584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: 6172472931x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (39)romantic (28)special occasion (15)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Place!! A MUST go allDanielVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great Place!! A MUST go all the way. It was perfect from beginning, middle and end. A true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotIltry1VIPDined on 2/28/2014An Aquitaine Group restaurant the conveniently handles valet parking across the street at Aquitaine. Small and good!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceJohnDouglasDined on 2/27/2014This was my fourth or fifth time at Metropolis. Why do I come back? The food is deliciously prepared and nicely presented. The root vegetables are completely fresh, the kale was amazingly flavored, the short ribs were wonderful. I give the wine list a top rating for very good wines at reasonable prices, most under $40.00. This was a birthday dinner which I noted on the Open Table reservation and the desert was served with a lighted candle. The service was knowledgeable and quiet. Finally, for a South End restaurant the parking is easy, with valet service from Aquitaine just across Tremont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereJamesDined on 2/22/2014Very affordable for the south end. The chocolate cake was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and DeliciousChiquitaVIPDined on 2/16/2014From the moment you part the velvet curtain that protects the cozy intimate dining room from the draft at the front door, you know you're in a special place. Perfect for quiet conversation, attentive and friendly staff. Asparagus appetizer is fab. Our table ordered short ribs, horseradish encrusted salmon, the halibut special and three veggie side dishes. All was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantLunlarDined on 2/15/2014We have been going to Metropolis for some time. The food and service have always been very good and the ambiance of the restaurant makes you feel that you are in a European city. The menu is great with unique ingrediants. The prices are ok but not as moderate as before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will keep going back...ChoobiesDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have gone to Metropolis Café for two special occasions and both times has been amazing. Rather than trying to describe the food, I'll just say this: Both times I left the restaurant having enjoyed every bite and feeling like I ate just the right amount of food. I think it's hard to find that balance where you ate to your stomach's content yet you don't feel you over-ate or sleepiness will come over you. My wife and I will continue to make Metropolis one of our top choices for special dinners.Special Features:
- Fun, casual place, good for wineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2014We got the mussels appetizer which was tasty (Pernod, fennel, tomato, fish broth) with lots of garlic. It was a bit over-salted but the sweetness of the fennel almost covered it up. The bread was top quality and the roasted garlic and olive oil a nice touch. Next course, was the Hungarian smoked paprika kale, the 'green salad' and the marsala duck confit over fettuccine & mushroom cream sauce. The kale was inedible - greasy, too much paprika I felt like I was eating fireplace ash. Sent it back. The green salad was fine- no complaints. But the fettuccine was like a solid brick of butter, fat and salt. The duck flavor was overwhelmed by the salinity and it was very heavy. Too hungry to send back. If I ever return, I will be careful ordering!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spoturdinerVIPDined on 2/11/2014This is one of my favorite go to neighborhood spots. The food is good, service is attentive and all of the staff are very friendly and make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectGilGirl57VIPDined on 2/7/2014Metropolis is such a perfect combination of a good comfortable vibe with friendly and good affordable food. I'm always glad when we choose Metropolis and when we don't -- often regret that we didn't. There are no pretensions and the food is very good. Comfort, cozy and friendly!!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, good foodJackVIPDined on 2/4/2014Cafe Metropolis is a perfect place for a romantic evening out. The decor perfectly captures the feel of a dim lit European bistro, flickering candles and cozy booths make the place feel really romantic. The food was nice but not as good as I was expecting. We had gnocchi with duck confit, sea scallops in a corn purée, and the cidered pork tenderloin. The gnocchi and duck were well prepared but a bit to rich and salty, the scallops were our favorite, really spot on flavors, simple but perfectly executed. T pork, which they so kindly split for us, also had great flavor, but wasn't as tender as I'd like. Over all this is a really nice place that's definitely worth checking out if you're a Bostonian who enjoys dining well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemTargaDined on 2/1/2014Had a wonderful meal!!! The restaurant is consistently excellent . All three courses were great. It's such a comfortable restaurant. This is one of my favorite restaurant for both brunch&dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special place on TremontbriogirlDined on 1/26/2014I've long been a fan of Metropolis, although occasionally unhappy that it has a limited menu. Three of the four of us dined on the evening special roasted cod. Well balanced flavors, perfect portions. A warm, intimate setting on a cold winter's night. We felt like we were in a European restaurant, no rush no hassle, lovely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, we had an outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/14/2014Once again, we had an outstanding experience at Metropolis Cafe. Friendly, attentive service accompanied by excellent food makes Metropolis one of our favorite restaurants in Boston. The chicken soup was shared by all of us. The veal entree and duck breast special were excellent. Risotto was very good, but too salty for my taste. Desserts were very good as usual. And the price - very reasonable for Boston standards. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never write reviews butBigdinerVIPDined on 1/6/2014I never write reviews but I was very disappointed in Metropolis! The chef had a date with the salt shaker. It was overwhelmingly. It was almost I edible. I never send things back. I'm too embarrassed! I was so disappointed and will probably Never return. I've had meals there before but never like that!Special Features:
- Our food was somewhat disappointingmaggie97Dined on 12/31/2013Our food was somewhat disappointing, especially my boyfriend's entrée of hangar steak and fries.. fries very burnt and steak very chewy and hard to cut. Maybe it was just the stress of New Years eve leading to such mistakes as I like this place and have had good meals in the past.Special Features:
- Delicious!WorldTravelerVIPDined on 12/27/2013We took friends from NYC to dinner- one of whom is in the restaurant business- and they loved Metropolis. Food was excellent all around, and the atmosphere reminded them of a small NYC restaurant. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice dinnerchuckmac07VIPDined on 12/18/2013tables are a bit cramped, but we like the decor. service was very good. salads were a bit overdressed but fresh. soup had very fresh ingredients but was a bit bland. halibut was nicely done but accompaniments a bit soupy. chocolate pudding cake was advertised as more pudding than cake, but while good, was basically a gooey chocolate cake.I would recommend this to a friend.
- more than foodRaoulVIPDined on 12/12/2013My partner and I have been going here for years. The food is both solid and inventive. The service is wonderful and relaxed. The place is small and cozy. It's a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale cafe great for a dateCafegirlDined on 11/16/2013I've been to Metropolis a few times over the past several years and it's consistently a charming, delicious evening out. This time my husband and I came for dinner before seeing a play. I love the stylish yet unfussy ambience. The food was delicious (I had the sole and my husband had a braised lamb dish, followed by good desserts) and not as pricey as some comparable restaurants. How nice to see this cozy restaurant continues to thrive at its perch on Tremont Street!Special Features:
- nice place for early dinnerRegulardinerVIPDined on 11/16/2013We ate here before going to the BSO at Syphony Hall. It was an easy walk from the Dartmouth Street garage, and then over to Symphony Hall. The service was quick and attentive, and the food was good. It was more of the comfort food variety than elegant gourmet treatments, but nonetheless fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Bad night?FussyDined on 11/15/2013We have eaten here before and were happy enough the return. This evening the table was far too small for our party of four. The service was surly. The food was barely acceptable. My wife's appetizer did not come as described on the menu. When my wife pointed out the missing item, the waiter returned and more or less threw it on her plate.
- Always a favoriteWeezieDined on 11/13/2013We live in the South End and this is the place we always take guests who are coming into the city for a new dining experience. It is intimate yet energetic, the food is always excellent and the waitstaff always friendly and knowledgeable. We list Metropolis as one of our favorites in a neighborhood of excellent dining choices.Special Features:
- I love Metropolis in the wintertimeSuzieVIPDined on 11/13/2013I love Metropolis in the wintertime… The lighting is soft and great and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. Just great. The food has consistently gotten better over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent choiceBuzz1Dined on 11/7/2013Metropolis is a South End restaurant that we return to often. Food is excellent and service and ambiance is very nice. The 2 drawbacks with Metropolis is the lack of valet parking and the booths are very tight. That said, we enjoy Metropolis a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, cozy, great atmospherePitoDined on 11/2/2013Really enjoyed this experience. We went with 4 people and all thought our dishes were great. Appetizer, entree, desert, all great. It's a bit noisy but that's not a big problem. The place is quite small but has a very nice feel!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemHungryRichardVIPDined on 11/1/2013Among the 30 or so restaurants in walking distance from my house, this is my favorite for a quiet intimate evening. The food is really good, the prices including the wine are moderate. Great service even on a busy weekend. This is the place you don't want to overpraise for fear it will be overwhelmed. That has already happened on weekends but try a weekday evening with a good friend for a sweet dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StarsSteveVIPDined on 10/28/2013Good food, good service, in a fun, cozy restaurant. Definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Great food and drink, greatSarahDined on 10/26/2013Great food and drink, great service - all around a great experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteSouthenddiner37VIPDined on 10/25/2013Metropolis Cafe never disappoints. It's the perfect spot for a delicious meal and bottle of wine with a cozy but vibrant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in the timingAnonymousDined on 10/20/2013We told our waiter before we ordered that we were going to the theater and needed to be out in an hour. The main course arrived at the time we were to leave, and we bolted our food in 5 minutes before scurrying out the door. The food was delicious and the staff was friendly. We wished the waiter and kitchen had managed the timing better so we could have savored the meal.Special Features:
- Hits the spotBaylaDined on 10/18/2013The directions on the web were wrong and we got lost and were very later; however, when we called about this, the woman was quite nice and even though we were late, they got us out in time for theater, and the whole experience (food, service, ambience) was all great. Just beware. There's no Tremont exit on the Pike!Special Features:
- Always a good experienceSoEnderVIPDined on 10/16/2013The food here is terrific; the specials are consistently good. Wine list is a little pricey, but reliable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful cafeProfNancyDined on 10/11/2013We had a pre-theatre dinner here, and found it to be a charming place with very good food at decent prices. The special arugula salad was very tasty, and both the pork chop entree and the special fish entree were very nicely prepared. They have a nice list of wines by the glass. Service was a bit slow, but we weren't in a hurry. The biggest drawback was that in a tightly packed cafe set-up, it's really unfortunate when the table next to you is occupied by two people with very shrill voices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SeatsTWILLVIPDined on 10/5/2013We got stuck in the front booth and the heat was blaring from underneath making it extremely uncomfortable. Food was okay. Server was friendly and helpful.
- New favorite restaurant!luv2dineVIPDined on 10/5/2013We had another excellent dining experience at Metropolis Cafe Saturday night with some of our "Foodie" friends from the North Shore. Although the menu is what I would call small, it feels like there are lots of choices in each category. We finally ordered a combination of salads, appetizers and a fish and chicken entree, all of which were beautifully executed, fresh and delicious. Our very knowledgeable and friendly waiter suggested a bottle of the Sicilian wine they had on special which was delicious and well-priced. It was a lovely evening and I know our friends will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit bluesonefishtwofishDined on 10/4/2013Our second time at Metropolis was not a charm. The potato gnocchi with duck confit was lovely: light, silky gnocchi and tender, flavorful duck. Yum.The roasted mushrooms were nicely seasoned and the salad with pears was a nice mix of tender greens, and toothsome pears and hazelnuts - wonderful. The seared scallops were another story. While the scallops were sweet and silky, the portion was all wrong. We were served three thin slices of a scallop. On our prior visit we were served three whole scallops. What happened?! If the kitchen ran out of scallops they should have taken the item off of the menu, instead of presenting a subpar dish. Service meanwhile, while proficient, was chilly. Hopefully our next visit will be better.Special Features:
- We split entrée and apps andMsavage444Dined on 9/25/2013We split entrée and apps and still were full! Awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMuriel925VIPDined on 9/20/2013I have always loved Metropolis. It is small and intimate and the food has always been terrific. This time was an exception. The seat by the window was extremely hot with the heat coming out at your feet and the seat warm. I was uncomfortable the entire evening. I ordered the risotto and it was lumpy and tasteless. We ordered a bottle of white wine and the waiter did not ask about putting it on ice. By the end of our meal, the wine was undrinkable. It will be a long time until I go back if I ever do. There are much better options in the South End.
- Reliably satisfyingsouthendloyalVIPDined on 9/18/2013Go often to this neighborhood restaurant. The food is always good, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, and the wait staff is accommodating and flexible. Can't go wrong here for a great dinner or brunch that won't break the bank and won't disappoint.Special Features: