Chez Panisse Cafe
1517 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Chez Panisse Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezpanisse.com/
- Phone: 5105485049x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Alice Waters
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Panisse offers private party bookings in the downstairs dining room for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Sherman 510-548-5066x
- Special Events: Celebrate Bastille Day with garlic, wine, and live French music.
A word from Chez Panisse Cafe
The Café at Chez Panisse, located upstairs, opened in 1980 to offer an alternative to the set menu served in the Restaurant downstairs. The Café offers a moderately priced à la carte menu for both lunch and dinner. It has an open kitchen along one side of the room with a charcoal grill and a wood burning oven. The menu changes daily and is inspired by local, seasonal ingredients. Reservations are recommended. Please call and let the reservationist know if anyone in your party requires special accommodation to access our upstairs Café dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Chez Panisse Cafe - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Chez Panisse Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
450 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (356)special occasion (305)great for lunch (213)neighborhood gem (206)romantic (136)notable wine list (125)hot spot (52)good for groups (35)great for brunch (34)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- from the first call...edblumDined on 8/8/2014even the reservationist is great. Then comes the hostess who recognizes you and calls you by name the 2nd time you meet her. Hard to beat that. But then there's the ever helpful wait staff, topped only by the first rate meal. Great formula. Keep it up people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but not that specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Solid meal as always, but the spicy gulf shrimp stew wasn't that spicy, and you couldn't much tell that the polenta was sweet. The Buttermilk fried chicken was solid, but not 25$ solid. The Nectarine Galette was good but not memorable. They've got to raise the bar even though it's just the Cafe. You can't just rely on good ingredients and good wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/7/2014This is where you come for a reminder of how good food can be. The flavors are allowed to speak for themselves, not hidden in kitchen alchemy. Fresh, local ingredients prepared with sound simplicity, served thoughtfully in an elegant setting, and accompanied with a splendid wine. Nobody does it better.Special Features:
- A perfect anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We arrive directly from Laguna Beach we were 20 minutes late but fortunately we were accommodated and got our table. The food was delicious and served with Grace. Fresh locally sourced ingredients make such a difference and nobody does it better than Cez Panisse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodIndianfoodieDined on 8/7/2014As one would expect at an Alice Waters restaurant the food was excellent. This was my second visit and I love the food. However the salads are very pricey for the small amounts they serve. I also found the desserts quite pricey so my husband and I shared one. I also don't quite like the 17% gratuity they tack on to the bill automatically. The service is good but nothing extraordinary and with the food already so expensive, 17% can be a substantial amount. But then I guess you have to pay all that for the privilege of eating there. Would I come there again? Of course I would, but I probably won't order a salad and may have to split the dessert again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMargo86Dined on 8/6/2014Having been to Chez Panisse a number of times over the last 30 years my last experience was "blah." No originality in the food; very bland; overpriced. I looked for imagination and originality as well as local and organic and the first two were sadly lacking. Last time I ate here there was lavender ice cream--original, delicious, surprising. Not so this time. The service was excellent. The noise level was LOUD but that's not unusual in crowded places in San Francisco
- PinzimonioVIPDined on 8/5/2014fantastic food. And very knowledgable service. A great dinner. Second time and I'll be back again when I am in the area :)Special Features:
- GustavVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our food was fantastic and our server was one of the best we have ever had at a restaurant and we have been to Chez Panisse several times.Special Features:
- Iconic RestaurantzerokilometersDined on 8/5/2014We were going to be near Berkley and wanted to dine at the legendary restaurant. The food was interesting and delicious. We like what Alice Waters is all about - using organic and locally grown food. We belong to Slow Food. There aren't many restaurants in Oklahoma City that follow these ideas. We would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dream Come True...outoftownerDined on 8/4/2014I'd been wanting to eat at Chez Panisse since I had a little framed print of it in the 80's. I am sure I couldn't add anything that hasn't already been said, but, if you like good, fresh ingredients, and well-cooked food, and are in the Bay Area, this restaurant should not be missed. Even my 17 yr old liked it [except for the lack of bread plates :-)].Special Features:
- Not good for Vegan:(MarieVenturesDined on 8/4/2014My physician brother and friends were visiting Calif for first. Time and asked to eat at Chez Panisse. Because two of them are Vegan we chose upstairs over down because of ala carte menu. Sad to say and truly unbelievable the Vegan meal was nothing more than a soup bowl of very basic fresh veggies--no gold beets, artichokes, favs beans, etc. soooo sad. And VERY overpriced. Unfortunately it was an off-evening for CP. Three of us truly enjoyed our meal. Service was 5-star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Panisse lunch reviewluvtodineDined on 8/4/2014My duck breast plate was less than satisfactory. The portion size was meager consisting of 5 extremely thin strips of duck(doubt that it is an entire breast). The natural jus was too watery and had no depth or mouth feel. Salad on the side was too acidic and did not balance the duck as the duck had no richness. Gem Lettuce salad with creamy cesar dressing was mediocre as the cherry tomatoes were extemely small and a bit acidic. I would have expected a sweeter tomato. Wood fired pizza lacked any smokiness or char. I have had much better at A16 or Tony's. All in all, a rip off entree for 26 dollars. Would never go back when there are so many more dining options around.
