Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: 4137466299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (28)great for lunch (27)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- very disappointeddancemomDined on 3/21/2014I would not recommend Max's Tavern. The bar was out of my favorite chardonnay so I asked the bartender for a recommendation. Thought she would recommend something comparable but instead she poured a glass of wine that was twice the price. Thought the food in the dining room would be of the quality of Max's Hartford but was very disappointed. The fried seafood was so greasy we just couldn't eat it. The wait staff brought the wrong dinner and when they brought the correct one, the blackened scallops were so salty that we couldn't eat those either. Would expect the bar to be noisy but the noise in the dining room was so loud that it didn't allow for normal conversation. Wish we had gone somewhere else.
- Always a GREAT experienceJackieSDined on 3/14/2014We've been to Max's Tavern (and many of the other Max's restaurants) at many times. They are always very professional and accommodating (we have one in our group with a variety of allergies). A stop at Max's Tavern is an annual stop for us after the WGBY wine tasting!Special Features:
- Food was greatcchillDined on 3/14/2014We were going to a special event at the Basketball Hall of Fame and were looking for a quick dinner. We had an awesome waitress and even one of our friends who can't have gluten or dairy was able to find something to eat. I got the stout chili, which was good, and I'm so happy I also got a side dish of shredded brussel sprouts with pancetta....to DIE for, and the perfect match with chili. I love this dish so much I'm going to try to recreate it. Luckily they had a few good appetizer specials as mostly that is what we got, paired with a salad. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- SatisfiedIlovefoodDined on 3/13/2014Service was good. Our food was great except my steak was a little burnt. Overall we go to Maxs for our anniversary every year.Special Features:
- This was the second time thatlynnDined on 3/11/2014This was the second time that I have visited Max's Tavern and it was as awesome as the first experience!! Will be back as there are a few other items on the menu that I am dying to try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodnevergooutDined on 3/8/2014Max's Tavern has a 2 page menu, but the choices are great! The sides they offer are different and delicious. I had a steak which was grilled perfectly and had great flavor. My wife went with the salmon, and was also extremely happy with the dish. Max's is well worth the money and provides a very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time to Max's injrs155Dined on 3/7/2014Our second time to Max's in a week and both times were super. Have to try the tuna tacos if you like tuna. Great selection of wines to choose from as well. looking forward to going back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's not like it used to beDinesoutoftenDined on 3/7/2014I haven't been to Max's in awhile and the food just wasn't what't it used to be. The Caesar salad was very plain and lacking taste. The chicken dinner I ordered came with potatoes that were under cooked/hard and, grits that were supposed to be cheese grits that had no taste at all. I hate to write a bad review but that chicken dinner was disappointing and so was the Caesar I think I will stick to my old favorites .... Storrowtown and East Side Grill. I was also embarrased because I had brought in a relative from out of Town and, had raved about Max's. Fortunately he had the filet mignon and, he found that part of the meal to his liking. I think Max's is okay if you order beef.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I ordered a chopped salad with grilled shrimp and my husband had the steak. The salad was 20.00 and had two shrimp chopped up in it and the steak was very tough. Very disappointed. Will not go backSpecial Features:
- We just keep coming back.MyDineVIPDined on 2/28/2014We return again and again. My wife and I feel it is where to get the best steaks. Menu has lots of variety fit for any palate. Desserts, specials, wine and a reasonable beer list. Good atmosphere and service is very good though not as good as all the rest. Have to ask for bread - not offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst!PammyDined on 2/23/2014This was the worst dinner I've ever had at Max's! There were two of us dining and we both ordered the price fixe dinner of prime rib. It was so tough you could barely even cut it! They gave you a popover with it, but I'm afraid that no one knows what a real popover is! This was just something about the size of a golf ball and it was burnt to a crisp! We've had the same waiter on previous visits and sorry yo say he was as bad this timid as he was the first time we had him. Very disappointed in our entire dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food poor musicEat2oftenDined on 2/22/2014While the food was good and the service was ok, the music choice to play Journey loudly made the evening less than stellar. Having dined here many times this visit was disappointing. We expected an evening of dining in a fine place but the ambiance was that of a chain restaurant. It may have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fillet I ever had.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014The service was top notch and our meals were done to perfection with wonderful presentation. I was in heaven as I savored my crab cake topped fillet. The meals are a bit pricy so I wouldn't eat here too often but the quality is there so I will come back. My only disappointment was in the dessert. The chocolate cake sounded decadent but I found it dry and not very flavorfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has been more mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2014Food has been more mediocre that most restaurants that charge those prices. Wouldn't describe the food as horrible but I was unimpressed. Had chicken milanese which I thought we be kind of light and had thick breading on it, was very greasy, and there must have been a good pound of chicken on the plate. Wish they gave me less chicken and focused more on the quality of the taste.Special Features:
- Love it. A little pricey butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014Love it. A little pricey but worth it. Good value for the money.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 2/16/2014I suggested Max 's for lunch for four for my mother's birthday because I remembered it being good food. I did not remember that so many dishes had a spicey kick. Even the squash side dish was spicey.Special Features:
- Great place for western massFoody101Dined on 2/14/2014Try the trout dish. Prime rib is the best. Good place for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Night with MAXTomNMicheleDined on 2/14/2014Perfect night, service, meal, Red Rose option for the table - a perfect Valentine's dinner for my wife and I. Never been disappointed by a night at MAX.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I have to say is I gotJustDined on 2/14/2014All I have to say is I got the max cut 16 oz New York strip cooked medium and it was the best steak I ever I have been telling everyone about it and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best time evernandj4everDined on 2/14/2014My overall experience with this place was outstanding. From the moment my husband and I arrived, everyone was nice and friendly. Being it was Valentine's Day, are food was accurate and served in a timely manner. The restaurant was beautiful and the sitting was nice. One thing I didn't like but it wasn't a big deal was my dessert. I ordered a chocolate cake and it taste as if it was sitting in the refrigerator for quite some time. All in all, had a wonderful time. Was my first time but it will definitely not be my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014We were rushed from the beginning. When paying this much for food, I expect to have a nice dining experience, not just a decent steak. The food was very good, but I must say that we felt rushed from the beginning. Our server did not really discuss the menu with us other than promoting a champagne/oysters special excessively. It felt mechanical. They also seemed to place tables just about anywhere they could to capitalize on the holiday. I have been to this restaurant before and never sat in quarters so tight. They gave up the experience to sit a few more people. This was NOT fine dining.
- wonderfullimsgirlDined on 2/14/2014Went to our favorite restaurant on Valentine's Day. We were treated to some special attention because our prior special occasion visit was marked by a few snags that were quite unusual for this great place. Needless to say, we not only felt it totally made up for the disappointments of the prior visit, Max's surpassed itself! Food was delicious, waitress Melissa an absolute gem. Max's, please never close!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Not!LingDined on 2/14/2014Simply "grilled" scallops were too salty.Fully stuffed potato was cold.Table was too small.Special Features:
- ConsistentSparkjakeDined on 2/8/2014Whenever we go to Max's, we know what to expect....great food, lively atmosphere and a wait, even with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveExpensivenightDined on 2/8/2014Got there at 7:00 for a 7:15 reservation. Did not get seated until 7:45. Food is good but very pricey!Special Features:
- MAX-reviewHappydinerDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I enjoyed the atmosphere, the friendly staff, not to mention the food. The moment we walked in the door, we received a friendly greeting, and even though we were a little early for our reservation, we were seated immediately. The dining area was almost completely full, but seemed vibrant, and not to noisy at all. We could even hear the chef's calling out orders, which seemed interesting in a way and added to the atmosphere we thought. Our food, my wife had the Filet Mignon Oscar, I had the Max Cut New York Strip , was impeccable. It was cooked just as requested and was a treat to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for extra chargesBillDined on 2/7/2014Waitress brought us water and appetizer that she suggested but didn't advise us that these items had extra charges. Meal took a long time to be prepared. Baked potatoes overcooked and luke warm. My cheddar potatoes cold. I've been here many times and this time was the by far the worst. This was the first time with my family.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth stopping heretransientDined on 2/2/2014This experience surprised me and my guests. We expected decent but not exceptional food, and we were disappointed even in those expectations. The menu looks much better than the actual dishes proved to be. The "service" was laughable. Does not deserve the high rating in some travel sites.Recommend you look elsewhere.
