Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: 4137466299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (33)vibrant bar scene (29)romantic (27)good for groups (26)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (18)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Bright spot for good foodNYerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Upscale dining in relaxed atmosphere, right next to the NBA Hall of Fame. A welcome addition to what seemed to this tourist to be mostly chain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working the FormulaUlysses4Dined on 6/13/2014Max's is a busy and cheerful place. After many years, the Max Group knows how to produce a wide range of competent and pleasing dishes served by a pretty large staff that show up platoon style to help when needed. The wait staff appear to have considerable turnover, but are earnest. At the Tavern, look for comfort food, a good wine and beer list and a satisfying if not transcending meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/9/2014Great meal tonight. We started the meal with French Onion soup, lobster bisque and fried calamari all of which were great. For dinner we had rib eye steak, fillet mignon and mussels which was on the specials menu. GREAT GREAT GREAT, loved everything about the night, fine service and great food, cant get better than that.Special Features:
- Always a good dining experience...MichaelcaneDined on 6/9/2014Max's Tavern is a great place for lunch or dinner, especially for business-related meetings. Good ambiance, excellent service and always great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, ok food...declancanDined on 6/5/2014I've been there twice for lunch and the restaurant has the right look and feel. greeters and servers were very friendly. can get very noisy in the dining room during lunch. the booths are nice and comfy. I've only had salads there and both times the grilled chicken was very dry.
- The following 866 reviews are from the Max's Tavern reviews archive.
- Great for lunch, better for dinnerArebizDined on 5/16/2014This is the only restaurant in Springfield which makes you feel you're not in Springfield.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentfoodieDined on 5/11/2014We've visited the restaurant on separate occasions for brunch, lunch, and dinner and have found it to be consistent and well worth the prices offered. Recently the Mother's Day brunch menu was limited but excellent. Previously, our salad/burger lunch and steak dinners were very good as well. The atmosphere is classy yet social and the bar area is great for apps and drinks. We'd definitely return for different occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time every time we comeMarkBrooklynVIPDined on 5/10/2014I visit my family in Springfield on a regular basis and this is my restaurant of choice whenever I need to take anyone out. Great steak, great fish items, and we truly enjoy the setting. The staff is extremely attentive and will do their best to take care of all your needs.Special Features:
- very satisfiedSatisfiedDined on 5/5/2014Outstanding service. Very attentive staff Kudos to the Executive ChefSpecial Features:
- Love Max's!CynbizzDined on 5/2/2014We brought some friends from CT who had never been and they loved it! Great, consistent food and quality. Great service as well.Special Features:
- Delicious salads and great servceBolayDined on 4/28/2014Enjoyed a great business luncheon with great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good - Exceptional ServiceSCM1967Dined on 4/20/2014Took my family to Max's Tavren for Easter dinner. We had reservations but unfortunately tables were not clearing quickly enough so there were a number of parties waiting. Trevor, the manager did what he could to apologize and even bought a round of drinks for everyone there. I noticed an empty table in the bar area and my wife and kids decided we should sit there as the bar area is still a nice alternative to the main dining room and it's still a full menu. After we were seated Trevor stopped by again to apologize and to thank us for our patience. I have been to many of the Max's restaurants over the years and this one continues to be my favorite as it is a nice mix of casual and formal dining with great food options.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week was great!HoppersDined on 4/18/2014Restaurant week ending 4/19/14 was great! $25 for a three course meal that would normally cost about $50--can't beat it. Great food and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Tavern reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Went for the restaurant week special (3 courses for $ 25.00). It was a real bargain. The food was great as usual. Service was a little too fast. We told the server we were in no hurry and not to rush. We were half way threw our salad, when the main course arrived. I REALLY HATE THAT! Also, we had reservations and the host tried to give us a table that was practically in the hallway. WHY DO RESTAURANTS DO THAT? We didn't take the table, and he immediately brought us to an excellent table. I really don't understand the thinking behind getting rid of the worst tables first. It seems to me those tables should be saved for people with no reservations. A simple explanation-we can seat you but the table isn't that great-would suffice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor reservationsSWidenVIPDined on 4/15/2014We had a reservation for 6:45 and we didn't seat down until 8:30. The food was very good but disappointed in the service.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceJohnDined on 4/15/2014Four of us took advantage of Max's Restaurant week- $25 for a 3-course meal. Two choices, filet and bass-both were very good but the filet was outstanding. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choppy BeginningDinerenthuzDined on 4/11/2014Overall the experience was decent. We opted for the restaurant week pre-fix. The portions were good size and the desserts were incredible! The major down side that prevents me from giving high marks is that the hostess, upon arrival, was beyond rude. When asked my name for the reservation, she then barked back with the fact that we were early and she'd seat us closer to our reserved time. No smile or anything. I then said ok. We'd come back in eight minutes then. Absolutely ridiculous. We almost left. As a person who is in this industry, the Host is the very first impression of this restaurant. Epic fail! Our server on the other hand was truly a gem. Kind, courteous, attentive. Perhaps she should train the door staff on behavior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014We enjoyed our meal, and the server was very attentive. If we lived closer, we would go there often. We had a gift card which is what brought us there in the first place. We're glad we did; it was a lovely meal.Special Features:
- We had a lovely time at Max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We had a lovely time at Max's the other night. Our waiter, Mark, was very attentive and accommodating. The food was excellent. We ordered from the Prix Fixe menu, and were not disappointed. We had a long and leisurely supper, and we were not hurried in any way.Special Features:
- Very Good...Except when ....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2014This is our usual "go to" place for a consistent quality meal... except when there is a large private party booked as well. We went to celebrate my husband's birthday (3 people). Because of the large party behind us (entire local Hockey team, Falcons), service from Kitchen was extremely SLOW. Tables that came in after us were served faster, disappointing. Waited nearly 1 1/2 hours before main course arrived... and then one filet mignon ordered came out raw (when it was ordered medium). It's too bad that they didn't warn guests, who make reservations days ahead of time. We wanted to try there "restaurant week" specials, except for the raw steak - everything was really nicely done and a great way to try new things.
- Best MealDaisyDined on 4/8/2014We have been to Max's on many different occasions and this was by far the best meal and experience we have ever had. From the first course to the last all the food was exceptional. We went for Diner's Week and we were so pleased with the choices. We each ordered a different item on the menu and we both loved our meals. It was truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Wish it were more intimatewishing4romanceDined on 4/7/2014Hard to have either a quiet romatic dinner or a working/business dinner when it is so loud all the time. We came on a Monday hoping for a quieter night, but even that was too noisy to enjoy. Sorry. The food was good but for the price, I'd like a nice EXPERIENCE also...
- Great FoodFrequentDinerDined on 3/31/2014I've been there several times prior and was hesitant to go back, but man, was it delicious! I can't wait to go back now! We all had beef, prime rib, meatload and filet mignon. Really, really good. So were the side dishes and salads.Special Features:
- Great place for GF fine diningRobertDined on 3/28/2014This has always been a great restaurant and one of my favorite places in the area. Recently they have been offering gluten free dishes which have been a hit for us (especially the bread!). If you are looking for great food, great atmosphere, and excellent service and a gluten free friendly menu go to Max's Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service but $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Great food, great service but pricey. Lunch for two with two salads, two items from the dinner menu, ice cream, two beers a glass of wine and an after dinner Irish coffee was $116. More than I wanted to spend for a lunch dinner date but can't complain about the food and the exceptional service.Special Features:
- very disappointeddancemomDined on 3/21/2014I would not recommend Max's Tavern. The bar was out of my favorite chardonnay so I asked the bartender for a recommendation. Thought she would recommend something comparable but instead she poured a glass of wine that was twice the price. Thought the food in the dining room would be of the quality of Max's Hartford but was very disappointed. The fried seafood was so greasy we just couldn't eat it. The wait staff brought the wrong dinner and when they brought the correct one, the blackened scallops were so salty that we couldn't eat those either. Would expect the bar to be noisy but the noise in the dining room was so loud that it didn't allow for normal conversation. Wish we had gone somewhere else.
- Always a GREAT experienceJackieSDined on 3/14/2014We've been to Max's Tavern (and many of the other Max's restaurants) at many times. They are always very professional and accommodating (we have one in our group with a variety of allergies). A stop at Max's Tavern is an annual stop for us after the WGBY wine tasting!Special Features:
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014We were going to a special event at the Basketball Hall of Fame and were looking for a quick dinner. We had an awesome waitress and even one of our friends who can't have gluten or dairy was able to find something to eat. I got the stout chili, which was good, and I'm so happy I also got a side dish of shredded brussel sprouts with pancetta....to DIE for, and the perfect match with chili. I love this dish so much I'm going to try to recreate it. Luckily they had a few good appetizer specials as mostly that is what we got, paired with a salad. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- SatisfiedIlovefoodDined on 3/13/2014Service was good. Our food was great except my steak was a little burnt. Overall we go to Maxs for our anniversary every year.Special Features:
- This was the second time thatlynnDined on 3/11/2014This was the second time that I have visited Max's Tavern and it was as awesome as the first experience!! Will be back as there are a few other items on the menu that I am dying to try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodnevergooutDined on 3/8/2014Max's Tavern has a 2 page menu, but the choices are great! The sides they offer are different and delicious. I had a steak which was grilled perfectly and had great flavor. My wife went with the salmon, and was also extremely happy with the dish. Max's is well worth the money and provides a very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time to Max's injrs155Dined on 3/7/2014Our second time to Max's in a week and both times were super. Have to try the tuna tacos if you like tuna. Great selection of wines to choose from as well. looking forward to going back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's not like it used to beDinesoutoftenDined on 3/7/2014I haven't been to Max's in awhile and the food just wasn't what't it used to be. The Caesar salad was very plain and lacking taste. The chicken dinner I ordered came with potatoes that were under cooked/hard and, grits that were supposed to be cheese grits that had no taste at all. I hate to write a bad review but that chicken dinner was disappointing and so was the Caesar I think I will stick to my old favorites .... Storrowtown and East Side Grill. I was also embarrased because I had brought in a relative from out of Town and, had raved about Max's. Fortunately he had the filet mignon and, he found that part of the meal to his liking. I think Max's is okay if you order beef.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I ordered a chopped salad with grilled shrimp and my husband had the steak. The salad was 20.00 and had two shrimp chopped up in it and the steak was very tough. Very disappointed. Will not go backSpecial Features:
- We just keep coming back.MyDineVIPDined on 2/28/2014We return again and again. My wife and I feel it is where to get the best steaks. Menu has lots of variety fit for any palate. Desserts, specials, wine and a reasonable beer list. Good atmosphere and service is very good though not as good as all the rest. Have to ask for bread - not offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst!PammyDined on 2/23/2014This was the worst dinner I've ever had at Max's! There were two of us dining and we both ordered the price fixe dinner of prime rib. It was so tough you could barely even cut it! They gave you a popover with it, but I'm afraid that no one knows what a real popover is! This was just something about the size of a golf ball and it was burnt to a crisp! We've had the same waiter on previous visits and sorry yo say he was as bad this timid as he was the first time we had him. Very disappointed in our entire dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food poor musicEat2oftenDined on 2/22/2014While the food was good and the service was ok, the music choice to play Journey loudly made the evening less than stellar. Having dined here many times this visit was disappointing. We expected an evening of dining in a fine place but the ambiance was that of a chain restaurant. It may have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fillet I ever had.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014The service was top notch and our meals were done to perfection with wonderful presentation. I was in heaven as I savored my crab cake topped fillet. The meals are a bit pricy so I wouldn't eat here too often but the quality is there so I will come back. My only disappointment was in the dessert. The chocolate cake sounded decadent but I found it dry and not very flavorfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has been more mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2014Food has been more mediocre that most restaurants that charge those prices. Wouldn't describe the food as horrible but I was unimpressed. Had chicken milanese which I thought we be kind of light and had thick breading on it, was very greasy, and there must have been a good pound of chicken on the plate. Wish they gave me less chicken and focused more on the quality of the taste.Special Features:
- Love it. A little pricey butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014Love it. A little pricey but worth it. Good value for the money.Special Features: