Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: 7817498200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (53)romantic (42)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (36)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (22)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- The food was fabulous! A bitreviewerDined on 4/12/2014The food was fabulous! A bit noisy but would return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Went for an anniversary dinner last weekend. The restaurant was hopping, glad we made a reservation. Sat in the bar to have a drink and app before dinner. The table was ready but we weren't in a hurry- the hostess graciously bumped the table for another 20 min at our request. The drinks were good, although my husband was disappointed his Guinness wasn't in the appropriate glass. Bar pizza app was overdone, but not enough to send back. Dinner was excellent, good service, good wine recommendation. The waitress asked if we were there for a reason and after telling her yes (anniversary) the manager came out a little while later with two servings of an app on special that night (yum!). Not a romantic spot- tables too close, loud; but fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to ScarlettOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014My husband and I went to Scarlett Oak with our 23 year old son, 15 year old daughter and her two friends. There was something on the menu for everyone and the beer and wine offerings appeased my son's and husband's tastes. The food was excellent. My husband and I had the tuna and haddock, respectively, and both were delicious. My son had the lobster roll, which came on challah roll and was overflowing with lobster meat. The girls shared pizzas and Caesar salads, which they loved. The place was quite busy, so service was a little slow, but overall the staff was lovely. We would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third time here.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2014This was our third time here. First time was excellent and decided it would be our favorite place to eat. Our second outing the food was terrible which changed our mind about going to the tavern. Our final outing, we decided to give it another chance, but it was disappointing again.Special Features:
- Always terrific!selectivesusanVIPDined on 3/30/2014We had lunch/brunch Sunday and as usual had a wonderful meal and experience. The thin pizzas are fabulous. We had three different ones and shared. My favorite is the "Harvest Squash", but the one with lobster is also delicious, as is the Margherita. Mimosas hit the spot on a Sunday morning. AND they use environmentally friendly packaging for doggie bags. Very green!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!YummyDined on 3/29/2014The food was delicious! And the service was excellent. Recommend booking reservations well in advance as it is always very busy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great South Shore TreasureLovestotravelDined on 3/29/2014This is a beautiful historic restaurant with great service and great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the foodErinDined on 3/29/2014I came to Scarlet Oak for my birthday dinner, with my boyfriend and another couple. The food was (as always) amazing. The waitress was good, could have been a tad bit more attentive. The only issue I had, was that I spent $30 on my dish and took home the leftovers(the only one from my table to take something home) but when I went to eat it the following day, it wasn't my food. Not only was I very upset that I got someone else's food, but the fact that it wasn't even someone from my party. It was from a different table! kind of gross that different parties food will be handled together like that. BUT, I will go back because the food is just to die for,, and I've never had a problem before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSuzeDined on 3/28/2014We went to this restaurant Valentine's Day & everything was perfect. Went back for a birthday celebration & ordered the same food. Had the pear salad again...only this time there was more bacon than lettuce. Four small bites of lettuce at the most. We all ordered the lobster scallop risotto since I had it previously & loved it. This time the scallops had a burnt flavor & the sauce seemed a little dry like it had been heating for too long. Told our server about the scallops & all he said was "I'll let the kitchen know". This dish is $29 so, a burnt flavor was not acceptable. I have had better responses for a not up to par meal at lower end restaurants. I don't mind paying a lot for a fabulous meal but, this was not worth the hefty bill.Special Features:
- Awesome Dining !!BobbyDined on 3/25/2014This was my first time dining here. Had won a gift certificate from a Gala. Was the best thing that could have happened. Excellent Food, Excellent service. I could go on and on forever. I ahve told my son and his girlfriend about your restaurant and how we must go there ahgain together shortly. Everthing was just great !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had a wonderful time everthingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014we had a wonderful time everthing was fantastic we will return againSpecial Features:
- Been here many times and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Been here many times and always leave full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not blown awayJeff22192Dined on 3/21/2014This was my second time. We sat in the dining room this time versus the "Tavern" area. The ambiance in the Tavern is much better as we were seated virtually at the same table as two other diners even though we had a reservation. The restaurant was not so busy that they couldn't space out the tables a bit better and given diners a more personal experience. The food was pretty good. We had steak and the haddock. The haddock was very tasty. I wouldn't recommend the crab dip as it was runny and lacking flavor, mainly salt. The wine selection was pretty good and the prices were reasonable. I would go back but I won't sit in the dining area unless there is a booth available.Special Features:
- as always, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014as always, excellent service and food. we really appreciate the remembrance by the staff that we were there for a special celebration, even though i made the reservation by emailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRachieDined on 3/20/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. The food was excellent, especially the Baked Ricotta appetizer. Very, very good. The service was just OK, our waitress seemed a little cold but she was prompt with our drinks and food so I can't really complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDpat38VIPDined on 3/16/2014Absolutely wonderful - food is amazing as is the staff. Cannot wait to go back. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGeec24Dined on 3/15/2014We took some friend out to Scarlet Oak and We all had a great time. The food was amazing, very tasty and flavorful. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The Service was excellent, our waitstaff was very courteous and attentive. Our friends were very impressed and are still raving about the the great choice of restaurant. We will definitely be coming back hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a reserversation andCaseyDined on 3/15/2014We had a reserversation and were seated to the minute, in spite of many walk-ins and managing other reservations. Our server was charming and informative and the food was excellent. It was a birthday celebration and when the celebrant chose not to order dessert a dish of ice-cream with a candle was brought to the table... no singing, which would have been tacky, just recognition of the day.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Always loved the food here and service is great which makes for a great experience. Love the free valet service Theonly thing i was disappointed about was the wait time. We made an open table reservation for 6:30 and did nt get seated till 7:00Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite South Shore restauranttastebudDined on 3/12/2014Not only does it offer a classy environment but it is always very lively, with wonderful staff and great food.Special Features:
- Good Local Fine DiningRAC2013Dined on 3/8/2014Scarlet Oak resturant is a local fine dining restaurant and has a great bar with menu. Tables are a little close together for romantice getaway dining but overall the meal and environment was excellent. I did feel like I was crammed into a corner with my party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014We were very impressed with all aspects of our dining experience. Service was friendly and a great help. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I didn't enjoy the food tooPumpkibDined on 3/8/2014I didn't enjoy the food too much but enjoyed the entire experience since we were with family and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No wonder it was busy on Tuesdaydiner21VIPDined on 3/4/2014Parking lot was quite full, bar was busy, dining room was serene and mostly full. Food was delicious. Only quibble (slight) was unsightly trash removal in several trips at intervals from bar area right down right past our table. Marred the otherwise handsome decor and atmosphere.
- I was disappointed in theHinghamDined on 3/2/2014I was disappointed in the food. The atmosphere, service were both very good. I would not order off the bruch menu again.
- Reservations on Sat. ?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014We usually make reservations early - This past Saturday we made them for 8pm - We sat down 27 minutes later - Ok with 5 or 10 minutes -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysSouthshoreDinersDined on 3/1/2014All the times we have been to the Scarlett Oak Tavern, we haven't been disappointed even once. You can depend on having friendly, professional service in a great setting. Every meal, whether beef or seafood, has been excellent. I would recommend making reservations if you're planning on being there on a Saturday evening. It usually gets quite crowded, although you don't have to worry about parking. They have valet parking if you care to use it.Special Features:
- experiencetoots1Dined on 3/1/2014Always a good experience at Scarlet Oak...except the parking..if you do not want valet..itsa nightmare. But the restaurant itself is great. so okay ...Whether you sit at the bar and dine or go to a table, it is always a good experience. One of my favorites.... Excellent service and food.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2014My family and I (party of 4) went to Scarlet Oak Tavern very last minute and had a great time! It was a bit noisy but our table had two wooden half walls on either side separating us from the other tables which made it very cozy and private feeling. Our waiter was fantastic(didn't even write our orders down, memorized everything) she was knowledgable on the wine list and came around to check on us and our food just the right amount of times. Food was great-I recommend the Salmon! Overall it was great service and food. They even suprised me with a flour less cake and vanilla icecream for my birthday at the end of our meal (Compliments of the resteraunt). Excellent experience and will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very Good servicemacar4Dined on 2/22/2014Food was very Good service was excellent . I was just annoyed that we were left waiting for 10-15 minutes after we checked in while other customers came in and were seated right away. Same amount of people in party also. Staff stated they didnt know we were there although we were right in front of desk . We weren't seated until I asked how much longer the wait wold be.Special Features:
- Very nice Sunday brunchMichaelDined on 2/16/2014Four of us had a very nice experience at our recent Sunday brunch. Nice brunch choices, excellent service, food nicely presented and well made. Tavern is very attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was small and uninspired.BeverlyDined on 2/14/2014The menu was small and uninspired. I ordered the scallop and lobster risotto. I have never eaten worse lobster. It was completely overcooked and extremely tough and chewy. As a menu staple, I would expect them to know how to cook lobster. My dining partner had the steak and what I think may be okra. It was hard to tell as it was inedibly salty. The steak was over seasoned as well. There should be a surgeon general warning on their menu warning anyone with high blood pressure not to eat there as the level of salt used during cooking can cause immediate hypertension.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePatTyDined on 2/14/2014We were told by several friends to come try Scarlet Oak, the food and serice was outstanding. I will definitely recommend to others and we will come back soon. I definitely recommend the lobster and scallop risotto and island creek oysters. We had Creme Bruelee and a warm chocolate cake with vanilla icecream for dessert outstanding. Hands off to the chef and the rest of staff!! Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnervsoalasdkjfDined on 2/14/2014brought my girlfriend here for her first time. she was blown away by the food and the service was great. only place on the south shore that knows how to correctly cook a steak to temperature. appetizers were phenomenal. can't wait to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable57chevyDined on 2/14/2014The service and food were very good. Love the old charm of the restaurant. Second visit, recommended to friends and relatives with gift cards presented. Only drawback was the table was small for the amount of food ordered and very close to other couples trying to enjoy Valentine's dinner. Look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Day!iesAdvisorsDined on 2/14/2014My fiance and I had a great Valentine's Day dinner here. Great food and the best service I've ever had at a restaurant. Only complaints are it was FREEZING (older building - seemed like the cold was coming through the walls) and the noise level was so high that we could hardly hear each other. Over all, a great restaurant. We'll definitely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphere,CamPDined on 2/14/2014Great food, great atmosphere, the food was great and the service outstanding. Great South Shore dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite ExperienceAndyDined on 2/12/2014Visited the Scarlett Oak Tavern for a romantic dinner for two. This was our first time dining here and I am really looking forward to coming back in the future. The menu was light but had a great selection. The wine list had some really interesting selections as well. The waitstaff were extremely friendly and attentive. Our food was so good, I can't remember the last time I had such a great meal. We really look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AlanDined on 2/11/2014I had some Island Creek oysters as appetizers, they are good but costs $2.75 each, not cheap. For entree I had the salmon and it was really good, definitely beat my expectation. It came with an orange sauce, not sure if it's pumpkin based, but it certainly made the salmon tasted even better. The salmon was placed on top of a bed of sliced Brussels sprouts and one more vegetable, they are delicious as well. After the enter I ordered a vanilla ice cream over warm dark chocolate cake and accompany by espresso, it was just amazing! The service though, is a bit slow, not sure if it's because the server needs to cover a wide area with a big fireplace right in the middle.Special Features:
- Great Spot for wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Scarlet Oak was terrific! There were four of us dining and we all raved about our food. Everything was cooked as we requested; from my neighbors very well done steak tips (which she said were the best she's ever had) to my medium rare filet mignon!. The waitress was very patient as we perused the drink and dessert menus. She joked with us about arm wrestling for the larger portion since my neighbor and myself were sharing a dessert. It was a wonderful evening and I would highly recommend Scarlet oak for a lovely dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.