- Very good food, convenient locationluv2dineoutDined on 2/1/2014This was our second visit in else than a month. The food is consistently excellent. They also offer a gluten-free menu. Definitely order the cajun scallops!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ChrisfromCTDined on 1/29/2014Max Tavern lives up to the same quality I've come to expect from all of the Max restaurants - just excellent! From the minute you walk in the door, you feel like you've walked into the a place you've been 100 times before. The wait staff is always warm, friendly and the food is excellent. Another "Max" gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very fitting addition toOMalleyDined on 1/27/2014A very fitting addition to the Max restaurant line. Raises up the level of quality in Springfield restaurants and is a go-to spot. Great combination of quality in an upscale tavern feel.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceLisaMarieVIPDined on 1/26/2014Waiter was not typical "Max" quality. He apparently took our table over from another waitress so things felt a little hap-hazard to begin with. Drinks took a while to get to us and didn't come out together. After rolls and soup were provided, it really went down hill. We waited forever for our meal and when I asked the waiter to please check on the meal, his reply was that it would be out in a few minutes. A few minutes turned into over 10 minutes. What made matters worse was that the waiter never checked on us, offered up apologies for the obvious lateness. One table of six people that arrived after we did finished their meal before ours even arrived--and they had salads and drinks, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat at Max'sskobumbaltimoreDined on 1/25/2014We eat here every year when in Springfield on business. Always look forward to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealkiminadaDined on 1/25/2014There were 4 of us in the party and we all had a delicious meal. Our waitress was excellent - checked in just the right amount but not overwhelming. Drinks were excellent and the bread pudding was amazing. The restaurant was VERY NOISEY throughout our entire meal so that was distracting. My biggest criticism was the hostess. We had reservations for 7 on a Sat night and the waiting area was super crowded. The hostess seemed overwhelmed, she didn't greet us, so anything about how long we were going to have to wait and when she called us for our table, she didn't get our name correct (Cassidy isn't too hard). But once we sat down, the rest of the evening was excellent.
- The GirlsPatsyDined on 1/25/2014We were fortunate enough to be able to get a reservation. We were seated immediately. The menu items were all delicious, which made it hard to choose. Our wait person was very friendly and efficient. The food was excellent and we loved the atmosphere of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short and sweetGenomeDined on 1/23/2014We were a table of six and the guest of honor said it was the best fish she had in a very long time. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a sure betGramDined on 1/20/2014Have eaten lunch and dinner here numerous times. Waitstaff always knowledgeable and attentive. Food choices vary with many specials. have not been disappointed....consistently excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRY THE FRENCH DIPMillersVIPDined on 1/12/2014FRENCH DIP SANDWICH IS IMMACULATE.. GOOD LUNCH BUT A RUDE DININGROOM MANAGER THAT WAS SCOLDING THE KITCHEN STAFF OUT LOUD WAS A HUGE TURN OFF.
- Great as usualRVRGRLDined on 1/10/2014This is probably one of our favorite restaurants in the area - it never disappoints.Special Features:
- Surprisingly SuperbJWeisbrodVIPDined on 1/10/2014This restaurant is in the "Basketball Hall of Fame" building and we expected it to be a bar or grill type "signature" restaurant you find at other restaurants of this type (e.g. Planet Hollywood, etc.). We were quite pleasantly surprised to find this to be of much higher class than these others. Don't be fooled by the location - this is a great restaurant. I had the NY steak and it was absolutely delicious. The mushroom-potato soup was one of the best soups I have ever tasted. My wife had the seafood special with lobster, shrimp, clams, and fish in a delicious sauce. The chef here has a great sense of flavor for the palate and everything we ate was terrific.We will definitely dine here again on our next visit to the Springfield area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.