American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: 8642327665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (50)special occasion (42)romantic (32)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My dining experience was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2009My dining experience was wonderful. The flavor that the chef packs into his dishes was an experience in itself. This place is at the top of my list.Special Features:
- Overall atmosphere was pleasant,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2009Overall atmosphere was pleasant, the service was outstanding. Food was very tasty, but portions were small.Special Features:
- One of the better meals IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2009One of the better meals I have had in Greenville. It's maybe a little more pricey than many of the other options in downtown but well worth it. The menu had interesting and different items. The foie gras appetizer, in particular, was really delicious.Special Features:
- The food and service at AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2009The food and service at American Grocery was top-notch. They always have execellent wine recommendations from specialized wineries. The night we dined, the dessert was the only part of our dinnier that did not meet our expectations. A specail place.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2009The food and service were outstanding. One of Greenville's best. Not a great place for small kids since they do not have any boosters or high chairs.
- AGR is unique among upstateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2009AGR is unique among upstate restaurants. We look forward to many more enjoyable evenings at AGR.Special Features:
- We had a terrific experienceColaKVIPDined on 3/7/2009We had a terrific experience at American Grocery. We arrived for an early dinner before going to a show at the Peace Center. Our waiter was helpful and friendly. He steered us to a terrific wine. The whole staff pitched in and the service was flawless. The food was fresh and delicious - including amazing desserts. The space is beautiful and comfortable. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Overall, a very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2009Overall, a very enjoyable experience. The service was attentive and prompt. The food was excellent and priced reasonably given the high quality. The fried goat cheese starter was a very pleasant surprise - outstanding! The seating near the front window was a bit cramped for the three couples sitting at adjacent tables and for the servers to move in and out. Nonetheless, I would definitely return. I enthusiastically support the restauarant's commitment to using locally grown foods.
- We have eaten at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/20/2009We have eaten at this restaurant several times and enjoyed the food very much on those prior occasions, but our last dinner had a lamb dish on the menu that was an uninspired stew. It is disappointing that lamb was treated so poorly. Then the evening ended with the waiter, without a word, dropping the check on the table shortly after the dessert was served. Even at the chain restaurants the wait staff are trained to deliver the kind words ''take your time no hurry".Special Features:
- The food was great and seversOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009The food was great and severs were attentive. However I thought it was on the expensive side. I'm basing my remarks on comparison to other Greenville fine restaurants and dining experiences in Big cities.
- We had the pre fix menu onOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2009We had the pre fix menu on Valentine's day and felt that our overall experience wasn't worth the cost. The food was good and the service was good, but it didn't justify a $260 bill for two. We had the selected wines with our meal and were surprised to find that it consisted of a $35 tasting for 4 selections. Overall, we would say it was a decent but overpriced restaurant.
- Very good food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/13/2009Very good food and service. You should give it a try.
- We enjoyed our meal (the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2009We enjoyed our meal (the food was outstanding). The price was a little on the high side compared to other similar restuarants. Seating is very close. We felt like we were sitting on top of the couple next to us. This was our valentines dinner and it wasn't quite as romantic as I had hoped. However, the food was great, one of the best in Greenville.
- Best Trout I've ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/3/2009Best Trout I've ever had! Great veggies too! I'll be back.Special Features:
- Dinner was very good. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/24/2009Dinner was very good. Very small menu, very high prices. Not sure if it's worth the money though.Special Features:
- This restaurant is my currentEdotDined on 1/17/2009This restaurant is my current favorite. American Grocery uses local ingredients from the Carolina's whenever possible. The menu changes to accomodate the freshest ingredients. The service is excellent and accomodating. The servers are very helpful, explaining the dishes and the wine list.Special Features:
- AGR is quickly becoming myOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/16/2009AGR is quickly becoming my top restaurant in Greenville. I've dined there on several occassions and each expereince has topped the previous one. The constantly updating menus, locally sourced produce and meats, perosnal touch and impeccable service is fabulous. During my last visit, the mushroom potato tart with parsley pesto was divine, the grouper was perfect and the coffee flan sent us over the edge.Special Features: