200 W Ramon Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://inglesideinn.com/melvyns_restaurant.html
- Phone: 7603252323
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Juan Castaneda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms seating up to 50-85 guests, and 75-100 standing,
both great for meetings and private dining. We have hosted meetings for Pitney Bowes, CBS, Warner Records and many others. Use the hotel for a business retreat and meet in the private rooms for meals, meetings, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Ellis 7603252323
- Entertainment: Join us for nightly entertainment in our Piano Bar and dancing in our Casa Blanca Lounge from 8pm. On Sundays join us from 3.30pm till 7.30pm for our weekly Jam session.
- Special Events: Perfect setting for weddings, meetings or private parties. Custom menus are available for any budget.
A word from Melvyn's Restaurant
Melvyn's Restaurant was named "One of Ten Best" by the T.V. show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Recipient of many top national awards. Melvyn's ambiance is the perfect compliment to gourmet dining. Every detail was selected to reflect gracious elegance and old world charm. Extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Melvyn's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Melvyn's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Went there for 1st AnniversaryCaseyK1988Dined on 12/28/2013Went there for my Wife and I's 1st Wedding Anniversary and it was a very nice experience. Definitely the fanciest restaurant I have ever been to. The food was good, the wait staff was very attentive, they even had valet parking. The atmosphere was very nice love the decor of the restaurant. They even brought us a special slice of cake for our wedding anniversary. A very nice touch.Special Features:
- It's a classic from a differentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/28/2013It's a classic from a different era. Service and ambiance is still tops, but the quality food is declining. Melvyn take notice. Your best customers are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service - Dec 28/13RCFREEDVIPDined on 12/28/2013We have eaten at Melvyn's several times and always had great service. On this particular night service varied between indifferent and bordering on rude. We were also ignored in the bar after having our first drink and for several minutes once seated for dinner. F
- Be known or don't bother!CorpLdyDined on 12/27/2013We were the first guests to arrive for a 6pm reservation and had cocktails while waiting for the restaurant to begin seating. The bartender and server were wonderful. With an empty restaurant, we were seated right next to the service area and served by a waiter who was more concerned with his regular guests rather than cultivating new guests to become regulars. I chose to have 3 appetizers and a soufflé all were served lukewarm at best. The white fish was served less than lukewarm - my guest barely ate it. The final entrée, a filet, although cooked as requested, was the end cut and disappointing for the prices charged. If you must go, find someone who may be recognized or expect to be relegated to the service area.
- Christmas Day was a little hecticCathJollDined on 12/25/2013We made our reservations for 7:30 and had to wait in the bar which is no biggie. However we did not get seated until about 8:45 and that was after asking the Maitre D' several times if we were going to be seated soon. Once seated the service was great and of course the food too.Special Features:
- Great Service - but food not greatJemcaDined on 12/25/2013It's Christmas, the decorations are 50's funky nice! The Maitre-D is lovely and he compliments us as we walk in saying "now that you're here, my day is great". So far, fantastic. Lead to our table thru a bustling crowd, sat next to the "water feature", a small pond outside our window, sweet. Fantastic penguins are serving everyone with precision, arguing quietly with the waiters in training to make sure they do everything to a T! Drinks arrive quickly and are great. Our orders have been taken (only 3 pris fixe items for Xmas on the menu). Then the meal arrives, with hints of what it should have tasted like, but the heater it sat under all day + too much salt ruin it! I will go back again. Need to give the regular menu a fare chance.Special Features:
- Old World CharmLoeLouDined on 12/25/2013We have been going to Melvyn's for years for our anniversary. (also stayed at the adjoining motel) Classy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merry Christmas DinnerGonagainDined on 12/25/2013We were a party of four and most had different entrees. There were alot to choose from and definitely something for all tastes and appetites. The pumpkin bisque was delicious! One diner really enjoyed the turkey dinner, the two that had steak said they were done to perfection and my veal and shrimp was fantastic! It was extremely busy and we sometimes had to wait to order drinks, dessert,etc. but as few restaurants were open on Christmas day this was to be expected. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- my opinionoutoftownersDined on 12/25/2013I was impressed with the lovely surroundings and the great service. It was a great first impression. The soup and salad were standard quality. The main meal could of been improved with pouring the gravy at the table. My meal was soaked in gravy. The broccoli was done perfectly and the turkey was real. I could tell as I bit into some gristle. The pumpkin pie, which I was really looking forward to, was a disappointment ! It was tasteless with a cardboard crust! Surely that wasn't made at your restaurant! I felt that the restaurant was focusing on service, which is a good thing, but also seating as many people as possible not about the meal itself !Special Features:
- Perfect for that special dinnerDeanDined on 12/25/2013All around one of the best places for that special memorable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melvyn's is always a delighticruiserVIPDined on 12/25/2013Melvyn's always delivers a divine experience. From the moment you enter the long tree lined drive to the moment you exit you can always expect the best and not be disappointed. Dining in the elegance of yesteryear is always a delight. This year the options on the holiday menu were exceptional. The veal and shrimp combination with that wonderful sauce was a great choice. As soon as I leave Melvyn's I already start making plans to go back Thanks Mel for doing Palm Springs proud.Special Features:
- Christmas EveBevDTVIPDined on 12/24/2013The restaurant/bar itself was almost thrilling when we first walked in, like walking onto a movie set. It was hustling & bustling & all were enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, that scene likely resulted in our service not being as best as it probably usually is. Although we were enjoying the atmosphere & doing a bit of people watching, even that grew a bit tiresome after waiting for service. My meal was outstanding (braised ribs), but my husband's steak wasn't the best he's had, unfortunately. Having said all this, we do realize that it was Christmas Eve & the waiters were being run off their feet & we are truly appreciative for the service we did get. This will not deter us however, as we will very likely return again, ever in the hood.Special Features:
- NightmarePalomaDined on 12/24/2013We made a reservation a week before for 7:00 on Christmas Eve, arrived on time and did not get seated until 7:30. Most of the clientele looked like they had been coming there for years and were promptly seated. Once seated, a waiter took our drink order, brought bread and disappeared. At 8:00 we finally asked for a menu. By 8:20, we finally figured we probably would not get fed in our lifetime so we flagged down someone for a drink bill. At that time, he apologized for the long wait, offered to comp our drinks and said "maybe he could expedite" our order. We opted out. The restaurant was busy that night, but at the same time they have been around for many years and should be able to handle a crowd. There was no excuse for such arrogance.
- Graciousness DefinedMelvinDined on 12/23/2013This visit to Melvyn’s was another annual anniversary outing. We go to Palm Springs each year and our reservation at Melvyn’s is the centerpiece of the trip. Again, this year the staff did not disappoint. The ambiance, food, service, and vibe of the restaurant exemplify gracious dining. This year, I also used the floral service for a nice flower arrangement which was already in place when we were seated. That extra touch was very well received and brought warm greetings and congratulations from other diners. We are already making plans for next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reasonable dining experienceFillmoreVIPDined on 12/22/2013The atmosphere was of an earlier time (60's) and the food was fine but not exceptional. We arrived at 6 pm and the lounge was hoping with a live band. It was so loud it was hard to converse but it calmed down after 20 minutes and the music was at a much lower volume in the dining room. We thought it was a good experience overall but i can't say we would return.
- How can you go wrong at ageneralVIPDined on 12/12/2013How can you go wrong at a restaurant where the wait staff is in tuxedos and all the food is prepared in front of you. This place was a pleasant surprise and a gem to dine in.Special Features:
- Tried Something NewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/30/2013As long time visitors to the Palm Springs area, we strive to try different restaurants. Because we love the old world charm of the desert and established restaurants, we decided to try Melvyn’s. While, I wish I could say it was a new find for us, I think it may have missed the mark. The food was okay, the prices where reasonable, and it was fun to experience a new place where the patrons were locals, yet there was no WOW moment. I was celebrating my husband’s birthday and even made a point to say so in the reservation, yet there was no mention of it by the wait staff whatsoever which made my special occasion disappointing and not so special. Otherwise, I have no complaints but I will be sticking to my old favorites from this point forward.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service very slowDrCJDined on 11/28/2013We arrived early for a 5:00 p.m. reservation, waited in the bar until 5:30, our order taken at 5:45, given soup at 6:00 and they didn't finish serviing us until 7:00. They clearly overbooked and were understaffed, and what staff there were, were very slow. If the food had not been excellent and we were not out-of-towners, we would have walked. For $45 a plate, we expect great food and at least decent service. Clearly most of the clientele is retired and maybe they don't mind the wait, but with 2 kids it's harder to be patient. The ambience is old-school Palm Springs, which is fine for a leisurely brunch, but don't go for a holiday dinner.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving FeastJodyDined on 11/28/2013Very good food even with an enormous crowd. Room was cold though very pretty. Service was attentive. The setting is picturesque. We were happy with our visit. Tab for 4 was $250.00 with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!reereeDined on 11/28/2013This was my first visit. We had our Thanksgiving meal at Melvyns and it was great, the food was good and the service was even better. Would recommend Melvyns for special occasions, they make you feel special when you are there.Special Features:
- A slice of "Old Palm Springs"nancycunninghamVIPDined on 11/21/2013Melvyn's has been a Palm Springs institution since Frank Sinatra and his friends ran the town. It still has a piano bar, tuxedoed waiters that don't introduce themselves before offering you a drink, and many other features that make it fun to visit. It is situated on the grounds of a beautiful small hotel, but it is not just a "hotel restaurant." It is a place that locals feel is a "must do" spot even though the food itself is not the star. The whole experience is very pleasurable and worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Palm Springs QualitySRinPSDined on 11/16/2013Melvyn's is a hidden gem demanding quality not only from itself, but of its patrons. A surprisingly affordable place to have a quality meal with friends or just a special person. The service is of the quality fit for royalty attending to every detail. Very common to see celebrities.Special Features:
- DisappointmentSwissgourmetDined on 11/15/2013The setting and service are still special. There is still this feeling of one or two generations ago; for that I recoomend it for special occasions. However: my wife and I took two different veal main courses. We had exactly the same vegetables, steamed and unseasoned. Looking around, other guests with different main courses ate the same steamed carrots, potatos and snow peas. The red wine sauce with my veal tasted like commercially prepared. The crust of the crème brûlée was too thick and my wife's espresso lukewarm. I found it very disappointing that Melvyn's does not offer white wine by the glass that one may also order by the bottle (we only had white wine). The white wine by the glass was cheap and plain, not a delicacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MOST CHARMING DINING SPOT IN PSROBOTMEISTERVIPDined on 11/14/2013A true hideaway two blocks off Palm Canyon, Melvyn's at the Ingleside Inn is an institution for locals and a nice surprise for visitors. Classic good food, a classy bar and professional (but not stuffy) servers makes for a romantic date experience. Mr. Haber has been doing it right for decades so make a reservation and enjoy the experience!Special Features:
- Put off by the Maître d'ChopsFanVIPDined on 11/13/2013Our introduction to Melvyn's was off-putting. We would have walked out, but we were meeting a friend who suggested Melvyn's. Upon arrival the Matre d' greeted us by saying something to following. "You should be glad that I'm on duty tonight and not <so-and-so>, because he would never let you in wearing shorts. But I will let you in because I want you to have the full Melvyn's experience." If you intend to seat us, even though we are wearing shorts, why would castigate us first, and make us feel like you are doing us a favor?? Poor form! AND it's not even "high season" for Palm Springs!! The service was impeccable minus the Maître d'. Onion soup was nothing to write home about. The entree was good.
- A Palm Springs ClassicGoodDined on 11/12/2013We have been several times over the past few years and are never disappointed. Robust menu, professional wait staff, piano bar and impressive history. It is a step back to when dining was an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic cuisine, romantic ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2013Melvyn's is one of those places that restores your faith in fine dining. The service is impeccable, the atmosphere warm and inviting, the food, delicious and fresh. You can actually have a conversation without shouting over loud music or other patrons! The black and white decor, ivy-covered ceiling, and warm lighting make it a very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant. wesocalsd8VIPDined on 10/26/2013We love this restaurant. we have been coming for years.Special Features:
- Uninspired dinnerMikeMcGearDined on 10/19/2013Melvyns was on our bucket list of Palm Springs must-dos. And having done it we won't be back soon. Not because it was awful - the wait staff is competent, the atmosphere is pleasant but dated, the food is okay. It just feels tired and uninspired. Nevertheless, the regulars to whom Melvyns appeals can't seem to get enough. Case in point - the bar which was absolutely packed by 9:00 pm. The draw? A standards crooner who sits at the piano bar but doesn't really play piano. He sings just fine, if not spectacularly, delivering the hits from yester-year. But he's really just a karaoke singer with a gift for banter. Which really captures the charm that Melvyns has to offer - nostalgia for those who are willing to forgive the details.Special Features:
- Special nite outbigDDined on 10/16/2013The place is a delightful respite from today's loud modern restaurants. It has old timey glam remiscent of old Hollywood and the Palm Springs set. The diners were a collection of all sorts which gave it even more character! The rack of Lamb was incredibly lean. The service attentive. It was my husbands birthday and they brought him a complimentary slice of dessert with a candle. Nobody sang to him except me, another diner got up from his table and came over to wish him a Happy Birthday. What a nice surprise. The wine list was varied and affordable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining Experience24dinnerVIPDined on 10/10/2013You drive into a gated roadway. Your car door opened by a car valet. You enter a dining area manned by tuxedo clad waiters who greet you by name. A cocktail or signature Martini to toast the evening and the culinary adventure begins. Included with your entree are a choice of a house salad or my choice " French Onion Soup ". This night ,my wife chose a delicious " Pineapple Chicken " and my " Veal Medallions " were superb. Potato and veggies accompanied my veal dish. The night culminated with a "Grand Marnier Souffle" that was large enough to share. After the meal, listen to great music in the bar, and then take a walk around the grounds of the Ingleside Inn . Fascinating property.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!jeanshahVIPDined on 9/22/2013Been going to Melvyns over quite a few years, food and waiters have never changed, always excellent, Champagne brunch is really good on a Sunday, followed by the Jam Session in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealDisneynutsDined on 9/16/2013The meal was very good.I had the lobster pie which was good but the lobster pieces could have been bigger.The pie itself was huge. My wife had the filet mignon ordered medium well and it had to go back twice to be redone. All in all the taste was very good even after the missteps.Special Features:
- Live2dineLive2dineVIPDined on 9/8/2013Drive through an old spanish gate to a narrow driveway which runs into a court yard in front of an old Inn. You are greeted by a valet. You walk through the front door and feel like just stepped back into the 1940's. You are greeted by the mater'd . You are seated at your table and introduced to your captain. You look around the room and expect to see Cary Grant next to you. Every course has at least one dish that canon be served table-side. We ordered the chatuebrend for two served table side, it was exceptional. In the back ground you hear the music coming from the Casablanca Lounge. The dining experience was amazing, this is truly a unique old school experience with the ultimate in fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in Palm SpringsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2013We stumbled into this place by a recommendation from a bartender. Instantly, Melvyn's became our favorite stop with every visit to Palm Springs. The service is unlike anywhere I've known. This is class above anywhere else, yet the staff is so down to earth you instantly feel welcomed like an old regular of this establishment.Special Features:
- Old Fashioned Dining at its BestIrishRickDined on 8/23/2013We were immediately greeted by Brian, the Maitre d' and escorted to our table. The waiter quickly came and took our drink order and the table captain came by for a quick chat. After an appropriate time, he came back to take our orders. This type of service continued through our visit. The dinner menu is extensive, with several specially prepared entrees. Food was delicious. My wife had the Veal Ingleside and I had Filet of Sole. Both were delicious. Because we were celebrating her birthday, they brought us a complimentary dessert to go with her Creme Brulee. The wine list is good, but not huge. Don't miss the bar scene. Ron Greenip at the piano, played for 2 hours without a break & was great! By the time we left at 10pm, the bar was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in Palm SpringsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013Always great service and outstanding food. You are treated like royalty, fun piano bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Palm Springs ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2013This is classic old Palm Springs. Mel and his staff are wonderful ! A fun bar with generous martinis and live piano and singing. Dining is an experience. The only place in town where there is cooking table side with open flames. No dinner is complete without the banana flambe desert.Special Features:
- Pleasant experiencemikeVIPDined on 8/17/2013Great service and food......service was never pushy.....very pleasantSpecial Features:
- "Not Like the Good Ole Days!"LinE1Dined on 8/2/2013My husband made reservations for his birthday and it was a big disappointment to say the least. I is a small quaint place with alot of history, and that is about it!! Food was overpriced, and waiters were less than cordial. Almost seemed like we were entering the "Twilight Zone"! We ordered steak and it was a very thin cut steak covered in a brown sauce! (Steak Sinatra). We had a party of four, and the other guests had steak and lamb. It felt like we were eating dinner in a mortuary! It was so quiet, and the waiters seemed irritated that we were having a good time. We brought two bottles of very expensive wine, and the waiter was not happy about that! Corkage fee was $20. Someone took my second bottle of wine!! Hope they enjoyed it!Special Features: