Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
4437 California Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maonoseattle.com/
- Phone: 2069351075x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mark Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information at 206.935.1075
- Private Party Contact: Marjorie Chang Fuller 2069351075x
- Cross Street: Genesee Street and Oregon Street
- Public Transit: Bus routes 22, 54 and 55 travel between West Seattle and Downtown Seattle approximately every 15-30 minutes. For specific times call Metro rider information or visit their website.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking along California Avenue SW, Genesee and Oregon Streets. Free West Seattle Junction parking lots located at Oregon Street and 44th Avenue SW and Oregon Street and 42nd Avenue SW.
A word from Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar is now Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky. Same owner. Same chef. Same location. Same commitment to good food. Just a different approach and a brand new menu. Inspired by Hawaii and perfect for sharing, our new menu encourages you to have a bit more fun with it all. And the best part: our famous fried chicken is now on the menu every night of the week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (38)hot spot (30)great for brunch (29)special occasion (22)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (12)late-night find (7)romantic (7)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Valentines' day treatchcubDined on 2/14/2014We have eaten at this restaurant numerous times and have always had a great meal. The fried chicken is great. They had a special menu for valentines' day and it was exceptional. Each course was unique and a new taste experience. The oysters with a sauce I can neither spell nor pronounce left me begging for more. The rest of the meal lived up to its beginning. We are lucky to have such a gem in our neighborhood. If you go for the chicken be sure to order the Kalua pork tacos, they are killers.Special Features:
- It was okay - but wished for...VdaycoupleDined on 2/14/2014better flavors - the fried chicken was good, but my date's piece was a bit undercooked/greasy. In addition, the server recommended upgrading to their curry rice, which we both didn't quite enjoy. The steamed buns that we had ordered as an appetizer was the best of everything we had ordered and weren't wow'ed by the main entree. The loco moco is a fantastic dish that they had added in too many competing flavors that made it not taste like traditional loco moco. In addition we had ordered a drink that never came and had to correct our bill at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood DiningFeedme83Dined on 2/14/2014This was my second visit and the experience wasn't as great as the first. We had an early 5:15pm reservation on Valentine's Day. I reserved a whole chicken in advance, as required. All the personnel were polite & attentive, but the food took almost a half-hour. Besides the chicken, we ordered a side of buns and 2 vegetable dishes. The restaurant wasn't that busy then, but we did notice quite a few to-go orders. After a couple of drinks, our food finally arrived. Veggies were delicious, but several of the chicken pieces were overly done & dry. I wouldn't have minded the wait so much if the chicken was cooked to perfection, but unfortunately it wasn't. So, for this visit the rating is just "good".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceRainydayJDined on 2/8/2014The food was absolutely delicious! The service was hit or miss. For example, I would prefer that the hostess confirm that she had our reservation at 5, and would seat us shortly. Instead, when we walked in at 4:58, we were told that we were too early and they were not open yet! Our waitress was similarly brusque. There was a male server who brought our main course. He was very personable and even made a point of telling us about the sauce and kimchee flavors. I wish all of their serving staff would have been as pleasant as he was. As is, I would recommend ordering Ma'Ono for take out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED the chicken - screaming childCharlieZVIPDined on 2/5/2014The chicken was amazing, the sides delicious and the cocktails spot on. The two screaming children, with parents wearing ear plugs NOT so much fun. And staff did not intervene... not so cool.Special Features:
- service was incredibly bad and slowDinerCriticVIPDined on 1/26/2014the service was so slow we will likely not dine there again. dinner took over 3 hours. our guests are so annoyed. we were embarrassed.Special Features:
- Love the Fried Chicken and Kimchi!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2014Delicious every time. Call ahead to reserve a half or whole chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD OMG but the food SO amazingKatiejoDined on 1/24/2014Dear God, the food here is so freakin' good- it's scary! But we had to yell across our table to be heard. The service was good, the Manhattan was delicious as were the desserts. I have ordered whole chickens from Ma-Ono for pick up to serve at a dinner party, it is that good. I think that is what we will do from now on. Is there a more quiet area of the restaurant? Please make one!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicken and whiskeymattgDined on 1/14/2014The name says it all - got the chicken, spam masubi, broccoli, and poke. All were great and the drinks were perfect!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm Mm YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014Do you like fried chicken? Even if you don't check out the menu, your bound to find something you like. Wonderful food, awesome little West Seattle gem. Will be coming back to try out more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winner winner, chicken dinnerstormygirlVIPDined on 1/11/2014The fried chicken dinners here are just great! you need to reserve them in advance, always better to get too much so that you can have leftover fried chicken the next day! we like to swap the regular rice for the curry & bacon fried rice. Great whiskey list as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited Menu but tastyalfyDined on 1/10/2014Pretty good food. The GF fried chicken had a good value for the taste. Loved the sauces. Did not like that it came with rice and the other sides felt boring and limited. The service was unbearably slow. Don't think we'd go back but it was still worth the try.
- Great West Seattle restaurantkdogDined on 1/10/2014We loved the food. Everything on the menu looked good, we had a hard time making decisions. The good news is that we got to share dishes family style. The fried chicken is sooo good and the fried rice! The lighting and ambiance is great. The only complaints were that we got a table under a fan and it was cold and drafty. Our server was good but not very knowledgeable about the food or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than Spring HillDCQEatsDined on 12/31/2013The fried chicken thing was fun, but it wasn't "amazing" or anything but definitely worth a half chicken while trying some other stuff. Kalua pig tacos were authentic and the real deal and of the things we tried would be considered the best on the menu. We ordered a poke fish and fresh crab dish, but the roll-out of that was either botched by the kitchen or the server...we're not sure which but even though it was the first thing we ordered as an appetizer, it showed up in the middle of the 3rd course- and was no longer appealing at that point so sent back. The waiter was very gracious and comp'd us a beer which was nice. Overall, we'd go back and do it again and it was certainly better than the bland and overpriced Spring Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the best for a new yearOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Booked a night with friends, knowing the restaurant would be busy, we were not in a hurry and expected delays. what we didn't expect was to feel ignored, Our water glasses and wine glasses empty our main dish arrived (love the chicken) with out any sides. Our sides came 25minutes after we stopped eating. Difficult to get the waiters attention as he seemed to join another table. When my husband finally complained the waiter brought him a glass of wine, there where 4 of us at the table!Special Features:
- Christmas Eve delight!SLinceDined on 12/24/2013Fried chicken and whole trout, the most delicious items on the menu. Sided by yummy carmelized broccoli and garlic green beans that were mouth watering. Ideal for four people or less. The spam musubi and macaroni salad could use some love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2013The food was delicious. We ended up ordering too much food but we are loving the leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the special fried chickenSandyDined on 12/22/2013We had the special fried chicken dinner - and it is outstanding......the dish easily feeds 4 (with leftovers) and leaves us all feeling full and happy! The atmosphere is a little 'cold' with the concrete floor - would be great if the place was 'warmed up' a bit. Our server seemed a bit distracted, a bit off from their normally stellar service. Won't keep us away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!luliaDined on 12/15/2013great visit. food was delicious. service was good. I was very happy with our visit.Special Features:
- Chickee Chickee Yum YumpromianeDined on 12/14/2013Ok, I am a self professed Fried Chicken expert. This stuff did it for me. Crispy skin (all skin intact) evenly browned, perfectly seasoned just to the point of making me drool. I did, quite a bit if I truly admit it. Lemony escarole, apple fritters and pork buns. Round out all this business with a bottomless mimosa and I am a very very satisfied customer. Thank you thank you thank you thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a little priceyfunfoodDined on 12/13/2013Great food but a little pricey for fried chicken. The noise level makes converstations tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice assortment of meal optionsPJDDSADined on 12/11/2013Nice assortment of meal options but somewhat limited. Happy hour options weak.....like that it goes to 6:30 pm. Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- make sure you have a reservationpoppysmithDined on 12/7/2013easy to do on open table. very popular. we pre-ordered the fried chicken . it is lovely. sides were uninspired. will go back to try more though. have some interesting entrees besides the chicken.Special Features:
- great food and servicebyoselfVIPDined on 11/30/2013awesome service and food, have to mention the varieties of Whisky that are available as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- df easy, gf with careAlisaundreDined on 11/16/2013Gluten intolerant folks can eat really well if you can tolerate a wee bit of soy sauce. Everything is super yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!MikeyEatsDined on 11/15/2013Outside of the Keg wine, which was a little weird. This place was fantastic! Had the spare ribs and she had the burger. She said the burger is probably the best one she has ever had. Popcorn Ice Cream was a great finish as well. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a plate lunch placelcollerDined on 11/10/2013A whole chicken, plus 5 apps, fed 5 of us, and we had a box to take home. Everything was very tasty, and we'll go back. The service was uneven - we were given a bowl for bones, but then it was taken away while we were still eating; another bowl was not brought to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and Whisky, need I say moreEbenDined on 11/9/2013Second time dining here and we will be back for a third. The chicken here is amazing, make sure you request one when making your reservation. The chicken is not super greasy (a la KFC) and it tastes amazing. Fall off the bone, eat all the unhealthy skin, and fight for the last piece good. The sides are just as good too. We had the Spam sushi rolls, pork tacos (could have eaten 12 of these), green beans and pork sweet rolls. All amazing. The whisky list is decent, not overly huge and slightly expensive. I recommend the Bastille, super smooth with a hint of orange. Goes really well with the chicken. The service was pretty good, server was absent for a while and then overly attentive but not enough to ruin our night. Great place!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodadamDined on 11/8/2013Their claim to fame is the fried chicken, which is always excellent, but they also have a number of other dishes that are also very good. Their pupus are delicious as well. I haven't had anything I didn't like at Ma'ono. It can get a little loud, but it's fun there. I love the decor. My servers have always been great.Special Features:
- Sparkling gem of West SeattlemarywbDined on 11/8/2013Had been wanting to try Ma'ono for some time, and finally found a proper date night to do so. I ordered my half chicken in advance, so we only needed to choose sides and drinks. Drink choices were stellar and service was prompt and kind. The chicken itself was well seasoned, not too greasy, and overall divine. But the sides left a little to be desired. We got the caramelized broccoli, and it shot past the al dente border into the land of raw. It was like gnawing on a chunk of tree bark, and the flavor was off as well. We left it mostly uneaten, and when we told the person who checked up on us after the meal, we were told it was an artistic choice of the chef. Fair enough, I artistically choose to disagree and never eat your broccoli again.Special Features:
- This was the most incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2013This was the most incredible fried chicken I have ever tasted. You have to get the huge sweet rolls with it! Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to OKJK54Dined on 11/2/2013Chicken brunch was great. Corned beef hash was good except oven fried potatoes were hard and chewy and not very hot. Mimosa's and Bloody Marys were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to Ma' ono FriedwsmikeDined on 10/23/2013We've been to Ma' ono Fried Chicken & Whiskey (previously known as Spring Hill) over the last couple years and have never been disappointed. The menu provides a spectrum of simple, yet delicious foods that balance flavor, color, texture, and aroma. The value is outstanding and we always bring something home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great W.Sea. gem, not worth a trekboboeatsseattleDined on 10/20/2013Stoked about a korean fried chicken spot, I made the requisite reservations- which I think is a bit odd to begin with..as plans go, more people ended up joining. I made my apologies to the hostess and was grateful for any way that they can accommodate a slightly larger group. The hostess was great- flexible and willing to work with me. The server, on the otherhand, was absolutely unable to use her imagination and figure out what could possibly be done to help us out and look for any other alternative solutions. for someone in the service industry, such a rigid and inflexible attitude is not helpful. the food was ok, it wasn't well articulated in the menu or in the food itself how the food is distinctly hawaiian or korean.Special Features:
- Creative menu. Kaulia porkDat3nightdin3rDined on 10/17/2013Creative menu. Kaulia pork lettuce wraps excellent but did not care much for the peanut butter rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerJordanDined on 10/17/2013Great dinner. Went for Restaurant Week but will be returning to try out the full menu. The fried chicken was great and so were the Pork Lettuce Wraps!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaiian deliciousness!SunnieDined on 10/13/2013I've wanted to eat at Ma'ono for a while but never had the opportunity. Glad I finally made it! It was a busy night but service was prompt and my water glass was filled often. I enjoyed my spot near the open kitchen, I could see all the dishes going past and it helped me decide what to order! It was really a difficult choice, and although I went with something other than the chicken I know I'll be back for it someday soon. My kalua pork lettuce wraps were delicious, though, and caramelized banana lumpia for dessert was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good...terrible service..Jotto76Dined on 10/13/2013The food is the only reason I have been twice now. Service is horrible and slow.
- Best Fried ChickensavvydocDined on 10/13/2013We were a party of 3 & all born/reared in Georgia where fried chicken is king. One of our party commented she was not sure how someone in the NW learned to cook fried chicken as good as that we grew up with. We were all pleasantly surprised. Whereas chili sauce, sweet & sour & kim chee were not accompaniments we were familiar with, they definitely added a nice & tasty kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealWSLocalDined on 10/11/2013As usual, the fried chicken did not disappoint ( though we later realized that we were served 1 breast and 3 wings--would make for a very odd looking bird). Musubi was better than we remembered and great cocktails. Server was appropriately attentive and very helpful in offering suggestions. Only negative is the sound level--made conversation a screaming match at one point--would love to see that addressed as this really is the best of West Seattle and we love to show it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.