The Blue Room
Hampshire and Portland streets
(in Kendall Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblueroom.net/
- Phone: 6174949034x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bonner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Room
The Blue Room is simple casual comfort. Housed in a renovated woven hose factory, this nationally acclaimed restaurant is composed of bare wood beams, brick and granite walls, cozy suede banquettes, soft lighting and zinc-topped tables. Chef Robert Grant puts his wood-burning grill to work creating dishes with influences from his time spent cooking his way through Italy, Spain and France using locally-sourced ingredients and techniques gleaned from his stints with renowned chefs Thomas Keller + Barbara Lynch. Along with the lively atmosphere comes an interesting, eclectic and affordable wine list. Stop in on Sunday nights for "Retail Wine" night, where 50 or so wines are offered at retail prices. Good & Friendly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Room reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)great for outdoor dining (53)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (34)romantic (30)great for brunch (29)good for groups (19)notable wine list (15)late-night find (10)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect meal!judyfoodDined on 3/10/2014I was celebrating a major milestone birthday with friends. The food and service were both so outstanding that it helped me get past the minor depression I was feeling about the birthday. It really was a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abundant BrunchOut2EatDined on 3/9/2014The Blue Room offers a range of yummy options for brunch, from the French Toast casserole to squash soup, from eggs scrambled wonderfully with creme fraiche to salmon steaks and roasted potatoes. Walk through the line and save room, if you are so inclined, for a whole table of cookies and cakes and sweet breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food but "busy" ambienceRaulCorazonDined on 3/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been dining at TBR for several years for special occasions, and usually on Saturday nights. The last two times we've noticed that the room has gotten "busier" ... more patrons, yes, but it also seems as if there are more tables in the space and it's definitely a lot noisier. It used to feel more romantic and peaceful. Not so much now. That aside, the food is always fantastic, and the kitchen always sends over something extra to honor our special occasion, and the wait staff always brings over something from the bar to do the same, and we appreciate that. The service has ranged from good (the last two visits) to outstanding. Overall, TBR is an excellent restaurant and we always look forward to a dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our dinner at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014We had our dinner at the bar and it was quaint, cozy and quiet with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentgauchoDined on 3/7/2014I was looking forward to dining at The Blue Room given the positive reviews. Both my husband and I were disappointed. Yes, it looks like a trendy place that would attract a young crowd, but the menu was certainly not worth the prices, nor was the wine. An experience not to be repeated.
- Blue Room Great FoodlouieDined on 3/5/2014nowhere to be seen for awhile and I had to flag down someone else. By the time my food came back cooked, everyone else was doneHave been to this restaurant many times and love the food. Service on this uncrowded Wednesday was not good. Steak was supposed to be medium rare and parts looked almost uncooked. Waitress was . Usually a great place, so I was disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!SGregorioVIPDined on 3/2/2014Went with my two college age daughters. Had a truly terrific time. All of the food was spectacular and quite varied. Would go back again in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Back after a few years away....Rebeck111Dined on 3/2/2014Items by the hearth were delicious, as ever. Desserts were a bit of a mixed bag; 'the brownies & oat cookies were lovely, but the c.cake muffin dry and unmemorable, as was the choc chip cookie; the van.scone had a slightly bitter taste. I missed the rice pudding that used to be a staple, as well as the macaroons. The bloody Mary's were great. coffee was average and slow to be refilled. Greater attentiveness at reception would help set a better tone. We don't enjoy waiting only to have folks arriving after us seated before us and the party ahead of us. Service used to be more effective. All in all, things were fine, if nothing to rave about anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Sunday BrunchKatBDined on 3/2/2014Four of us met for brunch on a Sunday in March. The food was delicious, we had plenty of hot coffee and were able to sit and talk for a nice stretch of time. Also, parking on the street was available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITFoodieGaloreVIPDined on 3/1/2014This was my second time dining at The Blue Room and it held up to expectations! I will be sending work colleagues there for lunch/dinner as much as possible! Waitstaff was knowledgeable, professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small distiller gin a good startRubobDined on 2/27/2014No "big name" spirits available for our martini? Our server brought tasting samples of small distiller gins, and we loved our selection, although I cannot recall its name. Iggy's bread amazing as always. Entrees good, especially the braised lamb shanks with dates, couscous and harissa. Chai creme brûlée too "chai"…a place to let the locally sourced eggs and cream shine through without additions. Servers attentive without hovering, sound level acceptable for two with hearing issues. A gift certificate got us to the Blue Room. We will return on our own for another happy dining experience.Special Features:
- Food and service were great.FridaynightlightsVIPDined on 2/22/2014Food and service were great. I found the restaurant a bit too noisy and the tables are very close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food' even better serviceEileenDined on 2/21/2014Four of us went to The Blue Room for dinner before attending a movie at Kendall. The staff had the movie times and made sure we were served in a timely manner. All the staff, from bartender extraordinaire to the wait staff, were easy-going, efficient, professional but friendly. The food, especially the appetizers, was just terrific - cooked perfectly and creatively-presented. We will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden wine barPeterkussellVIPDined on 2/16/2014There is a more Informal dining area in back of the bar. It's actually a wine bar. Rent it out for special occasions !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu needs some helpphooshyDined on 2/16/2014Although the food is always very tasty, the menu is boring. The specials were not interesting, either. $13 for a glass of white wine is pricey for the "neighborhood gem." Disappointed.Special Features:
- OverpricedNancyDined on 2/16/2014Made a reservation due to recommendation. The food was good but does not warrant the $27 price for it. Options were limited for brunch buffet. Nothing special.
- this place was great. woodfiredOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014this place was great. woodfired food is always a good ideaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anything but Blue!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Wonderful Valentine's evening dinner. The atmosphere was very cozy and inviting with just a nice hint of activity to not make it dull . The waitstaff was very accommodating ,helpful,and engaging while not being overbearing. Menu had a very diverse selection including a few interesting options for those who who may prefer something minus fins or four legs. One little note, the cocktail items although very different and creative, were difficult to identify for even the most seasoned diner, but once again, the waitstaff was very knowledgeable and helpful. All in all, a great dining experiencethat I would highly recommend to friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like this restaurantPanky4321VIPDined on 2/11/2014Went to Blue Room and found it quite dark, in terms of lighting. I found the chicken extremely salty. The salt content made eating my entree intolerable. I took 3/4 of the chicken home, but could not eat it there either.
- Some of the Boston area's best foodTDLexVIPDined on 2/7/2014The Blue Room has been my favorite area restaurant for over 20 years. Since the Chris Schlesinger days it has passed through different chefs and owners but has never wavered from offering first-rate food. We dined there just a few days ago for an anniversary evening out, and as usual we were amazed at the quality of the food. The frisee salad, which I like but do not expect to find stunning, had a delicious smoky flavor. I never pass up duck dishes here, because through several chefs over a couple of decades, it is always wonderful. You can always finish with excellent desserts if you like, and you can always get outstanding wine suggestions if you ask. Finally, the price is a bargain for food of this quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange liquor brandsLateoneDined on 1/30/2014Very limited selection of liquor brands in an effort to seem exclusive and carrying only small batchgi brands. As a consequence they neglect some of the best bourbons, vodka, gin, etc. Service was slow and uninformed.
- Missing the old blue roomMC2000Dined on 1/24/2014I miss the former chef's food style. Now the food tastes bland.Special Features:
- unique bistroPalmeroDined on 1/23/2014The Blue Room is like no other restaurant in The Greater Boston area, thus the real meaning of the word UNIQUE. All three of us were treated to perfectly prepared, attractively presented, delicious entrees. Service is personal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow to start,JJatdinnerDined on 1/20/2014Service was slow to start, but improved as the night went on. Friendly and helpful. The food however was not prepared well. My duck was undercooked as was my wife's seafood.
- Brunch with the girlsSSBDDined on 1/19/2014Reservation was for 1. 3 of us came early - we sat at bar. Bartender friendly, took coats, didn't pressure us to get drinks , although we did. Table ready before 1, chatted while waiting for our 4th friend, no one rushed us. Waitress extremely responsive - coffee, tea, juice, water, etc. whenever we needed it, cleared our plates as soon as we were done, offered fresh utensils to us. Lots of attention, but the kind we wanted. We sat for 2 hours - no pressure to leave. Some food is unusual beet and apple salad, roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, etc. But there was standard breakfast food as well which wasn't outstanding, but it was edible. Desserts looked better than tasted. Rosemary shortbread way too heavy on the rosemary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!RuthieVIPDined on 1/19/2014APPALLED - I MADE THIS RESERVATION THROUGH OPEN TABLE SEVERAL WEEKS AGO - WE GOT THE WORST TABLE IN THE PLACE - IT'S A BUFFET AND OUR TABLE OF FIVE WAS RIGHT IN THE FRAY OF THE LINE WHERE PEOPLE CUE FOR THE BUFFET - HORRIFIC HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE - I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN AS A RESULT OF THIS. I DI LIKE THE BLUE ROOM BUT CANNOT ACCEPT THIS ATROCIOUS SERVICE ESPECIALLY WHEN MAKING A RESERVATION WEEKS IN ADVANCE ON OPEN TABLE - DO NOT GO THERE - THEY DO NOT TREAT OPEN TABLE GUESTS WELL AT ALL!!!!!!!
- A nice experienceag1027Dined on 1/18/2014I've been to the Blue Room several times and usually have a good experience. We were there recently on a cold January night and the restaurant felt warm and cozy, The food is always very fresh and they have a good wine list. My only complaint is they could do a better job with their chocolate desserts, although I have high standards for those.Special Features:
- I have eaten at the Blue RoomFIELDWALKERDined on 1/16/2014I have eaten at the Blue Room many time. It's my favorite restaurant in the Boston area. My visits include renting the wine room for a party of 12. The food has always been fabulous and the venue warm and inviting. I have entertained business associates here. My wife and I celebrated our recent wedding anniversary here. What I like best about the place, aside from the food, is the unhurried pace. I've never felt rushed or pushed to turn the table for the next guest. The waiters, while very knowledgeable, are laid back and sensitive to the need to experience the meal and good conversation afterward. On a summer evening, drinks on the patio are lovely and dinner outside is a wonderful experience if you can get one of the limited tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cosy dining room;nice dinnerCiaoMarisaVIPDined on 1/9/2014Not sure if it was the frigid night but several dishes were luke warm to cool. The server immediately took the artic char back and reheated the risotto! Great service. Tasty tuna!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with wine, good without it.JonBostonDined on 1/5/2014I've been to the Blue Room a number of times, which is is why I can recommend it on several counts not applicable to this most recent visit. This time I was having dinner with my 16-year-old grandson, so it was probably the first time I had dinner there without wine. It was all excellent. It was a slow evening for them (bitterly cold) but even when busy (more typical) it's a relaxing place for conversation and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm on a cold nightPrimaDonnaVIPDined on 1/5/2014The Blue Room is a little gem in Kendall Square. The food was excellent. The staff were great. What was so impressive was their willingness to accommodate. I wanted to order the Atlantic Char, especially because I loved the sides. When the waiter came he informed me that they had just sold the last one! I told him how disappointed I was especially since I loved the risotto and walnut pesto that accompanied the dish. So I ordered the chicken - he came back and said the kitchen could do the chicken with the sides from the Atlantic Char dish if I wanted. It was terrific, combined with their Sunday night special of offering a bottle of wine at retail price (we got a great white fro $24) it made a cold night very warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BRUNCH BOSTONNeilDined on 1/5/2014The title says it all. As long as you don't mind going to the buffet bar to get your food...this is the place for a fabulous brunch. From breakfast specialties to substantial lunch delicacies...this is one of the best buffets anywhere! It's been consistently great for many years. My suggestion: plan your visits to the buffet bar strategically so you can taste just about everything they offer. And save some room for home made desserts! LOVE ITSpecial Features:
- Always pleasant diningthequietmanDined on 1/4/2014Great food and location especially after attending the movies. I find the service and food to be excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did Not Get PointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014Enjoyed meal but service was slow. Did not get my points. Bummer.
- New Year's EveTravelerDined on 12/31/2013Very pleasant surprise. We hate to eat out on holidays, but our whole group of 10 was delighted with the quality of food, the service and the prices for this holiday evening. With such a large group, we were able to sample many of the selections on the menu and all were excellent, from scallops to braised pork. We would definitely eat here again when visiting Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to celebrateLloydVIPDined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve there was a special menu, and it was superb. Delicious, very tasty food. A spectacular pork-belly appetizer, delicious leg-of-lamb for two. The "apple-pie" dessert was more of a tart than a wedge of pie, so I probably wouldn't order it again, but it was tasty and succulent. We had our reservations well in advance so we were disappointed when the hostess seated us at a table right near the door (there were other empty tables). We asked for a table so crowded with people arriving. We eventually were given a great table for two, with much greater privacy. Her initial reluctance to meet our request was the only sour note of what turned out to be a perfect evening.Special Features:
- As good as I remembered itpussycatDined on 12/28/2013I had not been back to the Blue Room in several years and the food was even more fresh and inventive and tasty than I remember. Great to find a place that lives up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDewRagDined on 12/27/2013This place is not the most obvious spot as it is nestled in the lower level of a corporate campus in Kendall square, so it takes a bit to find the actual restaurant. The food here was fantastic from start to finish! Drink menu is also very eclectic and have some very cool drinks you wouldn't normally order, which is a refreshing change to most places. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Blue Room has long beenjr2204VIPDined on 12/21/2013The Blue Room has long been a favorite. But this last visit wasn't quite up to its usual par. The food was certainly good, but not exceptional: flavors were somewhat muted throughout, never exciting. Nine wines as usual, though -- always a high point there. Let's hope that this was only a momentary lapse.Special Features:
- Blue Room still a favoritemoimemeDined on 12/18/2013Great service, not too loud, no rushing, food abundant and really good. Always a taste of wine to aid in your decision. Desserts a weak point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.