American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: 8642327665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)special occasion (53)romantic (38)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (10)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The food is exceptional, well thought out and executed. Each individual component of the plate is outstanding on it's own but complements all other items on the plate.Special Features:
- Girls weekend Fab find2fabulousDined on 5/17/2014My best friend & I were hanging in Greenville for our long overdue girls weekend & always seek out fab food finds. This is a keeper. I am in our Greenville office a lot & American Grocery will be my go to when overnight or group dinner is needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Grocery RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We dined at the American Grocery Restaurant on Friday, May 16th. We brought our 7 year old son, and were thankful that they tucked us into a corner/out of the way table. We had traveled up from Charleston and had spent 4 hours in the car before arriving, so our son was a bit wiggly. The restaurant was very gracious in accomodating our late arrival- we initially had a 6pm reso, but called to ask it be pushed back to 6:30 since we were encountering heavy traffic. The food was wonderful. The drinks and wine selections perfect. We had the Earl Greyer, along with a couple of glass wine selections to go with our meal. The server was knowledgable and helped guide our selections. We look forward to returning for another meal at this fabulous place!Special Features:
- Celebration dinner24dinnerDined on 5/13/2014My husband and I took our two grown children and my mother there to celebrate Mother's Day and our son's college graduation. We had early reservations (6:15) and the place to ourselves for the first 45 minutes. The noise level did go up once the restaurant was full but it was not too loud. The air conditioning happened to be out of order, but there were plenty of fans going so it was pretty comfortable. The service was excellent and the food outstanding. We got 3 different appetizers, all of which were great and each of us ordered a different entree. We each got dessert as well. I would highly recommend the mussels as an appetizer and the buttermilk cake for dessert. This was my second visit for dinner and I will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in every way!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We are frequent diners at AGR . Our last visit was for the Mother's Day brunch. Exquisite cuisine as always. Greenville should appreciate AGR. It is a restaurant that you might find in a major city; the locals are very fortunate to be able to dine at AGR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Amazing! On the rare occasion once or twice a year that it is served.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch 2014ConnieDined on 5/11/2014American Grocery was a wonderful restaurant to spend Mother's Day enjoying brunch. They offered a special menu with a special bar menu as well. The menu was imaginative and offered something for everyone's taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother Day BrunchTomcatDined on 5/11/2014Excellent all around. Great Mother's Day Brunch, timed just right with Artisphere happening in Greenville ! Price was outstanding.Special Features:
- TigerDined on 5/10/2014First time for us at this restaurant. It was very enjoyable experience. Only down side was the cost to have that enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- SuperbavndkVIPDined on 5/6/2014You cannot beat the lamb tongue - or the confit of rabbit. I cannot stop raving about the special dessert of the evening: lemon curd ice cream sandwiches, the cookies were thin blondies, and the peeking ice cream was covered in crushed pistachios, it was phenomenal. I also very much enjoyed the kale "caesar" salad, the Parmesan crackers are delicious. Parking on the street is pretty difficult, but there is a $1 by the hour parking lot, just behind the restaurant (on the corner). The staff is very attentive, typically I feel rushed since I travel alone for business, but I spent 3 hours dining and enjoying my book. I can't make a trip to Greenvile without visit this place! Oh, do try the wine flight, and the strawberry rhubarb mocktail.Special Features:
- just okDebrobinsonscDined on 5/2/2014Unfortunately we had a waitress in training who had to keep going back to ask questions and one of us had scallops that were raw and had to send them back.then they tasted burnt so she had to order a different meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary spotcbunnDined on 4/26/2014We had an excellent dinner at American Grocery. The food was incredible, especially the mussels and the biscuits...and the rabbit and the lemon custard shortbread dessert! The service was great as well, super hospitable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the EveningBobbyDined on 4/25/2014The hostesses and waitstaff were exceptional and made sure we were served promptly to allow time to go to the Peace Center to see Flashdance. Smoked blue cheese and rabbit mousse, and fresh ricotta salad were excellent. The salmon and trout entrees were very good. The wine pairing offered by our waiter were spot on.Special Features:
- Favorite place in townluv67dineVIPDined on 4/23/2014I prefer American Grocery over any other place in Greenville. Farm to table at its best. The menu is always changing, but the great service and wonderful atmosphere are always constant.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal!TwoshoesVIPDined on 4/22/2014Went with a group of girlfriends and we had an outstanding experience. Everything was top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectionSunshineDined on 4/19/2014Best meal I've had in Greenville in years. Every morsel of food is clearly well thought out and pairs perfectly with everything on the plate. A shining example of the importance of complementary flavor profiles. Hadn't been there in years-big mistake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentAParkerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Another great meal. Thank you, again! We look forward to our next rendezvous.Special Features:
- Perfect for FoodiesJudyDined on 4/19/2014Whenever we want to go to a restaurant that prepares local food gourmet style, we go to American Grocery! I never ever would have thought that I would eat, let alone LOVE, beef tongue, but it is my very favorite entree on the menu. I also love their grilled romaine lettuce salad with goat cheese - it is just amazing! You can't go wrong with this restaurant, and I appreciate the way that the food is fresh and that they support local farmers - all of their food, down to the last cup of coffee, is local!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing local, fresh cuisineDaniDined on 4/12/2014What a wonderful treat to dine at American Grocery. Unique cocktails, extensive wine selection, outstanding menu. I cannot think of a better place to spend an evening out than this amazing restaurant.Special Features:
- They were out of a few dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014They were out of a few dishes and all top shelf Gin. It was a Saturday night at 7 so this was a little unexpected. Running out of food was understandable because they are a small restaurant and can't keep a lot of portions on hand, but the Gin was a different story. That being said all back up dishes and drinks were also spectacular.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed dinner with ourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014We enjoyed dinner with our adult children! What a treat to see them try some of the more adventurous menu items. The service was wonderful and the staff took the time to educate us on the ingredients and preparation. I would highly recommend American Grocery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Grocery Restaurant- GvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Absolutley outstanding! I had Veal Sweetbreads for a starter and Rabbit Confit and they were unbelievable. It was by far the best dining experience I have had in all of SC! Can't wait to go back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As advertised!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014We have been told by many friends that American Grocery is a must do! It was as advertised. The seating was a little disappointing, however the food and service more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant In GreenvilleAugustaDinerDined on 3/22/2014This was our first visit to this amazing restaurant. The staff, including one of the owners, treated us like royalty. Our server was extremely knowledgable about the food and wine. He was not afraid to respond to our requests for recommendations and his answers were always correct. And the food-it was exceptional. In a city full of fine restaurants, this one is at the top . Well done!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ExperienceRMWEBDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I were very impressed with our meals and the wine list had some unique selections in the middle price range. We will go back again soon.Special Features:
- Farm-To-Table GemBirthdayGirlsDined on 3/20/2014Loved everything about our dinner, the excellent,m unobtrusive service, and the gracious welcome by the co-owner of the restaurant who so graciously called us to make certain we weren't lost! It was very kind of her to call, as we were driving around searching for accessible parking--- which we found in good order. Sancerre chardonnay started our evening off beautifully, as did a welcome note awaiting our arrival, thanking us for choosing American Grocery Restaurant for a Birthday Celebration. From the French linen napkins to the decaf for dessert, a very memorable way to celebrate another year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found no where else cocktailsbeauregardDined on 3/14/2014Found no where else cocktails were the best part of dinner. The food was southern, local and uniquely prepared. Fried deviled eggs and chicken skin starters where hits. Rabbit dishes were interesting. Service was slooooow! Try going week night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Comes from HerestelunastarDined on 3/14/2014We had friends visiting who used to live in Greenville, but now live in Seattle. When asked where they wanted to eat, weeks ahead of time, this was their number one choice. They had dreams about the beef tongue from when they used to frequent American Grocery when they lived here previously and were just as satisfied. The wine and cocktail list is notable. The food is high quality and put together beautifully. It is pricey, but worth it on occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014We visited American Grocery to celebrate our anniversary. The reviews we read before making our decision were very accurate. The service was wonderful, attentive but not intrusive. The food was either over the top or bland. The fried deviled egg is a must have. I am glad we had the American Grocery Experience but we will probably not return.Special Features:
- Not a place I could affordRosieDined on 3/14/2014Not a place I could afford to go every week, but the food was great. We both got the fried deviled egg. Delicious. The ribeye was cooked perfectly. We shared the cobbler for two and fought over the last bite. Friendly and helpful wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatTimeDined on 3/12/2014This was my second time eating at American Grocery and it was just as excellent as before. The aspect that I love is that the menu changes. So every time that you dine, it can be a whole different experience. We had the cheese plate and the pork belly for the appetizer. Both were amazing! The entree's were a smaller portion than you would see at an average restaurant but after the appetizers, it wasn't necessary to have a huge entree. The service was outstanding. Our server was there when we needed him and left us to dine quietly- even the support staff was quick to replace silverware and to take plates. I would recommend American Grocery for a date night AND a weeknight meal. Don't miss this restaurant!Special Features:
- Quality good and friendly serviceFlatstickDined on 3/12/2014Had a good business dinner. The atmosphere is comfortable and the food is excellent. Very friendly staff. My only concern is the good preparation seemed to take an extended amount of time. It was great but if you are in any sort of time constraint it may be difficult. I do recommend it regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could match up against anywhereGreenvillianVIPDined on 2/28/2014The food, the menu, the ambiance could match up against any other restaurant in the Carolina's or Georgia. Always happy to see the place packed on a Friday night. Food was outstanding, the wine list complete and VERY reasonably priced. Owners Darlene and Joe know their stuff! Do yourself a favor and try this place out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentdp3326Dined on 2/22/2014From the starting drinks to the dessert, absolutely excellent. Make sure you try one of their creative cocktails. The fried devil eggs as an appetizer were so good we ordered another one. Excellent entrees and dessert. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to tableDeliciousnessDined on 2/22/2014New to the upstate and have been looking for restaurants that identify their food sources and have cooperative arrangements with the local growers and farmers, etc. The good news is that the creations with those local products are exceptional at AGR! Incredible flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalWendywitchDined on 2/22/2014Fabulous dining experience, attentive staff and an overall wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!!highlandheavenVIPDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food and preparation!! Top notch service!!! We had rabbit liver for the first time ever and it was to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought the food qualityAllenDined on 2/15/2014I thought the food quality equalled the complexity and diversity of both the menu and the wine list. The rabbit gnocci was the best I've ever eaten, anywhere. I've found that very few restaurants in the southeast can actually pull off "fresh" farm fresh dinners. This place is one of them. I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightFoodfanaticDined on 2/15/2014The food was amazing as usual but the service was slower than expected. We arrived early for our reservation but were sat about 30 minutes after our reservation time. Our server was very knowledgable when we got to see her but not as intimate of service as we were used to. I am well aware that Saturdays are stressful in the service industry but the restaurant seemed to be slightly under staffed. Never the less the food is amazing and we will continue to be patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ProblemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Our third time visiting, but it was a real discouragement, and we won't be back. We were early for our reservation but ultimately seated late, it was hard to get the attention of servers, our entrees arrived cool, only after prompting and two hours after our initial order. A patron next to us was overserved and actually passed out at her table - her husband clapping and hooting to wake her up went unseen or unaddressed by the staff. I like their creative, locally-sourced options, think their bartender is a cranky creative genius, but this meal created drama in all the wrong ways. Wish it were different, I wanted to be regulars.