- excellentwillreturnDined on 8/4/2014The food, salmon and duck which my friend and I ordered was delicious and fresh. The presentation was simple but inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Maitre d is second to none212georgiaDined on 8/2/2014The bread amazing, the service flawless, the food beyond compare, the intentions noble. All summed up in the Maitre d.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful meal. Top service. No a/c. It was a bit warm in the cafe. The food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and ambianceDeliabondDined on 7/31/2014We ate lunch at Chez Panisse opting for the set menu at the cafe. It was absolutely delicious and has been one of our best dining experiences in San Francisco. The ambiance and service matched the quality of the meal. I would definitely come here again the only problem is that I live in London.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Food was perfect, especially the strawberry ice cream. Service was quite slow for no apparent reason, and tables seated before us were served well before our food arrived.Special Features:
- Memorable lunchlovelunchwiththegirlsDined on 7/31/2014Truly remarkable -- so reliable and yet so fresh and new every time. Best in class goat cheese salad and beet salad, duck superb, seafood pasta perfectly prepared with just the right amount of sauce clinging to each noodle, and to die for fig tart with fennel ice cream! Lovely service. Had a perfect lunch.Special Features:
- All it is cracked up to be.ShermDined on 7/30/2014Everything is outstanding at Chez Panisse Cafe. The wine list is excellent and reasonably-priced, the service is personable and attentive, and the food is simple and complex at once. A nice surprise was the $30 Prixe Fixe menu that makes it easier to choose from the many wonderful menu items.Special Features:
- Still amazing !EatOutALotVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's hard to believe that Chez Panisse continues to improve and evolve after all these years, but it does. With so many delicious options in the Bay Area, many of them CP derivatives, it's wonderful to know that the original continues to be original. We had a memorable dinner at the cafe last week with the freshest most beautiful ingredients. Our server might possibly be the best waiter ever...he timed the food perfectly and even stood back to avoid interrupting our conversation. Standouts: the squid --nice to see it as an entree; thin summer squash salad; the salmon. CP holds a special place in my heart but it's not just sentimentality that brings me back after 28 years as a Bay Area resident. Chez Panisse cafe was and is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot OnDinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Chez Panisse has been on my dining bucket list for as long as I can remember. Everything about this meal was spectacular. I could dine there every day and never have a repeat meal. Absolutely fresh, delicious, local, and overall amazing!Special Features:
- Never DissappointsPamelaVIPDined on 7/29/2014I am always amazed how the average or seemingly humble ingredient is elevated to the extraordinary! All of our dishes were outstanding, the service impeccable, and the ambiance unpretentious and upbeat.Special Features:
- Bucket listTbomariDined on 7/29/2014My first time but not my last. Everything that I had expected and more. The sauce on my grilled poultry plate was superb. The plouot tast with apricot kernel ice cream interesting and devine. My only negative feeling was thr noise level. A bit loud but that would not prevent me from returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfect dayhelloVIPDined on 7/29/2014I brought my friend who had just retired for a celebration and everything was PERFECT. The server was engaging and fun. We started with the goat cheese salad, very crisp and creamy and beets which were beautiful. Lots of goodies and flavors on the plate. We both had the noodles with mushrooms and the texture was perfect and flavor out of this world. Chocolate pave for dessert was so light and the apricot ice cream was like biting into an apricot! She said she wished she had a 'ground hog movie day' of this day and meal to repeat over and over! Thank you!!!!!Special Features:
- Service slippingfood4peopleDined on 7/28/2014Food is always good but service has been slipping in the last few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simplyadorableDined on 7/28/2014I come once a year while workshopping at Cal, and the Cafe has never disappointed. Always a treat in every respect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectdiningadventuresDined on 7/25/2014Took a friend to lunch for her 40th birthday and it was perfect. The service, food, and wine really made the day. Thank you Chez Panisse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014rude staff and unattentive service. food ok but not wonderful. reputation is unearned.
- Spoiled patronshardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/24/2014Excellent, fresh food in THE most comfortable and beautiful environment we know of. Nothing else ever lives up to this. We've been totally spoiled over the decades that we have enjoyed dining at Chez Panisse.Special Features:
- A disappointmentDinahdinerDined on 7/24/2014I was really excited to go to the Cafe at Chez Panisse. Sadly, the best things about the whole meal were the bread and butter and the spritzers. The salads were tasty but the portions were miserly and embarrassing to look at. The pork meals were bland and uninteresting. The chicken was good but not extraordinary. Salmon was good. Dessert again was not great. Ginger cake good but not special and the 3 tiniest slices of peach (and not very good tasting at that). For the reputation and the money this was a pretty big disappointment. Oh, and the service was a bit snooty and lacking. Chez Panisse, qu'est-ce qui se passe!!!
- JudyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Quite simply, perfect. Everyone who loves fresh, seasonal, tasty food must go to the roots of this movement. It remains at the top of my dining list, year in and year out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and FreshBB99Dined on 7/23/2014The food was great. So very fresh. I had the Moroccan Tagine as the main course, the gazpacho as appetizer, and fruit as dinner. We had beer. This place is definitely more wine friendly but the beer was good. Great food, was surprisingly out fast to us, excellent service, no wait for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestBerkeleyTravelDined on 7/23/2014Even in their fifth decade Chez Panisse continues to serve great food. The stars of the cuisine are not the chefs nor the recipes but the instead the ingredients are allowed to show themselves in all their glory. It's simple food done exceptionally well. the entire experience is very well thought out and crafted. The interior is all hand crafted copper and redwood. You won't see a computer because they are all hidden in wooden boxes. They don't sell bottled water because it's way more ecological to serve water filtered on site. Yes, they automatically charge 17% for a tip, but the waiters earn that with their great service. No, I don't work there but have enjoyed visiting for over 35 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionBerkeleyErinDined on 7/22/2014Celebrated a milestone birthday in style with eight friends. The menu easily accommodated the needs of the vegans, the dieters and other special needs. The place is so classy and professional that it appeals to the serious foodies. The arts and crafts setting feels personal and noise level does not feel out of control. The focus on local farms creates a feeling like its a community effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- potbellyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Dined at Chez Panisse 4 times over 7 days while visiting The Bay Area! Always Outstanding!Special Features:
- Great food (but service charge?)LucullusDined on 7/21/2014Chez Panisse is still one of the great places for foodies in the Bay Area - outstanding quality of the food, relaxed atmosphere, excellent service. The only thing that strikes one as odd is the 17% service charge - indicated in small print at the bottom of the invoice. I wonder how many non-regulars (like myself - I usually go once a year, when visiting the Bay Area) leave the usual 20-25 % tip - which makes for a nice 40 % tip ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionitalianfoodieDined on 7/21/2014We arrived much earlier than our reservation, as we came from 90 miles away, and the maitre'd was very gracious and found us a table in short order. We had a fabulous meal and the service was impeccable. We weren't rushed and lingered over our meal as this was a special occasion. We were very glad to be seated early as this allowed us to head home earlier than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in the bay area !exrestauranterVIPDined on 7/21/2014It's not 60 days in advance reservation, it's not 275$ fix menu per person, it's not in a unique building BUT it's the best food I can ask for. and the best service. The Salmon entree was the weakest part of the meal but the rest was great. the Chocolate Custard was the best dish (and I am not a dessert person). the bill was 150$ with two glasses of Spottswood SB. I will be back.Special Features:
- NeenDined on 7/21/2014Délicieux dîner. Le pain cuit au four, la vinaigrette de la salade, le sandwich au porc et le dessert étaient un délice. Un repas dont je me souviendrai. Le vin était aussi très bon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very nice restaurant - very hard to get a reasoanble time to eat. There were plenty of openings before and after we arrived even though those times were not available when we were bookin. Very good food and service - The benches are uncomfortable to sit on - fuller cushions would help.Special Features: