The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
5501 N. Hacienda del Sol Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85718Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.haciendadelsol.com/
- Phone: 5205293500x
- Hours of Operation:
Terraza: Sunday - 2pm - 10pm; Monday - Thursday 11am - 9pm; Friday and Saturday 11am - 10pm
The Grill: Breakfast: Monday - Saturday 7am - 10am; Brunch Sunday 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bruce Yim
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Rooms are available for parties of 2 to 180. Available dining space includes outdoor dining under the stars in beautiful floral areas. Historic rooms such as our Library, banquet rooms such as Casa Feliz or Hacienda Room and the window enclosed Grill. Contact us for your dream wedding, rehearsal dinners, business meetings, birthday and anniversary celecbrations and many other special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Burns 5209011310x
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the Terraza Patio from 7pm-10pm; Sunday from 5pm-8pm. Live piano or classical guitar in the Grill nightly.
A word from The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol is one of Arizona's top restaurants located in a beautiful setting at the base of Tucson's Catalina Foothills. Breathtaking mountain and city views are captured from The Grill's dining room where you will be treated to "Spirited Southwestern Hospitality" and a remarkable menu featuring local ingredients from the resort's own organic gardens, local purveyors, and growers. The Grill's wine list, with over 850 selections, was twice bestowed "The Award of Ultimate Distinction" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine and has been awarded the "Best Of Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator for 16 consecutive years. There is a charming open air bar patio, a casual setting featuring our Terraza Garden Patio & Lounge. Live Jazz featured Thursday evenings, various band such as Latin Jazz, Country and Classic Rock featured Fridays and Saturdays; Blues featuring Marty Kool on Sunday evenings. The Grill features classic guitar and piano seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)scenic view (57)romantic (50)fit for foodies (34)great for brunch (31)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Enjoyable Experienceatlas1952Dined on 5/12/2014The view was beautiful. The food was great. The service was very good, and the servant was super friendly. A great experience, looking forward to doing it again.Special Features:
- Better on a quieter dayincredibleedibleDined on 5/11/2014We love Hacienda Del Sol, however, we think they do their best work on a non-holiday. We went for brunch on Mother's Day & needless to say, the place was popping! Everything was fine but just given the crush of people, it wasn't the relaxed, quiet, attention to detail service that we've come to expect from such a fine resort. We prefer a brunch food line indoors so the food doesn't dry out, especially desserts & you also don't have to worry about the elements such as leaves, twigs falling on your food when it's windy. We were seated outside & given the heat, an umbrella at EVERY table would have been expected. We played musical chairs to avoid the sun. We will definitely be back but we will avoid the holidays.Special Features:
- Great food and service for 20 yearsdianeDined on 5/4/2014My wife and I have been going to Hacienda del Sol for more than 20 years. The food and service at the Grill are outstanding.Special Features:
- Nice brunch with a great viewJeanValJeanNAZDined on 5/4/2014Nice place to go for brunch with a great view at a true classic property.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceLarryLDined on 5/4/2014It has been some time since we were last at The Grill. This was a special occasion and we went for their great Sunday brunch. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent as was the service and the view. Yes, it was a little noisy, but that is to be expected given how popular the brunch is. The view was wonderful and the walk up to the restaurant is always a pleasure with the variety of plants that one gets to see, many in bloom this time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hacienda LocalDCjanDined on 5/4/2014The Brunch is absolutely the best in Tucson. The food was wonderful. The selection was varied. The service and attention was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable Evening!Flagstaff3018Dined on 5/3/2014From the moment we walked in, impeccable service! Attentive staff, timely food order and delivery. Everything was cooked to order. We enjoyed a two hour experience for my Dad's 85th birthday. It could not have been any better. We can recommend the steaks, grilled shrimp and lobster eggrolls as appetizers. All the way through we received treats from the chef - cucumbers w/ straweberry puree, mini white chocolate drinks and some rolls with ancho chili butter - yummo! I look forward to going back for a more casual evening in the bar and trying the menu there also. Well done Hacienda del Sol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Evening for SixjanegailDined on 4/27/2014Have always enjoyed being at this restaurant because of the history and character as well as the food. Since our last visit, they have raised the bar in food and special touches. Our server was right on with his recommendations of Venison, salmon, broccoli salad, Filet Mignon, and veal and the evening was memorable for the truffles after dinner and the amuse bouche. The wine and cocktails were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Tucson's bestFoodDudeVIPDined on 4/26/2014Not inexpensive, but quite a special place. There is a renewed sense of professionalism about the service and while some of the menu offerings make it seem like the kitchen is trying too hard to come up with odd combinations, for the most part they work. And, they are good. On the other hand, is frisee about to become the new kale? Multiple items with that as an ingredient--and I can't imagine why. The wine list is extensive--and expensive. There are numerous offerings at competitive prices that satisfy, but if you want to show off, this is the place to do it. The Skuna salmon and the venison chops are exceptionally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Desert BeautyMarinFoodieDined on 4/26/2014Hacienda Del Sol is a lovely restaurant with true Tucson character; culinary elegance surrounded by cactus and sage brush. It's the perfect place to go for great cocktails and wonderful food. The service is professional and the ambiance can't be beat.Special Features:
- disappointingHobbesDined on 4/24/2014For all the fanfare this place seems to get, the food was average and overpriced. It was nice to sit outside but the music was way too loud to hold a converstation.
- Scenic View & Great Food!MomLovesFoodVIPDined on 4/22/2014My hubby read about this place so we decided to try it while in town. It is SO charming & the grounds are lovely but the real star of the show is the incredible view of the sunset! We had a great window seat to enjoy the view while we savored our lovely meal. We had a fabulous bottle of wine utilizing their sommelier's help to find just the right bottle & it was fantastic! Our waiter was friendly, experienced & attentive. Everything was wonderful from start to finish: live piano music, great food, wonderful ambience, incredible view, & great service. We will definitely go back when visiting Tucson.Special Features:
- Easter brunchfoodfreakDined on 4/20/2014The food was pretty good, but the wait to get in was long -- almost 45 minutes. Granted, they had over 800 reservations, but they need to figure out how to handle this better. Because I was in a wheelchair, we couldn't take one of the tables that were counter height, or that required steps to get to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HdSHumboldt40Dined on 4/20/2014As always, food & service were excellent. HdS is still the finest dining in Tucson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceTucsonJetGuyDined on 4/19/2014Great time. The wife and I went there for a celebratory dinner. Wait staff is very attentive and polite. Menu is a little short, but the food was fantastic. My wife chose the Filet Mignon. I opted for the New York. Started off with Lobster rolls and salad for appetizer. Crème Brule for desert. They add little nice touches. Before the appetizer, they brought out a pumpernickel bread with some sort of cream cheese and pickled onions. Very tasty. After dinner, they brought out a hot chocolate infused with cayenne pepper. Wow!! When we paid the bill, samples of their chocolate (also infused with cayenne) were given to us. If you go, be prepared to spend some money. Our bill was $150, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencekmmazDined on 4/19/2014Everything about our dining experience was exceptional, however it is the staff that was particularly notable. Attention, willingness to recommend items and individual interactions with many of the extensive staff made our anniversary dinner both thoroughly enjoyable and memorable. We will go back next year and hopeful for years to come.Special Features:
- Always a TreatdwellsVIPDined on 4/19/2014We try to get to the Grill every time we're in Tucson. The food is excellent, the service is attentive but not intrusive and the views are spectacular. It is a real treat every time. The pheasant served with polenta and mushrooms was delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious TreatTucson4682VIPDined on 4/18/2014We always enjoy a visit to the Hacienda - it is a special place and we enjoy taking guests .Special Features:
- mixed experienceGailGDined on 4/18/2014Food was good but overpriced. Same for the wine. $50 a bottle and up. I had requested a table with a view and although there was a table open the hostess said she could not seat us there because they give those tables to people who reserve further ahead. My reservation was about a week ahead. Thee table remained empty until shorrtly before we left.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2014One of the finest dining experiences available in Tucson at one of the few places which links the old Tucson to the present. The surviving dining establishments have been dwindling for years and the historic entertainment establishments, though irretrievable, which have been modernized into the present age while retaining their historic flavor have been disappearing at an alarming rate. First rate!Special Features:
- Great place for a special meal.NicknameVIPDined on 4/18/2014Food was very well prepared, menu interesting. The Grill is an elegant space for dining. Try to get a table by a window.Special Features:
- Reputation deservedjoelmDined on 4/14/2014The Hacienda is truly a wonderful place so different from all the modern Tucson hotspots. The food and service are spot on and the wine list is very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess missed the "mostest" partDisappointedDined on 4/13/2014Great food. When we checked in at our reservation time we were told by the hostess that tables were slow to leave and that it would take about 10 min and we could wait in the bar/patio. After 20 minutes we checked & were told that we had had not yet checked in! And that we would have to wait again! 5 minutes later a manager type came and assured us we would have a nice table (which we had asked for in the reservation process for my mom's birthday) and we were seated in the back of the restaurant!!! Our server was great and made up for the poor service until that point. Suggestion: If it is Sunday, don't leave the hostess area no matter what, she was very forgetful and explained she sees 200 people a day. Maybe a better system is in order.Special Features:
- An excellent brunchFoodDudeVIPDined on 4/13/2014This has long been one of those restuarants in the "Pride of Tucson" category. And after a period when things didn't always go so well, they are back at the pinnacle in terms of consistent food preparations and high quality service. Long thought by many to be the best brunch in town--complimented by the mountain views--it would hard to argue with that opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our only disappointment waswinealittleDined on 4/11/2014Our only disappointment was that we did not get a window table as we requested when making our reservation through Open Table. In fact, we were first offered a corner table with not even close to a window. We love this restaurant, but we were entertaining guests who would only be there once and wanted a window with a view. We usually get better seating when not using Open Table at this restaurant. Anyway, it's still our favorite dining destination in Tucson and we'll be back again and again. And next time we'll call when we make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- End to a great tripsanayesanDined on 4/10/2014Decided to end trip with dinner at the Grill. From the walk up to the restaurant to the table side view, everything was spectacular. I was in Tucson for just a few days, but if I ever return I will return to the Grill for any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, upscale spot.Diner801Dined on 4/8/2014It is definitely worth experiencing what is going on here. The Chef has a great ability to make the normal ingredient seem truly unique, and amazing! Pheasant is good, but I enjoyed the accoutrements most of all. Appetizers, and side dishes stole the show for me during this dining experience. Mushrooms were taken from average to truly incredible!