American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: 8642327665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (50)romantic (35)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The Wednesday BEFORE ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/27/2013My husband and I own a business so this time of year has only brief free moments. When we had one we went to one of our favorite restaurants on the East Coast. It was just as wonderful as always, a special treat, our favorite table by the window, a lovely rabbit for me and a duck for my husband with a bottle of Barbera. We loved every minute of it. Our server was informed, very helpful in the most relaxed way. The evening was a big success and we can return to the holiday buzz with a wonderful memory of this evening.Special Features:
- Food incredible...service?foodluvrVIPDined on 11/26/2013AGR always knocks the food side of the equation out of the park. This time I savored every morsel of my rabbit loin pappardelle. And, my dining companions couldn't stop talking about how delicious their food was. However, as usual we walked away underwhelmed by the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second try-disappointed againgvlfoodieDined on 11/23/2013Snooty and slow service. Especially drinks-our second round took 20 minutes to make and sit on bar until out waiter noticed them and deigned to bring them to us. Overall food was OK with some discordant notes-burned bread, soggy chicken skins, OK but not great pâtés. My second drink tasted just like I imagine a dryer sheet would, but the waiter never noticed that it sat there unconsumed (but to his defense on that he was very busy schmoozing the 4 top of I assume VIPs two tables away from us). This will be the last time I darken the door of AGR-I don't find this type of service in any way alluring.
- Date night & TSOFeedsalotDined on 11/23/2013We had a reservation and the hostess welcomed us and sat us quickly. Our service was very good, but our drinks were a little slow coming from the bar. My wife loved her grilled romaine salad and the triggerfish with mixed squash risotto. And I loved the pork belly with fried egg and the confit rabbit was great. The Mt. Jefferson Pinot Noir was pretty good, too. They take farm to table to a different level. Overall very good and I will definitely go back!!!Special Features:
- Carry out for the American GrocerySharptonAJ3Dined on 11/22/2013This was my second time to the rest. and it was every bit as good as the first, when blown away by foods produced. Will definitely be back and already telling all co-workers if they're headed tomGreenville ... Where they need to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAlexDined on 11/21/2013Our favorite in Greenville, SC, did not disappoint. From the unique cocktails, incredible salads, and inventive and locally-grown entrees, American Grocery fulfills the promise of a great meal. Thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an incredibly bad experienceelbsDined on 11/16/2013We had an incredibly bad experience! Out of soup at 7:15, out of apps at 7:30...took forever to get the one entrée that was ordered at the table. Voiced our disappointment to front of house. "We are a farm to table restaurant and so we don't always have everything." Huh??? Then never heard a word more -- she ignored us completely and there was not an apology or offer to buy us dessert or anything! Shame!
- Another fantastic meal.AndyArnoldDined on 11/15/2013From Whistle Pig to pork belly to grilled romaine to crisp duck breast, I enjoyed every single sip and bite of my meal. As good as it gets in my book. And finish it off with a Blanton's. Neat. A perfect ending. dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Lovers DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013Cozy with a very eclectic menu. We all enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, drinks and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2013Great food, drinks and service. Everything was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthdayNiniDined on 11/2/2013It was awesome , the reservation , the service and the food ! I was there with my 14 years old son and my husband for my anniversary And everything was perfect !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceJennDined on 11/2/2013Our recent experience at American Grocery was great. The service was wonderful and the specialty drink menu was excellent. Each member of our table of four tried a different cocktail and they were all terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special FindNeighborDined on 11/1/2013From the greeting at the door, to the unique drinks from the bar, and most important the amazing food from the chef, this is a dining place you want to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable anniversaryNCTarwheelDined on 10/30/2013Went there to celebrate our anniversary. Our server (the bearded wonder) was personable with the right mix of service and privacy. Nice bourbon selection and chicken skins side was a nice match. Server recommended braised beef tongue and was right on... traditional French flavors with flair. I would DEFINATELY recommend. Wife did the sweet potato/apple soup for app. AMAZING. We brought our wedding cake for desert. They did not object (some chefs would) and even served it for us, provided fresh ice cream, and even some warm cookies for a late night snack. Great space and LOVED the music playlist. My only complaint (and this is a stretch) is that the tables are too far from bench seating. Overall, We loved it and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally GoodwalterschutteVIPDined on 10/17/2013Best restaurant experience in 12 years' of Greenville restaurants. Proof that owner-run, single-site restaurants are your best bet for food, service, and all-round excellence. Wife had rabbit; I beef tongue. Two big wows.Special Features:
- Out of town guests...SazeracDined on 10/15/2013...have been staying with us and we've been introducing them to the Greenville dining experience. We chose AGR for our upper end example and, as usual, were delighted. The four of us are fans of Willamette Pinot Noir so we brought along a bottle of Antica Terra that we had been saving for the occasion. It paired perfectly with the Wild Mushroom Ragout and Rabbit with Gnocchi and mushrooms. They also resurrected one of our favorite mixed drinks, the Smokey Blue. A wonderful lingering evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Rabbit RecipeAnnieBDined on 10/11/2013I grew up eating rabbit, and this succulent preparation is like Mom's on steroids! The tiny mushrooms and small, soft gnocchi in the rabbit gravy were perfect accompaniments. I had the pear salad beforehand, which was dressed with a light citrus dressing. This will remain one of the most memorable meals I've eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in downtownEnjoyFoodBizAndPleasureVIPDined on 10/3/2013Excellent find in downtown Greenville for business dinner. Unique and delicious things from the bar and on the menu. Be sure to get the surprise drink based on your preferences. I had spicy and it was. Local farm fresh produce and meats. Really liked the feel of the place. Reserve ahead of time, especially for a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- empty nesters date nite24dinnerDined on 9/27/2013This restaurant is just down the road from us and we read good reviews online so decided to try it. The food and service were excellent. The duck was the best I've ever had. The waiter was extremely helpful in recommending wines to go with our entree choices. It is a little pricey but well worth it. Would be a great choice for early dining before a show at the Peace Center and for any special occasion or date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationBOBWDined on 9/21/2013We recently celebrated our 57th wedding anniversary at AGR. The quality and presentation of the meal was excellent. The entire staff extended best wishes on our anniversary and presented us with a complimentary glass of Brut. We enjoyed our dinner experience and plan to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Farm to Table, Super MixologyGvlDinerDined on 9/20/2013This has been our anniversary spot for the last three years. We love American Grocery and we were pleasantly surprised by their mixology offerings. We highly recommend ARG for a great evening of dining.Special Features:
- Foodie heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Fabulous food, attentive service. Good every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our recent evening at AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2013Our recent evening at American grocery was fabulous! Our meal was simply delicious. We did the chef's choice four course and loved every bite. Just a perfect evening. Our waiter didn't miss a beat! Just enough attention -right there anytime we needed him. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All goodBubbDined on 9/5/2013Grouper was very tasty. The beef tongue is a home run. Also had to try the Sriracha fried chicken skins and the fried deviled egg...also greatSpecial Features:
- Very memorable eveningDanHinzDined on 8/31/2013Commitment to regional producers and small vintners is strong. Food was imaginatively prepared and, with one exception, outstanding: the bread accompanying the chacuterie/cheese plate was grilled to the point of being charred. Everything else measured up to one of the best meals I can recall. Wine list is ample and filled with relatively unfamiliar producers, expertly chosen by sommelier and co-owner Darlene! The Italian red recommended for my meal was fanastic and a real value. Service was appropriately attentive and very knowledgeable in responding to questions and making recommendations. To top it off, Darlene engaged me in an informative conversation about food suppliers and wines, putting the fifth star on the evening's rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greenville Dining Perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2013We dined here for an anniversary - told the restaurant via Open Table reservation, and requested a nice table. They were ready for us when we walked through the door! Complimentary sparkling wine, a beautiful table, and everyone greated us w/ "happy anniversary!" Great cocktail list. My spouse could not resist the Bulleit Rye whiskey (which is served in an authentic bottle, hand cut into an old-fashioned glass). The food was absolutely outstanding. We started with the charcuterie plate and added a "fried" deviled egg (it was amazing). Then split a fresh fig salad. I had the trout, served over a grit cake and ladled with a veggie mix that was divine. Hubby had the grouper. Fresh peach cobbler for dessert. Absolutely fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2013A few years ago, read about this restaurant as part of the hopping Greensboro, NC food scene. It was in the vanguard then and it still warrants top tier status.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, Scrumptious, Gourmet MealFRIARDined on 8/28/2013American Grocery prides itself on using fresh local ingredients which they turn into creative menu choices that seem to always turn out delicious. Our experience with two couples included something different from every aspect of the meal, appetizers, salads, main courses and dessert with courses of wine. There were no misses which is remarkable for any restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNathanDined on 8/24/2013We have been here a few times - honestly this was not the greatest night but it was still very good. It was Foodie Fest so the place was pretty busy and service was a bit on the slow side. Dessert was good but not exceptional. Appetizers and entrées were both exceptional. Taken as a whole American Grocery is one of my favorite restaurants. I highly recommend it - if you're looking for the ultimate night I would avoid the Foodie Fest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013My wife and I have come here a few times and we are always super impressed with everything! I finally got to try the braised beef tongue, and was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Grocery is a greatGreenville11Dined on 8/24/2013American Grocery is a great restaurant and I've been impressed by the quality of the food. The only reason American Grocery doesn't rank in my top restaurants in Greenville is because of the portion sizes. For $30 entrees, I believe the portion sizes should be bigger (as well as the portion sizes for appetizers and desserts).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSteveDined on 8/24/2013Excellent service, presentation of food outstanding, very nice atmosphere. Tremendous menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, great serviceSCProfVIPDined on 8/23/2013Dinner tonight was fairly average. Entrees were nothing special and somewhat over salted. Our server was very attentive and made every accommodation. We were disappointed the good didn't match the service. Maybe an off night?
- Great ingredients, Poor executionJohnVIPDined on 8/22/2013You can tell that someone is putting some real effort into getting good fresh ingredients. The cooking though is not 1st class. I would rate this a 6 on a 10 scale. The service very lacking, probably a 4. Would not return here....hopefully this is not the best that Charlotte has to offer.
- Creative Farm to Table CuisineUntamedPalateDined on 8/21/2013Small, locally owned and creative, American Grocery delivers upscale farm-to-table cuisine crafted from locally sourced, seasonal ingredients. Known for their braised beef tongue (served pulled, not whole) and house made charcuterie, the ever changing menu creates a sense of interest for an adventurous, Southern palate. Not to be forgotten, American Grocery has assembled one of the most original, forward-thinking and appealing cocktail programs in the area. Must try's include the Pig on the Porch (bacon infused bourbon) and any of their award winning St. Germaine cocktails. The exemplary service is a standout in Greenville's generally "job" not "career" oriented food-service industry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food WeekDaveDined on 8/21/2013We went to American Grocery for a special three course menu for Greenville Food Week. It is very good. The restaurant is small and the tables are very close together, so don't expect to have an intimate conversation. The regular menu can be a bit pricey, but we had a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2013I have been wanting to try American Grocery for awhile and I was not disappointed. I had the mussels and the trout....wonderful. Would definitely go back although it is a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinner for 2 FoodiesFoodieLoversDined on 8/20/2013The food is always uniquely creative and simultaneously delicious! Love the ambience, service from friendly staff, and the special cookies for my birthday (and no embarrassing singing to accompany the treat). A perfect date night for a special occasion! This restaurant may just be the #1 foodie spot in Greenville! At least it is in our book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on the Foodie Fest promotion.RG06Dined on 8/20/2013Went on the Foodie Fest promotion. It was a great experience. The Beef Tongue was outstanding. We had a wonderful chocolate desert that was very well balanced and complex without being really sweet. The waiter was very helpful. He was very well informed about the menu and drinks and patient with our questions. I look forward to being able to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Coudn't haveFoodieDined on 8/20/2013Food was great. Coudn't have been any better prepared. But don't go if you want to have a quiet conversation evening with companions. Even at half full it was so loud. They could do with some sound deadening materials. We probably won't return.Special Features: