4424A Urbana Pike Rd.
Frederick, MD 21704Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monocacycrossing.com/
- Phone: 301-846-4204x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Monocacy Crossing
Monocacy Crossing is located off the beaten path five miles south of Frederick. As soon as you walk through our door, you relax, you're comfortable, and at home. Our menu selections and extensive wine list will satisfy everyone in your party. So come, enjoy, be our guests!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Monocacy Crossing - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Monocacy Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (50)great for outdoor dining (47)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (38)notable wine list (28)good for groups (25)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Interesting menu; excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2009Interesting menu; excellent preparation and presentation - Consistently outstanding every time we go.Special Features:
- ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, AN EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2009ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, AN EXCELLENT DINING EXPERIENCE FROM START TO FINISH!!!!!!! EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN HOUR DRIVE WE WILL BE BACK SOON!Special Features:
- Had lunch and the food andfoodfan16Dined on 8/28/2009Had lunch and the food and service was very good - - a pleasureable dining experience! Try the artichoke appetizer - - delicious!!Special Features:
- Service & food were excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2009Service & food were excellent! Attentive but not overbearing staff. Since it is in a cell-phone dead zoneSpecial Features:
- Excellent food...courteousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2009Excellent food...courteous service...some interesting sides like "crispy spinach" that you won't find elsewhere...good for casual lunches or formal dinners...hidden gem status.Special Features:
- We bought wine by the glass.TomInMDDined on 8/12/2009We bought wine by the glass. Never before have we been served by the waiter bringing the bottle to the table and giving us a taste before serving, just as if we were buying by the bottle. I wish more restaurants would do that. Both the shrimp and grits and the beef medallions were excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The pork was pink and theDaveNBettyVIPDined on 8/8/2009The pork was pink and the steak was purple. Evidently, some like their food that way. Once it was cooked, it was excellent! A bit noisy. Waiter was attentive and there when needed.
- At first when we got thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2009At first when we got there I was very disappointed. Even annoyed. It was loud and sound was bouncing from every surface. The service was fine, but my glass was not kept full all the time. However, once I tasted the food it was amazing. The filet mignon I ordered may very well be the best steak I ever had.
- Always a pleasure to try newsoupiemacVIPDined on 8/5/2009Always a pleasure to try new things from the ever-changing menu. Great service and amazing flavors. One of my favorite places in the area!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable evening. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2009Very enjoyable evening. Great food and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Ihad dinner with a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2009Ihad dinner with a friend to celebrate her birthday. What a wonderful time we had. Our waitress was pleasant, helpful and attentive. We started out with the 3 cheese tray and asked for a suggestion of wine to go with it. The chef suggested a sparkling wine, Kenwood, which was perfect with our cheese tray, we also were given a complimentary second wine to try. For dinner my friend got the eggplant and I got the crab cakes. Both were excellent. The crab cakes were the best I have ever had. So much lump crab meat and no filler, I was in heaven. I have been to Monocacy Crossing before and have always enjoyed. We really had a fine dining experience. I have another friend who has a birthday to celebrate and plan to bring her hereSpecial Features:
- Excellent restaurant. TheCrisDined on 7/30/2009Excellent restaurant. The food was extraordianary, the surroundings casual and inviting and the servers attentive. The wine list is solid with reasonable mark-ups. The cost a bit on the higher side but well worth it. The type of local establishment that you recommend to others. I have been before and will return again and again.Special Features:
- Went for Sunday Lunch/Brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2009Went for Sunday Lunch/Brunch. We sat outside on the patio which was very pleasant, surrounded by flowers. Just got the Carolina Barbeque and Buffalo Chicken sandwiches. You may think that sandwiches are just sandwiches but this was not the case. Both took the tastes to the next level. The Buffalo chicken was melt in your mouth good, with the gorgonzola cheese. They were awesome. I would recommend it highly.Special Features:
- excellent eclectic menu, freshlsfcmhVIPDined on 7/16/2009excellent eclectic menu, fresh ingredients, attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- We had a lovely dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2009We had a lovely dinner and everyone seemed to enjoy their entres. Mine, the pork tenderloin, had excellent flavoring (sage) which I enjoyed. Service was slower perhaps than we liked, but it was an lovely evening anyway.
- Everything about this experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2009Everything about this experience was great. The service was excellent, the waitress assisted with all questions going way beyond what is usual. She was totally attentive and encouraged the use of the table, again beyone what is usual. The food is excellant, the most tender tasty calamari, I have ever had. My friend and I had salads and appetizers, cannot say enough good thingsSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent asOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2009The food was excellent as was te service. Terrific selections, innovative specials, and a wide variety of appetizers.Special Features:
- Dining at Monocacy CrossingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2009Dining at Monocacy Crossing is always a pleasant experience... never had a bad meal. We always take out out-of-town guests to MC, and they always request to go back upon their return visits.Special Features:
- We had a lovely 40th anniversaryLongbeachlindaVIPDined on 6/6/2009We had a lovely 40th anniversary dinner with our best friends!!!Special Features:
- Food was good, but a bit overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/29/2009Food was good, but a bit overpriced. Service was excellent.
