584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: 6172472931x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (35)romantic (31)special occasion (18)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- delightful cafeProfNancyDined on 10/11/2013We had a pre-theatre dinner here, and found it to be a charming place with very good food at decent prices. The special arugula salad was very tasty, and both the pork chop entree and the special fish entree were very nicely prepared. They have a nice list of wines by the glass. Service was a bit slow, but we weren't in a hurry. The biggest drawback was that in a tightly packed cafe set-up, it's really unfortunate when the table next to you is occupied by two people with very shrill voices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SeatsTWILLVIPDined on 10/5/2013We got stuck in the front booth and the heat was blaring from underneath making it extremely uncomfortable. Food was okay. Server was friendly and helpful.
- New favorite restaurant!luv2dineVIPDined on 10/5/2013We had another excellent dining experience at Metropolis Cafe Saturday night with some of our "Foodie" friends from the North Shore. Although the menu is what I would call small, it feels like there are lots of choices in each category. We finally ordered a combination of salads, appetizers and a fish and chicken entree, all of which were beautifully executed, fresh and delicious. Our very knowledgeable and friendly waiter suggested a bottle of the Sicilian wine they had on special which was delicious and well-priced. It was a lovely evening and I know our friends will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit bluesonefishtwofishDined on 10/4/2013Our second time at Metropolis was not a charm. The potato gnocchi with duck confit was lovely: light, silky gnocchi and tender, flavorful duck. Yum.The roasted mushrooms were nicely seasoned and the salad with pears was a nice mix of tender greens, and toothsome pears and hazelnuts - wonderful. The seared scallops were another story. While the scallops were sweet and silky, the portion was all wrong. We were served three thin slices of a scallop. On our prior visit we were served three whole scallops. What happened?! If the kitchen ran out of scallops they should have taken the item off of the menu, instead of presenting a subpar dish. Service meanwhile, while proficient, was chilly. Hopefully our next visit will be better.Special Features:
- We split entrée and apps andMsavage444Dined on 9/25/2013We split entrée and apps and still were full! Awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMuriel925VIPDined on 9/20/2013I have always loved Metropolis. It is small and intimate and the food has always been terrific. This time was an exception. The seat by the window was extremely hot with the heat coming out at your feet and the seat warm. I was uncomfortable the entire evening. I ordered the risotto and it was lumpy and tasteless. We ordered a bottle of white wine and the waiter did not ask about putting it on ice. By the end of our meal, the wine was undrinkable. It will be a long time until I go back if I ever do. There are much better options in the South End.
- Reliably satisfyingsouthendloyalVIPDined on 9/18/2013Go often to this neighborhood restaurant. The food is always good, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, and the wait staff is accommodating and flexible. Can't go wrong here for a great dinner or brunch that won't break the bank and won't disappoint.Special Features:
- Warmly welcomed by the staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2013Warmly welcomed by the staff and well served throughout the meal we thoroughly enjoyed brunch, especially the delicious Gazpacho appetizer and the scrumptious Frozen Raspberry Zabaglione dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sure ThingSteveVIPDined on 8/26/2013The food and service at Metropolis are always excellent. Two minor fusses: the restaurant is small, and tables are too close for comfort. It's literally elbow to elbow. Second, my yellow fin tuna was tasty but cold. Couldn't tell if that was intended. All in all, though, a reliably good meal in a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week valueLulu13Dined on 8/21/2013Best restaurant value. Food was delicious and there was plenty so we left full. Watermelon appetizer, tuna main meal and raspberry/chocolate desert. All were fabulous. Staff was very attentive. Love this place and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!ecn17VIPDined on 8/17/2013Great, quiet, small and cozy dining spot. The food is phenomenal and well priced for the area. The service is also great. We have been here several times and will continue to come back again and again. Reliable spot for a delicious meal, good value, and quiet enough to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This continues to be one ofurdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2013This continues to be one of my neighborhood favorites. People are always friendly, service is great and food is always very good. Highly recommend this spot to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingExcellentVIPDined on 8/14/2013We've been to the restaurant in the past and recently visited it twice within a two week period. The first time the dinner was fine but highly seasoned with salt and pepper. The second time we brought some friends and it was most disappointing. The waitperson was slow to get to our table and the bread arrived way after we put our order in. One person in our party had a dairy allergy and she received a piece of salmon slapped on a white plate with no sides that were offered on the menu. The dessert was rather bland and the interested parties did not even finish it. All in all, from the waitstaff to the food it was a very disappointing experience. Needless to say, we will be leaving this retaurant off our list of great restaurants in Boston.
- Great location for a date.rdkilleenDined on 8/12/2013Came here with my girlfriend before we caught a movie nearby. Our server was very helpful and knowledgeable throughout the night. My girlfriend's chicken was terrific while my steak was good, but slightly overcooked. Will definitely stop by again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise in the South EndXavierVIPDined on 8/10/2013This was my first time at Metropolis after trying many of the neighborhood "gems" in the SE and this was a very pleasant surprise: intimate, not loud, good quality food, well prepared though as a many restaurants in the US still could do better with a little less salt. The offerings are nicely priced and the place has a nice ambiance and I strongly recommend requesting a table by the bay-window as the booths are a little bit on the darker side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2013I hadn't been to Metropolis for quite awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see that the restaurant was even better than I had remembered. It's a small space but you don't feel overly close to your neighbors. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly, not pretentious in any way. We started with an asparagus tartare appetizer that was ample to share and was just so fresh and delicious. For entrees, I had the days pasta special, tagliatelle with rock shrimp and my friend had the salmon. Both were incredibly fresh and creatively prepared. The wine list is quite extensive with a lot of choices by the glass. All in all a great experience and a real neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropolis Cafe - August 4, 2013CabbageDined on 8/4/2013My partner and I entertained friends from Europe, and to cap the day off we ate at the Metropolis Cafe. The food and service were outstanding, and the chef was able to fulfill a special dietary request for one member of our party. The Gnocchi and Duck Confit appetizer is highly recommended, and my Hangar Steak entree was cooked to perfection. The wine list is decent (though marked up a bit), but the dinner at this restaurant was the highlight of our day together. Strongly recommended to any foodies out there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2013Excellent as always, superb food with outstanding service. Very cozy room for 2-4. Not good for a large group, for that go to Gaslight.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotFinedinerDined on 7/29/2013Had dinner here about a year ago and consistent with last visit. I thought the food was very good, portions were generous and prices were reasonable. Wine list also offered a decent selection. Restaurant is small and tables are a bit tight but high ceilings and large windows give it a feeling of openness. Service was attentive and professional, and food was served quickly, althought it was a Monday evening and not very busy. I definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not fabuloustad1232000VIPDined on 7/20/2013I think the menu could be re tweaked to get a better taste profile. The Sprouts were good, but salt on salt was too much I think the cheese on top of the meat didn't add a new flavor needed. The rest of the food was good. Only big complaint was the AC was not working well so sweating the whole time didn't make the most enjoyable meal. The staff were well appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French with a Mediterranean TwistOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2013People on another review site seemed to have great opinion about Metropolis Café but not quite in agreement of the categorization, I decided we should check it out. Metropolis Café is few blocks off the tourist streets, so you could see real people in for drinks or dinner. We visited on a Saturday night and the place was not jammed. We were seated right away with the reservation. Our server read us their specials - from which we picked the soup and chicken risotto, plus I ordered their gnocchi. We then had crème brulee as dessert. All the dishes were delicious, including the garlic and olive oil for bread. Our server was very knowledgeable and patient to let us try some dessert wines. Would definitely be back when I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth itpurplenailpolishDined on 6/29/2013This is so reasonable for the quality of food.Great meal! Acoustics aren't that great, it was pretty loud. Food was great though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013Long time favorite restaurant. Love the atmosphere, friendly service and consistently good food. I enjoy introducing it to people who haven't been before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2013Alway wanted to try this spot and so glad we did. Great food and service. Worth a return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2013Metropolis is the place I always try to make if I'm in the South End. The bar is great, the food is wonderful, the service is excellent. The atmosphere is friendly and intimate. As mentioned above, a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menuBridgiesDined on 6/20/2013The menu offerings were so inviting it was difficult to choose. We might even opt for a meal of sides as they sounded equally intriguing. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant atmosphere, convenientCassiopiaDined on 6/19/2013Pleasant atmosphere, convenient location, personable service, table ready at time of reservation. Food very good although they could improve in dessert area and know that you should never microwave a chocolate dessert- gives the chocolate a burnt taste.Special Features:
- Decent food for decent priceBoobooDined on 6/15/2013Food is good. Menu is limited. Many different salads for appetizers but not much else. Entrees limited to single item each of meat, chicken, fish. Seating is not really comfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & location. OK seating.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2013Very good food. Endive salad was unique & very flavorful. Risotto was excellent. Chocolate pudding cake was to die for - nice chocolate flavor, not too rich or dense, just yummy. Place is small. Nice bar area. We ate early before theater so not noisy. Too bad the seating is not very comfortable. Table by windows is good for people watching but window seat is too shallow. & slanted so felt like you're constantly slipping off. Not much space for feet either. Go for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost its MojoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/11/2013Used to be a neighborhood favorite of mine. Not sure what's happening. Food was terrible and the service was worse.
- Our favorite neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2013Fabulous food, casually sophisticated atmosphere and menu and superb wine list (including, eg, two Rhone reds by tiny producers I haven't seen on other lists). Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful. AandreaDined on 6/7/2013Consistently wonderful. A neighborhood favorite. The staff are just fun and nice to everyone and the food is always great and well presented.Special Features:
- metropolis could benefit fromdeborah1019Dined on 5/28/2013metropolis could benefit from a broader menu, but what they do, they do well. we always go early, before theater in the south end, and there is never much of a crowd. delicious bread, served with olive oil and roasted garlic. love that. nice desserts, good salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate, great, consistentSouthEndResidentDined on 5/24/2013Intimate, great, consistent food, great neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Needs better executionFussyDined on 5/24/2013This is a great little spot with wonderful service and an interesting menu, but they need better execution. My lamb loin was perfectly cooked and delicious, but cold. I hate that. My wife's salmon that had been ordered "undercooked" was undersized, over cooked and a disappointment. The portions are generally small, and the vegetable sides are particularly ungenerous considering how expensive they are. Finally, a $10 glass of wine should be a reasonable pour. Their's isn't.
- great food, great serviceMidgeDined on 5/22/2013We had an outstanding experience at Metropolis the other night. I have eaten there before and enjoyed it but the food the other night was fabulous. Fresh pea soup with truffle oil...delicious gnocchi with duck confit and my husband had salmon that was done to perfection. It is a cozy atmosphere where the staff is friendly and the prices are so reasonable.Special Features:
- great appsplaygoerDined on 5/22/2013Perfect place to dine before theater. We were three and we decided to eat family style. We ordered five appetizers and one main dish and grazed happily. We had plenty to eat and were able to taste lots of yummy dishes. The endive salad, the pea soup and the veal were really wonderful. The gnocchi with duck confit and the jonah crab thingies were good. The least interesting was the roasted mushrooms dish, which I had ordered. I think it was supposed to come with sea salt - perhaps someone forgot that part. At any rate,it was better with table salt, but nothing to write home about. Now I want to go back and try some of the dishes we didn't order. Staff was attentive enough and accommodated our grazing quite willingly.Special Features:
- When you just want a good mealsouthenderDined on 5/14/2013Metropolis is my neighborhood default zone. That may not sound like much, but for us, it is really important. We know that we can take out of town friends there when they want the South End experience, with good food and service all within a brief walk from our home. The menu never disappoints and the prices are reasonable. Without being pushy, Metropolis always holds its own among a field of ambitious restaurant offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Boston GemCharlieDogDined on 5/4/2013Went to Metropolis for the first time this Saturday evening with another couple. The thing that attracted us to Metropolis was the exterior - reminded us of a small Parisian cafe! It is a small place, less than 15 tables, and felt intimate right away. We enjoyed the salads, fresh and simple but flavorful. Great bread with roasted garlic cloves and oil. Nice wine selection. We enjoyed the risotto and the steak specials, also got the "charred asparagus" and roasted Brussels sprouts for sides. Nice ambiance, lively enough but able to hold a conversation. We like the neighborhood, strolled around afterwards, and liked the casual feel but upscale food options. Service was fine but nothing special, no complaints. Would go again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful...just go.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013Everything about this place is wonderful. The atmosphere, the decor, the service and most of all the food was so very very good. Hard to make a choice since it all looked fresh and delicious. I was a bit under-the-weather so I chose the roasted chicken and it was the perfect choice, so good. My friend had the salmon (wow, beautiful), my husband had the rigatoni (remarkable). The mussels appetizer included some of the best, fat mussels I've ever eaten and I've lived here 25 years! Not a mediocre choice to be had. On top of that the staff is great AND the clientele around us were very friendly and eager to share thoughts on selections. This is a friendly and easy place to enjoy an excellent meal with anyone you care about. Just go.Special Features: