The Blue Room
Hampshire and Portland streets
(in Kendall Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblueroom.net/
- Phone: 6174949034x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bonner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Room
The Blue Room is simple casual comfort. Housed in a renovated woven hose factory, this nationally acclaimed restaurant is composed of bare wood beams, brick and granite walls, cozy suede banquettes, soft lighting and zinc-topped tables. Chef Robert Grant puts his wood-burning grill to work creating dishes with influences from his time spent cooking his way through Italy, Spain and France using locally-sourced ingredients and techniques gleaned from his stints with renowned chefs Thomas Keller + Barbara Lynch. Along with the lively atmosphere comes an interesting, eclectic and affordable wine list. Stop in on Sunday nights for "Retail Wine" night, where 50 or so wines are offered at retail prices. Good & Friendly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Room reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (44)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (30)romantic (25)great for brunch (23)good for groups (17)notable wine list (16)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- SmokeyDennisVIPDined on 4/12/2014The night we were most recently there the air was smokey. We were told the kitchen had switched to a wood grilling or wood oven firing method. The ventilation may have been under performing or if not it needs adjusting. There were times I felt I was seated downwind of an open campfire. Otherwise all was well. The food was great and the service attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find for a relaxed dinnerAzmatDined on 4/1/2014The ambiance, food and service were exemplary for a relaxed dinner. My friend and I asked for the main course to be brought later which the hostess did really well....We had a great corner table...Could not have been a much better dining experience! Note that this was a Tuesday night....It is probably much busier later on in the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My kind of crowdCharlottesville29Dined on 3/29/2014My friend and I were tucked into a tiny table in a corner--the place is crowded in several senses--among a number of older academics in groups. We were asked if we were in a hurry before a movie. In other words, it's a favorite in Cambridge MA with my demographic. Absolutely delicious rabbit confit linguine--the sauce and flavor were simply absorbed into a flavorful blend with the right texture, perfect for a rainy evening. I liked the cocktail they called their version of a manhattan, tasteful frisee salad. Friendly and efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a bit on the saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2014Food was a bit on the salty side. Flavors and texture were all over the map. Overall, not a bad experience. It wasn't a great one either.
- Disappointed in CambridgeRestaurantWeekReviewerDined on 3/27/2014Four of us went out for Restaurant Week on a Thursday evening. We all ordered different appetizers, dinners and dessert. Only one dinner was excellent. All the other dishes were mediocre and did not live up to their descriptions on the menu. Most were served lukewarm. One of us had been to the restaurant a couple of years ago and recommended it so we were all looking forward to a great meal. Unfortunately, we were disappointed.
- Food was wowRobin25VIPDined on 3/23/2014Every dish was excellent and beautifully presented. We hadn't been in a while but now we are anxious to return. The service seemed a bit overwhelmed, however (Sunday evening of restaurant week).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMassCoupleDined on 3/23/2014This was our first time at The Blue Room for Sunday brunch. Overall, there were a good selection of food and the items we sampled were hot and delicious. There were a few things that did not make it a five-star review. When we arrived, even though we made a reservation, we were told that they had to clean and set tables before seating us, when we could visibly see open tables available. It was a strange set up with the desert table by the entrance/exit door. Our service was almost non-existing. We had to ask twice for orange juice, was not offered more coffee, no spoons on the table, and after a second visit to the buffet, the first plates were still sitting on the table when we returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBergamotDined on 3/23/2014The buffet had good crispy bacon, poached eggs, smoked salmon, patatas brava, a variety of salads, and lovely cranberry bread and rosemary shortbread. Plus a dozen more dishes that tempted, but were too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or After a MovieOmnivoreVIPDined on 3/22/2014This place was here before the Kendall Square Cinema arrived, but they have learned to adjust to the ebb and flow of the movie crowd. Great cocktail list. I ordered the prix fixe from the Dine Out Boston menu and enjoyed all three courses. My wife ordered a la carte. She loved her char appetizer, but found the main dish, a properly cooked piece of tuna, to not be a very good grade of fish--difficult to cut and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the hype...plato79Dined on 3/22/2014Friends of mine had raved about the Blue Room, but I'd never been until last Saturday. It totally met the hype. The food was excellent and quire creative. My husband and I really enjoyed the food combinations and the staff/kitchen were great about handling my gluten allergies. For appetizers, we ordered the marinated beet salad and the poached egg with gorgonzola polenta. The appetizers were tasty, albeit very different. For entrees, we ordered the branzino and the chickpea pate. Both were sumptuous, delicious, and everything was spot-on. I couldn't decide a favorite between the two entrees, as they were both excellent. I thought the drink/wine list was just average. My cocktail was just ok, but my wine paired fabulously with my dinner.Special Features:
- Very good foodAverageVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very good food. I would like them to have a larger menuSpecial Features:
- Always excellent!BarryDined on 3/21/2014The Blue Room never disappoints - from the curated wine list and creative cocktails, delicious food that is never boring and friendly informative service, I can always count on a terrific experience!Special Features:
- Totally OrdinaryfoodluverVIPDined on 3/21/2014It's not bad, it's just very ordinary. The place is nicely decorated and it has a cool vibe, but the food and service is very ordinary for the price tag.
- Great ExperienceBawbVIPDined on 3/18/2014Excellent food and service (despite one of our party being particularly demanding), and overall a great time! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Def give it a tryTheUsualDined on 3/17/2014I loved going there for restaurant week. i had passed it a million times on my way to the movies but never stopped by. I really had an amazing time. The pork belly was divine. I really liked the lamb dish as well though it could have been better seasoned. The only disappointing thing is that the drink was filled only halfway up glass. I can see if I ordered scotch or whiskey. But this was a mized drink. Do better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!judyfoodDined on 3/10/2014I was celebrating a major milestone birthday with friends. The food and service were both so outstanding that it helped me get past the minor depression I was feeling about the birthday. It really was a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abundant BrunchOut2EatDined on 3/9/2014The Blue Room offers a range of yummy options for brunch, from the French Toast casserole to squash soup, from eggs scrambled wonderfully with creme fraiche to salmon steaks and roasted potatoes. Walk through the line and save room, if you are so inclined, for a whole table of cookies and cakes and sweet breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food but "busy" ambienceRaulCorazonDined on 3/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been dining at TBR for several years for special occasions, and usually on Saturday nights. The last two times we've noticed that the room has gotten "busier" ... more patrons, yes, but it also seems as if there are more tables in the space and it's definitely a lot noisier. It used to feel more romantic and peaceful. Not so much now. That aside, the food is always fantastic, and the kitchen always sends over something extra to honor our special occasion, and the wait staff always brings over something from the bar to do the same, and we appreciate that. The service has ranged from good (the last two visits) to outstanding. Overall, TBR is an excellent restaurant and we always look forward to a dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our dinner at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014We had our dinner at the bar and it was quaint, cozy and quiet with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentgauchoDined on 3/7/2014I was looking forward to dining at The Blue Room given the positive reviews. Both my husband and I were disappointed. Yes, it looks like a trendy place that would attract a young crowd, but the menu was certainly not worth the prices, nor was the wine. An experience not to be repeated.
- Blue Room Great FoodlouieDined on 3/5/2014nowhere to be seen for awhile and I had to flag down someone else. By the time my food came back cooked, everyone else was doneHave been to this restaurant many times and love the food. Service on this uncrowded Wednesday was not good. Steak was supposed to be medium rare and parts looked almost uncooked. Waitress was . Usually a great place, so I was disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!SGregorioVIPDined on 3/2/2014Went with my two college age daughters. Had a truly terrific time. All of the food was spectacular and quite varied. Would go back again in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Back after a few years away....Rebeck111Dined on 3/2/2014Items by the hearth were delicious, as ever. Desserts were a bit of a mixed bag; 'the brownies & oat cookies were lovely, but the c.cake muffin dry and unmemorable, as was the choc chip cookie; the van.scone had a slightly bitter taste. I missed the rice pudding that used to be a staple, as well as the macaroons. The bloody Mary's were great. coffee was average and slow to be refilled. Greater attentiveness at reception would help set a better tone. We don't enjoy waiting only to have folks arriving after us seated before us and the party ahead of us. Service used to be more effective. All in all, things were fine, if nothing to rave about anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Sunday BrunchKatBDined on 3/2/2014Four of us met for brunch on a Sunday in March. The food was delicious, we had plenty of hot coffee and were able to sit and talk for a nice stretch of time. Also, parking on the street was available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITFoodieGaloreVIPDined on 3/1/2014This was my second time dining at The Blue Room and it held up to expectations! I will be sending work colleagues there for lunch/dinner as much as possible! Waitstaff was knowledgeable, professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small distiller gin a good startRubobDined on 2/27/2014No "big name" spirits available for our martini? Our server brought tasting samples of small distiller gins, and we loved our selection, although I cannot recall its name. Iggy's bread amazing as always. Entrees good, especially the braised lamb shanks with dates, couscous and harissa. Chai creme brûlée too "chai"…a place to let the locally sourced eggs and cream shine through without additions. Servers attentive without hovering, sound level acceptable for two with hearing issues. A gift certificate got us to the Blue Room. We will return on our own for another happy dining experience.Special Features:
- Food and service were great.FridaynightlightsVIPDined on 2/22/2014Food and service were great. I found the restaurant a bit too noisy and the tables are very close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food' even better serviceEileenDined on 2/21/2014Four of us went to The Blue Room for dinner before attending a movie at Kendall. The staff had the movie times and made sure we were served in a timely manner. All the staff, from bartender extraordinaire to the wait staff, were easy-going, efficient, professional but friendly. The food, especially the appetizers, was just terrific - cooked perfectly and creatively-presented. We will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden wine barPeterkussellVIPDined on 2/16/2014There is a more Informal dining area in back of the bar. It's actually a wine bar. Rent it out for special occasions !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu needs some helpphooshyDined on 2/16/2014Although the food is always very tasty, the menu is boring. The specials were not interesting, either. $13 for a glass of white wine is pricey for the "neighborhood gem." Disappointed.Special Features:
- OverpricedNancyDined on 2/16/2014Made a reservation due to recommendation. The food was good but does not warrant the $27 price for it. Options were limited for brunch buffet. Nothing special.
- this place was great. woodfiredOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014this place was great. woodfired food is always a good ideaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anything but Blue!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Wonderful Valentine's evening dinner. The atmosphere was very cozy and inviting with just a nice hint of activity to not make it dull . The waitstaff was very accommodating ,helpful,and engaging while not being overbearing. Menu had a very diverse selection including a few interesting options for those who who may prefer something minus fins or four legs. One little note, the cocktail items although very different and creative, were difficult to identify for even the most seasoned diner, but once again, the waitstaff was very knowledgeable and helpful. All in all, a great dining experiencethat I would highly recommend to friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like this restaurantPanky4321VIPDined on 2/11/2014Went to Blue Room and found it quite dark, in terms of lighting. I found the chicken extremely salty. The salt content made eating my entree intolerable. I took 3/4 of the chicken home, but could not eat it there either.
- Some of the Boston area's best foodTDLexVIPDined on 2/7/2014The Blue Room has been my favorite area restaurant for over 20 years. Since the Chris Schlesinger days it has passed through different chefs and owners but has never wavered from offering first-rate food. We dined there just a few days ago for an anniversary evening out, and as usual we were amazed at the quality of the food. The frisee salad, which I like but do not expect to find stunning, had a delicious smoky flavor. I never pass up duck dishes here, because through several chefs over a couple of decades, it is always wonderful. You can always finish with excellent desserts if you like, and you can always get outstanding wine suggestions if you ask. Finally, the price is a bargain for food of this quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange liquor brandsLateoneDined on 1/30/2014Very limited selection of liquor brands in an effort to seem exclusive and carrying only small batchgi brands. As a consequence they neglect some of the best bourbons, vodka, gin, etc. Service was slow and uninformed.
- Missing the old blue roomMC2000Dined on 1/24/2014I miss the former chef's food style. Now the food tastes bland.Special Features:
- unique bistroPalmeroDined on 1/23/2014The Blue Room is like no other restaurant in The Greater Boston area, thus the real meaning of the word UNIQUE. All three of us were treated to perfectly prepared, attractively presented, delicious entrees. Service is personal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow to start,JJatdinnerDined on 1/20/2014Service was slow to start, but improved as the night went on. Friendly and helpful. The food however was not prepared well. My duck was undercooked as was my wife's seafood.
- Brunch with the girlsSSBDDined on 1/19/2014Reservation was for 1. 3 of us came early - we sat at bar. Bartender friendly, took coats, didn't pressure us to get drinks , although we did. Table ready before 1, chatted while waiting for our 4th friend, no one rushed us. Waitress extremely responsive - coffee, tea, juice, water, etc. whenever we needed it, cleared our plates as soon as we were done, offered fresh utensils to us. Lots of attention, but the kind we wanted. We sat for 2 hours - no pressure to leave. Some food is unusual beet and apple salad, roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, etc. But there was standard breakfast food as well which wasn't outstanding, but it was edible. Desserts looked better than tasted. Rosemary shortbread way too heavy on the rosemary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.