American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: 8642327665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)special occasion (43)romantic (33)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (9)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014We visited American Grocery to celebrate our anniversary. The reviews we read before making our decision were very accurate. The service was wonderful, attentive but not intrusive. The food was either over the top or bland. The fried deviled egg is a must have. I am glad we had the American Grocery Experience but we will probably not return.Special Features:
- Not a place I could affordRosieDined on 3/14/2014Not a place I could afford to go every week, but the food was great. We both got the fried deviled egg. Delicious. The ribeye was cooked perfectly. We shared the cobbler for two and fought over the last bite. Friendly and helpful wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatTimeDined on 3/12/2014This was my second time eating at American Grocery and it was just as excellent as before. The aspect that I love is that the menu changes. So every time that you dine, it can be a whole different experience. We had the cheese plate and the pork belly for the appetizer. Both were amazing! The entree's were a smaller portion than you would see at an average restaurant but after the appetizers, it wasn't necessary to have a huge entree. The service was outstanding. Our server was there when we needed him and left us to dine quietly- even the support staff was quick to replace silverware and to take plates. I would recommend American Grocery for a date night AND a weeknight meal. Don't miss this restaurant!Special Features:
- Quality good and friendly serviceFlatstickDined on 3/12/2014Had a good business dinner. The atmosphere is comfortable and the food is excellent. Very friendly staff. My only concern is the good preparation seemed to take an extended amount of time. It was great but if you are in any sort of time constraint it may be difficult. I do recommend it regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could match up against anywhereGreenvillianVIPDined on 2/28/2014The food, the menu, the ambiance could match up against any other restaurant in the Carolina's or Georgia. Always happy to see the place packed on a Friday night. Food was outstanding, the wine list complete and VERY reasonably priced. Owners Darlene and Joe know their stuff! Do yourself a favor and try this place out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentdp3326Dined on 2/22/2014From the starting drinks to the dessert, absolutely excellent. Make sure you try one of their creative cocktails. The fried devil eggs as an appetizer were so good we ordered another one. Excellent entrees and dessert. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to tableDeliciousnessDined on 2/22/2014New to the upstate and have been looking for restaurants that identify their food sources and have cooperative arrangements with the local growers and farmers, etc. The good news is that the creations with those local products are exceptional at AGR! Incredible flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalWendywitchDined on 2/22/2014Fabulous dining experience, attentive staff and an overall wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!!highlandheavenVIPDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food and preparation!! Top notch service!!! We had rabbit liver for the first time ever and it was to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought the food qualityAllenDined on 2/15/2014I thought the food quality equalled the complexity and diversity of both the menu and the wine list. The rabbit gnocci was the best I've ever eaten, anywhere. I've found that very few restaurants in the southeast can actually pull off "fresh" farm fresh dinners. This place is one of them. I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightFoodfanaticDined on 2/15/2014The food was amazing as usual but the service was slower than expected. We arrived early for our reservation but were sat about 30 minutes after our reservation time. Our server was very knowledgable when we got to see her but not as intimate of service as we were used to. I am well aware that Saturdays are stressful in the service industry but the restaurant seemed to be slightly under staffed. Never the less the food is amazing and we will continue to be patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ProblemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Our third time visiting, but it was a real discouragement, and we won't be back. We were early for our reservation but ultimately seated late, it was hard to get the attention of servers, our entrees arrived cool, only after prompting and two hours after our initial order. A patron next to us was overserved and actually passed out at her table - her husband clapping and hooting to wake her up went unseen or unaddressed by the staff. I like their creative, locally-sourced options, think their bartender is a cranky creative genius, but this meal created drama in all the wrong ways. Wish it were different, I wanted to be regulars.
- Limited, Outstanding Vegan OptionsNewVeganDined on 2/15/2014Vegan options were limited but the meal was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitValentineDined on 2/14/2014We dined on Valentine's day. The food was great, but pricey. The menu was fixed due to the occasion. The restaurant is small and we had to wait at the bar, but didn't feel crowded. Don't know about the regular menu, but the special event's menu was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold and too cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We paid a lot for a valentine dinner out, we were placed in a veranda area where they had to place a heater. There were 5 couples sitting in one area and you were only about a foot from each couple on either side when we had planned a nice dinner together. Food was good and service excellent but not worth the $75 valentine dinner per person especially due to the unplanned group sitting. We had conversation with our neighbor and could hear their conversation and they could hear ours. Nice, but very tight quarters.Special Features:
- Amazing date experienceluvgreenvilleDined on 2/14/2014AGR is our favorite place to dine in Greenville. The atmosphere, service, food and beverage selection are beyond amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is worth all the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2014I've been living in Greenville for 4 years and heard amazing things about American Grocery and we finally tried. Yup- it is as good as everyone says. If you aren't a "foodie", the menu might seem a bit unaccessible but try something and you'll love it! The cheese plate was AMAZING! I had mussels- yummo and a delicious salad. The cocktails are fantastic as well. Go. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMPURC3017Dined on 2/1/2014My rabbit entree was very good, not excellent, but enjoyable nonetheless. Everything else was super! The charcuterie starter, the red zin (County Line), sweet potato biscuits with bacon jam (!!!) and dessert (sticky toffee pudding cake) were outstanding. Love the ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, but...DWWDVIPDined on 1/31/2014The food was absolutely delicious. But I always find the menu to be very limited, often with very strange and odd meats that I do not prefer to eat. So there is usually just 1 or 2 items on menu I am willing to order. BUT, those 1 or 2 items are delicious. So, if you are a picky eater, avoid here as the options are limited. The prices are also very expensive as compared to rest of the downtown area, so 2 people with drinks will easily reach $150-200 by end of night, so that also keeps me from going there often.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food...too long a waitJimboVIPDined on 1/31/2014The tilefish , duck and sweetbreads were all delicious. We arrived 15 minutes early and were seated with an "early is better " from the hostess. The restaurant was aware we had an 8 o'clock show to make. Our entrees arrived at 7:30 and it was all we could do to get to the show...desserts weren't even an option.Special Features:
- Outstanding & Eclectic1HappyDinerDined on 1/18/2014This menu was very unique and everything was delicious! Appetizers of warm sweet potato and apple soup or the meatball were both amazing. The beef tongue is such a weird menu item but could easily be labeled shredded beef it was so tender and perfectly cooked. It was paired with a beef tenderloin which was equally yummy! Dessert was a decadent treat of toffee pudding cake or apple crisp, which is more of a fresh apple taste than overly caramelized. Both were just splendid. The dark ambiance was romantic. This is a great place for foodies and couples!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most satisfyingTruffleFriedDined on 1/17/2014Love that it supports and recognizes local farms. Spectacular menu of seasonal flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh??MikeDeasDined on 1/17/2014If it's a quiet romantic evening you're looking for, you may want to keep looking. A full house on a Friday or Saturday night will mean you're signing to your partner across the table from you. But if you're in for culinary excellence, it doesn't get much better in Greenville than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly balancedSwirlDined on 1/15/2014We were so thankful to have tried American Grocery during Restaurant Week. I arrived first and perused the cocktail menu. I was pleased that though the options were diverse and appealing, one is encouraged to give the bartender a little guidance and a bespoke libation can be made. We ordered one of their signature items and a standard cocktail - both of which were wonderful. All I will say about everything we had throughout dinner was presented beautifully and composed thoughtfully. It is not often the vision and execution of a dish are so aligned. From texture to seasoning to spice it simply works. The service and ambiance set the stage so the food and company shine brightest...just as I had hoped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Did Not DisappointHeadforbeerDined on 1/15/2014First visit to the restaurant, my wife's birthday dinner. We've just moved from the San Francisco Bay Area and are looking for comparable quality establishments... and found one. We enjoyed the Restaurant Week menu, gave us an opportunity to sample a good variety of the kitchen's offerings and every thing we ate, we would order again, especially the starter course mussels. We also liked that the special menu has smaller portions, we were comfortably sated by dinner's end but not stuffed! We've found that a big difference here (the South in general) is that portions are usually larger than we are accustomed to. But it all works, cause we share a lot and eat off the appetizer menu frequently as well. Their draft beer selection is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had a wonderful dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2014we had a wonderful dinner, great food, relaxed setting, just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in townOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2014What more can I say? IMO, American Grocery is serving the best food in town. Check it out for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in every way..food wasErickmanDined on 1/12/2014Great in every way..food was wonderful as was the service. The wait staff was vert attentive. A complete dining experience. Cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Best Food in TownDowntownerDined on 1/11/2014We have eaten here a handful of times, and have never been disappointed. It was slightly louder this last time we went because they were gracious enough to participate in restaurant week, and had killer deals. We enjoyed 3 courses for $30 and everything was tremendous. The beef duo was one of the entree options, and it was to die for. We also love the cocktail menu here - best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal in close quartersGreenvillianDined on 1/10/2014Delicious meal. Tables are a little too close. You have to be careful what you're saying and how loud, so it's not the place to go to for an intimate dinner conversation. Maybe there's another way to arrange the tables? Can't put my finger on it but it was a tad uncomfortable...even though we've been to many restaurants in NYC where there was even less room, maybe their music was perfectly loud enough that you didn't hear the conversations next to you but could hear your own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- currently best restaurant in GreenvtraveldineDined on 1/7/2014This is perhaps the fourth time we've been there; it was a quiet Tuesday since we were avoiding the restaurant week craziness. The food is beautifully prepared and always interesting. I think they could work on the physical setting some: the bar is nice enough but many tables give you a view of the doors to the kitchen (no screen) and while sitting by the window is much nicer, it was incredibly cold. I knew they did wonderful things with meat, but was impressed by both desserts we had this time. The chocolate meringue tart was especially nice. This time I had beef tongue and it was wonderful. My husband said his trout was far better than the last he'd had at Deveraux's. You won't find a better restaurant in Greenville right now.Special Features:
- Pure AmazingPitmasterDined on 1/2/2014There isn't many restaurants in South Carolina that are even on the same level. If you're a foodie, love good wine or just want a great dinner experience this is the place!Special Features:
- Delightful EveningoutandaboutDined on 12/31/2013We celebrated New Year's Eve at American Grocery with some friends, and it couldn't have been more delightful. The menu was four courses prix fix with varied selections. There were plenty of options to please every palate, and each dish was perfectly prepared. Our service was wonderful, as well. We believe that American Grocery is one of the top restaurants in Greenville (maybe even #1), and look forward to dining with them again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tremendous additon to Greenville'OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013A tremendous additon to Greenville's downtown dining, and an admirable example of the farm-to-table movement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNiniDined on 12/28/2013When you want to eat different and locals products this is the place . The service is very good and they take good care of you ! I love this place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Noch FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013Very interesting items on the menu, and well prepared. Well stocked bar, and creative drinks. All their food is locally produced and of high quality. The restaurant has attractive decor, but is relatively small, and the tables fairly close together. The service is excellent. Overall, a very enjoyable evening for us. I would highly recommend this for those who appreciate creative, well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013The 4 course mail was amazing. The best I have had in Greenville. The time between courses could have been faster.Special Features:
- Great Food, Mediocre ServiceASW543Dined on 12/27/2013Through other reviews as well as my own experience, the food and cocktails are second to none in Greenville. Likewise, the running theme of less than average service for a restaurant of this caliber coincides with other reviews I have read. Service can best be described as "indifferent" to the patron as to whether you enjoy your dining experience or not. I wouldn't rate it as poor necessarily, but I have definitely had better service at chain restaurants. I hope the staff reads these reviews and is motivated to change their attitudes toward service. I would frequent the restaurant more if they did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with visiting familyNathanDined on 12/26/2013This is a favorite of mine - we brought our (tasteful and discerning) family for a post-Christmas dinner and were not disappointed. Service was excellent, for a non-english-speaking party of 6 it was seamlessly handled, each course served quickly and with great presentation. Great wine recommendation from the server, and a couple of excellent digestif suggestions as well. Overall the food was fantastic, with the sweet potato soup, winter vegetable salad, and braised beef tongue being standouts. The salt crusted ribeye was excellent (and a nice presentation of the uncooked steak), but if you are eating here there are other things to try that are really more unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocktails and cuisineroadfoodiesDined on 12/26/2013We've enjoyed eating here on our trips through Greenville. Romantic, excellent food and a novel cocktail menu will keep us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.