Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: 4137466299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)fit for foodies (41)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (29)romantic (28)notable wine list (22)hot spot (21)neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Chef visited tables- TookOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008Chef visited tables- Took the time to check with customers.
- We had a great time for anOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2008We had a great time for an early Mother's Day dinner. My daugher throughly enjoyed her grilled cheese with the crust cut off. Our waiter, Mark, was very attentive. A great time was enjoyed by all.Special Features:
- Service was suprisingly slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2008Service was suprisingly slow. Took a very long time just to get water.Special Features:
- I went to your restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008I went to your restaurant for the first time for diner last night. It was a great atmosphere and the food was wonderful. What i was surprised by and also annoyed by was the service. Our waitress (Alyson) from the get go seemed irritated, one of our guests made a comment to me as she left after we said no to appetizers that "she seemed angry about that". I had to agree. From then on it seemed like she was struggling to be cordial. Now I understand we all have bad days and that includes your employees but I also understand that the customer should not be brought into that. It made for a some what uncomfortable night. Also, our dessert took nearly 25 minutes to come which was much too long. While my guests and my wife had a wonderful
- My wife's fish dinner wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2008My wife's fish dinner was very good. She also loved the Chop Chop salad. My Max Prime Beef was too fatty. The waiter recognized this and the manager made good for this by giving us a free desert. I have visited Max a number of times and this is the first time a had a mediore meal. Waiter Mat was very good.Special Features:
- Max's Tavern is always enjoyable.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2008Max's Tavern is always enjoyable. The food and service are consistently very good. Hostesses are always friendly and energetic. It is a great place for lunch - efficient service, convenient location and good food at a reasonable price - whether for business or pleasure. Also a good spot for cocktails and/or dinner in the evening. Outdoor seating is great for warm Spring or Summer days.Special Features:
- The calamari at MAx's is outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2008The calamari at MAx's is outstanding. Weds night the calamari was not piping hot like it should be and usually is. It wasn't even hot, but rather, just warm, and that is annoying. Also, had to ask for rolls. Otherwise the food and service was excellent.
- I have been very pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2008I have been very pleased with all aspects of my visit, which has been for business. I know that the selection will meet the needs of many specific diet types and most importantly to me, be of a health selection. The pan seared trout and the Hollywwod salade was great!Special Features:
- The experience was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/21/2008The experience was wonderful for our Anniversary dinner. Everything about it was great.Special Features:
- I responded that the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2008I responded that the service was fair.... The server himself was actually excellent, but the fact that the kitchen took forever (more than 3 hours) to keep up with the customers was very tiring and on need of improvement. I've eaten here a couple times before and didn't experience the problem .....maybe they were unusually short handed that night??Special Features:
- As always, the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008As always, the food and service is superb! Truly a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- No comments.....food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008No comments.....food was very good....everything was great!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful food for peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008Wonderful food for people who love good food. Fantastic experience as usual!!Special Features:
- My steak was overcooked ,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/17/2008My steak was overcooked , but everything else was fabulous!!! Max's is my favorite spot!Special Features:
- frequent diner....it appearsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/17/2008frequent diner....it appears that every time there is a party or function going on, the wait staff forgets about the patrons in theb main dining rooms...quite disapointing...I expect better than this for a restaurant owned by Mr. Rosenthal.
- Nice but not a place thatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008Nice but not a place that would make me say "I can't wait to return". The waitress was "perky" and very knowledgeable about the menu and describing the way it was prepared. We will go back sometime.Special Features:
- The food was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/9/2008The food was good, but not great. The service was good, server friendly, but the entree came out so fast, we were still eating salad. Felt rushed.Special Features:
- Never have been to any MaxOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008Never have been to any Max Group restaurants before. Other members in my party have been though. Selected this Max because no one has been there before and location was perfect for out of state people. Evening was a birthday celebration for my husband. Food was ok, raw bar was stunning; presentation was excellent. Some appetizers were cold like the crab cakes. Meals were good for the most part. I was told in comparison to other Max restaurants this location does not come close to quality of food and ambience. We will have to compare to other restaurants.Special Features:
- There is still a problem withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008There is still a problem with the Open Table on line reservation service. I have let Max's know a number, a number of times.
- I have eaten at Max's oftenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008I have eaten at Max's often and like it a lot. It has a vibrant bar scene and a good crowd. The food is always good and it has a good wine list. It is in a convenient location with plenty of parking. It is a great place for friends to get together and eat and drink. Max's other restaurants are all outstanding and well managed.Special Features:
- Dinner was great! AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2008Dinner was great! Atmosphere was perfect, food was delicious, and service was perfect.Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2008We had a very enjoyable dinner experience treating my wife's parents to dinner. Our server, Matt, was outstanding and very understanding of special menu needs my in-laws had. He had a great sense of humor while being extremely hospitable at the ssame time. The food was very good and the wine was enjoyed by all. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great selection of food andOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/27/2008Great selection of food and wine. Outstanding staff - all friendly and professional. Very attentive management staff - John, Jamie, and Veronica. We were privileged to meet the number one top gun of the restaurant group, Rich Rosenthal - thank you to the management for making that happen!Special Features:
- Ate there last Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008Ate there last Mother's Day and found the food was very nice with a unique menu. This time (Easter Sunday), though, the menu had nothing imaginative on it. The spinach soup was very good, the crab cake was okay, but I was expecting something more interesting.Special Features:
- I have been to all other MaxOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2008I have been to all other Max Restaurant group restaurants and must say that this one is truly the poorest. The service was horrific. I waited an hour for my appetizer alone. If there was a backup in the kitchen, never once did the waitress come and explain that. The food was fair. Surely not the best of the Max's restaurants. Needless to say, we won't be rushing back.
- Food and service are consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Food and service are consistently good. Steaks - mmmm!Special Features:
- Lax service; waitress tookOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/17/2008Lax service; waitress took ten minutes to greet us at our table. Served tea in a mug covered in black grease. It ended up all over my wife's hand. The food was good. I have eaten at Max's Tavern (and all the other Rosenthal brands) several times. This time it was memorable for all the wrong reasons.Special Features:
- It is my favorite SpringfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2008It is my favorite Springfield restaurant. It's a great place to dine with friends for get togethers and special occasions. The raw oysters and cocktail shrimp are great and the cocktails, entrees and specials have all been enjoyable. The waitstaff has always been welcoming and attentative.Special Features:
- Busy night - service was aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008Busy night - service was a bit slow, but good overall and one of the best places we've found in Springfield.Special Features:
- The food at Max's is excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008The food at Max's is excellent. Our waiter, Matt, was wonderful.Special Features:
- One of our favorites. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/11/2007One of our favorites. Excellent menu, delicious food, and very accomodating to our young grandchildren, yet a sophisticated restaurant. The place to see and be seen.Special Features:
- Max's is the best offeringOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2007Max's is the best offering of the four choices near the Basketball Hall of Fame- I have never had a bad meal there! I also really like the upscale feel of Max's. I fell like it is worth it to get dressed up to go there. The crab cakes are the best around!Special Features:
- Always a winner, at the BasketballJohnPVIPDined on 7/17/2007Always a winner, at the Basketball Hall of Fame. If in the area, a must.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere for any timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2007Great atmosphere for any time of day and exceptional food. Just a fun place.Special Features: