Il Fornaio - Burlingame
327 Lorton Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6503758000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday 10:00 - 11:00am & Sunday: 9:00 - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Mazzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available upon special request. Please contact our Event Coordinator for more details: email@example.com.
- Special Events: We welcome the opportunity to plan your next private dining occasion.
Please contact our Event Coordinator at 650.375.8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Il Fornaio - Burlingame
Il Fornaio is renowned for its authentic award winning Italian cuisine. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Annual winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (91)good for groups (90)great for lunch (85)special occasion (72)great for brunch (61)fit for foodies (58)kid-friendly (55)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (20)hot spot (19)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Super StargrammystarVIPDined on 6/14/2014The Cappellacci di Zucca was the star of the evening. This classic butternut squash ravioli combines complex flavors and textures to create a memorable taste sensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Waitress lost our order, manager brought out an abundance of appetizers while we waited for our orders, which was great.Special Features:
- always a warm welcomeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Karina our favorite waitress is always so warm, always busy but always give us a chat and asks how our family is doing... food consistently good and we love the festa regionale gives us an opportunity or not to try something new....Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantDickDined on 6/12/2014Always enjoy this restaurant. Good service, great food, close to where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Il FornaioLexophileVIPDined on 6/11/2014Consistently great food at all Il Fornaios. I can count on them for a good business dinner. The mixed seafood grill is my favorite.
- Great Place2fansDined on 6/10/2014We are long-time Il Fornaio fans and visit whenever we are in the vicinity of one. The Burlingame one is outstanding both in its free-standing neighborhood location and the quality of the food. The service is attentive and friendly, giving the location an up beat and enjoyable vibe. The monthly regional "Festas" feature authentic fare from the various regions of Italy.Special Features:
- Food and service good; too noisymikiecurlyDined on 6/7/2014Food quality very good, with good portions of food. Waiter was excellent and attentive. However, as is typically the case at this Il Forniao, it was much too noisy. It was so noisy that it was difficult to hear the people at our table talk to me. I assume it is not just the crowd of people at the restaurant, but the acoustics in the design. The noise level is my one big objection to coming here. In a way, I don't really know why I keep coming back -- maybe it's because my wife likes the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unimpressivemimiDined on 6/4/2014i have been to il fornaio in the past, many times, and i wait many years in between visits. Now i remember why. Food is unimpressive. Our server seemed to want to talk over our heads instead of directing her answers to us. Drinks were tasty! Busboys very pleasant. And hostess very pleasant.Special Features:
- The following 1656 reviews are from the Il Fornaio - Burlingame reviews archive.
- Good food, noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014We had dinner on a Saturday night, the food was good but we could not hear as the noise level was way over the top. I would recommend lunch but not for dinner, way too noisy, not a place to meet for good conversation.Special Features:
- PastaDuffyDined on 5/31/2014I was in town for a half marathon and wanted pasta the night before. This was the perfect place with many different options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go for BrunchSushiblackVIPDined on 5/31/2014I took a friend for Saturday Brunch and was very disappointed. The leather chair had food smeared on it, the menu was also sticky with ketchup on it, and the eggs were less than appetizing. I noted that several of those around that ordered eggs were not finishing them. I like this restaurant, but wouldn't go back for Brunch.
- The food was very goodPeteDined on 5/30/2014We were seated by a small table by the bar. The space was crowded by people standing behind the bar stools, passing servers etc. not the best place. That evening the restaurant was very busy. We had to wait about 15 min. (Eventhough we had a reservation) to be seatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 2Love2dineDined on 5/30/2014Seated between 2 large loud parties. Not enough room in between tables. Appetizers were brought out with dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently mediocreLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 5/30/2014They really need to turn up the notch on food and service! The location and ambience are great, but it could be so much better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still in love!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2014As usual - Il Fornaio delivered in every way! Starting with the host to the busman to the server - all delivered excellent service! Than the food! DELISH!!!!! Thank you for another treat filled experience! Our visiting Pennsylvania relatives ALWAYS ask to dine @ Il Fornaio at least once if not twice while they're here!Special Features:
- Noisy, noisy, and noisyMaryamVIPDined on 5/28/2014Could not hear each other tall... But the food was good.Special Features:
- A great standbyAncientGreekDined on 5/28/2014This place is always reliable for good food and good service. I use it to catch up with old friends in the evenings, as well as a good place to conduct business during the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor foodFoodfanVIPDined on 5/26/2014THE spinach salad ordered today was perhaps the most unpleasant dish of recent experience. The spinach was flabby, the dressing underseasoned, the bacon minimal. The flatbread was equally poor. The crust, if one might call it that was also flabby and soggy except for perhaps the first quarter inch around the edge. Cheese bland, tomato unskinned, so that each time one tried to bite the tomato in half the entire tomato came off the flatbread and dangled from one's mouth. The waitperson was very kind and took the flatbread off our bill - which we had NOT asked for, nor did we expect. The Burlingame Il Fornaio has the poorest quality of any one of this usually fairly good chain. Good for the waitstaff for making the meal pleasant at least.
- The regular menuLainaDined on 5/25/2014We normally eat the Festa Regionale menus at the Carmel Il Fornaio, but when we go to San Francisco, we always stop at the Burlingame Il Fornaio. We had a lovely Sunday lunch there: an extremely good pizza and chianti wine. The bread and absolutely delicious olive oil and Balsamic vinegar were almost enough for a meal. Always excellent. The regular menu is inspired!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodieDined on 5/24/2014We had party of 8 and food came pretty quick. I had the beet salad which I thought I got a lot of salad for the price. Also had the pasta with pesto which was really good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good standbylal1Dined on 5/24/2014Been here several times. Always popular and crowded. Definitely make reservations! This time my wife's ravioli from the regular menu was fantastic. Fresh, flavorful, tender, and the fresh tomato sauce was delicious. My seafood pasta on the specials list was not as flavorful. I would have to say that it was bland, and not very special. Service was great, even though our waiter had quite a large crowd to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very expensiveanniefoodieDined on 5/24/2014The ambience was wonderful, the wine was smooth, the food was delicious but very small portions with a hefty price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014Great service and delicious food time and time again!Special Features:
- Great salad!cbozoDined on 5/20/2014my companion ordered a cobb-like salad with chicken which is not listed on the dinner menu, it was yummy-delicious and filling. I will order that again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/18/2014The regional Italian Tasting menu continues to satisfy us. It is a good price, and the different food choices for the tasting menu are memorable. They did run out of the recommend wine to accompany the regional food tasting menu. I will grant them a mulligan this time.Special Features:
- ConsistentLuvv2dineVIPDined on 5/18/2014Excellent as always! I love the omelets, and a most pleasant dining spot for brunch!Special Features:
- this location has lost its magicFoodiesf65VIPDined on 5/18/2014I have been dining at this neighborhood Il Forniao for literally a decade, if not longer. You can really see and feel that the quality of food, the general passion for the bringing a bit of Italy to an American diner and the level of training of floor staff is simply not where it used to be. So many things to comment on from this last visit but in particular order: the brunch menu has not changed in years and many of the breakfast concoctions are just flat out uninspiring the to go panneteria as you enter looks like an after thought; case are normally empty or very sparse and staffing is invisible; on sunday, our top order just sat in the kitchen counter waiting to be picked up for literally 10 minutes; This location has lost its magic.
- Great Friday NightOregonRooster12Dined on 5/16/2014We traveled 400 miles to visit the peninsula where we lived for 30 years. Il Fornaio was one of our favorites, and it lived up to all our expectations once again. The food was great, service attentive without being intrusive, and the atmosphere was lively, yet remained in the background. All-in-all, it was a great time.Special Features:
- Best in BurlingameSpenceDined on 5/11/2014I have probably dined here 50 times. Never had a bad meal. Service has always been very good. Great menu and the best place in Burlingame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Good food and excellent ambiance. Went on Mother's Day with a reservation, and had to wait 30 minutes beyond reserved time. They were apologetic, but offered nothing beyond that. A glass of wine or something would have been nice, but nothing to me or the others who suffered same fate. Could have alerted me and others by text etc. in this day of electronics, but no attempt at that. Next time will contact them or any other restaurant I visit to check on their keeping reserved time.Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant atmosphereMarieDined on 5/11/2014We had a delicious Mother's Day brunch. Great food, the service could have been more timely and attentive, but we understood it was one of their busiest days of the year. We are looking forward to returning on a less busy day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope you can hear well!catmoDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is very open and nicely appointed BUT, the service was slow and incomplete. The dessert tray was not brought table side and as a consequence we didn't get what we would have ordered if we'd been able to see the cart. The food is passable, nothing exceptional and overpriced for what you get. There are several of these around, Carmel, Los Angeles and Burlingame as well as The City. We won't be going back any time soon. Oh yeah, don't expect to have a conversation in the Burlingame location, it almost feels like it was constructed for MAXIMUM noise.
- Still a favoriteystenderDined on 5/10/2014We had another great dining experience. Food was excellent. We ordered the tuna salad and the roast chicken. Tuna was perfectly seared rare which seems like is a challenge for many restaurants. My only issue was our server. She was friendly and knowledgable when there. However, we never saw her again between ordering and until she asked if we were done with our meal and wanted desert. We had actually needed a couple of things and flagged other servers down. Not sure if she had tables on the other side of the restaurant but we did not even see her walking around anywhere. This is unusual for this restaurant. Though they are always very busy I have always felt attended to but it won't stop me from coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/7/2014out of 3 of us - none had a meal that was tasty. Food very bland
- My experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Antipasto very poor Veggies on dishes cheap Service very slowSpecial Features:
- BettyDined on 5/2/2014We love Il Fornaio in Burlingame (going there for 30 years!) but this time our table was at the corner of the bar. The waiters couldn't walk and at one point one spilled a pitcher with water on the floor. The bar was full and people spilled over our table and the noise increased as the crowd drunk more drinks. We ate fast and left. The manager was in agreement with us, we got a complementary dessert for next time .....but dinner was spoilled. They shouldn't have a table in that particular place.Special Features:
- Always great!PeninsulagalDined on 4/30/2014Great dinner...my daughter (7) loves Il Fornaio to celebrate her birthday...makes her feel grown-up. Fantastic seafood. We had fresh grilled prawns, pizza, pasta. Great desserts too!Special Features:
- Grown-up son's birthdaymotherof3Dined on 4/29/2014We have been to Il Fornaio several times -- our go-to place when we want to impress someone we're entertaining. Usually we are not disappointed, but this time we were. The menu did not really include up-market steaks, food seemed old and stale, and the service was basically inattentive and random. One person at our table of six was not disappointed. That was unusual. Our memories were better than that.Special Features:
- Picks4CarolDined on 4/29/2014I use Il Fornaio as my "go to" place for lunch meetings. The food is always perfect - salads fresh, minestrone soup perfectly seasoned, and a menu with something for everyone. The waitress wasn't particularly charming at this most recent lunch get-together, but she got the orders right and was efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perception vs RealityOnTOPofITVIPDined on 4/27/2014I have been to Il Fornaio all around California and have come to the conclusion the Burlingame restaurant is far the worst... The Entrees are void of flavor and salads are drowned in dressings.