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful breakfastFoodieAZDined on 4/8/2014I have enjoyed many events and meals at The Grill. The setting is wonderful for receptions, formal business dinners, romantic meals, and the bar is not without a great selection of spirits. However, my favorite time of day at The Grill is breakfast and brunch. The food is always fantastic and the service is fast and just the right amount of friendly. I have enjoyed every visit to Hacienda del Sol and The Grill.Special Features:
- Don't miss it!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2014Outstanding. We went for our anniversary and it was the perfect choice. Delicious food and great service. Restaurant has a fantastic view and lots of ambience. Classical guitarist serenaded us while we dined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Regret is.....laura360Dined on 4/7/2014Perhaps this is a life lesson that I have taken from my recent dining experience at The Grill: Hacienda Del Sol, 'I should have ordered dessert....' My friend and I both ordered the Reuben and declared it, "The Best Ruben ...EVER !" We should have ordered desert.....don't let the chance to order desert pass you by....in life or at 'The Grill'Special Features:
- Great, as usual!GrogsealDined on 4/5/2014Hacienda del Sol never disappoints. Our usual table, a different but very good waiter and the great menu and well prepared food made for yet another memorable evening. The special appetizer of spicy frogs legs were a treat. Might have been just a little less zesty. This will always be our favorite place for special evenings.Special Features:
- Lovely birthdayHolliberriVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food and atmosphere but thought our waiter was a little incentive. I'd mention his name but I don't think he even introduced himself. My husband and I both ordered appetizers and ask about size for sharing. He told us the portions were small just right for one person so we ordered the lobster rolls and mussels. The lobster was perfect but the mussels were much more entree sized. Wished I had just ordered a salad for a starter and the mussels for a entree. That said, we would still definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine at the Grill every yeardinner4twoDined on 4/4/2014Dine at the Grill every year on our anniversary---alwasy great food---great staff---great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a sweet anniversarydessert1stDined on 4/2/2014For late lunch in the bar at happy hour, get the fabulous sweet n sour calamari. The salmon flatbread was a lot of food, we could have split it and been full. After the Jacuzzi at sunset we regained an appetite for dinner at 7:30. Unbeatable view of mountains and city lights is a highlight of the intimate, historic and rustic setting. Dinner at the Grill was light and perfect scallops, and rich dark sauced pork cheeks, with excellent wines by the glass recommended by our server. The chocolate cake along with little surprises of tiny cups of hot chocolate and house made chocolates with a hot pepper finish. For breakfast try the buffalo Benedict and huevos rancheros.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucson 's rep diminishingPabuDined on 3/29/2014Great music Clueless waitstaff Limited menus for a place of its reputation. Hundreds and hundreds of wines but very limited, maybe 5% under $100. Those that were were very mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time I've been disapointedItalianaDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I have gone to The Grille many times over the 9 years that we have lived here and are generally very happy with our experience. This time, his appetizer, the Seafood Crudo, was less than average in taste; his New York steak was very fatty, both our main courses arrived at the table cool instead of hot, and the service was lackadaisical. The ambience, the view, were as beautiful as ever. But, I will be checking with friends as they go to see if we are having a downward trend in our satisfaction levels. I certainly hope not! f I had to go on this experience, I would not return.Special Features:
- Better Breakfast ElsewhereyumyumyumDined on 3/28/2014The omelette with smoked salmon was very tasty and full of salmon. Another guest ordered eggs over easy and they looked like they were barely cooked. There was nothing special about the food, but the view is gorgeous (we had a window table) and we enjoyed walking around the main building which shows the architecture of the period. The service was good and our coffee cups were kept full. I may return for the Sunday brunch which is said to be very good, but not for a weekday breakfast.Special Features:
- Beautiful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014Excellent food, beautiful view, great service! Don't miss a chance to dine here.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014We had a lovely table and the food was beautifully presented and prepared. thank you so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night putOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2014Awesome experience!! Had great food and an amazing view!They even added a little happy birthday decor in chocolate on my dessert plate!Special Features: