Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
4437 California Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maonoseattle.com/
- Phone: 2069351075x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mark Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information at 206.935.1075
- Private Party Contact: Marjorie Chang Fuller 2069351075x
- Cross Street: Genesee Street and Oregon Street
- Public Transit: Bus routes 22, 54 and 55 travel between West Seattle and Downtown Seattle approximately every 15-30 minutes. For specific times call Metro rider information or visit their website.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking along California Avenue SW, Genesee and Oregon Streets. Free West Seattle Junction parking lots located at Oregon Street and 44th Avenue SW and Oregon Street and 42nd Avenue SW.
A word from Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar is now Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky. Same owner. Same chef. Same location. Same commitment to good food. Just a different approach and a brand new menu. Inspired by Hawaii and perfect for sharing, our new menu encourages you to have a bit more fun with it all. And the best part: our famous fried chicken is now on the menu every night of the week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (67)good for groups (34)great for brunch (29)hot spot (27)special occasion (26)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)romantic (7)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Happy Anniversary!HungryJackDined on 5/23/2014Wow, Awesome Menu, start out with the Portuguese Sausage, then from the Grill dive into a Ma'ono Beef Burger (Medium Rare). The Fries are to die for, perfect with the home made ketchup. The Cider is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 864 reviews are from the Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews archive.
- Menu Did Say Kimchi on the Menu...Pan2FVIPDined on 5/18/2014so if you like it, it might be good. I've avoided this pickled fermented cabbage food and will continue to do so, the smell alone, so what was nice when my order came with Kimchi it was in a jar so I just kept it closed. The 1/2 crispy chicken was extra fried, it was Ok, not real juicy and too much layer of crust for me. I loved the ambiance, very casual but trendy. Service was great also!Special Features:
- Unexpected and amazingMaryjuliaDined on 5/17/2014We didn't know what to expect with a place called fried chicken and whiskey. We were so pleasantly delighted. The chicken was decadent and seriously finger licking good. Two of us split a half order of chicken and three pupus; it was plenty of food. Ah!! So good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome chickenTLC37thDined on 5/11/2014We had the pleasure of eating at Ma'ono for Mother's Day. I say pleasure because the food is AMAZING!!!! Must preorder chicken, might be sold out, so I had done that. The food was seriously awesome. Our waitress had a serious chip on her shoulder, dampened our experience. There were several incidents but one that stuck out was that she seemed bothered when my husband asked for a different wine glass cause the one that she had given him was really dirty, then took a very long time to replace. Hopefully next time we get a different waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Touch of Aloha on a PlateohanagirlDined on 5/11/2014Trekking from Woodinville to West Seattle for a Mom's Day Dinner at Ma'Ono was well worth the drive. Artful decor with a contemporary, yet casual vibe, was a perfect setting to partake in the "ono eats" - with a taste of Hawaii to tempt our tastebuds. Love the perfectly prepared fried chicken specialty and delicious trout, along with a bevy of sides to compliment the main dishes. Service was good and the dining experience pleasant. Certainly worth a return visit. Hana Hou!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fried chicken & gravy!JacfDined on 5/11/2014The brunch was delicious. We had the fried chicken, loco moco and the french toast. All were fabulous. The service was efficient and gracious. My bottomless mimosa was never empty.Special Features:
- Ma'onoliciousIslandMamaDined on 5/10/2014I had been dying to try Ma'ono for a while, and Mother's Day seemed to be the perfect occasion. Despite the typical West Seattle challenges (traffic and lack of parking), we arrived on time and were seated promptly. It was very lively and loud at 6:00 on Saturday, but the crowd died down by 7:00, which may be because Mother's Day was the next day. In addition to the fried chicken which we had pre-ordered (I appreciated the reminder call), we ordered the cucumbers (excellent), sweet bread (excellent), mac salad (fantastic), and Ma'ono Saimin as well as Fatty Saimin for the kids. All were great. We especially enjoyed the cucumbers and the kimchee that comes with the chicken. We tried all the desserts (there were three options).Special Features:
- Awesome foodpete75Dined on 5/10/2014Ma'ono is my new favorite West Seattle restaurant. This place literally has the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. Additionally, I had a very unique beer based cocktail that was incredibly good. Ma'ono has a very unique menu with Hawaiin inspired food and beverages and it is a nice departure from typical Pacific Northwest fare. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- GO HERE FOR BRUNCH!foodies206Dined on 5/4/2014I went with a party of 5 to Ma'ono for brunch on a Sunday. We were late to our reservation by 10 minutes, but our table was still reserved! There was a party in front of us (who didn't have reservations) and were told the wait would be an hour. I am extremely glad that I made a reservation! We were seated right away and had such a great experience with the food and the service. Our waitress was great at refilling our mimosas and waters while not trying to interrupt our conversations. I will return again!Special Features:
- I think our waiter was newheidijDined on 5/3/2014We've been to Ma'ono many times and always have a great time. Although we told him we had been there many times before, he second-guessed our ordering. He felt the need to explain the difference between the green salad and the stir-friend greens (duh!). My husband and I were sharing a chicken, one of our friends ordered a large plate, and our other friend ordered two small plates. Unfortunately, our waiter apparently didn't understand that was her dinner and brought them out as we were finishing our salads but well before the chicken and her husband's entree came out, so the hot item she ordered was cold by the time the rest of the food came. He did give us a good wine recommendation and was pleasant and enthusiastic, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hype...theM0nkiDined on 5/3/2014When food blogs, media critics and the generally snobby foodie friend hypes up the chicken from Ma'ono, it creates a sense of hype that both helps and works against the establishment. The chicken was not bad, but it was definitely not great either. The batter was rather bland and dense. The chicken was moist; that was the only saving grace. Many of the savory menu items, or accompaniments, were too salty (i.e. saimin, sausage gravy, macaroni, etc.). I'll return, but only on a full stomach...just for drinks.Special Features:
- try everythingassalDined on 5/1/2014From the sriracha apples, to the Hawaiian hot rolls, fried chicken, bacon fried rice, and popcorn ice-cream, everything was delicious! Will visit as often as I can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trek from BellevueLeilaniDined on 4/26/2014Only one table for a large party. We had a reservation at 9:30 and the restaurant seemed closed because it was so dark from the outside and the block they were on was dead. The hostess was all frowns and not friendly at all. We felt like we were messing them up because our reservation was so late. Took a while for a waitress to come by to take our drink order and by then the restaurant was pretty empty. The food is why you come. We preordered fried chicken which is what they are known for. We also loved their burger, spam musubi, veggies, pork tacos. Whiskey drink Napoleons Kick was amazing, we returned the Dirty Diana it was way too strong. I'm from Hawaii so i can attest to its authenticity. Want to come back and try their brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014Fried Chicken AMAZING. Shriracha Apples AMAZING, Loco Moco AMAZING. A bit loud for my taste but great serviceSpecial Features:
- Reserve your chicken!bryntaylorDined on 4/23/2014At first, it seemed a little silly to have to reserve a chicken in advance...but then you eat it. Good lord is that great fried chicken. Now, I don't care if I have to submit a formal request with a notary stamp to get that stuff.Special Features:
- The bestuhmbrrDined on 4/23/2014Everyone raves about their fried chicken but from my experience, they have so many things to offer aside from that. They also have the nicest servers, the greatest chefs, and just food that you savor until the last bite. People try a restaurant for the food... you keep coming back for its hospitality and consistency. Thanks!Special Features:
- Delishember2536Dined on 4/15/2014The side portions were a little small for the price but they were delish!! The fried chicken was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger I have ever had,ahmomDined on 4/13/2014Best burger I have ever had, seriously! And the Hawaiian shave ice is a DO NOT MISS. Tastes like fresh snow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fried ChickenTrif3ctaDined on 4/13/2014The Fried Chicken is definitely worth the try. Easily the best part of our meal, but a nice little gem were the pork tacos on the Pupus menu. Next time, I would come back during brunch to try their brunch food and bottomless Mimosas :-) The only down side was that our server Courtney, wasn't exactly to attentive to our table. Often times, she'd forget what we'd ask for and we'd have to wait even longer for her to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm...fried chicken....KellyMVIPDined on 4/12/2014Just went to Ma'ono for the second time; this time we brought friends. It was a great experience--our server was so funny, and the food (we had fried chicken, fried rice, the broccoli, the popcorn ice cream, and the edamame, not necessarily in that order) was fabulous. Thank goodness we'd called earlier in the day to reserve a chicken, as they were all out by the time we got there. BTW, you should not eat here without trying the broccoli; it's amazing. Also, although it sounds super weird, the popcorn ice cream was really good--it tastes exactly like popcorn, but cold and creamy! We had a great time and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!sophiehernandezDined on 4/12/2014I've heard about Ma'ono's for a long time but we live on Capitol Hill and there are many good restaurants nearby. We finally made the trek and it was even better than I was expecting. We ordered the whole fried chicken that comes with kimchi and rice when we made our reservations. I don't think I have ever been to a hawaiian themed restaurant that is so modern with its decor. That was a pleasant surprise. The service was great, we were seated earlier than our reservation time. We ordered macaroni salad, garlic broccoli, and sweet rolls to accompany our fried chicken. Everything was fantastic! All the flavors just went so well together. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Make the trek. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for low-salt dietsFoodieDined on 4/10/2014The saimin was too salty as was the dashi broth. The food was good and ambience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sipmple the Best Chicken Ever!juleerDined on 4/9/2014My husband and I discovered this place in February and brought friends with us in April! The whole experience was wonderful. The unusual sides meld well with the chicken and one could have a meal of just sides. In particular, the roasted carrots with cilentro and coconut sauces were absolutely first rate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-hypedJerryDined on 4/8/2014I brought my family of four to this restaurant based on a family recommendation. We were looking forward to being treated to some exceptionally tasting food, but for the most part, we found shortfalls in the dishes we ordered. The only item that didn't bring any negative feedback from anyone were their burgers (the entree version and the "mini-burger" Asian bao-like version). The loco moco sounded interesting on paper, but wasn't all that special when we tried it. The duck fried rice had way too many fatty chunks of duck to be acceptable for finer dining, plus it seemed that every grain of rice was individually fried so the fried rice was quite tough to chew, almost like hard candy which would get stuck on and in-between teeth.
- great West Seattle brunch spot!westieDined on 4/6/2014We came for brunch and were happy we did. Our group shared a small order of fried chicken which came with biscuits, gravy and maple syrup! I've never had fried chicken for breakfast but It was delicious! Then we shared a couple of egg dishes (the more traditional eggs benedict and a croque madam). In all the food was fantastic and the service was great. And did I mention the bottomless mimosas?Special Features:
- Ma'ono rocks!!Deenice253Dined on 4/6/2014Love the food and the bottomless mimosas!!! Great experience every time. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were too many greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014There were too many great looking items to be able to sample them all. Hopefully in another visit I will just have pupus instead of a complete dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fried Chicken, Good Whiskey2XtheScrillaDined on 3/29/2014Really, the name says it all: Fried Chicken & Whiskey. The service was friendly. The chicken was excellent, as were the green beans and my Manhattan. The whiskey list is a little optimistic in its pricing, but I imagine they're getting folks to pay, so… so be it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty, friendly, unusual, w/ styleChrisKDined on 3/28/2014Oh, I pretty much liked this place. Went back for Round 2 within 3 days. A place that can be what you want it to be. Cocktail + apps for two. Big dinner for you and a mess of friends. Adding a bit of spice to your weekly regulars with their authentically yummy food. So far: fried chicken (excellent), lettuce w/ lemony dressing (sublime), kimchee (I'm not a huge fan, but will eat a bit), Portuguese sausage with cheesy grits (quite good!), sriracha apple (unusual and interesting combo) . There is a whiskey list with some of the necessaries on it like Laphroiag. And a reasonable selection of decent cocktails. (Absent my favorite - - rum cocktails.) Even... beer cocktails. Rare to see a Michelada outside Mexico. Recommended ! Informal, too.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerScottDined on 3/28/2014Start to finish, a great experience. We pre-ordered a whole chicken, but probably could've done a half for our party of 3. Waiter Chad was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Suggested the bleu cheese apple and the garden salads, which were stellar. Chicken was sublime; juicy and crisp. Took Chad's advice on the fried rice side and their house made fermented chili sauce. Perfect. Now I know why it has taken so long for us to get in here. We had a 715 resy, by 830 it was chaotic. Save for the over-perfumed sextet of ladies next to us, it was a unique but very satisfying dining experience. Only drawback was Chad was slammed and we had a bit of a wait for our bill. Please go here. Worth every penny, but be warned, this place is LOUD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent dining experiencezzzsterDined on 3/5/20142nd time to this restaurant and loved it again! The fried chicken is great! The only fried chicken I've had that's better was my Grandma's southern fried chicken years ago. The service was outstanding - very top of the line professional and knowledgeable as I would expect in a really nice restaurant downtown. The edemame in spicy sauce was excellent, as was the poke and fried rice. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Good Service. Long WaitJByJJDined on 2/28/2014I have wanted to try this place for a while. The food was good. The menu was interesting. The wait when making a res through open table was too long without easy access to the bar and the small entry area. I would hope they better prepare for actual reservation times. When I made the res I think they had them every 15 minutes. Maybe they should have them every 30. Also the bottles at the bar could use some warm ambient light. However, don't take this as a negative. This is one of my favorite places now. We will be back to try the OX tail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Fried UpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Excellent service. Atmosphere was fine but the booth seats are still uncomfortable (as they were when the restaurant was SPRING HILL....one of my favorites, by the way). Really some inch think cushions would help without violating the utilitarian, minimalistic ambiance. Perhaps people would even stay a bit longer. Bottom line here....my "bottom" is important. :-) I prefer organic without a doubt and I suspect that since it was not a claim listed on the menu, that it was indeed NOT. The chicken was over-cooked and a bit dry. Even the other tables' chickens appeared the same. The rice, bacon & pea dish was overly salty but had potential. The greens were perfect. Whiskey glasses were great & excellent ice cubes!Special Features:
- Saturday BrunchBinkyDined on 2/22/2014The food at Ma'Ono was outstanding. I had the Ma'Ono saimin and it was wonderful with a rich, smoky broth. My son in law got the fried chicken and he was very generous, he saved a piece for me. It was as advertised, some of the best I have ever had. My wife had the quiche and was a huge piece but very light with a flaky crust. Overall a fine meal and a place I would recommend to anyone wanting to try something a little different in a brunch menu.Special Features:
- What's in a name?FoodieTDined on 2/21/2014This place is trendy without being pretentious. Well, I suppose it's a little pretentious considering you can't get the fried chicken unless you preorder it, despite the words "Fried" and "Chicken" being in their name. Thankfully, I did read that somewhere and ordered in advance. That Fried Chicken was all you could ask for, and I'm from the south y'all, so I know what I'm talking about. It's really unfortunate that my other dishes sucked, including the Curry Bacon Rice which was inedible (for real Chef, lay off the soy sauce) and the Poke which wasn't fresh. Don't expect any whiskey aficionados here either even though the word "Whiskey" is in their name. They use inappropriate glasses and the servers aren't trained. I have mixed feelings.Special Features:
- First ExperiencejuleerDined on 2/17/2014We came to Ma'Ono to taste the fried chicken and celebrate my husband's birthday. The lighting was low and we had difficulty finding the restaurant. Once we did everything went like clockwork. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Our waitress knew what we had pre-ordered and gave us advice on side dishes. She even put a candle for my husband in our dessert pie. We enjoyed it very much and will go again.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatFJ72Dined on 2/17/2014We pre-ordered the half chicken, and we were very excited to try it based on the website and recommendations by friends. Unfortunately, we were a bit disappointed. The chicken was a bit bland. The kimchee that came on the side was also bland and not at all spicy. Overall, it was just "pretty good". We also tried the kalua pork tacos, which were also pretty good, but not great. I may return one day, but won't make a special trip considering the prices ($20 for a half chicken).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so experienceFeliseNaVDaDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I just moved to West Seattle and have been trying some new restaurants around the area. We found Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whiskey to be so-so. We were not aware that you had to 'reserve' a chicken and asked our waitress to check if there were any left. She took quite a while to check and when she came back to us she asked us what we would like to order... totally forgetting we asked her to check on the chicken. There ended up being a half chicken left, so we tried that, and also ordered the Poke. The Poke was delicious. The food was good, but we found the menu and food style confusing. Overall, not a bad experience, but nothing we will be telling our friends about...Special Features:
- Valentines' day treatchcubDined on 2/14/2014We have eaten at this restaurant numerous times and have always had a great meal. The fried chicken is great. They had a special menu for valentines' day and it was exceptional. Each course was unique and a new taste experience. The oysters with a sauce I can neither spell nor pronounce left me begging for more. The rest of the meal lived up to its beginning. We are lucky to have such a gem in our neighborhood. If you go for the chicken be sure to order the Kalua pork tacos, they are killers.Special Features:
- It was okay - but wished for...VdaycoupleDined on 2/14/2014better flavors - the fried chicken was good, but my date's piece was a bit undercooked/greasy. In addition, the server recommended upgrading to their curry rice, which we both didn't quite enjoy. The steamed buns that we had ordered as an appetizer was the best of everything we had ordered and weren't wow'ed by the main entree. The loco moco is a fantastic dish that they had added in too many competing flavors that made it not taste like traditional loco moco. In addition we had ordered a drink that never came and had to correct our bill at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.