Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: 7817498200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (63)good for groups (48)romantic (42)vibrant bar scene (38)great for outdoor dining (29)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (21)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Local Favorite!LeeLeeVIPDined on 5/16/2014LOVE Scarlet Oak Tavern. It can get a bit loud, but the room is warm and comfortable and the service excellent. The food and cocktails are perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014We were thrilled with the dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern. The food was, as always, the best around. The waiter was knowledgable, informative and helpful. One of our party was looking forward to the tuna and the waiter told her that the chef had changed the way it was served including the sauce. He then said that they could mke it the old way if desired. She was thrilled as it is wonderful and she would have been most disapointed to be served somthing she was not expecting. Of course reading the menu would have helped!Special Features:
- Ladies LunchPat2776Dined on 5/13/2014Our group of six women celebrating retirement couldn'have been happier with our choice of restaurant. The Scarlett Oak Tavern did not disappoint on any level.Looking forward to my next visit there.Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchFoodlover2VIPDined on 5/11/2014I was looking forward to the usual brunch menu but they only had a handful of "brunch" items to choose from & the dinner menu. I was disappointed. The service was slow but I'm sure it was due to the busy Mothers Day crowd.Special Features:
- OkayKatemiDined on 5/3/2014On our second visit we brought friends who had never been. It was Saturday night, very busy and at 6:30 reservation times were already out of control. There is a very young, inexperienced staff at the front desk who were not handling things well. After 20 minutes, one of us checked in, and was politely pushed off. When my husband checked 10 minutes later he made sure his displeasure registered more than a push off response. The manager came over, very apologetic, and gave us a round of drinks -- which was fine -- but martinis are meant to be savored while relaxed. Food was good, but extremely small portions for the cost. We were comfortable, ate well, fair service after first fiasco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but wasn't blown awayorfitnessdivaDined on 4/30/2014Had its highs and lows. Service was great but decor is a bit dated in the dining area. The steak was solid but the sides were just OK. I'd likely go back again but its not the first on my listSpecial Features:
- ServicesteveDined on 4/27/2014One of the best servers and she really made the dining experience very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!!!!PIPERVIPDined on 4/26/2014It was a party of 6. We all ordered different food and drinks and we all finished everything!! I love the vibrant bar!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!MikeDined on 4/26/2014It had been some time since we had been to the restaurant. There was a noticible uptick in both the preparation and presentation of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!Teach2cookDined on 4/26/2014Went with 5 other family members for my husbands birthday. We all had a great experience. Service was perfect. I only wish they would get rid of the paper on top of the table. In the age of being green, they must cut many trees. Use small table clothes on top and wash them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!LLG44Dined on 4/25/2014When you walk into Scarlet Oak tavern you feel like your in an Aspen ski lodge. It's warm and cozy but still stylish. The bar has a big comfy couch which is where we say to eat and watch the Red Sox game. The dining room is nice as well. The food is amazing! A comfort food menu wih bacon wrapped meatloaf as a speciality. Cocktails were so tasty, although the jest was much stronger than the second. My only negative pointers the service. The hostess was not there when we walked in, then arrived and checked her cell phone before attending to us. She was not friendly and not accommodating. We asked if we could see the dining room before deciding to sit in the bar area and this was an extreme annoyance to her. They need a new hostess ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/23/2014SOT always delivers - drinks and food are always spot on, as well as the service. It's one place we know we can go get a great meal and have service that matches the expectations.
- DisappointedsnoosterVIPDined on 4/22/2014The restaurant was quiet but food was not very good. It was a special lunch and we were all disappointed with the food.
- KaleighDined on 4/20/2014We have enjoyed Easter dinner at Scarlett Oaks the last few years. Great food and service.Special Features:
- I hope it continues to succeed!luvthesouthshoreDined on 4/20/2014Truly a south shore gem! Very nice people who work here and the food and service are great!Special Features:
- Easter brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The food was excellent, and though a busy holiday, the service was prompt, thoughtful, and friendly. I will definitely return. I would like to try the beer garden on a warm summer evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceEdconsultVIPDined on 4/18/2014This restaurant is right in our neighborhood-- we could go more often but don't because I honestly think the appetizers and salad are far superior to the main courses, which are ok but nothing special. The our server was wonderful and we do go back a couple of times a year.Special Features:
- AnniversaryBillDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I dined here for our 15h wedding anniversary hoping for a quiet booth;however we were seated in a small room with several large families making it difficult to have a quiet conversation. My steak was underdone and the baked potato side was not delivered with meal. We haves dined here many times before, and had wonderful meals, so this was a disappointment on such a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fabulous! A bitreviewerDined on 4/12/2014The food was fabulous! A bit noisy but would return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Went for an anniversary dinner last weekend. The restaurant was hopping, glad we made a reservation. Sat in the bar to have a drink and app before dinner. The table was ready but we weren't in a hurry- the hostess graciously bumped the table for another 20 min at our request. The drinks were good, although my husband was disappointed his Guinness wasn't in the appropriate glass. Bar pizza app was overdone, but not enough to send back. Dinner was excellent, good service, good wine recommendation. The waitress asked if we were there for a reason and after telling her yes (anniversary) the manager came out a little while later with two servings of an app on special that night (yum!). Not a romantic spot- tables too close, loud; but fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to ScarlettOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014My husband and I went to Scarlett Oak with our 23 year old son, 15 year old daughter and her two friends. There was something on the menu for everyone and the beer and wine offerings appeased my son's and husband's tastes. The food was excellent. My husband and I had the tuna and haddock, respectively, and both were delicious. My son had the lobster roll, which came on challah roll and was overflowing with lobster meat. The girls shared pizzas and Caesar salads, which they loved. The place was quite busy, so service was a little slow, but overall the staff was lovely. We would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third time here.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2014This was our third time here. First time was excellent and decided it would be our favorite place to eat. Our second outing the food was terrible which changed our mind about going to the tavern. Our final outing, we decided to give it another chance, but it was disappointing again.Special Features:
- Always terrific!selectivesusanVIPDined on 3/30/2014We had lunch/brunch Sunday and as usual had a wonderful meal and experience. The thin pizzas are fabulous. We had three different ones and shared. My favorite is the "Harvest Squash", but the one with lobster is also delicious, as is the Margherita. Mimosas hit the spot on a Sunday morning. AND they use environmentally friendly packaging for doggie bags. Very green!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!YummyDined on 3/29/2014The food was delicious! And the service was excellent. Recommend booking reservations well in advance as it is always very busy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great South Shore TreasureLovestotravelDined on 3/29/2014This is a beautiful historic restaurant with great service and great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the foodErinDined on 3/29/2014I came to Scarlet Oak for my birthday dinner, with my boyfriend and another couple. The food was (as always) amazing. The waitress was good, could have been a tad bit more attentive. The only issue I had, was that I spent $30 on my dish and took home the leftovers(the only one from my table to take something home) but when I went to eat it the following day, it wasn't my food. Not only was I very upset that I got someone else's food, but the fact that it wasn't even someone from my party. It was from a different table! kind of gross that different parties food will be handled together like that. BUT, I will go back because the food is just to die for,, and I've never had a problem before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSuzeDined on 3/28/2014We went to this restaurant Valentine's Day & everything was perfect. Went back for a birthday celebration & ordered the same food. Had the pear salad again...only this time there was more bacon than lettuce. Four small bites of lettuce at the most. We all ordered the lobster scallop risotto since I had it previously & loved it. This time the scallops had a burnt flavor & the sauce seemed a little dry like it had been heating for too long. Told our server about the scallops & all he said was "I'll let the kitchen know". This dish is $29 so, a burnt flavor was not acceptable. I have had better responses for a not up to par meal at lower end restaurants. I don't mind paying a lot for a fabulous meal but, this was not worth the hefty bill.Special Features:
- Awesome Dining !!BobbyDined on 3/25/2014This was my first time dining here. Had won a gift certificate from a Gala. Was the best thing that could have happened. Excellent Food, Excellent service. I could go on and on forever. I ahve told my son and his girlfriend about your restaurant and how we must go there ahgain together shortly. Everthing was just great !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had a wonderful time everthingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014we had a wonderful time everthing was fantastic we will return againSpecial Features:
- Been here many times and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Been here many times and always leave full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not blown awayJeff22192Dined on 3/21/2014This was my second time. We sat in the dining room this time versus the "Tavern" area. The ambiance in the Tavern is much better as we were seated virtually at the same table as two other diners even though we had a reservation. The restaurant was not so busy that they couldn't space out the tables a bit better and given diners a more personal experience. The food was pretty good. We had steak and the haddock. The haddock was very tasty. I wouldn't recommend the crab dip as it was runny and lacking flavor, mainly salt. The wine selection was pretty good and the prices were reasonable. I would go back but I won't sit in the dining area unless there is a booth available.Special Features:
- as always, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014as always, excellent service and food. we really appreciate the remembrance by the staff that we were there for a special celebration, even though i made the reservation by emailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRachieDined on 3/20/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. The food was excellent, especially the Baked Ricotta appetizer. Very, very good. The service was just OK, our waitress seemed a little cold but she was prompt with our drinks and food so I can't really complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDpat38VIPDined on 3/16/2014Absolutely wonderful - food is amazing as is the staff. Cannot wait to go back. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGeec24Dined on 3/15/2014We took some friend out to Scarlet Oak and We all had a great time. The food was amazing, very tasty and flavorful. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The Service was excellent, our waitstaff was very courteous and attentive. Our friends were very impressed and are still raving about the the great choice of restaurant. We will definitely be coming back hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a reserversation andCaseyDined on 3/15/2014We had a reserversation and were seated to the minute, in spite of many walk-ins and managing other reservations. Our server was charming and informative and the food was excellent. It was a birthday celebration and when the celebrant chose not to order dessert a dish of ice-cream with a candle was brought to the table... no singing, which would have been tacky, just recognition of the day.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Always loved the food here and service is great which makes for a great experience. Love the free valet service Theonly thing i was disappointed about was the wait time. We made an open table reservation for 6:30 and did nt get seated till 7:00Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite South Shore restauranttastebudDined on 3/12/2014Not only does it offer a classy environment but it is always very lively, with wonderful staff and great food.Special Features:
- Good Local Fine DiningRAC2013Dined on 3/8/2014Scarlet Oak resturant is a local fine dining restaurant and has a great bar with menu. Tables are a little close together for romantice getaway dining but overall the meal and environment was excellent. I did feel like I was crammed into a corner with my party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014We were very impressed with all aspects of our dining experience. Service was friendly and a great help. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.