- Tucked away in the woods nearOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2009Tucked away in the woods near the Monocacy River, Monocacy Crossing is not to be missed!! It definitely makes my top 10 list (a very coveted list indeed that is populated by the likes of the Coronodo Hotel in San Diego and privately catered meals at the Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles). I had the sauteed BBQ shrimp with lobster infused cheese grits. Nothing down-home about this specialty! The BBQ sauce was light, fragrant, and just a tiny bit sweet. The lobster infused cheese grits were literally to die for! A fresh garden veggie (that evening snow peas) accompanied the dish and was steamed to perfection. Their wine list is extensive and excellent. I would certainly go back again.Special Features:
- Excellent service and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009Excellent service and excellent food. A really nice touch is that when you order wine by the glass, they will pour a taste of it first to make sure you find it to your liking.Special Features:
- We were there for brunch andBabsDined on 5/10/2009We were there for brunch and sat outside, which was very pleasant on a nice day. The food was between good and very good. The service was nice -- complimentary "champaign" for mothers day. Inside looked pleasant. We'd go again.Special Features:
- We had lunch on a busy SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2009We had lunch on a busy Sunday indoors. The good news: Food was surprisingly well prepared and sized. The salads were meal-sized and fresh. Feeling full - we took half our lamb Shanks and NY Strip Steak meals home. Service was very good - appropriate and professional. Complementary bread basket contained a warm and fresh variety. Water glasses were topped off frequently. We requested a quiet table, but apparently there were none. It was too noisy for us. We were disappointed in the lack of a dress code. We were in our Sunday best among others sporting T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Salad and dinner for three without dessert or drinks totaled well over $100.00.
- We had a lovely lunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2009We had a lovely lunch and would go back in the futureSpecial Features:
- This restaurant had been recommendeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2009This restaurant had been recommended by several friends. My husband & I went there for our 29th anniversary. We made a reservation with Open Table & it worked out fine. We were seated as soon as we arrived in the front room at a nice table for two. The service was great & the food was very good. I am a sort of picky eater, but I found the buttermilk chicken w/ham gravy very tasty. My husband had the beef medallions & said they tasted good. I had a Mango Cosmo Martini which I enjoyed & the dessert we had - the cake w/the coconut cream filling (which we shared) was very moist. We would absolutely recommend Monocacy Crossing to our friends, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Decor is sort of historicsizialDined on 4/23/2009Decor is sort of historic country tavern/inn. Not extremely quiet, but noise level tolerable. Thoughtful and well-timed service. Food a tad pricey, but creative and nicely presented. I had hangar steak special w/ chili sauce (doneness as requested!), served w/ sweet potato mashers tasty enough for a dessert, and perfectly cooked pea pods. Partner had the pork medallions in sage & cider glaze (YUMMY!!) w/ scalloped potatoes which were cheesy-delicious. Creative apps, too (artichoke beignets, whiskey duck nachos). Nice, homey dessert selection. Coconut pound cake was sinful, but served a little too hot. A very pleasant experience & I would definately go back.Special Features:
- Food is terrific, with a SouthwesteBeatemBucsVIPDined on 4/18/2009Food is terrific, with a Southwestern flair and great variety. Meals and wine are moderately priced. Friendly, casual service. An all-around excellent experience!Special Features:
- This was a great restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2009This was a great restaurant, quiet and off the beaten path. The waiters were excellent and very attentive. The food was absolutely delightful. It is not a very noisy restaurant, my family and I were able to have good conversation without being overwhelmed by the noise from other diners. It was such a delightful experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Monocacy is a wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2009Monocacy is a wonderful restaurant with great food and service. Love it! Been many times and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- My experience was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2009My experience was very good. The food is great. Service was wonderful. Have dined there many yimes and will do so again.Special Features:
- Food was quite good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/11/2009Food was quite good but not truly exceptional. Staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Great dining experience! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/4/2009Great dining experience! We both had the seared tuna with crispy spinach and it was fantastic. The cream brulee was delicious...thick, smooth, and full of flavor. Will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2009The food was excellent and it was difficult to decide on what to try since everything sounded very appealing. No one was disapointed with any of their selections. The service was great and made for a very good experience. I'd have to say that I understand why they don't include interior pictures on their website as the decor while interesting is somewhat dated. I was also a little confused that the dress was noted as "Casual Elegent" but the wait staff was wearing jeans. Overall we had a great family dinner to celebrate my Birthday.Special Features:
- Great experience, very wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2009Great experience, very well looked after, food was wonderful. High recommend it.Special Features:
- Once we discovered MonocacyjoyofeatingDined on 3/21/2009Once we discovered Monocacy Crossing several years ago, we have been back many times and are never disappointed. Don't be turned off by the outside appearance of this "country" restaurant. What's inside is what counts, and boy does it. The menu is adventurous, yet you can find something for anyone's taste. Come with an appetite; the portions are not skimpy and the food is delicious. It's pricier than you would expect from a rural restaurant outside Federick, but ocmparable to D.C. prices. And the food and service is as fine as you would find in the more pretenious D.C. dining spots. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- They had our table ready aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2009They had our table ready a little earlier than our reservation which was great. The servers were friendly and ensured we were taken care of. The building is a bit small but that does add to its appeal. The only distraction was that by having small rooms the noise level can be high. On this occasion we were seated next to a table of 6-8 and they were loud. So we had to talk a bit louder to hear each other. My suggestion would be to put large tables or groups in the same location. It just detracted a bit from the dinner experience.
- Our server was funny and attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009Our server was funny and attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. All and all it was a very pleasant dining experience and we will definately go back.
- Monocacy Crossing is my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2009Monocacy Crossing is my favorite restaurant. It's a bit out of the way, but worth the trip. The food is consistently excellent, the service impeccable but not in the least stuffy, and the candlelit dining rooms give it a wonderful ambience. The wine list is extensive and affordable.Special Features:
- The directions were clear;OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/28/2009The directions were clear; the drive was nice. The building was semi-hidden right on the road. The menu had some additions from what I had seen in making the reservations. Nonetheless, the waiter told us the updates, and provided guidance on our order. The appetizers were tasty; and expertly presented. The entrees were great. The Veal was well prepared. The Rockfish was good, too. The whole event was pleasant and well worth the price and drive. We will mention this to our friends and family and return again. The restaurant was hopping; and the bar scene was vibrant.Special Features: