Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: 4137466299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (28)great for lunch (27)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Nice way to celebrate a birthdayTheatreBuffDined on 7/9/2014Special place to celebrate an occasion! Great menu, and loved the raw bar!!Special Features:
- Another great lunchMuttsDined on 7/8/2014Once we were seated at the table I requested , everything was great. Mark was a fantastic waiter and looked after us well. Our food was delicious and we were not rushed, even though we lingered a long time. We love Max's.Special Features:
- great foodnanaDined on 7/5/2014both meals were delicious though not crazy about sauces. good wait staff . not too busy this night but it is usually very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as well as the service. The online reservation feature simplified the process.Special Features:
- Good Stuff at Max's TavernCitySlickerDined on 7/3/2014Another great meal at Max's Tavern. The steak was cooked perfectly and the service was terrific!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 881 reviews are from the Max's Tavern reviews archive.
- Good experience.Pearlgirl2Dined on 6/30/2014We had guests in from England. Meal was very good. Waitress was excellent. We sat inside, but patio looked very inviting on the way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!invitingVIPDined on 6/29/2014What could have been a disastrous experience turned out great! We had an excellent server; the atmosphere is very romantic; the food is typically fantastic. However, my husband's filet mignon was seriously undercooked and when he complained to the manager, the manager was extremely accommodating, fully and genuinely apologetic (even though it wasn't his fault, but the kitchen's). He comped that meal which was very professional...and the right thing to do. Max's has an excellent reputation....and this is one of the many reasons why.Special Features:
- Great serviceLuv2dineDined on 6/28/2014The food and staff was excellent. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionTM22Dined on 6/27/2014Yummy- good for special occasions but a little pricey. The menu options were fantastic. Everyone in our party enjoyed their dinner choices and certainly brought leftovers home! We usually save this restaurant to celebrate an event, birthday, retirement or the like. Worth the drive from Monson MA. Although we would definitely recommend Max's for any reason for a great meal anytime. The steaks are fabulous as well as the seafood. Desserts - well, we won't go there but will say -fabulous! Have not tried the outside terrace dining as yet but plan to before summer is out! Located next to BBHF We have also dined here prior to seeing a event at Symphony Hall or the MassMutual Center. Plenty of free parking and easy on/off to I-91.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Tavern dinnerGlennDined on 6/26/2014Nice dinner. Food was very good. The chopped salad was delicious. The Monkfish special had an Asian flair with great flavors. Our server was very pleasant and gave good recommendations, but service was slow for a Thursday evening - after being seated, we waited too long for our server to arrive with menus and water, we had to ask for bread to go with our salad, and when we finished our dinners, we waited too long for our plates to be cleared. The cheesecake dessert was a nice way to finish; next time I will try the. Bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneDined on 6/21/2014Pleasant but rather expensive for the actual experience.
- Loved it!RumaDined on 6/19/2014I had the opportunity of grabbing dinner at maxs, the environment itself is awesome, the service was great and professional. Food was good, and delivered quick. Overall great experience. I would highly recomend going here.Special Features:
- PapermanVIPDined on 6/17/2014terrible service!! Mr Rosenthal need to spend some time at this location. It is getting worse by the day.
- Excellent serviceLovegoodfoodDined on 6/15/2014Max's is a great place for all occasions. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent..BuffaloRoamDined on 6/14/2014We have been to Max's numerous times.. and the food is always very good.. service it outstanding.. They tend to rush you with ordering right away etc..but we just told our waitress that we wanted a relax and take our time and she was very good about accomadating our request. Steak is the meal of choice , however it is very $$$$.Special Features:
- Bright spot for good foodNYerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Upscale dining in relaxed atmosphere, right next to the NBA Hall of Fame. A welcome addition to what seemed to this tourist to be mostly chain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working the FormulaUlysses4VIPDined on 6/13/2014Max's is a busy and cheerful place. After many years, the Max Group knows how to produce a wide range of competent and pleasing dishes served by a pretty large staff that show up platoon style to help when needed. The wait staff appear to have considerable turnover, but are earnest. At the Tavern, look for comfort food, a good wine and beer list and a satisfying if not transcending meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/9/2014Great meal tonight. We started the meal with French Onion soup, lobster bisque and fried calamari all of which were great. For dinner we had rib eye steak, fillet mignon and mussels which was on the specials menu. GREAT GREAT GREAT, loved everything about the night, fine service and great food, cant get better than that.Special Features:
- Always a good dining experience...MichaelcaneDined on 6/9/2014Max's Tavern is a great place for lunch or dinner, especially for business-related meetings. Good ambiance, excellent service and always great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, ok food...declancanDined on 6/5/2014I've been there twice for lunch and the restaurant has the right look and feel. greeters and servers were very friendly. can get very noisy in the dining room during lunch. the booths are nice and comfy. I've only had salads there and both times the grilled chicken was very dry.
- Great for lunch, better for dinnerArebizDined on 5/16/2014This is the only restaurant in Springfield which makes you feel you're not in Springfield.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentfoodieDined on 5/11/2014We've visited the restaurant on separate occasions for brunch, lunch, and dinner and have found it to be consistent and well worth the prices offered. Recently the Mother's Day brunch menu was limited but excellent. Previously, our salad/burger lunch and steak dinners were very good as well. The atmosphere is classy yet social and the bar area is great for apps and drinks. We'd definitely return for different occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time every time we comeMarkBrooklynVIPDined on 5/10/2014I visit my family in Springfield on a regular basis and this is my restaurant of choice whenever I need to take anyone out. Great steak, great fish items, and we truly enjoy the setting. The staff is extremely attentive and will do their best to take care of all your needs.Special Features:
- very satisfiedSatisfiedDined on 5/5/2014Outstanding service. Very attentive staff Kudos to the Executive ChefSpecial Features:
- Love Max's!CynbizzVIPDined on 5/2/2014We brought some friends from CT who had never been and they loved it! Great, consistent food and quality. Great service as well.Special Features:
- Delicious salads and great servceBolayDined on 4/28/2014Enjoyed a great business luncheon with great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good - Exceptional ServiceSCM1967Dined on 4/20/2014Took my family to Max's Tavren for Easter dinner. We had reservations but unfortunately tables were not clearing quickly enough so there were a number of parties waiting. Trevor, the manager did what he could to apologize and even bought a round of drinks for everyone there. I noticed an empty table in the bar area and my wife and kids decided we should sit there as the bar area is still a nice alternative to the main dining room and it's still a full menu. After we were seated Trevor stopped by again to apologize and to thank us for our patience. I have been to many of the Max's restaurants over the years and this one continues to be my favorite as it is a nice mix of casual and formal dining with great food options.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week was great!HoppersDined on 4/18/2014Restaurant week ending 4/19/14 was great! $25 for a three course meal that would normally cost about $50--can't beat it. Great food and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Tavern reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Went for the restaurant week special (3 courses for $ 25.00). It was a real bargain. The food was great as usual. Service was a little too fast. We told the server we were in no hurry and not to rush. We were half way threw our salad, when the main course arrived. I REALLY HATE THAT! Also, we had reservations and the host tried to give us a table that was practically in the hallway. WHY DO RESTAURANTS DO THAT? We didn't take the table, and he immediately brought us to an excellent table. I really don't understand the thinking behind getting rid of the worst tables first. It seems to me those tables should be saved for people with no reservations. A simple explanation-we can seat you but the table isn't that great-would suffice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor reservationsSWidenVIPDined on 4/15/2014We had a reservation for 6:45 and we didn't seat down until 8:30. The food was very good but disappointed in the service.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceJohnDined on 4/15/2014Four of us took advantage of Max's Restaurant week- $25 for a 3-course meal. Two choices, filet and bass-both were very good but the filet was outstanding. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choppy BeginningDinerenthuzDined on 4/11/2014Overall the experience was decent. We opted for the restaurant week pre-fix. The portions were good size and the desserts were incredible! The major down side that prevents me from giving high marks is that the hostess, upon arrival, was beyond rude. When asked my name for the reservation, she then barked back with the fact that we were early and she'd seat us closer to our reserved time. No smile or anything. I then said ok. We'd come back in eight minutes then. Absolutely ridiculous. We almost left. As a person who is in this industry, the Host is the very first impression of this restaurant. Epic fail! Our server on the other hand was truly a gem. Kind, courteous, attentive. Perhaps she should train the door staff on behavior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014We enjoyed our meal, and the server was very attentive. If we lived closer, we would go there often. We had a gift card which is what brought us there in the first place. We're glad we did; it was a lovely meal.Special Features:
- We had a lovely time at Max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We had a lovely time at Max's the other night. Our waiter, Mark, was very attentive and accommodating. The food was excellent. We ordered from the Prix Fixe menu, and were not disappointed. We had a long and leisurely supper, and we were not hurried in any way.Special Features:
- Very Good...Except when ....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2014This is our usual "go to" place for a consistent quality meal... except when there is a large private party booked as well. We went to celebrate my husband's birthday (3 people). Because of the large party behind us (entire local Hockey team, Falcons), service from Kitchen was extremely SLOW. Tables that came in after us were served faster, disappointing. Waited nearly 1 1/2 hours before main course arrived... and then one filet mignon ordered came out raw (when it was ordered medium). It's too bad that they didn't warn guests, who make reservations days ahead of time. We wanted to try there "restaurant week" specials, except for the raw steak - everything was really nicely done and a great way to try new things.
- Best MealDaisyDined on 4/8/2014We have been to Max's on many different occasions and this was by far the best meal and experience we have ever had. From the first course to the last all the food was exceptional. We went for Diner's Week and we were so pleased with the choices. We each ordered a different item on the menu and we both loved our meals. It was truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Wish it were more intimatewishing4romanceDined on 4/7/2014Hard to have either a quiet romatic dinner or a working/business dinner when it is so loud all the time. We came on a Monday hoping for a quieter night, but even that was too noisy to enjoy. Sorry. The food was good but for the price, I'd like a nice EXPERIENCE also...
- Great FoodFrequentDinerDined on 3/31/2014I've been there several times prior and was hesitant to go back, but man, was it delicious! I can't wait to go back now! We all had beef, prime rib, meatload and filet mignon. Really, really good. So were the side dishes and salads.Special Features:
- Great place for GF fine diningRobertDined on 3/28/2014This has always been a great restaurant and one of my favorite places in the area. Recently they have been offering gluten free dishes which have been a hit for us (especially the bread!). If you are looking for great food, great atmosphere, and excellent service and a gluten free friendly menu go to Max's Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service but $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Great food, great service but pricey. Lunch for two with two salads, two items from the dinner menu, ice cream, two beers a glass of wine and an after dinner Irish coffee was $116. More than I wanted to spend for a lunch dinner date but can't complain about the food and the exceptional service.Special Features: