excellent piece of light white fish, with a delicious sauce, and deliciouso bok choy, rice-like product, and another vegetable. We were a group of 5, and I had a client who "followed my lead" in ordering, and he too really enjoyed the main course. We totally cleaned our plates. My salad with seaweed was not so great, but maybe I did not like seaweed, and I was being adventurous. Service was good, the maitre d was particularly helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, generous portionsFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 3/10/2014The Chaya downtown location is always a great spot for a business lunch meeting, with nice ambiance, great service and convenient parking. The bento boxes are always a good mix of a bit of everything and everything is always tasty and consistent. Fresh and satisfying.Special Features:
- A Downtown Must!AnluVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food is always great. Loved the Ricotta CheesecakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRE-THEATRE DINNER GEMmindexpanderDined on 3/8/2014Perfect for Music Center patrons. Free parking(4hrs). Free shuttle. If you go over 4 hrs, a $7 charge ($9 at M.C). The Bento (6 course) was very good, bread pudding outstanding (extra & worth it, even shared) Enough food, but not so much that one would fall asleep during the performance. Order the steak rare since it is not very thick, however a very nice taste and tender. We had the 6 course Bento. Worth returning for downtown pre theatre events.Special Features:
- The Chaya concept is far fromChasVIPDined on 3/3/2014The Chaya concept is far from new but continues to keep fresh, consistently interesting and is always good. This restaurant group is especially well run. The downtown location may not have the ambiance as the original west side or beach locations but is nice non the less and the service particularly good. You cannot go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.